/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about the scholar "Ibn Zaytun (Zaitun)" (and also "al-Haskuri") ?

astatine
05-13-2016, 11:02 AM
While reading a book(Tunisia Since the Arab Conquest by Jacob Abadi), I found the following passage on a medieval Tunisian (Hafsid) Maliki scholar called "Ibn Zaitun" (whose name seems to be more frequently spelled as "Ibn Zaytun").

"The Hafsids promoted the Maliki renaissance initiated by Ibn Zaitun (b. 1224), who was inspired by the disciples of Fakr-al-Din al-Ghazi. The teachings of Ibn Zaitun were met with resistance by the old 'ulama of Bougie and Qayrawan but in Tunis the 'modern' 'ulama had the upper hand. Caliph al-Mustansir was keenly interested in the debate between the two groups and, in 1260, he nominated as qadi of Tunis a Maliki who was a disciple of Ibn Zaitun."

Apparently he was an inportant scholarly and religious figure of the time. However, I an having trouble on finding any substantial information on his life, writings and thoughts. The only source that mentioned him was Ibn Khaldun's Muqaddimah, from which I learned that

- he traveled to East in mid 13th century and studied with the pupils of the imam Ibn al-Khatib (I could not identify the teacher, but one of the pupil was the renowned Fakr al-Din al-Razi.)
- he later returned to Tunis
- he instructed pupils in Tunis with another scholar called "Ibn Shua'yb ad-Dukkali", who was from Morocco and had studied in East. (Ibn Shua'yb is also known as "al-Haskuri". Every mention of him I found recognized him as a distinguished scholar, but I failed to find any detailed account of this person either.)

Abu-Nasr also mentioned him in his work (A History of the Maghrib in the Islamic Period) as following:

"Although, in accordance with the teachings of Ibn Tumart, the Hafsids did not at first give official recognition to the Malikite school, they tolerated the scholarly activities of the prominent ulama, such as Ibn Zaytun, Muhammad al-Haskuri, and Nasr al-Din al-Mishiddali, who contributed towards its revival during the second half of the thirteenth century."

Could someone please give description on the life and work of this person (Ibn Zaytun, and/or al-Haskuri, if possible), or point me to some relevant (English) scholarly sources?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
astatine
05-13-2016, 11:07 AM
While reading a book(Tunisia Since the Arab Conquest by Jacob Abadi), I found the following passage on a medieval Tunisian (Hafsid) Maliki scholar called "Ibn Zaitun" (whose name seems to be more frequently spelled as "Ibn Zaytun").

"The Hafsids promoted the Maliki renaissance initiated by Ibn Zaitun (b. 1224), who was inspired by the disciples of Fakr-al-Din al-Ghazi. The teachings of Ibn Zaitun were met with resistance by the old 'ulama of Bougie and Qayrawan but in Tunis the 'modern' 'ulama had the upper hand. Caliph al-Mustansir was keenly interested in the debate between the two groups and, in 1260, he nominated as qadi of Tunis a Maliki who was a disciple of Ibn Zaitun."

Apparently he was an inportant scholarly and religious figure of the time. However, I an having trouble on finding any substantial information on his life, writings and thoughts. The only source that mentioned him was Ibn Khaldun's Muqaddimah, from which I learned that

- he traveled to East in mid 13th century and studied with the pupils of the imam Ibn al-Khatib (I could not identify the teacher, but one of the pupil was the renowned Fakr al-Din al-Razi.)
- he later returned to Tunis
- he instructed pupils in Tunis with another scholar called "Ibn Shua'yb ad-Dukkali", who was from Morocco and had studied in East. (Ibn Shua'yb is also known as "al-Haskuri". Every mention of him I found recognized him as a distinguished scholar, but I failed to find any detailed account of this person either.)

Abu-Nasr also mentioned him in his work (A History of the Maghrib in the Islamic Period) as following:

"Although, in accordance with the teachings of Ibn Tumart, the Hafsids did not at first give official recognition to the Malikite school, they tolerated the scholarly activities of the prominent ulama, such as Ibn Zaytun, Muhammad al-Haskuri, and Nasr al-Din al-Mishiddali, who contributed towards its revival during the second half of the thirteenth century."

Could someone please give description on the life and work of this person (Ibn Zaytun, and/or al-Haskuri, if possible), or point me to some relevant (English) scholarly sources?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.