/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it shirk to read science fiction?

Mustafa16
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Such as star wars, star trek, etc.? these include such concepts as time travel, teleporting from place to place, contact with aliens who are like humans, etc.
as well as superpowers, and advanced technology.......is this shirk? I read on islamqa.info/en that it was haram but I don't always trust that site as it is extreme......
what is the opinion of scholars?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa16
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
also, is fantasy such as harry potter and lord of the rings shirk?

Saleem Khan
03-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Although the above is not shirk however It is not befitting for a Muslim to read. We must spend our time in beneficial activities and try to prepare for the Akhirah. Reading such literature falls in the category of lahw wa la'ib which is wasting time in activities that have no benefit. Some of these books contain certain elements that contradict islamic values for instance, stories of magic and portraying it as good. These books would definitely be impermissible. Nearly all of them contain romantic story lines. These type of things that contradict islamic values would definitely make it impermissible for a Muslim.

These types of literature create darkness in the heart and should be avoided.

If you would like a good website for islamic rulings I would recommend the following
www.askimam.org
www.daruliftaa.net
www.darulmaarif.com

BeTheChange
03-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Asalamualykum,

What is the general advice about fiction books?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.