/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jazak'Allah Khair For Scholars

Little_Lion
09-18-2016, 11:30 PM
I wish to become a scholar.

I am 43 years old and only reverted to Islam a few years ago. I am now at a point in my life, where I have been declared "disabled" and no longer fit for full time work, where I can actually devote all of my time and energy to this pursuit. (Actually I will be able to in a week, insha'Allah, as my time at my job ends on Friday.) I have already begun and am now taking the free online courses at IOU, with the intention of going straight through the Bachelor's degree program and through my Masters. Insha'Allah by the time I am through with my Masters they will have the Doctorate program in place.

Alhamduillah, THESE CLASSES ARE HARD!!!!!

Now granted, as I said, I did not grow up in a Muslim household. I have never been to a mosque (there are none near me) and I have never even had the opportunity to sit down and talk with another Muslim face to face; the closest I have gotten was a 5 minute phone call with Sheikh Yusuf Estes, mashallah. I am starting from scratch. I have to constantly look up the meanings of Arabic terms that are naturally assumed that are known in the classes. On top of that I am trying to learn Arabic, and I am having a terrible time of it. It's hard to wrap my head around the different forms of the letters depending on where they are placed in a word, so I often confuse one letter for another. Insha'Allah it will become easier with practice. Other classes (for example, I am taking a lesson on tawheed right now) it is amazing how such a simple concept can become so complex when analyzed and looked at from varying perspectives.

But what I really wanted to say was, I now have an extremely deep respect for scholars. Those who have gone through years and years of study, have faced the same difficulties I am facing now, and all that, thank you. Jazak'Allah khair. And thank you especially to those who have put together classes for those like me who wish to become scholars as well.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
drac16
09-19-2016, 03:57 AM
Salam alaykum

May Allah give you success in your quest. I could never become a scholar; it's too much work and I don't have enough patience.

Umm Abed
09-19-2016, 06:26 AM
Salam.

This is the most amazing thing ever, sister, I wish you success all the way, may Allah guide you to the best way ameen.

I hope someone can provide more information for you.

eesa the kiwi
09-19-2016, 06:51 AM
May Allah grant you the tawfiq to succed in your goal and make you a blessing for the ummah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
09-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Sister, may Allah swt give you boundless success in your efforts for His sake, and may it be a means of great reward for you in both this life and the next.

I hope to become an aalimah one day inshaAllah, maybe once I have finished my secular studies. And, even if one does not wish to or is not aiming to become a scholar, I think as a Muslim you should educated yourself in the deen, even if it is a little - they say the only inheritance the Prophet's (as) have left is knowledge, and so even a small diamond from that would be invaluable alhamdulillah.

May Allah swt guide us with the ilm of His religion and give us the ability to do amal upon it. Ameen.

Serinity
09-19-2016, 09:35 AM
:salam:

I want to become a scholar too. I need to become firm on Tawheed first and foremost. In shaa' Allah, Allah will bless me with knowledge, and good-hearted, patient people to teach me.

my circumstances are such, I need to finish my secular studies and study Islam after that.
may Allah :swt: make us all a blessing for this Ummah. Ameen.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Umm Abed
09-19-2016, 10:25 AM
:wasalamex

Yes you should, you have great potential, are extremely wise and knowledgeable in a lot of things:ma: @Serinity .

Serinity
09-19-2016, 11:10 AM

First step is to finish my education and find good company. :) I think. I will in shaa' Allah get to have access to reliable authentic sources. And most important of all, may Allah :swt: bless us all with His love and Mercy. Ameen.

I find that, what is most important besides knowledge is to have a sincere heart, and a reliable source. Have good company and avoid bad/ill speech.

And besides knowledge, the knowledgable should express that knowledge in good character and heart. Knowledge without action is bad. But even with action, one should embody good character.

So even if one acts upon the knowledge he has, if it isn't accompanied by good character and ettiquettes, then that isn't good either.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Maashaa'Allaah, it's wonderful to see so many people with the desire to acquire the `Ilm of Deen. May Allaah Ta`aalaa accept your Du`aas and grant you that which you seek, Aameen.

Here is a good but concise lecture on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paPJUb8yQC4

Given by Maulana Taha Karaan, of Cape Town, South Africa.

Kiro
09-19-2016, 12:29 PM
what happened to the other scholars on this website? Did they take a holiday.

Umm Abed
09-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Our special aalim, Huzaifah ibn Adam is the only one that has been active -- and actively answers our qs :ma: may Allah bless him for being there and increase his knowledge ameen.

Serinity
09-19-2016, 02:05 PM

I don't know where to get Islamic knowledge from. Who can I trust? And how do I know what is authentic?

I read an ayat where Allah said:

30:30

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

So as long as I adhere to the Fitrah of Allah, upon which He created all people. Allah will guide me by me understanding the Fitrah of Allah?

Allah created us as Pure true monotheists, we know His Tawheed, worshipping Him Alone, that being the straight path.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Hadhrat `Ali ibn Abi Taalib رضي الله عنه said:

إعرف الحق تعرف أهله, لا تعرف الحق بالرجال

"Know the Truth and you will know who are the people of the Truth. You will never know the Truth from the people."

Umm Abed
09-19-2016, 02:59 PM
The best way to learn ilm/deeni knowledge is from a scholar, be in his company and learn from him. You will learn alot more from him apart from what he teaches. Only thing is now, ..... where to go? @Serinity .

Serinity
09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
The best way to learn ilm/deeni knowledge is from a scholar, be in his company and learn from him. You will learn alot more from him apart from what he teaches. Only thing is now, ..... where to go? @Serinity.
I have learnt that having the company of scholars/good people not only gives you the benefit of knowledge. But their character may/will rub off you.

Remember the hadith where the Prophet :saw: said something about (paraphrasing) you'll be like those whom you befriend. You know, like the one who wears perfume of musk, compared to the one who is a blacksmith?

you know, keep good company, not bad company, etc?

One should also check his intentions, because there is a hadith I remember where Allah will send a scholar to Hellfire because he didn't do it for the sake of Allah, but to show off.......

any scholar can confirm..............

Allahu alam.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 03:26 PM
That is correct.

500yardsoffo
09-19-2016, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Hadhrat `Ali ibn Abi Taalib رضي الله عنه said:

إعرف الحق تعرف أهله, لا تعرف الحق بالرجال

"Know the Truth and you will know who are the people of the Truth. You will never know the Truth from the people."
How can i know the truth if i dont ask from a person?

Little_Lion
09-19-2016, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity

I want to become a scholar too. I need to become firm on Tawheed first and foremost. In shaa' Allah, Allah will bless me with knowledge, and good-hearted, patient people to teach me.

my circumstances are such, I need to finish my secular studies and study Islam after that.
may Allah :swt: make us all a blessing for this Ummah. Ameen.

One of the courses I am taking now is on Tawheed. It is free and you can take it at your own pace, so if you do one class every one or two weeks between your regular studies, insha'Alllah you will still receive benefit.

http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/opencampus/

Register, and go to the Free Islamic Studies Diploma section on the right. The course Foundations of Islamic Studies I (IIS 011) starts off about Tawheed. The first class was about Tawheed in general, and the second is shirk in Tawheed. That's as far as I have gotten so far.

Serinity
09-19-2016, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
One of the courses I am taking now is on Tawheed. It is free and you can take it at your own pace, so if you do one class every one or two weeks between your regular studies, insha'Alllah you will still receive benefit.

http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/opencampus/

Register, and go to the Free Islamic Studies Diploma section on the right. The course Foundations of Islamic Studies I (IIS 011) starts off about Tawheed. The first class was about Tawheed in general, and the second is shirk in Tawheed. That's as far as I have gotten so far.
Yeah, I love Tawheed, :D I want to know more about it, and also about Shirk, which I hate, to avoid it I learn it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 10:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVu...UXSPsg4lrHWlo1

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
Yeah, I love Tawheed, I want to know more about it, and also about Shirk, which I hate, to avoid it I learn it.
I don't know of any `Aalim who focuses on Tawheed as much as Shaykh Ahmad Jibreel حفظه الله. I suggest you listen to his talks, akhi. You'll find them on YouTube. He has an entire series just on Tawheed. Each and every one of his lectures is filled with priceless gems.

Little_Lion
09-19-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm watching his lectures on Tawheed right now (though it looks like it will take me a few days to get through them all) and he is an excellent speaker.

Little_Lion
09-20-2016, 01:18 AM
@Serenity You should really watch these lectures that Huzaifah linked up, they are excellent. Sheikh Ahmad Musa Jibril narrates them, and he has spent over half an hour JUST on the importance of "bismillah" in tawheed. Masha'Allah, these are PERFECT to watch after the class I just took on it . . . the first class on the basics of tawheed were two and a half hours of lecture, the one on shirk in tawheed was 45 minutes, but these lectures are building on that knowledge so much.

Jazak'Allah khair for sharing them, Brother. These will be very helpful to my studies, insha'Allah!

Serinity
09-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I will.. Waswass about shirk and Tawheed has driven me crazy.

I hope the lecture will put me at ease. Although I know the answer........

I feel that True Tawheed is worshipping Allah alone, and only Him, and whosoever doesn't do that, doesn't believe in Tawheed.

Mustafa16
09-20-2016, 04:54 PM
May Allah swt bless your journey, sister, and help you in your studies, inshaAllah, ameen :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.