/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would a girl from back home want to marry a grad student?

Mustafa16
06-27-2016, 09:32 PM
My mom said that once I get an education and a job, she would find me a wife from Turkey.....the only problem is, I am thinking of studying psychology, so I have to go to grad school to get a job, and while I'm a master's student I won't be making much money....would a girl all the way in Turkey want to move all the way here for a guy who hardly makes any dough? I mean, I plan on getting married at age 22 or 23, but I won't be getting my master's degree and job until I'm 24....what do you think?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
darullemon
06-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Why you generalizing? Few girls may agree to that few may not. That won't be the only criteria for a girl to accept or reject your proposal.

MidnightRose
06-27-2016, 09:38 PM
@Mustafa16

What grade are you in now?

Mustafa16
06-27-2016, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
@Mustafa16

I just finished 11th grade, but I only have one semester of High school left and then I transfer to community college for one semester

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mustafa16
06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
@Mustafa16

brother, with all due respect, are you going to respond to my actual question or not?

MidnightRose
06-27-2016, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
I just finished 11th grade, but I only have one semester of High school left and then I transfer to community college for one semester
Thanks for sharing that with me.

The reason why I ask is because I'm a psychology professor and noticed your interest in getting a graduate degree(s) in psychology. I can appreciate that and would like to point some things out in relation to this.

You are aware that while you can become a therapist with a Master's degree, the PhD is necessary to become fully licensed. Among many things, pursuing this type of graduate study has two major issues that need to be considered, which are:

1. the amount of time completion will take, and

2. the real possibility of getting into debt.

I think you need to get married as soon as possible. I also believe your mother has your best interest at heart. Please do listen to her.

To accomplish both of the above I am going to suggest a course of action that I recommend you look into.

According to the US Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Computer Information Technology jobs such as Information Security Analysts are growing faster than the average for other occupations. See here: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-...y-analysts.htm

While the description mentions the need for a bachelor's degree, an associate's degree will get you something very close to - if not better - than what's described.

Because of this, I recommend that you look into the CIS (Computer Information Systems) programs that your local community colleges offer. Completing an Associate's degree in CIS at a community college will take you about 2.5 years of full-time study (including summers) and will equip you with skills that are in high demand. A key component with this is developing a working relationship with an Academic Advisor and emphasizing that you be placed in an internship towards the end of your program.

Furthermore, it's quite possible that Pell Grants will pay for everything. So no debt. Even if it doesn't, community college tuition is peanuts compared to universities.

To sum up:
Earlier completion of education + no debt + high demand, well paying job = earlier marriage back home and lots of dough for the wife, :ia:.

Think about it. It's an option.

Mustafa16
06-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for sharing that with me.

The reason why I ask is because I'm a psychology professor and noticed your interest in getting a graduate degree(s) in psychology. I can appreciate that and would like to point some things out in relation to this.

You are aware that while you can become a therapist with a Master's degree, the PhD is necessary to become fully licensed. Among many things, pursuing this type of graduate study has two major issues that need to be considered, which are:

1. the amount of time completion will take, and

2. the real possibility of getting into debt.

I think you need to get married as soon as possible. I also believe your mother has your best interest at heart. Please do listen to her.

To accomplish both of the above I am going to suggest a course of action that I recommend you look into.

According to the US Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Computer Information Technology jobs such as Information Security Analysts are growing faster than the average for other occupations. See here: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-...y-analysts.htm

While the description mentions the need for a bachelor's degree, an associate's degree will get you something very close to - if not better - than what's described.

Because of this, I recommend that you look into the CIS (Computer Information Systems) programs that your local community colleges offer. Completing an Associate's degree in CIS at a community college will take you about 2.5 years of full-time study (including summers) and will equip you with skills that are in high demand. A key component with this is developing a working relationship with an Academic Advisor and emphasizing that you be placed in an internship towards the end of your program.

Furthermore, it's quite possible that Pell Grants will pay for everything. So no debt. Even if it doesn't, community college tuition is peanuts compared to universities.

To sum up:
Earlier completion of education + no debt + high demand, well paying job = earlier marriage back home and lots of dough for the wife, :ia:.

Think about it. It's an option.
but I don't like computers...also, another option would be an imam's daughter who lives in another U.S. state, 6 hours away by car.....is there any way I can study psychology AND get married early? what if I dual majored in psychology and economics?

MidnightRose
06-27-2016, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
but I don't like computers...also, another option would be an imam's daughter who lives in another U.S. state, 6 hours away by car.....is there any way I can study psychology AND get married early? what if I dual majored in psychology and economics?
As far as marriage is concerned: Don't stray from your mother's guidance. Confide in her and trust her. What you think to be good may not necessarily turn out to be so.

With regards to your course of study: Anything's possible. However, I can only recommend what I think is in your best interest.

Mustafa16
06-27-2016, 11:20 PM
As far as marriage is concerned: Don't stray from your mother's guidance. Confide in her and trust her. What you think to be good may not necessarily turn out to be so.

With regards to your course of study: Anything's possible. However, I can only recommend what I think is in your best interest.
okay, jazakallaha khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.