/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about Muslims and science.

cooterhein
07-14-2016, 02:29 AM
Okay, first question. Muslims used to be the best when it came to science and technology, academia in general. How was it that these specific Muslims came to be so good at what they did? Please keep in mind that Muslims are not the only ones who have ever done this sort of thing, so let's try to describe things that could be done by non-Muslims just as easily as Muslims. As an example- the closest thing to an answer that I've heard so far describes how key Muslim cities were very well-connected to the rest of the world, all sorts of people from all over the place descended on these places, and everyone was able to learn from everyone. Stable government and a relative lack of corruption would probably be worth mentioning as well. But this is just an example, and these are general ideas without specific citations to anybody's research or published work, which is more like the kind of thing I'm generally looking for.

Now the second question. After spending several centuries being ascendant and awesome, Muslims stopped being any good at these sorts of things. It was almost like a prolonged dark ages. There are a couple of different things I'm curious about, like just how sudden was it, and were the effects immediately felt by all Muslims? Were there some who soldiered on fairly well while others fell to the margins of academia more quickly? Were there specific schools, research facilities, or places of higher learning that shut down, failed, or were destroyed in any discernible pattern? But mostly, I'm looking for this. Why did this part of the story happen, in general? An example of an answer might be that Islam became withdrawn from the rest of the world (why? when?), and was no longer open to ideas and innovations from abroad. (Innovation is not always a bad word). Of course, this explanation is only about as good as the initial explanation, if it is any good, and I would still be curious to know about citation, references, and more specific details. Once again, this is an example, and once again, I won't be able to do very much with answers like "Well, the Muslims were faithful to Islam, and then they must not have been." I'm going to go ahead and assume that the general fidelity of Muslims to Islam is an entirely independent matter that has little to no bearing on what a society is able to achieve in the sciences, and I will continue to try and find out what was being done right and then done wrong by these vastly different people from different eras of Islam's history.

Please don't feel obligated to pay much attention to these examples, though. They are just simple examples that don't have nearly enough put into them to be of any real use. You give me the reasons as you know them, and please, citations and sources are most welcome.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
07-14-2016, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cooterhein
Okay, first question. Muslims used to be the best when it came to science and technology, academia in general. How was it that these specific Muslims came to be so good at what they did? Please keep in mind that Muslims are not the only ones who have ever done this sort of thing, so let's try to describe things that could be done by non-Muslims just as easily as Muslims. As an example- the closest thing to an answer that I've heard so far describes how key Muslim cities were very well-connected to the rest of the world, all sorts of people from all over the place descended on these places, and everyone was able to learn from everyone. Stable government and a relative lack of corruption would probably be worth mentioning as well. But this is just an example, and these are general ideas without specific citations to anybody's research or published work, which is more like the kind of thing I'm generally looking for.
:D so you just wanna ... talk loosely, got it. Not into wasting time man - when you are serious, we can talk properly, with research to hand, ok?

Now the second question. After spending several centuries being ascendant and awesome, Muslims stopped being any good at these sorts of things. It was almost like a prolonged dark ages. There are a couple of different things I'm curious about, like just how sudden was it, and were the effects immediately felt by all Muslims? Were there some who soldiered on fairly well while others fell to the margins of academia more quickly? Were there specific schools, research facilities, or places of higher learning that shut down, failed, or were destroyed in any discernible pattern? But mostly, I'm looking for this. Why did this part of the story happen, in general? An example of an answer might be that Islam became withdrawn from the rest of the world (why? when?), and was no longer open to ideas and innovations from abroad. (Innovation is not always a bad word). Of course, this explanation is only about as good as the initial explanation, if it is any good, and I would still be curious to know about citation, references, and more specific details. Once again, this is an example, and once again, I won't be able to do very much with answers like "Well, the Muslims were faithful to Islam, and then they must not have been." I'm going to go ahead and assume that the general fidelity of Muslims to Islam is an entirely independent matter that has little to no bearing on what a society is able to achieve in the sciences, and I will continue to try and find out what was being done right and then done wrong by these vastly different people from different eras of Islam's history.

Please don't feel obligated to pay much attention to these examples, though. They are just simple examples that don't have nearly enough put into them to be of any real use. You give me the reasons as you know them, and please, citations and sources are most welcome.
Oh, now they are welcome... very strange.

Scimi

syed_z
07-14-2016, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the thread cooterhein. I believe the best answer to the above concern about Muslim world is in the words of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf (Born Mark Hanson accepted Islam and is the leading Islamic Scholar in North America). He touches on the key points that can explain why Muslim world's conceptual thinking has been lost, the cause of deterioration...

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf in one of his lectures on the topic 'Converying Islam at Oxford' says the following:

Now, the Muslim world (and this is another aspect) - is that I think there's an immense amount the Muslim world can learn from the West-I really believe there are things we can learn from Islam-but I also believe there's an immense amount that Muslims today can learn from the West. One of the great tragedies in the Muslim world is the tragedy of failed states. And many of us have no idea what it is like to live in a country where you do not have redress to the basic wrongs that occur in society, when court systems do not function, when there is no judicial review. These are immense problems in the Muslim world. Currently, the problem is not democracy because democracy cannot be established in the Muslim world.

I do not believe democracy can be established currently in the Muslim world because the social institutions that are necessary for democracy to come about simply do not exist. And I'll give you one example because I'm an adherent to the congruence theory in sociology and one of the basic principles of that theory is that governments are only effective to the degree in which the governing model is congruent with the other social institutions of society. So, government is effective to the degree in which the model of governance permeates the other social institutions of society. So, if you have a despotic government, it is effective when you have despotic schools, when you have despotic families, when you have despotic unions, when you have despotic trade unions and when you have despotic political parties.

Like or contrary-wise, democracy is only effective to the degree with which you have democratic institutions. I'll give you one example that many people in the West have no idea of. In much of the Muslim world, in the schools today there is not the idea of asking questions, or questioning the authority of the teacher. The teacher's authority is almost absolute. And this is still widespread, and it [is] absolutely hard to believe. You have very despotic educational institutions and therefore people who grow up in that despotic environment naturally-if they ever get into positions of power, whether it's at the most basic governmental level-they begin to express those despotic models that were imbibed in their schools, often in their families, where the father has an absolute word. And these models, which were quite common in the West not that long ago-but an immense amount of work went into eradicating many of these models.

One of the things that my Arab friends are very surprised about when they come to America, and I've seen this on many occasions, is the idea of offering your child a choice for what it's going to eat for dinner-"What would you like to have for dinner tonight?" I've seen Arab friends of mine that said, "That's so crazy to ask a child what it wants for dinner!" But that question is part of enfranchisement. It's part of having a democratic household where children actually have a say, where children can choose. It's learning how to choose which is a process. And this unfortunately does not exist in many parts of the Muslim world-the idea of an elective system. I've had people who have come from the Muslim world to study in America and went into shock when they were asked to choose their classes because it was the first time in their life when they were not told what to study. And some of them were at a loss because they had never really thought about that. What Ericson calls "identity foreclosure" is very common in the Muslim world-where you do what your father tells you to do. You study what your6father tells you to study. You do not follow your passion which is actually very alien tithe Islamic tradition, but unfortunately quite common in the Muslim world.

One of the things that one of the early educational theorists of Islam, Qadi AbuBakr ibn al-Arabi, who is a great Andalusian scholar, said was, "It was very important to observe a child's natural intellectual inclinations and then to encourage them to pursue those intellectual inclinations because the natural genius of that child would emerge. If a child was forced to study what it did not have natural propensities towards, it would thwart its intellectual development." This was in a text that was written in the sixth Islamic century. Imam al-Ghazali, for instance, in his book on pedagogy, talks about never humiliating a child in front of other children, quite a common occurrence in much of the Muslim world in classrooms where children are humiliated. I mean these are very serious problems that result in many of the social conditions that we find very troubling in the Muslim world.

Now, just as the West has gone through an immense amount of transformation-not always positive by the way, but we have gone through an immense amount of transformation-we tend to forget that much of what we have inherited is a result of extraordinarily stupid (and there's no other word, really - asinine, perhaps)-extraordinarily stupid religious wars that occurred in the sixteenth, the seventeenth and even the eighteenth century. Wars that really led intellectuals in some ways to really question this whole idea of a religious intolerance. It led to people like Thomas Hobbes, somebody who was also influenced by Henry Stubb, an extraordinary man who was very impressed with the Ottoman tradition of religious tolerance and wrote a book during that time, in the mid-seventeenth century, called The Rise and Progress of Mohammedanism and had an immense amount of praise.

Another extraordinary seventeenth century character here at Oxford, EdwardPococke-there's actually a picture of him on the wall. Edward Pococke was a man who went to Aleppo to study Islam and this is in 1630. And you can imagine this is an extraordinary time to go to the Muslim world. One of the things that struck him about the Muslim world was the tolerance. He became very well-acquainted with the Muslim scholars of Aleppo and writes very lovingly about these scholars. He also became acquainted with the Jewish scholars. He sat in circles where the Jews, the Christians and the Muslims discussed their religious texts in ways much more enlightened than the current dialogue going on today.

And when he came back to Oxford, he collected over four hundred Arabic manuscripts that are still here in the Bodleian Library. The Chair of Arabic studies was founded and he was its first Chair. I believe this an extraordinary event in Western history. He had an immense respect for the Muslim world. He was a teacher, but also a friend of John Locke-and John Locke was very influenced by his ideas. The extraordinary fairness of Edward Gibbon, given the limited resources that he had, in The Decline and the Fall of the Roman Empire towards Islam. If you look at his sources, many of his quotes are taken directly from Edward Pococke's works in which he recognized some of the really beautiful qualities of Islam. It's also very interesting that Gibbon mentions in his history that "Had the Muslims conquered-that is, in 732, defeated Charles Martel-perhaps the students of Oxford today would be circumcised and be studying the truths of the Qur'an and the teachings of Muhammad." So, he actually envisaged that possibility because it was a real possibility-but it did not happen.

http://shaykhhamza.com/transcript/Co...slam-at-Oxford

Eric H
07-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Greetings and peace be with you cooterhein;

I think the answer may well be related to how God treated the Jews. When Israel followed God, things went well, when they turned away from God, then God also turned away from them. Just a thought.

In the spirit of searching for a greatest meaning of 'One God'

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
07-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Well, the 13th century saw the fall of its greatest centres of learning to invaders. Cordoba was conquered by Castile. Persia and Baghdad were laid to waste and massively depopulated by the Mongol invasion. It's not so easy to rebound after a crash like that, especially when all the institutions that could have brought about a resurgence were swept aside too.

greenhill
07-14-2016, 02:36 PM
I would chip in along the lines of what Eric H said.

Islam believes 'to Allah belongs everything' and that would be knowledge, included. He giveth and He taketh. So, as long as the society obeys the true spirit the His ways, His blessings continues. When it deviates, it stops. Sometime in the past the caliphate entered a rotten period. And Allah caused it to falter and fall.

That is putting it simply.

:peace:

M.I.A.
07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
The short answer is by the will of Allah swt.

The long answer takes into account the thousands of socio economical, political variables that eventually lead to a loss of leadership in such fields.

And the establishing or development of other empires..

Or maybe not even such things but a destabilising factor, which itself is superceded.

It may not necessarily be that people strayed away from gods favour,

Because that encompasses the educated the uneducated and the ignorant alike..

And science in particular is forwarded by most empires at points, regardless of pronounced faith.

Everything has its time.. probably.

How were they the best at what they did? A lack of writers block.

cooterhein
07-15-2016, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed_z
Thanks for the thread cooterhein. I believe the best answer to the above concern about Muslim world is in the words of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf (Born Mark Hanson accepted Islam and is the leading Islamic Scholar in North America). He touches on the key points that can explain why Muslim world's conceptual thinking has been lost, the cause of deterioration...

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf in one of his lectures on the topic 'Converying Islam at Oxford' says the following:

http://shaykhhamza.com/transcript/Co...slam-at-Oxford
Thank you very much for the references and sources, I will be looking into those and thank you to everyone else for their input. I have just now run across a lecture on YT given by Dr. Yasir Qadhi, I wanted to make sure he's accepted as a reliable source by Muslims, if anyone knows who he is starting off?

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywA7nNt_vU
he goes into this specifically, not as in depth as it possibly could be but he chooses to make the printing press his main focus in this lecture. Apparently, the Muslim world had a unique relationship with the printing press. I'm still listening though this and reading some other things too, but I'm curious to know if I found a well known and respected source here.

Edit- as I'm watching through, I've so far heard about the knowledge of paper acquired from the Chinese, the initial development of paper for books and transition of knowledge by Muslims, the early adoption of such things especially compared to Europe prior the the Crusades, and then at some point I'll hear the reason for why Muslims decided not to keep up with the pace of the printing press. Most Muslim countries adopted that technology in the 19th century, yes? I'm curious about why that is.

syed_z
07-15-2016, 05:36 AM
Thank you very much for the references and sources, I will be looking into those and thank you to everyone else for their input. I have just now run across a lecture on YT given by Dr. Yasir Qadhi, I wanted to make sure he's accepted as a reliable source by Muslims, if anyone knows who he is starting off?

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywA7nNt_vU
he goes into this specifically, not as in depth as it possibly could be but he chooses to make the printing press his main focus in this lecture. Apparently, the Muslim world had a unique relationship with the printing press. I'm still listening though this and reading some other things too, but I'm curious to know if I found a well known and respected source here.

Edit- as I'm watching through, I've so far heard about the knowledge of paper acquired from the Chinese, the initial development of paper for books and transition of knowledge by Muslims, the early adoption of such things especially compared to Europe prior the the Crusades, and then at some point I'll hear the reason for why Muslims decided not to keep up with the pace of the printing press. Most Muslim countries adopted that technology in the 19th century, yes? I'm curious about why that is.

Greetings Cooterhein....

Thank you for your comments. Honestly I don't know what comments to make to Dr. Yasir Qadhi's analysis. It would be best to reach him directly if you would like to know more details about his thoughts on the printing press in the Muslim world.

I firmly agree to what Sheikh Hamza Yusuf said.

I firmly believe that Muslims used to be much tolerant to each other and no doubt it was the religious wars that occurred in the West due to intolerance. Today we have same issue, Muslim religious factions busy hair splitting due to increase in the intolerance among st ourselves.

Also what he mentioned about young Muslims not having freedom of choice when it comes to selecting career path. You are told what to do. It affects one's decision making power in the long run.

Allah (swt) knows best. I hope that was helpful.

muslim brother
10-20-2016, 12:52 PM
the downfall of anyone comes from hubris,forgetting the original creator of all..god/allah
and thinking of ones abilities and achievements as ones own and not from or by allah taala.

pride ,arrogance and then power struggles

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.