/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being ridiculed

MorbidEntree
05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
So right now I'm in class at school and browsing this forum (we have free time with nothing to do and I have my laptop with me, so I thought why not) and I noticed that the students behind me have started to mock me. They have said things like "look out, it's a Muslim!" and shouting "Allahu akbar!" in an arabic accent.

How should I deal with this? Do any of you who practice Islam experience this frequently?

It just is really frustrating to hear all of this just for looking at an Islamic forum. :Emoji36:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MorbidEntree
So right now I'm in class at school and browsing this forum (we have free time with nothing to do and I have my laptop with me, so I thought why not) and I noticed that the students behind me have started to mock me. They have said things like "look out, it's a Muslim!" and shouting "Allahu akbar!" in an arabic accent.

How should I deal with this? Do any of you who practice Islam experience this frequently?

It just is really frustrating to hear all of this just for looking at an Islamic forum. :Emoji36:
Ask them politely if they have a problem, then go from there

I always gets these problems, iv had big men try to fight me, things thrown at me, harrassed etc.

Sometimes you have to be the bigger person and ignore them and they usually get bored or politely ask them if they have a problem which will either shut them up or start a debate/argument which sometimes i dont mind lol

Umm Abed
05-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Its something to be proud of!

Say you'r looking into Islam:)

ardianto
05-16-2016, 03:50 PM
People tend to ridicule if they see us look interested at something that uncommon for them. Not different than if they saw you look interested at Eskimo language.

What you should do?. Smile and invite them to browse the forum with you. Maybe they will wonder and ask why you are interested to visit Islamic forum. Just smile again and tell them "What's wrong if I want to know something or some people?".

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
05-16-2016, 03:55 PM
As i get older... more and more courses of action become available to me. It's just the matter of reflecting.. not reacting.. and if the situation arises again to find an apt response.

Throw some incredible verse, say clear scientific ones at them next time, like turning to them as though you just found out " Did you know ....... ? This is incredible! It's hardly surprising that people still want to know about it. And why is it you don't find (whatever they believe in) very interesting? I find Islam very interesting, does that bother you? ....

Kind of thing..

:peace:

MorbidEntree
05-16-2016, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
As i get older... more and more courses of action become available to me. It's just the matter of reflecting.. not reacting.. and if the situation arises again to find an apt response.

Throw some incredible verse, say clear scientific ones at them next time, like turning to them as though you just found out " Did you know ....... ? This is incredible! It's hardly surprising that people still want to know about it. And why is it you don't find (whatever they believe in) very interesting? I find Islam very interesting, does that bother you? ....

Kind of thing..

:peace:
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
People tend to ridicule if they see us look interested at something that uncommon for them. Not different than if they saw you look interested at Eskimo language.

What you should do?. Smile and invite them to browse the forum with you. Maybe they will wonder and ask why you are interested to visit Islamic forum. Just smile again and tell them "What's wrong if I want to know something or some people?".

:)
I might try to do this if it happens again. Looking back on it, now that I'm in a different class, I have no real reason to be frustrated with them. They are just ignorant (not as an insult) and I should attempt to educate them if the problem arrises again.

Thank you for your advice, everyone :)

Umm Abed
05-16-2016, 04:54 PM
I might try to do this if it happens again. Looking back on it, now that I'm in a different class, I have no real reason to be frustrated with them. They are just ignorant (not as an insult) and I should attempt to educate them if the problem arrises again.

Thank you for your advice, everyone :)
Out of interest, are they people of arab descent?

Maybe they just got surprised and said that, so its not all bad.

Yes do explain to them your position and that you want to learn more about Islam:)

BeTheChange
05-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Aslamaulaykum,

Sadly Allah Hu AKbar has been linked to terrorism and has very negative connotations these days.

If i was a youngster in school i would approach my teachers and ask them to deal with it.

I'm much older now so i would flip the negative into something positive and say yes Allah swt is the greatest. Thank you for agreeing :D. They probably won't even know what it means to be honest. Just something they've heard on TV.

If they weren't criticising you for being Muslim it would be something else trust me so don't worry.

You rather be hated for something you believe in rather than be loved for something you are not

MorbidEntree
05-16-2016, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Out of interest, are they people of arab descent?

Maybe they just got surprised and said that, so its not all bad.

Yes do explain to them your position and that you want to learn more about Islam:)
No, they were Mexicans and whites that were doing it.

format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Aslamaulaykum,

Sadly Allah Hu AKbar has been linked to terrorism and has very negative connotations these days.

If i was a youngster in school i would approach my teachers and ask them to deal with it.

I'm much older now so i would flip the negative into something positive and say yes Allah swt is the greatest. Thank you for agreeing :D. They probably won't even know what it means to be honest. Just something they've heard on TV.

If they weren't criticising you for being Muslim it would be something else trust me so don't worry.
I think going to my teacher or guidance counsellor at this point is a bit overkill. Just because it is the first time it's happened and they didn't say anything to me directly. But yeah, if I can't resolve it and get them to understand and stop, then I will have to get a teacher or someone involved.

EgyptPrincess
05-16-2016, 05:10 PM
No, they were Mexicans and whites that were doing it.

I think going to my teacher or guidance counsellor at this point is a bit overkill. Just because it is the first time it's happened and they didn't say anything to me directly. But yeah, if I can't resolve it and get them to understand and stop, then I will have to get a teacher or someone involved.
Just ignore them lol... it's not hard.

noraina
05-16-2016, 06:30 PM
If you wanted you could try to strike up a conversation with them and educate them, if it is too much hassle, just ignore them, as has been said, if they didn't have this to complain about they would find something else. They be bored teenagers with too much time on their hands.

Yep as you said for the moment don't go to the teachers or anyone, that would be overkill and create more problems than it would solve.

anatolian
05-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Accept Islam and give them dawah :)

Kiro
05-16-2016, 06:39 PM
You should go to them

Yes, God is the greatest :) ^o)

Serinity
05-16-2016, 06:41 PM
I'd much rather have them hate me than them ridiculing Islam. I'd much rather have them ridicule me, than ridicule Islam.

Just say "Allah SWT is the greatest, yes. And?" or something.
Allahu alam.

'Abd-al Latif
05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

Run at them with your bag and scream ALLAHU AKBAR!!

On a serious note report them. They sound like a bunch of brainwashed idiots stereotyping you. Be patient and speak to them with good manners as this is the sunnah of the Prophet (saw).

muslimah_B
05-16-2016, 06:51 PM
^^^^^

Omg please dont do that LOOOOOOOL

I think they would likely get police involved even though it would be sickly funny

Bhabha
05-17-2016, 06:46 AM

This is how it's become.

First it was antisemitism and now it's Islamophobia where just even looking at something that contains any remnant of "Muslim" or "Islam" is grounds for being mocked or ridiculed.

Now you know our plight. But it's ok, people who ridicule others usually have bigger problems in their midst, so just ignore them. :heated:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!