/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wine in the Qur'an

eiliyah_faith
05-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Good evening,

I was talking to some non Muslim friends today about Islam. The subject started on Hijab and then moved onto various different subjects. Somebody asked that if alcohol is haraam, then why is there a never ending flow of wine in Paradise. This question stumped me, as I am new to Islam, I wasn't aware of the following passage;

"The description of Paradise which the Muttaqun have been promised is that in it are rivers of water the taste and smell of which are not changed; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine delicious to those who drink; and rivers of clarified honey (clear and pure) therein for them is every kind of fruit; and forgiveness from their Lord. (Are these) like those who shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels?*Sura 47:15"

I'be done some research on this subject, as I couldn't understand why wine would be promised, knowing it is haraam.

So, the following explanations have been made and I want to ensure that I am understanding them correctly.

- That Paradise is beyond what any man, woman or slave can comprehend, so the reference to honey, milk and wine are very loose references to something beyond our imagination

- That nothing bad can come from Paradise, so wine would not lead to bad decisions, or choices we would not make whilst not under the influence if alcohol.

- What is haraam on Earth is not Haraam in Paradise.

- That the following passage means that wine in Paradise is not comparable to the wine we have here on earth;

Qur’an 56:8*“Those of the right hand-how happy will be those of the right hand! …Who will be honored in the Garden of Bliss;*Qur’an 56:13*“A multitude of those from among the first, and a few from the latter, (will be) on* couch-like thrones woven with gold and precious stones. Reclining, facing each other. Round about them will (serve) boys of perpetual (freshness), of never ending bloom, with goblets, jugs, and cups (filled) with sparkling wine. No aching of the head will they receive, nor suffer any madness, nor exhaustion."

My own conclusion is that we cannot begin to comprehend what is in Paradise for us, do the reference to wine is a very loose reference.

I'd like your views on this. As I said, I am new to Islam and I love to listen to all there is to learn.

Many thanks to you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
05-26-2016, 08:41 PM
:salamext:

Wine in Jannah will not intoxicate. Allah says in the Qur'an that things in Jannah are unseen which means the only similarity between all the things in Jannah and this dunya is the name.

MazharShafiq
11-04-2016, 04:44 AM
good

aaj
11-04-2016, 01:57 PM
:salam:

What is on earth and what is in heaven are vastly different. The world is imperfect as are the things in it. Allah made the best of things in jannah for the believers and things so grand that we can't even imagine or comprehend. There are some that are similar in names so that we can somewhat compare and see. The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Allah has said: I have prepared for My righteous servants what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no heart has conceived.

Wine is forbidden for a Muslim here on earth:

O you who believe! Strong drink and games of chance and idols and divine arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. Leave it aside that you may succeed. -- Sura 5:90

On the other hand in Paradise are rivers of wine:

A similitude of the Garden which those who keep their duty (to Allah) are promised: Therein are rivers of water unpolluted ... and rivers of wine delicious to the drinkers. -- Sura 47:15

Surely the pious will be in bliss ... their thirst will be slaked with pure wine sealed. -- Sura 83:22,25

However, the wine of earth is different.

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider. [Qur'ân 2:219]

So, the earthly wine has a character of not only intoxicating the person but also to make him stop remembering Allah who has created him to worship Him alone.

What does the wine in Paradise do? Does it intoxicate the people who drink it?

In gardens of felicity, facing each other on thrones, round will be passed a cup from a clear flowing fountain, crystal white, of a taste delicious to those who drink thereof, Free from headiness; Nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom. [Qur'ân 37:43-47]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.