/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone speak Farsi

noraina
03-31-2016, 09:33 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I am of mixed Pakistani/Afghan heritage, however my Farsi is extremely weak soooooooo I am going to learn it inshaAllah, does anyone else want to learn?
:statisfieيگ زباں کافي نيست

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
03-31-2016, 02:49 PM
start n teach :shade:

Hamza :)
03-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Count me in sister :)

MuslimInshallah
03-31-2016, 03:19 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Noraina,

Farsi e man khoub nist... but (twinkle) if you want to share some of your discoveries, that would be nice. It is enjoyable to learn new things, and language is a wonderful way to peek into another culture. (smile) And inshAllah, it will help you connect better with your parents.

May Allah, the Sublime, Bless those who strive to better themselves.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
03-31-2016, 03:59 PM
:wa:

Always exciting to learn new languages.

Count me in too ;).

noraina
03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
JazakAllah for the responses, I'll get round to beginning. We can learn together inshaAllah.

Actually, it was my great-grandparents who spoke Farsi, way way back their parents emigrated to Pakistan and then my parents came to England. So neither do my parents nor grandparents speak Farsi but I felt I wanted to learn. A beautiful language - I mean, it is the language of Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi and so many other Islamic treasures.

MuslimInshallah - ukht, do you speak Farsi, also?

Ruz-e khub-i dashte bashi - Have a good day!

Souljette
03-31-2016, 08:16 PM
I know a little bit which is nothing would love to learn

noraina
04-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Before my first lesson begins, I will first give you an introduction to Farsi:

Farsi is the same language as Persian, and in official documents or research papers it is known as Persian; Farsi is the Arabized form of the word Parsi (as it was called in Iran/Afghanistan), however, following the Arab conquest of Persia, there was no 'p' sound in the Arabic language so they used to call it Farsi instead.

Apparently Persian is an extremely difficult language to learn, language institutes, on a scale of one to five, give Persian a rating of 4 (with 5 being the most difficult). I disagree, perhaps for us Muslims who struggle with the complexities of Arabic grammar Farsi seems like a walk in the park ;).

Farsi is written in the Perso-Arabic script, those of you who are familiar with Urdu or Arabic script should find reading and writing Farsi is merely expanding upon the basic rules you already know. It is made up of 32 letters and has many similarities with the above mentioned scripts. Although they are unrelated languages, Farsi shares many similarities with Arabic due to Muslim influence and probably a quarter of the vocabulary over laps with Arabic (Alhamdulillah!:))

Also, Farsi is phonetic. What you hear is what you write, what you read is what you say, this is a major luxury in language-learning. It is also nothing like Arabic in terms of pronunciation, as it belongs to the Indo-European languages, it is extremely easy on the tongue for native English-speakers, many sounds are pronounced the same way in English apart from ق or خ. Also, Persian does share some similarities in vocabulary with English, more on that later.

I'll do the alphabet, vowels, grammar, vocabulary and common phrases bit by bit inshaAllah!
If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer!

Yahya.
04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Is there a huge difference between Faris and Urdu? For example can someone who speaks Urdu understand Farsi speaking people?

noraina
04-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Brother, although there are a ton of Farsi loanwords in Urdu and they both rely heavily on Arabic they are not mutually intelligible. You have to learn them separately because Farsi is more a European language and Urdu is more an Indian one. I think they did have a common ancestor but they went separate ways a long time ago. So an Urdu-speaking person wouldn't be able to really understand a Farsi-speaking one and vice versa.

Although their scripts are quite similar, which I found is a huge help with reading/writing. :).

MuslimInshallah
04-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Noraina, Yahya,

(smile) I know a little Farsi, that I learned many years ago. As for understanding Urdu... mmm... if you know Farsi, certainly this will help you learn Urdu, as quite a few words will sound familiar. But they have their differences, too. (smile) Actually, the more languages you learn, the more learning a new one comes easily, I find. But each one has its wrinkles.

May Allah Bless you both.

Yahya.
04-01-2016, 01:01 PM
There is a website for learning Farsi; it is called Easy Persian. It's in written form but to show the pronunctions of the letters audios are used.

I use the learning-set called AZFA (Amuzesh Zaban Farisi) in turkish language (also available in english), it contains 4 books and 2 cds. I just finished CD1 - Track 2 , where the grammar of This (اين) and That/It (آن) is explained.

I first thought about learning it when I read in an article that Faris is easier than Arabic. Maybe it'is easier (it's not long ago that I started learning farsi) but I like the pronunctions in arabic more.

noraina
04-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I know you are probably bored with these long introductions but they have helped me so much :p inshaAllah they'll help you. This is the last one I promise!

The vowels in Persian are exactly the same as in Arabic, like this, three shorts ones and three longer versions.

• To add an ‘a’ sound to ‘cat’, you’d write َ above the c
  • To add an ‘e’ sound to ‘beg’, you’d write ِ below the b
  • To add an ‘o’ sound to ‘top’, you’d write ُ above the t

As in Arabic, people don't generally include the vowels in their writing but as your vocabulary expands it won't matter.

Like I said before, Persian is super-easy on the tongue if you speak English.
The only thing you need to be careful of is the differentiation of ‘a’ (as in ‘cat’) from ‘aa’ as in ‘farm’.
They are two distinct letters in Persian which will change a word’s meaning entirely, this is from personal experience when I completely humiliated myself with a Farsi-speaker. Let's just say it was an awful mistake thank goodness it was with a cousin :phew

Yahya.
04-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Are you sure that it's pronounced as it is written?
Because I learned that for example

است is pronounced as س
Example in a sentence: آن يك (يه) خانه است (خونس)ـ

how it is pronounced is in ()

Mehnaaz
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Dear Noraina,

You reminded me of my late Abba jaan. *wistful smile* He loved Persian. He considered it one of the most beautiful languages. :) He had a masterful command over the language and my eldest siblings had the pleasure of learning it from him.

I am making very sincere efforts in acquainting myself with Arabic these days. Or else I'd have loved to join your group too. :)

I wish you luck. And I love how enthusiastic you seem about learning and sharing information with others.

May Allah bless you.

noraina
04-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalam,
@YahyaIbnSelam , brother, you are probably right. What I wrote above is the average rule but there would be exceptions. JazakAllah Khayr for the correction, I am learning as well :).
@Mehnaaz , thank you so much for your kind words, sister, and ma'sha'Allah your father sounds like a wonderful person - Persian is at once a beautiful and difficult language to master. This is an attempt of mine to connect with my heritage and I'm delighted and honoured that others here are interested as well. I believe this may be an ongoing thread so inshaAllah you are welcome to join whenever you have the time. :)

Yahya.
07-26-2016, 12:46 AM
السلام عليكم

Does anybody know some Persian YouTube Channels? It could be on topics like Islam, History, Politics, Geographie etc.

I am almost finished with the first book of AZFA. Only 3 pages left :)

muslimah_B
07-26-2016, 02:13 AM
@noraina

Where is the rest of the classes, il be waiting in sha Allah :)

I know spanish but im a bit rusty now as i dont speak it anymore as my spanish family dont live in thos country, i only speak it with my mum just when i want to talk to her in secret LOL

Arabic is the hardest language to learn ever in the world, if anyone is willing to do arabic classes like this, pleaseeeee do them i would be so happy and gratefull
I read at the pace of a snail LOL

noraina
07-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

It's been ages since I typed anything up here. My progress with Farsi has been a little slow, but inshaAllah I'm planning on picking it up a bit now. I like the 'immersion' method of learning languages so I was focusing on Arabic mainly - I think I know the basics well enough to study Farsi alongside it too. At the moment I'm finding Farsi quite simple gramatically compared with Arabic, and the fact I can read/write the script is a huge bonus. :)

Here a couple of resources I found which I liked:

http://www.easypersian.com/

http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl...untry=country5

I haven't been able to find as much resources as I would've liked :( The textbooks don't seem to work with me, unless I'm just too thick-skulled for them at the moment. Compared to Arabic there aren't many resources at all.

@YahyaIbnSelam akhi were the AZFA books helpful, would you recommend them? I might get the English version although they look a little expensive, lol.

@muslimah_B Arabic is one of the most difficult languages to learn, although it's beauty as well as significance in Islam makes it well worth it. Pronounciation and grammar are the most difficult things to learn, everything else compared to that is easy. Try out this website, I found it really helped me grasp the basics :).

https://quranicarabic.wordpress.com/...for-beginners/

Yahya.
07-28-2016, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
@YahyaIbnSelam akhi were the AZFA books helpful, would you recommend them? I might get the English version although they look a little expensive, lol.
I find them helpful, although it's sometimes boring to do the exercises.

Turkish version of the book:

At the end of the book is something like a dictionary, containing all Farsi words used and its translation.

Sadat110
02-14-2017, 08:11 PM
:salambox::hijab2:
Im an Iranian...My language is Farsi...
I can help you sister...♥

noraina
02-14-2017, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sadat110
:salambox::hijab2:
Im an Iranian...My language is Farsi...
I can help you sister...♥
Wa alaykum assalam

Ma'sha'Allah, that's great to know, and :jz: for offering to help sister.

Feel free to contribute to this thread whatever you want to, as you can see, there aren't any native Farsi/Persian speakers here :D.

I've actually just brought a book for learning Persian, altho I haven't started it yet. In'sha'Allah soon.

Sadat110
02-14-2017, 08:58 PM
If you want any help....Im in your service ♥
:Emoji48:

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-14-2017, 10:24 PM
If you want any help....Im in your service ♥
:Emoji48:
Why not create a "Farsi Learning Thread" on this forum, sister? You could post lessons in Farsi so that the members could learn, In Shaa Allaah.

Sadat110
02-15-2017, 05:54 AM
InShaAllah...
All of you do you know Arabic Alphabets?
because Farsi language is so near to Arabic language?
And Can I send here Power point for learning Farsi? :ia:

azc
02-15-2017, 09:35 AM
2 years ago I studied 2 elementary level books. It's really a beautiful language

Sadat110
02-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Actually ...
and Arabic is too.

azc
02-15-2017, 09:38 AM
If you want any help....Im in your service ♥:Emoji48:
plz help us to learn this language....

Sadat110
02-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Inshallah I will put here Powerpoints ...
Allah help Me...
:ia:

azc
02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Actually Arabic, farsi, Urdu etc appear to be as Islamic languages.

Sadat110
02-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Follow this Topic in this Adrress
https://www.islamicboard.com/general...-language.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.