/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Family restricting to perform Umrah / Hajj

shazcanadian
09-16-2016, 10:52 PM
I belong to another popular sect of Ummah (the Shia Ummah), I would not like not to go deep here. As most of you may know except the Namaz, the overall concept is same of remembering Allah morning and evening in the form Salah . The Shia community, and most of the newer generations (since 1950s) have been moving to West due to financial and political reasons. Now shukranAllah, the progress & security of overall Ummah of Sunni and Shia is great. There are big Masjids, permanent prayer halls, lot of support from Government for almost all sects of Islam.

Now, although in Quran it states to perform Hajj, the overall mindset or significance of performing Hajj is dimming out in my community. Also, in West as most of you may know, the Travel agents just loot in the name of Umrah / Hajj charging anywhere from US $5000 - $10000. The past accidental events in Makkah, the political situation in middle east seems to just caution me to perform Umrah. Recently, I asked my spouse and parents if I could do Umrah and they rejected it rightaway. I reached out to some scholars in my community and although they don't directly say not to perform umrah but the overall interpretation is getting blended with "comfort zone" of attending prayer centers and regularly perform Salah. I have always wished to perform Umrah and if possible Hajj, but there has been discouragement by my family including spouse and parents. I personally think that its my right to atleast perform Umrah but these social pressure is trying to break me. How do I inform others that to perform Umrah / Hajj is a blessing and not life risk or expense spree?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
09-17-2016, 04:11 AM
Asalaam aleikum and welcome to the board. :)

Not to derail the subject, but you may wish to be aware that there has been Sunni/Shi'ia divisiveness on the board in the past, so be forewarned.

I believe it is something that is as simple as explaining to your family and other invested people that Hajj is one of the pillars of Islam. If you can afford to do it, you are required to. You are correct, it's EXPENSIVE to do it from the West; I just priced it out myself (and cannot go because I do not have a mahram that can travel with me). But if you can afford it flat out without having to borrow money or go into debt, it is a requirement. Remind your family of this. It's is not a "yeah, but it costs so muuuuuuch, and with everything going on . . . " - NO. It's REQUIRED.

Insha'Allah you will be on Hajj next year. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.