/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to wear a skirt?

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Summer is pretty much here now and I want to go clothes shopping. I've never worn a skirt before and I wondered if I am allowed to wear a skirt in Islam? Of course my father says no but is this true? I don't want to wear a skirt to show off my skin... I want to wear one because it's summer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bhabha
05-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Lol yes you can wear a skirt but wear abaya on top

ConcealedGem
05-07-2016, 07:11 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

How long is the skirt?

Serinity
05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Alaikum wa salam.

I'd go with an abayah with the skirt, as to conceal your skin, etc.

Allahu alam, tho.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khalid Saifullah
05-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Wa alaikumus salaam.

Wear it until it covers your ankles too ... With a loose long top and hijaab.

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Lol yes you can wear a skirt but wear abaya on top
I'm not wearing the abaya... kinda defeats the purpose.

The skirt comes to my knees.

sister herb
05-07-2016, 07:24 PM
I wear a skirt. As it´s enough long, I don´t see any problems as it covers my legs well. Not all Muslim sisters use abayahs at all.

Or then I use loose trousers.

But I am a layman, scholars might say something else.

MuslimInshallah
05-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Wa alaikum assalaam Princess,

I am curious... what have you been wearing till now? And what kind of skirt do you want to wear?

Generally speaking, if your clothes cover you decently then they should be ok. Some women wear long skirts and long-sleeved shirts, some women wear loose pants and long tunics, some women wear long loose dresses, some women wear pants with a shorter skirt over and a long-sleeved shirt... there various different ways of dressing that are modest. And there are different needs depending on where you are. If I were in a very hot, dry country like Saudi Arabia, I would wear the long, flowing one-piece robes they tend to wear there. If I was in a hot mosquito haven, like Karachi, Pakistan, I would wear the shalwa kameez they tend to wear there. If I was in the capital region of Canada in summer, I might wear a long skirt and long shirt in silk or linen (if I can find them for a good price- thrift shops are wonderful!)... whatever is available, affordable, suited to the climate and modest.

(smile) And what is modest? (smile) It's what tends to mute the sexual attractiveness of your body.

On another point... (gently) Princess, I understand you are bursting with the wish to have your freedom... but please be easy on your father. Perhaps it is good for him to learn to let go a bit... but as a mother of adult children, I can tell you that it is not easy to see your children doing things that you worry are not good for them. (mildly) I have the feeling that you and your father have some things in common... if you can learn to be gentle with his flaws, then perhaps you will be able to instill such gentleness in your own children one day, for your flaws...

May God, the Kind, Help us to be good to one another.

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Wa alaikum assalaam Princess,

I am curious... what have you been wearing till now? And what kind of skirt do you want to wear?

Generally speaking, if your clothes cover you decently then they should be ok. Some women wear long skirts and long-sleeved shirts, some women wear loose pants and long tunics, some women wear long loose dresses, some women wear pants with a shorter skirt over and a long-sleeved shirt... there various different ways of dressing that are modest. And there are different needs depending on where you are. If I were in a very hot, dry country like Saudi Arabia, I would wear the long, flowing one-piece robes they tend to wear there. If I was in a hot mosquito haven, like Karachi, Pakistan, I would wear the shalwa kameez they tend to wear there. If I was in the capital region of Canada in summer, I might wear a long skirt and long shirt in silk or linen (if I can find them for a good price- thrift shops are wonderful!)... whatever is available, affordable, suited to the climate and modest.

(smile) And what is modest? (smile) It's what tends to mute the sexual attractiveness of your body.

On another point... (gently) Princess, I understand you are bursting with the wish to have your freedom... but please be easy on your father. Perhaps it is good for him to learn to let go a bit... but as a mother of adult children, I can tell you that it is not easy to see your children doing things that you worry are not good for them. (mildly) I have the feeling that you and your father have some things in common... if you can learn to be gentle with his flaws, then perhaps you will be able to instill such gentleness in your own children one day, for your flaws...

May God, the Kind, Help us to be good to one another.
I wear either the abaya or jeans mostly. I am not trying to go against my father... I just simply wanted to know if it was true that I cannot wear a skirt, one that comes to my knees.

noraina
05-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Sis, you should avoid wearing a skirt which sits anywhere above the ankles, because this is revealing your awrah, which should be kept hidden from non-mahram men at all times.

This time of year stores have the most beautiful maxi skirts and dresses :) I usually only wear ankle-length skirts (my black chiffon skirt is worn daily, lol) they are very feminine yet modest, and paired with a top and cardigan are a perfect match.

MuslimInshallah
05-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Princess,

(mildly) If your legs were bare, and all you would be wearing is the skirt... I personally do not think that this is appropriate. But if you were wearing some sort of pants with it (preferably somewhat loose pants)... I personally do not see a problem. The skirt would have to be loose, of course.

May God Bless you.

ConcealedGem
05-07-2016, 08:18 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Sister, as much as its really really hot now that summer is approaching, you should still remain covered in Sha Allah. Wearing a skirt up to your knees exposes your awrah. Everything apart from hands and face is awrah. (Also feet for hanafi madhab)

So it's best if you avoid wearing that skirt in sha Allah. Try to wear something that covers you from head to toe and is loose like what the other sisters have described.

سبحان الله it was boiling today and everyone out here was practically naked. :o I was surprised because despite wearing khimar and Niqab I wasn't even feeling hot, it was so cool under there 8) the great thing about loose clothing is that the air can come through and keep you fresh and hydrated in sha Allah.

Try it out with abayah and let me know how you feel. :)

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 08:44 PM
I guess I'll just wear loose clothing again then.

Instead of making another thread, I have one more question.

Are we allowed to watch movies that contain explicit scenes? So say you're watching James Bond or something and they kiss and go to bed together. Obviously they don't show the actual act but I just wanted to ask... is it ok to watch this movie? Or do you just look away when this scene happens and mute the TV etc. What if you're at the cinema?

Bhabha
05-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Let's see. This happens a lot specially when I'm watching films with my family who is not Muslim. I always look at the rating, they know I don't like to watch movies with slight sexual scenes. If there is kissing, turn off the tv during those scenes lol. And before you watch a movie just ask if it has sexual scenes, if it does don't go into the movie. It is so absolutely awkward to be seeing people kissing on cinema. I really dislike that and the further they go beyond the kissing, the worst [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] so I just avoid. For movies on the cinema I stick to cartoons or family movies, although somethings now say rated 14 and they are not for 14 year olds[emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji37]

Bhabha
05-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Im going to put some awesome websites with really nice hijab designs here

http://mode-ste.com

https://m.hijup.com/en

https://www.inayah.co

It has long skirts, nice long shirts. Cute mixes and matches that are modest but stylish ! [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Im going to put some awesome websites with really nice hijab designs here

It has long skirts, nice long shirts. Cute mixes and matches that are modest but stylish ! [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]
Sister I have plenty of clothing like this already ;)

Saleem Khan
05-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Skirts are too tight they reveal too much of a woman's figure. A muslim woman shouldn't wear such clothing in public that reveals her figure.

Bhabha
05-07-2016, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
Sister I have plenty of clothing like this already ;)
ما شاء الله‎ !!!!

This is such adorable clothing. I have a ton of abayas cause I like to wear tight clothing underneath lol cause otherwise I feel like I'm gonna get fat !

Although sometimes to wear a waist tightener and then loose clothing like this is good [emoji39]

s.ali123
05-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Are we allowed to watch movies that contain explicit scenes? So say you're watching James Bond or something and they kiss and go to bed together. Obviously they don't show the actual act but I just wanted to ask... is it ok to watch this movie? Or do you just look away when this scene happens and mute the TV etc. What if you're at the cinema?
Salam Alaikum sister! I am glad to see you again on forum, and on another thread beside the last one :P
Anyways... sister we all are on a journey to improve ourself. But this improvement don't happen in one day remember that. I remember on last thread someone mentioned not to try digest too much in one time. Instead of looking and asking for things which will are commandments directly, try to read and understand the very essense of the religion. No doubt outlook is very important, but Islam is not just how you dress up or look. It is said that when the heart is beautiful, the outer look of Islam etc comes naturally. Keeping this in mind listen to this beautiful video on similar topic :)
https://youtu.be/idl3woywMmU

Same goes for the movies. Jazakallho khair

Serinity
05-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Ask yourself - would you like to see your daughter / sister / mother go around in tight skirts?

s.ali123
05-07-2016, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by s.ali123
Salam Alaikum sister! I am glad to see you again on forum, and on another thread beside the last one :P
Anyways... sister we all are on a journey to improve ourself. But this improvement don't happen in one day remember that. I remember on last thread someone mentioned not to try digest too much in one time. Instead of looking and asking for things which will are commandments directly, try to read and understand the very essense of the religion. No doubt outlook is very important, but Islam is not just how you dress up or look. It is said that when the heart is beautiful, the outer look of Islam etc comes naturally. Keeping this in mind listen to this beautiful video on similar topic :)
https://youtu.be/idl3woywMmU

Same goes for the movies. Jazakallho khair
I felt I my comment could be misunderstood. So just thoght to mention it. I did not say nor hold opinion that you start wearing skirt saying that you are on way to ubderstand deeper meaning etc :P The lesson I wanted to deliver from video was that maintain what you are already doing and take little but solid steps to improve youself, by deeper understanding of the religion.

EgyptPrincess
05-07-2016, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
Ask yourself - would you like to see your daughter / sister / mother go around in tight skirts?
It's not a tight skirt.

As long as I still thought she was modestly dressed...

MuslimInshallah
05-07-2016, 11:24 PM

Assalaamu alaikum Princess, my dear,

Personally, I check the ratings of a film I'm going to watch. I usually don't go and see movies with ratings for over 14 years, precisely to avoid watching inappropriate content. I like this site: https://www.commonsensemedia.org It describes what could be objectionable in detail, so you can decide whether you want to see it or not.

(pensively) If you expose yourself to a lot of inappropriate content, it seems to me that you tend to become insensitive to it... and then you are likely to slide into ever more inappropriate things. Yes, sometimes something unexpected comes up, and we should look away. But the best thing is to try to avoid it, I think.

(smile) I apologize Princess, if I sound like an auntie. (laugh) I'm aiming more to be a friendly grannie, if I can!

May Allah, the Much-Forgiving, Help us to understand and be good to one another.

Serinity
05-07-2016, 11:31 PM
I personally have not watched movies in a long time. I don't like to watch movies either. Seems like a waste of time..... tbh. :D

sister herb
05-08-2016, 07:56 AM
^^ It´s a good to ask the minor things because from these we build up our life and our behaviour.

ZeeshanParvez
05-08-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm not wearing the abaya... kinda defeats the purpose.

The skirt comes to my knees.
And you are going to cover everything below with long socks or leave it bare? In either case it would reveal the outline of your lower half. I do not know of any scholar who would permit that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.