/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hair length

ToddChristopher
09-11-2016, 05:30 PM
I am studying up to become Muslim and some questions answered. Is my name permissible, or should I change it due to it having un-Islamic meanings? Todd means fox, so I've heard this isn't a very good name for a Muslim. I'm not entirely fond of it, so if I change it, should I change it to an Arabic name or will western name siffice? My next question is hair on men, my hair is long, it is past my shoulders but is neat and kept clean, am I commanded to cut it if I convert? I have heard that converts should "shave the hair of the unbelievers" after converting, is that true? My last question is I still am researching and trying to clear doubts, should I take my Shahadah now or wait and clear my doubts first and say it with a clear mind? Other places I've asked this have said I'm already a Muslim even without saying the Shahadah because I'm already curious, is this correct?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
09-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on taking this step to search for the truth and gain knowledge about Islam, you certainly won't regret it.

The first two questions I will leave for someone with more knowledge to answer, inshaAllah.

A Muslim is someone who believes that Allah swt is the only deity and is the only One worthy of worship, and that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is his final messenger, and that the Qur'an was sent as the final revelation for mankind. Then there are the six articles of faith, belief in Allah swt, belief in the angels, belief in the divine Books, belief in the Prophets (as), belief in the Day of Judgement, and belief in Allah's predestination. Sincere belief in these will bring you into the fold of Islam alhamdulillah.

I would strongly suggest that if you believe in Islam, and you believe in Allah swt, you should say your shahadah as soon as possible, brother. The core beliefs I mentioned above are the foundation of Islam and being a Muslim. Doubts can come even into the mind of a Muslim throughout their life, and it is through gaining knowledge and increasing one's faith these doubts are deterred. :) If you do have any questions, you are more than welcome to address them here so we can help you understand.

Search
09-11-2016, 06:24 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

Hi, Todd! :)

Welcome to IB!
Hope you're doing well. :)

I'm not a scholar; so, please understand what I'm advising here is simply advised based on what I know from Islamic knowledge.

From what I understand, unless your name has bad meaning, you're not obligated to change your name. I think Todd, for example, sounds okay to me even though you said it means a fox, but I think that is up to interpretation; your last name Christopher, on the other hand, means carrier of Christ, in English meaning, which seems a little dubious. However, on the other hand, in American meaning, the name means the one who carries Christ in his heart. Well, as you know, we Muslims respect and revere Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) as one of the mightiest messengers and prophets of God. So, if you're an American, I don't think the name has an un-Islamic meaning. However, since you've expressed dissatisfaction with your present name, perhaps you can change it due to wanting to embody the new start in your life as a Muslim. I think any name with good intentions can be fine for you to keep, though converts usually end up picking Arabic names; I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Ask God for guidance in supplication and see what feels comfortable and best to you afterwards and then do that which feels authentic and true to that divine guidance.

From what I understand, your hair sounds completely fine to me; so, no, you're not commanded to cut it as eshaykh.com and says the following: "The Prophet’s (s) [that is, :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him)] was a different lengths at different times and he didn’t say that there was any reward for growing the hair long, nor is there any sin in shaving it but only commanded it to be taken care of, as long it doesnt resemble women."

I have never heard of converts ever being compelled to shave the head of the unbelievers in any context; that sounds like a weird and very un-Islamic claim.

Well, whatever doubts you can have, please share so we can InshaAllah (God-willing) clarify the matter to you in the best way; it is up to you when to take the shahada (testimony of faith); that said, Muslims will encourage you to say the shahada (testimony of faith) as soon as you can because none of us knows when the Angel of Death will meet us, and we should typically not delay a good deed. That said, this is your life; and you should always do what feels right and best to you, because ultimately you're the one who has to live with your choice.

Well, if you already believe that God is One (God doesn't have sons, daughters, wives, husbands, or any family or relatives) and also believe that Prophet Muhammad :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) was sent as a final prophet and messenger of God to proclaim the continuity of the message of peaceful submission to God, then you're already a Muslim as per your belief system. That said, you should also intend yourself as a Muslim because intentions are what matters to God. Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Deeds are [a result] only of the intentions [of the actor], and an individual is [rewarded] only according to that which he intends."

Peace.
:)

Welcome again to IB; and please don't ever hesitate to ask any questions or use us as a sounding board for any concerns you may have. :statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by ToddChristopher
I am studying up to become Muslim and some questions answered. Is my name permissible, or should I change it due to it having un-Islamic meanings? Todd means fox, so I've heard this isn't a very good name for a Muslim. I'm not entirely fond of it, so if I change it, should I change it to an Arabic name or will western name siffice? My next question is hair on men, my hair is long, it is past my shoulders but is neat and kept clean, am I commanded to cut it if I convert? I have heard that converts should "shave the hair of the unbelievers" after converting, is that true? My last question is I still am researching and trying to clear doubts, should I take my Shahadah now or wait and clear my doubts first and say it with a clear mind? Other places I've asked this have said I'm already a Muslim even without saying the Shahadah because I'm already curious, is this correct?

anatolian
09-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Salam Aleykum. Welcome to this forum and welcome to Islam soon inshallah.

Your name indeed has an interesting meaning :). Muslims do give their sons wild animal names as well but yes it is better to have a name which has an Islamic meaning, not just an Arabic name. There are Arabic names which has anti-Islamic meanings also.

Your hair length has nothing to do with Islam. The Prophet's hair was long too upto his shoulders according to some narratives.

As far as I know you need to take shahada both with your heart and with your mouth. So take it with loud...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kiro
09-11-2016, 06:43 PM
The Prophet SAW and his companions had long hair (it was a custom back then).

Abu Hanifah says it is a sunnah in which there is no reward for it.

So grow your hair as long as you like but take care of it.

ToddChristopher
09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
My hair legnth question came from sites like :muslimconverts.com/howtoconvert/converting-to-muslim.htm

As far as my name goes, it also means wily or deceptive, some have suggest that it isn't entirely good to have, so maybe there's a convert/revert here who's changed their name can chime in.

My doubts/hesitations come from some of the minor details, like do I know for sure Islam is the one true path, do I know it's for me?

Search
09-11-2016, 07:03 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

My hair legnth question came from sites like :muslimconverts.com/howtoconvert/converting-to-muslim.htm

As far as my name goes, it also means wily or deceptive, some have suggest that it isn't entirely good to have, so maybe there's a convert/revert here who's changed their name can chime in.
Well, Alhamdhullilah (thanks, credit, and thanks is to God), you've come to the right place InshaAllah (God-willing) for your queries to be answered. :)

Brother, I don't think anyone is concerned about the site from which you received your information on hair length; because we know that persons wanting to convert will have questions.

Well, if Todd means wily and deceptive, then that is obviously not a name with good meaning; in that case, definitely you should try to change it so that you have a name with a better or good meaning.

My doubts/hesitations come from some of the minor details, like do I know for sure Islam is the one true path, do I know it's for me?
Brother, can you please be a bit more specific as to the minor details of concern? I used to be an atheist for the longest time before my heart submitted to Islam, and I don't regret for one moment living my life under the shelter and mercy of Allah. There's a thread called Finding Iman? in which we recently had a wonderful brother convert to Islam. Do you think you can read that thread and see if your heart feels more comfortable afterwards? Also, there's an epic thread we have that you can browse called "Stories of Muslim Reverts" which you can read as well and see if your heart and mind are more accepting afterwards of making this choice.

Little_Lion
09-11-2016, 09:15 PM
May I recommend taking the free courses at http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/diploma/ ? The ones on the left side of the page, for new muslims, actually address many of your questions. You do not have to be a Muslim yet to take the courses, and it will give you a very good idea of what to expect, and the things you should be concerned about. From the courses you will learn, for example, you only need to change your name if it contains shirk (associating with gods other than Allah) so if your name was for example, Apollo, you'd be expected to change it. You can also have long hair and be a Muslim.

I agree with the others, take your Shahada as soon as there is no doubt in your heart that you are going to take it, because we never know when our final day is.

Asalaam aleikum, and welcome to the boards. :)

Umm Abed
09-12-2016, 04:35 AM
Change your name into a beautiful Islamic name :)

Welcome to the forum. :)

greenhill
09-12-2016, 05:15 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Wishing you a great stay. Do browse the archives as there are lots of interesting topics.

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

ToddChristopher
09-12-2016, 01:38 PM
If you have any suggestions, I'm open.

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Change your name into a beautiful Islamic name :)

Welcome to the forum. :)

ToddChristopher
09-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks, both to you and everyone else who's replied.

format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Welcome to the forum.

Wishing you a great stay. Do browse the archives as there are lots of interesting topics.

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

talibilm
09-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Peace and blessings to those who seek Guidance. Welcome brother.

If you want to keep long hairs its allowed but I THINK not below our shoulders so that it resembles like women . Bro Huzaifa and more knowledgeable people will be answering you inshallah.

The below thread post # 6 will be useful imo

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...d-informations

Names that could resemble westerners if you want it to easy for you like

Haris, Harith, Zacharia, Yusuf and many Prophet's name that are used by westerners.

islamirama
09-12-2016, 03:01 PM
I think a befitting name you can choose is Xavier. It's arabic for bright/intelligent and also western sounding name (prof xavier x-men). If not you can also look for one you feel describes you better. Here's a list you can check out.

http://www.muslimnames.info/baby-boys/

Umm Abed
09-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Here's a few which are really good.

Saeed
Sa'd
Ubaid
Hasan
Ali
Uzair
Aasif

If you add Muhammad to any of these names it will be even better, but its up to your choice.

Then there are more,

Hamzah
Zaheer
Basheer
Ahmad
Uthmaan

Just make sure with a muslim of the pronunciation of the names.

Arfa
09-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Assalamualaikum brother,

A Muslim name would be more preferable SubhanAllah.

few recommendations are: Aabid, Bilal, Musa, Atif, Farooq, Haris, Aakif. It is preferable to add Muhammad before as suggested above by sister.

Best wishes

Kiro
09-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Remember, In Islam, you have to have levelled hair as far as I know.

ToddChristopher
09-16-2016, 04:53 AM
A few things:

My first name is Todd, Christopher is my middle which I've used in the past in some circles (Chris).
My hair has been growing about 5 years and is all about the same length.
I've never heard of adding Muhammmed to another name, is this common and does Muhammed come first or second?
Thanks for the suggestions, a few I've found that I like: Tilaluddin, Waheebullah, Salahaddin, Aabidullah-I'm looking at longer ones.
I've been doing more research and reading.

noraina
09-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Those are really nice names, and the longer Arabic names are beautiful ma'sha'Allah, both in pronunciation and meaning.

Some people do have the name 'Muhammad' before their other name, such as 'Muhammad Ali' or something, but it's up to you.

Al Sultan
10-19-2016, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Remember, In Islam, you have to have levelled hair as far as I know

As long as it doesn't resemble Women...

Delete.
10-19-2016, 04:50 PM
The most loved names to Allah are Abdur Rahman and Abdullah.
Our beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had hair that came down to his earlobes, and sometimes down to his shoulders.
And he was the most beautiful of creation.

Take your Shahada, brother. May Allah let you die a Muslim.

Al Sultan
10-20-2016, 04:53 PM
I heard in a hadith he had normal hair,not long hair...

Delete.
10-20-2016, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Sultan
I heard in a hadith he had normal hair,not long hair...
There are multiple Ahadeeth describing our Prophet's salaAllahu alayhi wa salam hair. Sahaba radhiAllahu anhum used to narrate what they would see. Some describe it to his earlobes, some to his shoulders or touching his shoulders, and sometimes shorter than that (Bukhari and Muslim). Allah knows best.

Al Sultan
10-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Yes...but wait that means he had different styles of hair?... like,long short,medium?...

Delete.
10-20-2016, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Sultan
Yes...but wait that means he had different styles of hair?... like,long short,medium?...
Of course, brother. We can only know it from the descriptions that the Sahaba radhiAllahu anhum gave of Nabi salaAllahu alayhi wa salam, and there are multiple Ahadeeth on it. So we take from there. Allah knows best.

aflawedbeing
10-21-2016, 02:51 AM
So weird. I had a childhood friend who's name was Todd Christopher... :/
Not kidding.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.