/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Limits of obeying parents in Islam

anonymous
08-21-2016, 09:59 PM
salam, if parents say go university, but you have other life goals. Is it allowed in islam to disobey them in those life goals matter? Will I be held accountable for this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Reminder
08-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Based on my knowledge, you must obey your parents when they ask you to do something for them.

I.e. Mow the lawn, carry in groceries, foot massage, cook dinner, clean the house, take out garbage, etc.

Something like this isn't black and white... it is a big decision which affects your life a LOT more.

Little_Lion
08-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Without fully knowing the situation, I would say "that depends". In this case, it depends on what you are planning to do instead of going to university. Are you planning on starting your own business, or going into a trade such as welding that does not require a degree, be a farmer, or doing something else that is a reputable career that does not depend on university? In that case, I would say that you are safe in disobeying them; a parent may wish for you to become a doctor, but if you do not want to become a doctor, there is no harm in that.

If you are not going to university because you wish to become a professional gambler, run a bar, play World of Warcraft and farm virtual gold for a living, or do something that is against Islam, I would highly suggest listening to your parents. But if you do not wish to go to university "for a good reason" - and I have to say that without knowing your reasoning, which is why I put it in quotes - then I do not believe there is harm in that, may Allah forgive me if I am mistaken.

Abz2000
08-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Depends on if you've reached the age of maturity and are sane, and if your "other goals" fit within obedience to Allah and don't anger Allah.
If all of the above ifs are ok, then you should convince them about your wish in a nice way within obedience to Allah and seeking to please Him.
Their duty to decide for you stops at the above, and your duty to be nice to them within the limits of Allah continue through life.
If your parents however are enemies of Allah and speak on (or are forced to speak on) behalf of iblees, then you must be wary of even consulting them since they would most likely throw stumbling blocks on your path in seeking to do Allah's work.
And Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
01-13-2017, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
salam, if parents say go university, but you have other life goals. Is it allowed in islam to disobey them in those life goals matter? Will I be held accountable for this?
Well usually student loans involve riba so youve got that argument

M.I.A.
01-13-2017, 05:52 PM
...better do as they say before they marry you off.

o_0

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.