/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Person a Muslim?

LaSorcia
05-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Is is saying and believing, "There is no God but God and Muhammed was His prophet."?

Is it attempting to follow the 5 pillars of Islam in your daily life? (assuming you're Sunni; more if you're not)

Is it trying to follow all of Shariah law?

What if you meet the outward requirements of the law, but have envy or arrogance, etc, in your heart?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
05-22-2016, 10:20 PM
These questions only Allah knows and we are not in any position to answer.

First, Allah is most Merciful and Forgiving.

Second, everyone has those feelings in them (we are human after all)...

Third, we are tested hence it is a must to fight these destructive feelings and urges. That is where it's at.

So don't despair..

:peace:

M.I.A.
05-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Imam had a go at me for not trimming the tash short.. 84hr week :/

One nil imam.

*charisma*
05-22-2016, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Is is saying and believing, "There is no God but God and Muhammed was His prophet."?

Is it attempting to follow the 5 pillars of Islam in your daily life? (assuming you're Sunni; more if you're not)

What if you meet the outward requirements of the law, but have envy or arrogance, etc, in your heart?

In the Quran it says that Allah does not love the prideful and the will not enter Paradise, and in ahadith it mentions that the arrogant will be made into the size of ants to be trampled on or will be greatly humilated. Pride belongs to Allah only. We're judged by both intention and action, so at the end of the day the only one who knows the value of our worship is Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LaSorcia
05-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Lol, thank you all for your answers, but what I mean is, I guess, what would you tell someone who wants to become a revert? (I would say convert; revert sounds strange to me.)
What is the minimum required to become a Muslim?
Also, do you think it is possible to be a Christian or a Jew and a Muslim at the same time? The prophet Essa is who led me to God, but I am convinced that Muhammed (PBUH) was a prophet as well. I will never forsake Jesus, and I am not guilty of shirk, regardless of what some might think, but I'm curious. I have a strong urge in my heart that people of the book stop arguing theology and get along. Thanks!

greenhill
05-23-2016, 12:15 AM
That is positive..

Muslims believe in Jesus but do not take the Bible as a source as the Quran is the final message. But, still muslims hold Jesus in the highest of respects never condemning or faulting. (For those learned ones will blame Paul as the main corruptors of the message). Hence, the common statement about the Bible being altered..

Maybe I'll add to this later.. off to work now..

:peace:

Misbah0411
05-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Lol, thank you all for your answers, but what I mean is, I guess, what would you tell someone who wants to become a revert? (I would say convert; revert sounds strange to me.)
Also, do you think it is possible to be a Christian or a Jew and a Muslim at the same time? The prophet Essa is who led me to God, but I am convinced that Muhammed (PBUH) was a prophet as well. I will never forsake Jesus, and I am not guilty of shirk, regardless of what some might think, but I'm curious. I have a strong urge in my heart that people of the book stop arguing theology and get along. Thanks!
To be a Muslim is to believe with conviction that "There is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger." It is never possible to be a Jew, Christian and Muslim at the same time. A Muslim does not forsake Jesus just like he doesn't forsake Moses or David. What we do forsake is the divine attribution to Jesus for he was only a Messenger of Allah. If you believe in Trinity then this is shirk. If you believe in the divinity of Jesus then you are guilty of shirk.

Search
05-23-2016, 01:12 AM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful)

Hi ya! Hope you're doing well.

Yes, a person becomes a Muslim when accepts that there is truth in the words "there is no God but God and Muhammad is the prophet of God." The words are known as shahada or a testification of faith. It is not necessary for a person to utter the words before any human being as Allah is All-Knowing and God knows our hearts better than we do.

5 pillars of Islam is what all Muslims should strive to follow in their life, but of course, people may fall short due to either valid excuse or sinfulness. For example, if a person is sick and cannot keep fast during Shahru Ramadan, that person is from the excused. If a person cannot afford to go to Hajj, that person is excused. If a person has trouble due to disability or other excuse praying the act of salat in the prescribed manner, the person can pray sitting down or if that is difficult then in lying down. If a person does it out of sinfulness, then as long as that person asks forgiveness, then Allah forgives because Allah loves His creation more than anything. The 5 pillars of Islam are meant for us to inculcate values in ourselves that make us the best human being. The evidence for this is the fact that Prophet Muhammad :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “I have been sent to perfect noble character.”

The first thing to understand about shariah (Islamic law) is that God sent rules and regulations to help us achieve a perfect society without actually expecting us to reach that level of perfection, because our sinful nature as human beings prevents us from reaching that ideal. Shariah is only part positive statutory law comprising of penalties but mostly comprises of meeting everyday needs of Muslims such as how to pray salat, how to marry or divorce, how to do business dealings or deal in finances, how to behave if there is mixed gathering, how to understand what is government office and how to do consultation in political affairs, how never to transgress ethics in warfare. That said, shariah can never be authoritatively imposed on nonbelievers. Why? Because Islam and Islamic history says nonbelievers get to follow and are permitted to live according to their own faith and convictions. For example, the 5th Caliph was extremely concerned about Zoroastrians in the land of Persians marrying their biological mothers and sisters and the 5th Caliph was disturbed about what to do and so he consulted the famous religious figure Hasan Al-Basri as to what to do and Hasan al-Basri advised him to allow them this practice because their religion allows them to marry in this way and therefore shariah cannot be imposed on them because their own faith dictates their rules.

Islam came over a period of 23 years and the first 13 years only concentrated on emphasizing the Oneness of God. Only after the pagans had accepted God as being One and as a Supreme Authority over themselves had rules and regulations such as not to drink alcohol, to dress modestly, to do Hajj and other rules come because then the believers had been reciting Revelation with conviction and had by then been prepared to accept that God knows best and could accept to have themselves be regulated by God's rules. Therefore, in my academic understanding, the best way to conceptualize Islamic law is as a linguistic abstraction employed to point towards trying to achieve standing on the Straight Path in a direct line connecting us perpetually to the emanating will of God; it is an ideal that a Muslim should want to achieve without being a judgmental and obnoxious person trying to impose it on others. Because to whom does the rule of God applies first? To ourselves. Therefore, on whom should we focus? Ourselves. God proposes to judge each person on Judgment Day individually and there will be no iniquity because Allah is Just, and therefore every person must seek to develop contentment with and desire to follow divine will. That does not mean that if we see a wrong that we do not advise persons; we do. That said, Muslims have to follow prophetic footsteps in how to correct or advise someone, and that is to do it in private, to do it in a friendly and nonjudgmental and helpful way, because Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) never humiliated any person and gave the utmost honor and respect to every human being.

Your last question is most excellent and very intelligent and it is also that which lays open what is my biggest concern being a Muslim; you see, the thing is that Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) said that the arrogant will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise and Allah has said in the Quran (87:14) "But those will be successful who purify themselves." So, a person can perfectly follow the rules but if the essence of a clean heart is not there which is what following the rules is meant to help fulfill the purpose of the rules, then that person is unsuccessful. My sheikh (Islamic teacher) (may Allah bless him) said that Nimrod, the enemy of Ibrahim/Abraham alayhis salaam (peace be upon him) built a tower trying to compete with Allah only once, but due to our egos and pride, we do it over and over again and that is indeed the worst character in human beings. My sheikh (Islamic teacher) (may Allah bless him) said that we are supposed to learn on earth how to ride our egos so we can reach our open and honorable Heavenly stations, and egos are not somethings which should be comfortable riding us so that we can instead make shaitaan (satan) happy and walk into God's displeasure.

Also, in Islam, there are two rights, a right that God has upon human beings and that is known as huqooq-ul-Allah and then there is a right that one human being has on another which is known as huqooq ul-ibad. Allah has said that Allah may forgive whatever a person has done that is a violation of Allah's right upon that person between that person and Allah. For example, Allah may forgive a person who never prays, who drinks alcohol, who fornicates, who eats non-halal. That said, Allah has said that a person who violates the right of another human being will not be forgiven by Allah until that human being forgives that person. So, for example, if a person backbit or slandered someone or oppressed someone or broke someone's heart or fundamentally broke or violated that person's right, Allah will not forgive that person until that person himself/herself forgives that person.

I'm going to be truthful to you; my concern is that if I ever wronged someone that that person forgives me before I die InshaAllah (God-willing) because I do not want to be taken to task on Judgment Day before God. Also, my concern is not Hell or Paradise; my concern is only divine will and God's everlasting beautiful pleasure.

Wishing you awesomeness and happiness, sis

Cpt.America
05-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Reminds me of this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMKQKSV0bY

May God guide you to the Truth in your search, and bless you with the conviction to always follow that which is True and pleasing to Him.

anatolian
05-31-2016, 05:47 PM
It is to submit yourself to Allah... The word means "submitter" :)

Serinity
05-31-2016, 05:55 PM
Both Prophet Isa (AS) and Prophet Muhammad (SAW) are Prophets of Allah :swt:

They all came with the same message: To Believe in One God, Allah :swt:, without associating any partners with Him :swt:, Him :swt: being One, and free of all need, free of all falsehood.

Allah SWT is One, He :swt: has no partner, no son, no daughter, He :swt: is alone, and needs no one. He :swt: is the First and The Last, and nothing is like Him :swt: . He :swt: beyond any example.

Allah :swt: needs none, while everyone is in need of Him :swt:

sister herb
05-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Of my mind, if you believe in your heart that here isn´t any other gods than Allah only and that Muhammad is His Messenger, it already makes you a Muslim.

anatolian
05-31-2016, 07:01 PM
La ilaha illallah... "There is no god other than Allah" is the very basic statement of a Muslim but it is the hardest to realize...:embarrass

Serinity
05-31-2016, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Of my mind, if you believe in your heart that here isn´t any other gods than Allah only and that Muhammad is His Messenger, it already makes you a Muslim.
One has to affirm by mouth to be Muslim, so while she may believe in The Prophet Muhammad SAW, she has to affirm by mouth and rid herself of the kufr of christianity to be 100% certain.

To believe that Prophet Jesus is but a Prophet of Allah SWT (honored ofc) and that Jesus AS is not God, or Son of God, audhu billah. If she believes in Prophet Jesus AS as we believe, and Prophet Muhammad SAW, I see no reason for why she would not accept the Quran too and take the Shahadah.

To Declare the Oneness of Allah SWT and that He SWT has no rivals.

we simply believe in One God, and in all The Messengers of God, His revealed scriptures, The Taurat and Injeel, In its original form.

Kiro
05-31-2016, 07:50 PM
It means the conditions of faith. If you truly believe there is one God and Muhammad SAW is his last messenger than you act on that belief with an underlying clear intentions (tell me if I used underlying right) that your worship is for the sake of Allah and that comes with obeying Allah and his messenger.

You believe in the Shahada. You act upon the Shahada by doing the obligatory acts like the 5 pillars of Islam with your intention that your worship is for Allah.

Umm Malik
06-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Sister when you became a Muslim you will found yourself better because firstly you doing the good deeds to take reward and to get satesfy of you Lord and after that you will found all the bed things avoiding from your life
For me even I born a Muslim but I was just a Muslim by name .. I had a lot of bed things and feelings but since I repent to Allah I start correcting my self without knowing just by following the low of God and all the people around me tell me about my change to the best and they told me you are like another parson :) and sometimes I can't believe how I was ������
Sister be happy to choose the best .. and Ramadan will came soon and it's the best beginning
May Allah gether us I paradise sister
Thanks for your question <3 :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.