/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Food I'm Allergic to

LaSorcia
08-24-2016, 04:31 PM
I have food allergies. I can't eat most convenience foods or prepared food, so needless to say, I don't serve them at home. I have asked people not to bring foods to my house that they know I can't eat. Home is the one place I don't have to feel left out about food.

Some people bring food that they know I am allergic to, even after I have asked them not to. I have usually not said anything at the time, but politely made my request known again later.

I think this is rude. How can I confront it politely? In a way that works! lol

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
08-24-2016, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
I have food allergies. I can't eat most convenience foods or prepared food, so needless to say, I don't serve them at home. I have asked people not to bring foods to my house that they know I can't eat. Home is the one place I don't have to feel left out about food.

Some people bring food that they know I am allergic to, even after I have asked them not to. I have usually not said anything at the time, but politely made my request known again later.

I think this is rude. How can I confront it politely? In a way that works! lol
It's your good manners sis, I don't think it is rude at all.

Especially if they have been told more than once, I think it comes down to either extreme forgetfulness or insensitivity on the part of some people. It isn't something I would forget easily, if it came to someone's allergies.

So sometimes it is better to just say it, politely and respectfully, but definitely let them know. Just say, 'Please don't bring these types of foods, I have an allergy, it can cause a reaction...ect', any fairly decent person should keep this in mind the next time.

Umm Abed
08-30-2016, 01:15 PM
It is possible that they have forgotten your request? I think you just have to keep on reminding them on what you can eat, or just have something else that you can enjoy at hand, and the others can enjoy the food that you cant have.

jameelash
09-06-2016, 09:56 AM
If they bring by chance u can ask ur family to have it or give it to neighbours .isnt that better

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Accept the food which they bring. Even if you don't eat it yourself, you can always give it away to someone else.

In Islaam, we have been taught to always accept gifts. It is never useless. If you can't make use of the gift yourself you can give it to someone who can and who will greatly appreciate it.

LaSorcia
09-06-2016, 05:21 PM
The food is not a gift. They bring it for themselves, knowing I can't eat it, even though I provide ample hospitality.

Umm Abed
09-06-2016, 05:24 PM
So its a bring and share kind of thing.

Did it happen again?

Scimitar
09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Id hand a sign on the door - "don't bring food to this house"

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-06-2016, 05:36 PM
In that case, the best course of action is to be frank and straightforward with them and tell them not to bring food you are allergic to.

noraina
09-06-2016, 05:52 PM
It reminded me, an old aunty we know for some reason thinks my dad loves a certain dish (which is her speciality) and she is always sending it over.

The problem is, none of us like it at all so we're always giving it to someone else.

It's been so long now we don't know how to tell her :D

LaSorcia
09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
In that case, the best course of action is to be frank and straightforward with them and tell them not to bring food you are allergic to.
"So its a bring and share kind of thing.

Did it happen again?"

Lol yes, it happens again and again, even though I have politely asked to not have food I am allergic to in my house. That's why I asked my question. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. I try to gently remind people before I invite them over. Most foods are not an issue, but it makes me sad to see people eating desserts I can't share. Yes, I provide dessert, so I don't know why they bring it!
And I am really allergic to blue cheeses. I can't even breathe them in.

LaSorcia
09-06-2016, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Id hand a sign on the door - "don't bring food to this house"

Scimi
Lol, that's tempting!

Umm Abed
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Lol, that's tempting!
Maybe stop inviting them over again, say its because you are allergic to their foods..

LaSorcia
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
It reminded me, an old aunty we know for some reason thinks my dad loves a certain dish (which is her speciality) and she is always sending it over.

The problem is, none of us like it at all so we're always giving it to someone else.

Awww, poor Aunty. That reminds me of a gift my mom used to send me for nearly all holidays. I did NOT like it, but I wouldn't tell her because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I was so happy when that gift was no longer available, then I didn't have to get it or hurt her feelings!

LaSorcia
09-06-2016, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Maybe stop inviting them over again, say its because you are allergic to their foods..
But I love being hospitable, I want THEM, just not their foods. And if I go to their houses, I won't be able to eat anything. They should be happy, they don't have to cook or clean or clean up afterwards!

Umm Abed
09-06-2016, 06:29 PM
But I love being hospitable, I want THEM, just not their foods. And if I go to their houses, I won't be able to eat anything. They should be happy, they don't have to cook or clean or clean up afterwards!
Yes I can understand that :)

Could it be that they think you're just being polite when you say dont bring food?

Scimitar
09-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Lol, that's tempting!
and necessitated.

They've all been told before not to bring food to the house - and so, the sign would be just that little nail in the proverbials, so to speak.

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-06-2016, 10:08 PM
You could come straight out with it and ask them, "Why do you insist on bringing food I'm allergic to?"

mission2succeed
09-06-2016, 10:19 PM
"So its a bring and share kind of thing.

Did it happen again?"

Lol yes, it happens again and again, even though I have politely asked to not have food I am allergic to in my house. That's why I asked my question. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. I try to gently remind people before I invite them over. Most foods are not an issue, but it makes me sad to see people eating desserts I can't share. Yes, I provide dessert, so I don't know why they bring it!
And I am really allergic to blue cheeses. I can't even breathe them in.
Maybe you should stop inviting people over as it causes more grieve than pleasure. I think it is always best to be straightforward if you can't or don't like something just let them know.

mission2succeed
09-06-2016, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina

Maybe if you didn't answer the door so that the dish gets returned she might get the message after a few tempts.
It is possible whoever you send it to may not like it too.
I think honesty is the best policy this should have been put a stop to a long time ago. After all you don't know how much trouble she may be going through just to make it for you guys.

darkbro
09-08-2016, 12:17 PM
what about receiving those foods, and after they left, you give the foods to your neighbour? or to someone else?

dont let the giver know

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-08-2016, 12:20 PM
No. She says that they bring the food with for themselves to eat in her house. It's not like a gift for her. Instead of just eating the food she provides, they bring their own which she is allergic to, and that shows disrespect and callousness towards her and towards her home.

LaSorcia
09-08-2016, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkbro
what about receiving those foods, and after they left, you give the foods to your neighbour? or to someone else?

dont let the giver know
Yeah, they either eat it all or take it back home.
And you're right, I wouldn't make a point to tell them that I gave their food away.

LaSorcia
09-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Well, thanks everyone for your input. I guess I will just keep politely reminding guests that I will provide all of the food and ask them not to bring any, reminding them of my allergies.

And should they forget or disregard, I will try to see it as an opportunity to practice patience and not take offense. I'll need duas for this lol.

noraina
09-08-2016, 07:17 PM
That's a very positive way to look at it sis - an exercise of patience.

And I think with enough patient reminding it will come through to those people one day - however far that day might be, lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.