/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have to be religious if you're muslim? But not if you're christian?

ma23
09-23-2016, 07:51 PM
What I mean is in America whatever faith we are. Usually we are more let's say lax than many others who practice religion more strictly. This especially applies for Christians in America. What I don't get is why it doesn't seem to apply for Muslims who are American? I am a muslim born and raised and so were my parents but I always notice people expect you to be very religious if you're muslim. I was raised by Muslim parents but my parents neither of them were strict muslims. My parents were actually boyfriend and girlfriend before they had me. My mother is/was very anti-marriage because her parents were very volatile they pulled guns out on each other. She never wanted any part in marriage. And I never really went the mosque besides maybe like 5 times total as a kid most likely less. My mother prayed sometimes but not always and fasted sometimes but was more willing to give than fast and in general that's how I live my own life. I pray sometimes but not even in an orderly fashion. I would like to go to the mosque but I don't want to be judged. I had muslim women that worked with me they always thought I was nation or a convert because I do wear western attire because I am an American and so are all of my family. I just don't get why it's expected if you're muslim you have to be religious and not the same can be said for other faiths?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
khadija45
09-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Assalamu'alaikom, well I guess there are differences between the religions and in how God is worshiped and in how important it is in your life, how strong your imaan is etc. For example in Christianity you are not required to pray several times a day, most Christians barely make it to church once a week, I'm just basing this on Christianity in the uk. I think the thing to remember is that praying 5 times a day is not for the benefit of Allah swt, we are the ones who benefit by maintaining our connection with our creator.

drac16
09-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Because we're not supposed to be like the rest of the world. As it says in surah 6:116 "And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah. They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying". We're called to live a life in which we stand out. There are many things the world does that God hates. Following the rest of the world will lead you into the wrath of God. If you want to feel justified in sin, Islam is not for you. If you want to live a carnal lifestyle and have just enough religion to dim your conscience, then go do it. We don't need people like that in Islam.

If you want to follow God, then turn from your wickedness and love Him with all your heart. Don't play games.

LaSorcia
09-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Cultural Christians and Muslims aren't 'required' to do anything to stay culturally Christian or Muslim (or Jewish for that matter). But if your heart and mind and will are submitted to God, you will be religious. Your life will look different on the outside and feel different on the inside.

I have met many pious Christians. Not everyone who calls themselves Christians are just going to a social club with a God theme on Sunday. I have met a pious Muslim family as well (I have not met very many Muslims in person).

I have also met many people of various faiths who just seem to wear their religion like a logo on a t-shirt. It means little more than that.

Sadly, America is not a Christian country anymore. It's nominally a secular one, with pockets of deeply spiritual people in different places. Anyone who's been to NYC (or any other major metropolitan area) can tell you that that city is far from being Christian or anything else pious, although believers might live there.

I'm sorry for the discord in your family. I urge you to delve deeper into your faith and truly discover God/Allah for yourself!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Serinity
09-23-2016, 10:01 PM
:salam:

To each their own, why would you care what others do and think? If you obey most on Earth, they will deviate you. Allah said in Surah 6:116

"And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah. They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying".

you will go to your grave, they will go to their grave. And Allah :swt: helps the Muslims who practice and pray than those who don't.

Being a practicing Muslim is a good thing, and not something to be ashamed of like society makes it out to be. Getting closer to Allah is good.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

islamirama
09-24-2016, 12:45 AM
People of other faiths are lost. They do not have the correct message and therefore their is no connection or strong connection to Allah. Muslims who follow their footsteps are lost as well. Islam came as the last message to mankind. And Muslims are ambassadors of that message. Whether you like it or not, you represent Islam. There are those who have converted to Islam just based on observing the behavior, mannerism and conduct of Muslims before them.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose), and that you would not be brought back to Us?”[al-Mu’minoon 23:115, 116]

“We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is between them for a (mere) play” [al-Anbiya’ 21:16]

“And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them without purpose! That is the consideration of those who disbelieve! Then woe to those who disbelieve (in Islamic Monotheism) from the Fire!” [Saad 38:27]

And to the heedless, who could care less about God and religion and just want to live in this world.

“while those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode” [Muhammad 47:12]

“Leave them to eat and enjoy, and let them be preoccupied with (false) hope. They will come to know!” [al-Hijr 15:3]

“And surely, We have created many of the jinn and mankind for Hell. They have hearts wherewith they understand not, and they have eyes wherewith they see not, and they have ears wherewith they hear not (the truth). They are like cattle, nay even more astray; those! They are the heedless ones” [al-A’raaf 7:179]

So what is life, what is death? how do they fit in the grand cosmos?

“Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed. And He is the AllMighty, the OftForgiving”
[al-Mulk 67:2]

Allaah has stated this reason for the creation of mankind, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]

So based on that all, can you tell me why it is expected of Muslims to be religious?

Islam is the final message and the truth. And Islam has told us that this world is but a fainting moment in time, a mere test to see which of us are worthy to be in His grace and which of us want to follow our own little desires. We have the message, we know the truth and therefore it is we who are expected to act on it and own up to it. The previous generations of Muslims have set examples for the world to see what a true Muslim is like. One who stands out with his principles and way of life, not one quick to imitate and blend among the kuffars. We are expected to be religious because others see how committed and displined Muslims are (those who commit to their deen) and that is the status quo they judge rest of us with. That measuring stick is the real deal. All these cultural Muslims are the ones who have deviated from that. The close you are to Islam in implementing it in your life, the more true you are to that label of being a "Muslim".

What you have before you in your family is an example of people who are heedless and away from Islam. Dating and going down the haram path will not be healthy nor have any blessings in the its actions. You're parent's parents neglected to do their islamic duty and teach your parents proper Islam and the result is before you. You parents denied you your islamic right of being brought up islamic and giving you proper Islamic education, therefore you have a secular and cultural life.

So now the question is, will you keep going through life like nothing is at stake here? Muslims understand our eternity is at stake, which is why we strive to achieve that and stick to the deen. Will you make the effort to learn and understand your deen? More importantly, will your kids be secular so much so that no one can tell if they are Muslims or kuffars? or will you give them their islamic right and give them islamic education? These days it's easier to do that by sending them to Islamic schools.

Little_Lion
09-24-2016, 01:38 AM
A lot of it is because of the media in the west. If you commit an act of terror, people assume you are an extreme and extremely pious Muslim. So then they go to look for the opposite in other Muslims, and to find them go to a mosque, and usually end up talking with the imam or someone else who is heavily involved. So again they end up speaking to a pious Muslim. If they decide "well, I'll just talk to the average Muslim on the street", how do you find one? You look for someone wearing a thobe or a hijab - namely, a pious Muslim. So the impression to the general populace quickly becomes "Muslim = pious".

Of course, you are also asking this question on an Islamic discussion board, which does tend to draw pious Muslims (the non-pious ones don't usually hang out discussing their religion). So you're going to get a lot of pious answers here. :)

darkbro
09-24-2016, 03:40 AM
It just happens in western countries i think.

Go to a muslim-populated country (Egypt, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc) and you will rarely find religious muslims..

One travel advice for muslims is.. if you got lost or you need something.. find a masjid. The people there will genuinely help you (at least that what happened to many people).. The advice wont work in muslim country [emoji13]

AnnaK
09-24-2016, 07:26 AM
I live in America too, and I think it's a societal expectation based on the lack of media (or very biased media). Christianity is pretty lax in America because over time it became culturally acceptable to practice it in less than pious forms. The only time Americans have any exposure to Islam in media is when focusing in on cases of extremism. In that respect, it causes a subconscious affect that forces the idea of Muslims in western culture to be very conservative, in not standard American clothing, and with heavy ties to religion.

If western media and culture had more exposure to "casual Islam" or whatever term you would prefer to use, then the pressure to be very religious would decline (in my opinion).

sister herb
09-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Many people here too - maybe nowadays majority - are Christians only by name. Public opinion is that religion is stricly everyone´s personal matter and those whose openly tell about it or show it are labeled as some kind of lunatics.

Showing your belief openly in public seems to cause fear amongst of those people whose own religious feelings are quite lame. It´s same what ever is your religion. People aren´t only islamophobics - they are "religion-phobics".

Born_Believer
10-02-2016, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ma23
What I mean is in America whatever faith we are. Usually we are more let's say lax than many others who practice religion more strictly. This especially applies for Christians in America. What I don't get is why it doesn't seem to apply for Muslims who are American? I am a muslim born and raised and so were my parents but I always notice people expect you to be very religious if you're muslim. I was raised by Muslim parents but my parents neither of them were strict muslims. My parents were actually boyfriend and girlfriend before they had me. My mother is/was very anti-marriage because her parents were very volatile they pulled guns out on each other. She never wanted any part in marriage. And I never really went the mosque besides maybe like 5 times total as a kid most likely less. My mother prayed sometimes but not always and fasted sometimes but was more willing to give than fast and in general that's how I live my own life. I pray sometimes but not even in an orderly fashion. I would like to go to the mosque but I don't want to be judged. I had muslim women that worked with me they always thought I was nation or a convert because I do wear western attire because I am an American and so are all of my family. I just don't get why it's expected if you're muslim you have to be religious and not the same can be said for other faiths?
First off, there is no such thing as a "strict" Muslim. You are either a Muslim who practices his faith or you're not. There is nothing strict about praying, giving to charity if you can or fasting etc etc etc.

It is the almost perverse western mindset where "everything goes"...unless what you want to do is some genuine good for humanity.

Islam promotes a balanced and disciplined way of life, which is better for you physically, mentally and spiritually.

Look at all the ills of the non practicing, Muslim or otherwise. They are depressed, on all sorts of medication, drink and smoke to such an extent that their bodies and wrecks and so on. I know fellow students who are so addicted to alcohol, the moment they can leave on Friday, they start drinking their weekend away, rather than be constructive, active, learning something new or just spending time with family. They then wake up on Monday and are depressed and hung over lol

With regards to the overall theme of your thread, who says other religions don't ask you to be practicing? Of course they do but the people don't follow it because their faith is not true and their religions false. In fact, go and read some Jewish, Christian or Hindu scriptures and their rules and regulations, then come back to me and tell me that Islam is strict.

ma23
10-06-2016, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khadija45
Assalamu'alaikom, well I guess there are differences between the religions and in how God is worshiped and in how important it is in your life, how strong your imaan is etc. For example in Christianity you are not required to pray several times a day, most Christians barely make it to church once a week, I'm just basing this on Christianity in the uk. I think the thing to remember is that praying 5 times a day is not for the benefit of Allah swt, we are the ones who benefit by maintaining our connection with our creator.
Hi,

The thing is I follow the quran and though it says to pray in groups I don't feel it tells me to follow anybodyin this day and age. I don't feel the need to follow the Imam. But I don't have any issue praying together I just never do because I moved from reno and last time I had prayed in the reno mosque a lady told my mom he had to wear an hijab even though she was covering her head she was just wearing western clothing. And they separated men from women. And the women were in the dark. And some of the Americans were even wearing nonwestern apparel. It was like to be muslim to them was to embrace another culture.

Also I know I'm supposed to pray 3 times a day at least. But I just don't always find the time But do agree I've always known how important GOD is. And I know to be in GOD's FAVOR I have to do better. But I don't get how that makes someone any less muslim than a Christian that does the same.

ma23
10-06-2016, 09:40 PM
That's the thing though. I'm not a cultural muslim. I have history in America since the slave trade for the most part. I consider myself apart of the muslim faith as I believe in GOD the way the Quran teaches to. And I think it's the only religious text that actually is true. Just like may Christians do. There are religious christians but not all are some believe in the bible and are christians due to beliefs.

But then there are many reasons I have thought to not do something sinful because I feel like maybe GOD is protecting me from it all this time that I should probably just go with it. That's why I don't drink plus my dad was a drunk so I know like it's not feasible for me. Same with men and sex I don't because after all this time I think maybe it's GOD telling me I shouldn't so I don't. I don't do any major sins for those reasons. And I just don't find the time to pray or fast. It's more with fasting I don't get up early enough to start fasting. Then praying is the same. I get up when I can't pray and got to sleep when I can't pray so I'm left with not much time really.

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Cultural Christians and Muslims aren't 'required' to do anything to stay culturally Christian or Muslim (or Jewish for that matter). But if your heart and mind and will are submitted to God, you will be religious. Your life will look different on the outside and feel different on the inside.

I have met many pious Christians. Not everyone who calls themselves Christians are just going to a social club with a God theme on Sunday. I have met a pious Muslim family as well (I have not met very many Muslims in person).

I have also met many people of various faiths who just seem to wear their religion like a logo on a t-shirt. It means little more than that.

Sadly, America is not a Christian country anymore. It's nominally a secular one, with pockets of deeply spiritual people in different places. Anyone who's been to NYC (or any other major metropolitan area) can tell you that that city is far from being Christian or anything else pious, although believers might live there.

I'm sorry for the discord in your family. I urge you to delve deeper into your faith and truly discover God/Allah for yourself!

ma23
10-06-2016, 09:58 PM
I see it a tad different I think monotheists like Christians and jews are the same as if they are good too they get the same rewards. I don't have anything against other faiths. Other religions just don't make any sense to me. Like the one in three or whatever doesn't make any sense the story of jesus dying but not dying is insane to me. Andx the torah makes more sense but things like saying humans are in GOD'S image is sickening to me. Saying GOD has children is just a make believe story to me. Anything that seeks to personify GOD is not true therefore I don't believe in it. Because this universe is too complex for something humanlike to create it imo. But a peron believing these things are as good in intention as that's what the Quran teaches.

I'm sorry you didn't list what you're quoting came from. I don't know the names in Arabic only only English.

actually my mom taught me islam and read the quran regularly that's how I was born muslim

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
People of other faiths are lost. They do not have the correct message and therefore their is no connection or strong connection to Allah. Muslims who follow their footsteps are lost as well. Islam came as the last message to mankind. And Muslims are ambassadors of that message. Whether you like it or not, you represent Islam. There are those who have converted to Islam just based on observing the behavior, mannerism and conduct of Muslims before them.

“Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose), and that you would not be brought back to Us?”[al-Mu’minoon 23:115, 116]

“We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is between them for a (mere) play” [al-Anbiya’ 21:16]

“And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them without purpose! That is the consideration of those who disbelieve! Then woe to those who disbelieve (in Islamic Monotheism) from the Fire!” [Saad 38:27]

And to the heedless, who could care less about God and religion and just want to live in this world.

“while those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode” [Muhammad 47:12]

“Leave them to eat and enjoy, and let them be preoccupied with (false) hope. They will come to know!” [al-Hijr 15:3]

“And surely, We have created many of the jinn and mankind for Hell. They have hearts wherewith they understand not, and they have eyes wherewith they see not, and they have ears wherewith they hear not (the truth). They are like cattle, nay even more astray; those! They are the heedless ones” [al-A’raaf 7:179]

So what is life, what is death? how do they fit in the grand cosmos?

“Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed. And He is the AllMighty, the OftForgiving”

Allaah has stated this reason for the creation of mankind, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]

So based on that all, can you tell me why it is expected of Muslims to be religious?

Islam is the final message and the truth. And Islam has told us that this world is but a fainting moment in time, a mere test to see which of us are worthy to be in His grace and which of us want to follow our own little desires. We have the message, we know the truth and therefore it is we who are expected to act on it and own up to it. The previous generations of Muslims have set examples for the world to see what a true Muslim is like. One who stands out with his principles and way of life, not one quick to imitate and blend among the kuffars. We are expected to be religious because others see how committed and displined Muslims are (those who commit to their deen) and that is the status quo they judge rest of us with. That measuring stick is the real deal. All these cultural Muslims are the ones who have deviated from that. The close you are to Islam in implementing it in your life, the more true you are to that label of being a "Muslim".

What you have before you in your family is an example of people who are heedless and away from Islam. Dating and going down the haram path will not be healthy nor have any blessings in the its actions. You're parent's parents neglected to do their islamic duty and teach your parents proper Islam and the result is before you. You parents denied you your islamic right of being brought up islamic and giving you proper Islamic education, therefore you have a secular and cultural life.

So now the question is, will you keep going through life like nothing is at stake here? Muslims understand our eternity is at stake, which is why we strive to achieve that and stick to the deen. Will you make the effort to learn and understand your deen? More importantly, will your kids be secular so much so that no one can tell if they are Muslims or kuffars? or will you give them their islamic right and give them islamic education? These days it's easier to do that by sending them to Islamic schools.

ma23
10-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Yeah I used to work with a convert or revert and like she was surprised that I was muslim because of how I dress and stuff I think or maybe because I'm black she thought I had to be part of the nation or a convert. And then we'd talk a lot more than anyone else at my job and then like she'd imply muslims like had to be like homophobic well because it was like last year and the whole thing was legalized last year. And I tried to say I don't like to judge other people because GOD's the ultimate judge and the like. And like I have heard similar things in the past. For me I'm just like glad to not have that issue but politically I am more liberal on that whole issue. You know some Chrisitians are pro abortion and like 1000% liberal while still being very Christian. While there still Christian conservatives. I feel the same with varying thought for being a muslim. And I am for the most part when you look overall a conservative muslim I just have a little more room in thought and more belief that people have free will. I am a muslim and think my place is nothing. Therefore I'm not the JUDGE. Only GOD is.

format_quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
I live in America too, and I think it's a societal expectation based on the lack of media (or very biased media). Christianity is pretty lax in America because over time it became culturally acceptable to practice it in less than pious forms. The only time Americans have any exposure to Islam in media is when focusing in on cases of extremism. In that respect, it causes a subconscious affect that forces the idea of Muslims in western culture to be very conservative, in not standard American clothing, and with heavy ties to religion.

If western media and culture had more exposure to "casual Islam" or whatever term you would prefer to use, then the pressure to be very religious would decline (in my opinion).

ma23
10-07-2016, 02:46 AM
Yeah I don't do any of that I don't drink or anything of that. I just am not very cultural. I'm actually always told I'm the good girl type. I have one thing I want to do nothing to do with religion that would complete it. But anyway I was just saying on the cultural end and praying and fasting I don't do. And I don't go to the mosque because I haven't found one that I'd actually fit in well. Drinking I can't do anyway because my dad was a drunjk and my mom's outer family grandfathers aunt uncles etc... great grandma big mama lady were all drunks. And my dad's side too. I bought a dip once from Walmart when I was 18 and it had alcohol in it I didn't know until it was too late and I was scared. So I mean I don't come close. And smoking would ruin my life. So I don't do any of that. My mom and her parents live sober lives. I just was saying I'm not very religious. Like people don't know I'm muslim. I don't dress in attire that seems foreign to me. I don't speak any languages besides English and French fairly as that's my heritage. I don't go to mosque also because the last one I went to was putting women in the dark and saying my mom had to wear certain attire because she's muslim. I don't pray because I don't find the time and fasting I don't do because of schedule problems. But I don't drink don't do drugs don't really break any rules or commit sins. I even do give sometimes. It's hard to in vegas but like I give more like with stuff. I'm not like my mom getting scammed by the nearest drug addict or anything. But yeah I follow the Quran just don't find the time to pray. And I don't see the other cultural stuff people do as having to do with religion basically. To me religion is separate from culture. Just like race is.
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
First off, there is no such thing as a "strict" Muslim. You are either a Muslim who practices his faith or you're not. There is nothing strict about praying, giving to charity if you can or fasting etc etc etc.

It is the almost perverse western mindset where "everything goes"...unless what you want to do is some genuine good for humanity.

Islam promotes a balanced and disciplined way of life, which is better for you physically, mentally and spiritually.

Look at all the ills of the non practicing, Muslim or otherwise. They are depressed, on all sorts of medication, drink and smoke to such an extent that their bodies and wrecks and so on. I know fellow students who are so addicted to alcohol, the moment they can leave on Friday, they start drinking their weekend away, rather than be constructive, active, learning something new or just spending time with family. They then wake up on Monday and are depressed and hung over lol

With regards to the overall theme of your thread, who says other religions don't ask you to be practicing? Of course they do but the people don't follow it because their faith is not true and their religions false. In fact, go and read some Jewish, Christian or Hindu scriptures and their rules and regulations, then come back to me and tell me that Islam is strict.

ma23
10-07-2016, 02:56 AM
btw moderators why does my profile say I'm a guy and how can I change it? I'm a female.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Many Christians falsely believe that Jesus is equal/the same as God and they believe that because he is so forgiving he will forgive any sin as long as they are sorry for it. Many don't even feel guilty enough to stop sinning. As to the second part of your question people (I assume you talk about other muslims) expect muslims to be religious because where you are on the planet should have no effect on your imam or behavior as a pious muslim. Just because other people take their faith less seriously doesn't give us an excuse to. Islam is the path to guide us away from those false religions and ways of life. I don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental when I say this but being Muslim requires more than just being born from people who are muslim. You actually have to practice your faith. Not just when it is convenient or easy for you. Your mother seems to have a flawed perception of Islam because of what she witnessed as a child. I say this because she has a stance against marriage which actually completes half of our deen and is something that Allah has made lawful. You should start going back to the masjid and studying your religion and praying too. Just know that being muslim requires sacrifice. Everyday is a test but remember that Allah is always merciful.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 03:40 AM
Hi,

The thing is I follow the quran and though it says to pray in groups I don't feel it tells me to follow anybodyin this day and age. I don't feel the need to follow the Imam. But I don't have any issue praying together I just never do because I moved from reno and last time I had prayed in the reno mosque a lady told my mom he had to wear an hijab even though she was covering her head she was just wearing western clothing. And they separated men from women. And the women were in the dark. And some of the Americans were even wearing nonwestern apparel. It was like to be muslim to them was to embrace another culture.

Also I know I'm supposed to pray 3 times a day at least. But I just don't always find the time But do agree I've always known how important GOD is. And I know to be in GOD's FAVOR I have to do better. But I don't get how that makes someone any less muslim than a Christian that does the same.
You really need to research Islam because you are mistaken on a lot of things. Abaya and Hijab is not part of another person's culture it is a part of every muslim woman's culture no matter what country she is from. Islam does not require you to give up a part of your heritage or culture unless it goes against islam. If that is the case you should flee from it because on the day of judgement you will be held responsible. I am a revert sister from America and I wear abaya or skirt everyday because that is part of hijab. Since you are a woman you do not have to pray at the masjid it is just an option. You can pray at your own or at a friends but if you are in the masjid you must follow the imam. And you are actually required to pray 5 times a day not 3. I am going to pray for you because I think someone has given you false information. I also want you to check out websites for new muslims it could clear up a lot of your confusion.

kritikvernunft
10-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Usually we are more let's say lax than many others who practice religion more strictly.
Well, in all practical terms, practicing more strictly means rejecting man-made law more decisively.
The more the believer rejects other sources of law than the only legitimate one, the more he proves his true belief.

AnnaK
10-07-2016, 05:29 AM
Between the Quran and Hadiths, it literally dictates everything that we should do, everything that is a crime, and really holds everything that anyone could ever really need. More Muslims are more religious because Islam is made to not only act as a religion, but also to dictate laws, and how to live. Some of the obvious requirements of Islam are 5 daily prayers, fasting for an entire month, and giving to charity, so just by the start it is a very hands on religion that really requires a lot of work.

While I can see some people not following the rules as strictly as they should, I think that simply believing isn't enough for the faith of Islam. The Quran, how many dozens of times mandates daily prayer? Not being a very religious Muslim, in my opinion from my interpretation of the Scripture, isn't really being Muslim at all. It's essentially a requirement of the religion to be religious.

Compare it to Christianity per say, where their holy book only mandates that they believe in Jesus as the son of God to get to heaven. While there are rules for Christianity for sure, the entire structure is more lax. There are things Christians can't do, but there aren't really things that Christians are mandated to do. I was born and raised Christian (Muslim now), but while I was given restrictions, I never had any requirements dictated to me from the Bible. In the Quran though, it essentially mandates you to be religious. That's the key thing in my opinion. Our Scripture specifically mandates us to do things, which makes us more religious and not "lax" as other religions.

aaj
10-07-2016, 04:48 PM
I see it a tad different I think monotheists like Christians and jews are the same as if they are good too they get the same rewards.
"..This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion..."[5:3]

"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [3:85]

I'm sorry you didn't list what you're quoting came from. I don't know the names in Arabic only only English.
How can you not tell what i'm Quoting from?

Even for English only speakers, a Muslim would know i'm quoting the Quran just from the quotes alone let alone the reference given after each one.

The listed below are Quran's chapter names followerd by numerial reference.

[al-Mu’minoon 23:115, 116]
[al-Anbiya’ 21:16]
[al-Hijr 15:3]

actually my mom taught me islam and read the quran regularly that's how I was born muslim
Everyone is born Muslim. How they are raised is how their religion changes. It seems you are lacking Islamic knowledge based on what you have said. Sister rssun joy has good advice worth listening to inshallah.

ma23
10-07-2016, 06:14 PM
No the thing is realistically Christians think who they worship as narcissistic. That only those who go to heaven are those who worship him. And that sins don't matter whether they were good or bad doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is worshipping and acknowledging the false way they worship. Muslims believe as the Quran has taught that whoever does good and believes in GOD and the last day to make it to heaven. That includes any monotheist who does right. Because GOD comprehends everyone's situation and is ALL-KNOWING and THE MOST MERCIFUL. That's a bit of why Christians can fool themselves into committing all sorts of sin. But they know better as well. And I agree to make it to heaven you've got to be a good person. But it also says in the Quran you can be muslim and go to hell. Like any other faith. So there are good and bad muslims. That's why I don't see how muslims socially are seen as strict muslims only.

Many Christians falsely believe that Jesus is equal/the same as God and they believe that because he is so forgiving he will forgive any sin as long as they are sorry for it. Many don't even feel guilty enough to stop sinning. As to the second part of your question people (I assume you talk about other muslims) expect muslims to be religious because where you are on the planet should have no effect on your imam or behavior as a pious muslim. Just because other people take their faith less seriously doesn't give us an excuse to. Islam is the path to guide us away from those false religions and ways of life. I don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental when I say this but being Muslim requires more than just being born from people who are muslim. You actually have to practice your faith. Not just when it is convenient or easy for you. Your mother seems to have a flawed perception of Islam because of what she witnessed as a child. I say this because she has a stance against marriage which actually completes half of our deen and is something that Allah has made lawful. You should start going back to the masjid and studying your religion and praying too. Just know that being muslim requires sacrifice. Everyday is a test but remember that Allah is always merciful.

Born_Believer
10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah I don't do any of that I don't drink or anything of that. I just am not very cultural. I'm actually always told I'm the good girl type. I have one thing I want to do nothing to do with religion that would complete it. But anyway I was just saying on the cultural end and praying and fasting I don't do. And I don't go to the mosque because I haven't found one that I'd actually fit in well. Drinking I can't do anyway because my dad was a drunjk and my mom's outer family grandfathers aunt uncles etc... great grandma big mama lady were all drunks. And my dad's side too. I bought a dip once from Walmart when I was 18 and it had alcohol in it I didn't know until it was too late and I was scared. So I mean I don't come close. And smoking would ruin my life. So I don't do any of that. My mom and her parents live sober lives. I just was saying I'm not very religious. Like people don't know I'm muslim. I don't dress in attire that seems foreign to me. I don't speak any languages besides English and French fairly as that's my heritage. I don't go to mosque also because the last one I went to was putting women in the dark and saying my mom had to wear certain attire because she's muslim. I don't pray because I don't find the time and fasting I don't do because of schedule problems. But I don't drink don't do drugs don't really break any rules or commit sins. I even do give sometimes. It's hard to in vegas but like I give more like with stuff. I'm not like my mom getting scammed by the nearest drug addict or anything. But yeah I follow the Quran just don't find the time to pray. And I don't see the other cultural stuff people do as having to do with religion basically. To me religion is separate from culture. Just like race is.
I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I'm not saying you drink or smoke, I was simply stating Muslim practices.

It's great that you don't do those things but to say you don't commit sins yet admit you don't pray or fast, I think you're confused as to what constitutes a sin. Not praying and not fasting the compulsory fasts are sins. You're only excuse for doing so would be limited to serious ill health, pregnancy and a handful of other restrictions.

Like the Prophet PBUH said, "What separates between faith and disbelief is prayer."

So, from one Muslim to another, I would highly recommend that you pray. It is of no benefit to Allah or to anyone else but yourself. The fact that you can stay away from alcohol and drugs and smoking in a place like Vegas goes to show you have a strong will anyway, so why not put that will towards praying and fasting?

With regards to going to a mosque, it is not compulsory for a woman to do so, meaning you have nothing to worry about there, although if you do go, you will obviously have to dress appropriately. Every aspect of life has a dress code, would you go to a job interview wearing a pokemon t-shirt and shorts? (Unless you're applying to work at FB or something lol)

In terms of cultural practices, it would depend entirely on which aspects of which culture(s) you are talking about.

Anyway, with regards to your overall thread, like I said, go and read up on other religions and you will find that Islam is not as strict.

ma23
10-07-2016, 06:29 PM
You really need to research Islam because you are mistaken on a lot of things. Abaya and Hijab is not part of another person's culture it is a part of every muslim woman's culture no matter what country she is from. Islam does not require you to give up a part of your heritage or culture unless it goes against islam. If that is the case you should flee from it because on the day of judgement you will be held responsible. I am a revert sister from America and I wear abaya or skirt everyday because that is part of hijab. Since you are a woman you do not have to pray at the masjid it is just an option. You can pray at your own or at a friends but if you are in the masjid you must follow the imam. And you are actually required to pray 5 times a day not 3. I am going to pray for you because I think someone has given you false information. I also want you to check out websites for new muslims it could clear up a lot of your confusion.

If the abaya was not apart o a specific culture why is it not in English? It never says in the Quran that you have to cover your head. And it never says you have to wear an abaya. You have to dress modestly. That's what it teaches. Andmy mother always said I couldn't wear shorts and tanks. And I personally don't like t wear shorts or anything revealing to me legs etc... Dressing modestly can pertain to western attire as well. Which is what I feel too uncomfortable about because so many muslims act like you're supposed to wear such attire But I don't think GOD teaches us to embrace a culture or custom but to embrace a path o heaven.

I follow only the Qran so that's why we may have differences. It doesn't say in the quran men have to go to the mosque or that women don't. That's what people say. I don't follow people that's why I'm muslim. Because the Quran is the only scripture that is completely from GOD.

And prayer I think it's good to do 5 prayers a day. But I believe 3 or 4 from what I've read were mentioned in the quran. I'll ask my mom though if she foundthe 5th one. I also think it's good to do the watches of the night. I like the Quran and I'll question the source of any other scripture that's not the Quran.

ma23
10-07-2016, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
Well, in all practical terms, practicing more strictly means rejecting man-made law more decisively.
The more the believer rejects other sources of law than the only legitimate one, the more he proves his true belief.

Well yeah to e all laws and authority goes back to the quran. I don't doubt if you don't follow the quran if you're muslim you'll make it anywhere but hell. I'm just saying I don't get why a muslim can't be relaxed and still be muslim. It says muslims will go to hell.

ma23
10-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Um I think this is where I split with some muslims. I don't accept the hadith with the same esteem as the quran. From what I've heard about the hadith some of it sounded more tradition that religious binding. I actually did a dna test. On ancestrydna almost none of my heritage is from the middle east recently to the point that t wasn't even in th trace regions. It's majorly from Nigeria cote d'ivoire mali for Europe French Ireland and sweden. And gedmatch which goes more to actual tribe had much to do with the tuareg hausa and shuwa. I have heritage with people with islam as the faith but no cultural ties. Most of my family originated from northern africa. Therefore I don't really have an interest in learning about that culture. It has nothing to do with me. Or any origin I might have and any heritage I do have which would be below 1% would be more to do with my african heritage altogether. I don't have any interest in learning the culture. I just want t someday be good and follow the Quran completely. My mother doesn't follow the hadith and the only reason my grandma does is because she follows her mosque. Some of what I've heard the hadith say is always in contradicts with the quran. And anything against the quran I think is basically wrong. It also says in the quran not to follow any scripture after the quran.

Well are you talking about the hadith scripture? Because I don't know. But the Quran specifically says there are bad muslims who will go to hell. So that's what I believe.

I think Christians don't really believe it's not mandatory they just lie to themselves basically.

Between the Quran and Hadiths, it literally dictates everything that we should do, everything that is a crime, and really holds everything that anyone could ever really need. More Muslims are more religious because Islam is made to not only act as a religion, but also to dictate laws, and how to live. Some of the obvious requirements of Islam are 5 daily prayers, fasting for an entire month, and giving to charity, so just by the start it is a very hands on religion that really requires a lot of work.

While I can see some people not following the rules as strictly as they should, I think that simply believing isn't enough for the faith of Islam. The Quran, how many dozens of times mandates daily prayer? Not being a very religious Muslim, in my opinion from my interpretation of the Scripture, isn't really being Muslim at all. It's essentially a requirement of the religion to be religious.

Compare it to Christianity per say, where their holy book only mandates that they believe in Jesus as the son of God to get to heaven. While there are rules for Christianity for sure, the entire structure is more lax. There are things Christians can't do, but there aren't really things that Christians are mandated to do. I was born and raised Christian (Muslim now), but while I was given restrictions, I never had any requirements dictated to me from the Bible. In the Quran though, it essentially mandates you to be religious. That's the key thing in my opinion. Our Scripture specifically mandates us to do things, which makes us more religious and not "lax" as other religions.

ma23
10-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Islam means to submit which actually incudes jews and Christians. And it says in the Quran Christians jews and sabayyans will go to heaven whosoever believes in GOD the last day and does right. They get the same reward ad are considered believers a they are readers of the previous scriptures. That's why we can eat the food they prepare and marry them. As it says in another chapter that marrying a believing slave is better than an idolater. Idolaters are described to be hellbond. But Christians and jews are not.... They are equal in receiving the same reward as muslims.

No the al m'munonn or anbiya r hijr al-mul

I don't know what that means

someone once quoted the cow and called it the Arabic name and I was going to call it bull because I didn't know what the cow was in Arabic. So when naming the chapter use English please. So I know where you're talking about and in what context.

Just how I knew what you were quoting your first quote here.

format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
"..This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion..."[5:3]

"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [3:85]

How can you not tell what i'm Quoting from?

Even for English only speakers, a Muslim would know i'm quoting the Quran just from the quotes alone let alone the reference given after each one.

The listed below are Quran's chapter names followerd by numerial reference.

[al-Mu’minoon 23:115, 116]
[al-Anbiya’ 21:16]

Everyone is born Muslim. How they are raised is how their religion changes. It seems you are lacking Islamic knowledge based on what you have said. Sister has good advice worth listening to inshallah.
No it actually says in the quran we all come from being in the dark or misleaded so to speak.

Islamic knowledge is knowledge of the Quran which I have. And you seem to have distorted at least trying to imply jews and Christians were disbelievers when they are certalynot and wil go to heaven.

ma23
10-07-2016, 07:41 PM
when I was in 3-5th grade I looked up other religions none of them made sense so I stopped looking into them....

I'm also a skeptic. Like I didn't read in the Quran the prophet saying that between faith and disbelief is prayer. Jews pray only 3 times a day and Christians pray when they want to like at night or something yet they are still believers. Of course a muslim cannot live the lie a Cristian lives because they know the truth therefore there's no chance of going backwards. And I agree to make it to heaven for a muslim you have to pray. I believe in prayer. I just don't find the time and I know the importance of it. I just need to find the time to do so.

format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I'm not saying you drink or smoke, I was simply stating Muslim practices.

It's great that you don't do those things but to say you don't commit sins yet admit you don't pray or fast, I think you're confused as to what constitutes a sin. Not praying and not fasting the compulsory fasts are sins. You're only excuse for doing so would be limited to serious ill health, pregnancy and a handful of other restrictions.

Like the Prophet PBUH said, "What separates between faith and disbelief is prayer."

So, from one Muslim to another, I would highly recommend that you pray. It is of no benefit to Allah or to anyone else but yourself. The fact that you can stay away from alcohol and drugs and smoking in a place like Vegas goes to show you have a strong will anyway, so why not put that will towards praying and fasting?

With regards to going to a mosque, it is not compulsory for a woman to do so, meaning you have nothing to worry about there, although if you do go, you will obviously have to dress appropriately. Every aspect of life has a dress code, would you go to a job interview wearing a pokemon t-shirt and shorts? (Unless you're applying to work at FB or something lol)

In terms of cultural practices, it would depend entirely on which aspects of which culture(s) you are talking about.

Anyway, with regards to your overall thread, like I said, go and read up on other religions and you will find that Islam is not as strict.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 07:42 PM
If the abaya was not apart o a specific culture why is it not in English? It never says in the Quran that you have to cover your head. And it never says you have to wear an abaya. You have to dress modestly. That's what it teaches. Andmy mother always said I couldn't wear shorts and tanks. And I personally don't like t wear shorts or anything revealing to me legs etc... Dressing modestly can pertain to western attire as well. Which is what I feel too uncomfortable about because so many muslims act like you're supposed to wear such attire But I don't think GOD teaches us to embrace a culture or custom but to embrace a path o heaven.

I follow only the Qran so that's why we may have differences. It doesn't say in the quran men have to go to the mosque or that women don't. That's what people say. I don't follow people that's why I'm muslim. Because the Quran is the only scripture that is completely from GOD.

And prayer I think it's good to do 5 prayers a day. But I believe 3 or 4 from what I've read were mentioned in the quran. I'll ask my mom though if she foundthe 5th one. I also think it's good to do the watches of the night. I like the Quran and I'll question the source of any other scripture that's not the Quran.
The quran tells the believing women to draw their veil and cover their breast. If you have researched Islam and the time before Islam you would have found out that abaya is nothing new. Women wore abaya and veils but their veils did not cover their chests. Secondly abaya isn't in English because it is not an English word. If you don't believe me then do your own research but women are told how to dress in both quran and Sunnah. Wearing hijab is not someone else's culture as I said before if you are muslim it is your culture. You need to follow the Sunnah as well. The Sunnah is not comprised of people's personal beliefs it comes from teachings of our prophet Muhammad. I agree people add on to the religion things from their personal culture but the Quran and Sunnah do not. When Muhhammad took the night journey the prayer times were reduced to five. Fajr, Dhurh, Asr, Maghrib and Isha. You say you do not follow men blindly but you follow your mother blindly. If you had done your own research you would have discovered a lot of contradictions in what you have been taught compared to actual Islam.

ma23
10-07-2016, 07:47 PM
The quran tells the believing women to draw their veil and cover their breast. If you have researched Islam and the time before Islam you would have found out that abaya is nothing new. Women wore abaya and veils but their veils did not cover their chests. Secondly abaya isn't in English because it is not an English word. If you don't believe me then do your own research but women are told how to dress in both quran and Sunnah. Wearing hijab is not someone else's culture as I said before if you are muslim it is your culture. You need to follow the Sunnah as well. The Sunnah is not comprised of people's personal beliefs it comes from teachings of our prophet Muhammad. I agree people add on to the religion things from their personal culture but the Quran and Sunnah do not. When Muhhammad took the night journey the prayer times were reduced to five. Fajr, Dhurh, Asr, Maghrib and Isha. You say you do not follow men blindly but you follow your mother blindly. If you had done your own research you would have discovered a lot of contradictions in what you have been taught compared to actual Islam.
That's actually about the prophet's women. Not women in general

And that's my point abays have been around for nonmuslims or middle eastern people. I did a dna test. I am not middle eastern. 85-9-% of my heritage is in Africa. I on't want to e middle eastern I want to be a good muslim. I don't have to embrace any culture to do he duties of my faith.

I don't read or believe in the sunnah. I said it previously only believe in the Quran. W're supposed to dress modestly. And even in thveil comment it never said women had to wear a veil or abaya.

aaj
10-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Islam means to submit which actually incudes jews and Christians. They get the same reward ad are considered believers a they are readers of the previous scriptures. They are equal in receiving the same reward as muslims. And you seem to have distorted at least trying to imply jews and Christians were disbelievers when they are certaly not and wil go to heaven
If you want to submit to Islam then submit whole heartedly. You can't pick and choose or make up you own interpretations. The Quran is clear.

"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will NEVER be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he WILL BE one of the LOSERS." [3:85]

And it says in the Quran Christians jews and sabayyans will go to heaven whosoever believes in GOD the last day and does right.
Scholars are in agreement in that, that refers to the jew and christians who followed their Prophets when their prophets came. It does not refer to today's christians and jews. The above verses make it clear, no other religion will be accepted.

No the al m'munonn or anbiya r hijr al-mul

I don't know what that means

someone once quoted the cow and called it the Arabic name and I was going to call it bull because I didn't know what the cow was in Arabic. So when naming the chapter use English please. So I know where you're talking about and in what context.

Just how I knew what you were quoting your first quote here.
Even if you can't read the transliteration words the referencing same as any other source. [ Chapter : page Number], that much is obvious.

and if you can't read the arabic then how are you reading the Quran?

Islamic knowledge is knowledge of the Quran which I have..
Islamic knowledge is the Quran, the hadiths (recorded sayings of the Prophet) and the sunnah (living example of the Prophet). It is also what the first 4 righteous caliphs left behind in jurisprudence. There are contradicting hadiths because there are sound, weak and fabricated hadiths. They all have been identified as such as we as Muslims know which ones to take our knowledge from.

For you to say you follow the Quran only is a misguidance on your part. There is a sect called the al-Qur’aaniyyeen and they are who you belong to right now, not the right Islam.

You can read about them here: https://islamqa.info/en/3440

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 08:43 PM
That's actually about the prophet's women. Not women in general

And that's my point abays have been around for nonmuslims or middle eastern people. I did a dna test. I am not middle eastern. 85-9-% of my heritage is in Africa. I on't want to e middle eastern I want to be a good muslim. I don't have to embrace any culture to do he duties of my faith.

I don't read or believe in the sunnah. I said it previously only believe in the Quran. W're supposed to dress modestly. And even in thveil comment it never said women had to wear a veil or abaya.
If you believe that you are muslim then you are part of the Prophet's unmah which makes you one of those women. It says ALL women not just his wives or middle eastern women. Women all over the world wear abaya/hijab because they are muslims. I'm a black woman from America and I have not adopted anyone else's culture. Its your personal choice but right now you are lying to yourself because wearing hijab may inconvenience you but I know you have enough common sense to know the prophet did not excuse women outside the middle east from hijab and abaya. Does it say wear it until it goes out of style? Does it say wear it unless you are from another country? I just follow Quran and Sunah. Being a good muslim means following Sunnah as well as Quran. Sunnah is not the personal beliefs of others but the teachings of the prophet. Right now you are in a state of ignorance and I urge you to actually do research because everything you have said so far is wrong. The worst state you can be in is a state of ignorance. All muslims be it men, women , and children are required to seek knowledge.

AnnaK
10-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Um I think this is where I split with some muslims. I don't accept the hadith with the same esteem as the quran.
Hey, I completely understand. While we all agree on the validity of the Quran, it can very well be questioned if any of the hadiths are reliable. I can see the problems that arise in the fact that they weren't immediately published after the death of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

I don't remember where I saw this, but somewhere someone said that if a hadith seems to match up with what the Quran says, then follow it. If not, then ignore the hadith. That's honestly how I handle it, not because I'm questioning the validity of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), but because I'm questioning the validity of other people's memories and motives.

M.I.A.
10-07-2016, 10:07 PM
i have a hard time giving to charity collectors..

sometimes i wait for hours for customers and then charity collectors follow them in lol.

hard to appear generous lol.

i pay my zakat and stuff although i suppose they require it to the penny so thats always a worry.

money corrupts i suppose..

although i aint ever tried to haggle.

Snel
10-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Because it's about obeying Allah. Islam is not comparable to Christianity. While the muslim believes the Quran to be the word of God (all of it) and that it was preserved since the time of the prophet Mohammad, the Christian has none of that. The Bible exists today in thousands of different versions, it is not considered to be the complete word of Jesus (except by ignorant Christians). A verse (in John I believe) that spoke of the core of the Christian belief, the trinity, clearest in all of the Bible, was taken out from the Revised Standard Version as a fabrication. You can probably see where I'm going with this: They do not have a solid foundation like we do. Therefore it only makes sense for them to not be religious.

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliLwq0pEEI

Allah deserves to be obeyed, and how do we obey him? By following what he says and what his prophet has said. Your parents made mistakes and they should repent. You're obviously not supposed to follow in their footsteps when it comes to the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing as having a sexual relationship like that is a major sin.

There are many educated muslims that have produced video material online, I really do recommend you check them out. Names I know of are: Ahmad Deedat (counters Christianity), Hamza Tzortzis (counters Atheism), Abdul Raheem Green.

Not all people who supposedly preach about Islam are good though, if you have the correct understanding of the basics of Islam (for example that Allah is one, what is considered shirk, that Allah is the only one who deserves to be worshipped) you will be able to eventually differentiate between the good and the bad, that is when you have enough knowledge about Islam and about the people in question.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Islam means to submit. And that includes Judaism and Christianity and muslims too. Because the bible torah and Quran teach followers to submit to GOD.... So like I said islam is the only faith but it encompasses all believers. Otherwise you're contradicting yourself and doing exactly what you said not to do. Making up interpretations. And tread lightly there because it's not a forgivable sin to make up the word of the Quran. I wouldn't do it if I were you js.

I think this is where terrorism starts. When you start to follow humans like so-called scholars. They aren't GOD. And that doesn't even make sense as nothing does that's made up jargon from humans... Just saying. Because if that were true how can we marry what is already passed us? Those Christians and jews who follow jesus and moses to completion are dead. The current Christians and jews are called people of the scripture and reffered as believing men and women muslims can only marry believing men and women.

If you want to submit to Islam then submit whole heartedly. You can't pick and choose or make up you own interpretations. The Quran is clear.

"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will NEVER be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he WILL BE one of the LOSERS." [3:85]

Scholars are in agreement in that, that refers to the jew and christians who followed their Prophets when their prophets came. It does not refer to today's christians and jews. The above verses make it clear, no other religion will be accepted.

Even if you can't read the transliteration words the referencing same as any other source. [ Chapter : page Number], that much is obvious.

Islamic knowledge is the Quran, the hadiths (recorded sayings of the Prophet) and the sunnah (living example of the Prophet). It is also what the first 4 righteous caliphs left behind in jurisprudence. There are contradicting hadiths because there are sound, weak and fabricated hadiths. They all have been identified as such as we as Muslims know which ones to take our knowledge from.

For you to say you follow the Quran only is a misguidance on your part. There is a sect called the al-Qur’aaniyyeen and they are who you belong to right now, not the right Islam.

You can read about them here:

Yeah I would never learn Arabic sorry. But it's not my culture not my race and has nothing to do with my salvation. Think realistically. If you really believe you'll go to hell for not speaking Arabic you're not reading the Quran properly at last it seems to me.

No you are not listening to the Quran when you put the hadith and Sunnah at the same level. As it says the Quran is the only scripture that will be revealed and is sufficient. There is no need to add. The hadith also smears the prophet for political gain and it says things contrary to the Quran like about dogs being unclean animals. And they actually are permitted to hunt food for owner authorized by the Quran. Also the Sunnah holds prophet Muhammad in higher esteem than other prophets. Which the Quran says specifically not to do.

I think you're reading too much of the hadiths and sunnahs to really pay attention to what the Quran actually says. Because if you read it it clearly says there is no scripture like the Quran. And no9 scripture to be created after it. The more scriptures you get the more problems you get.

And imo the hadiths and Sunnah are just hearsay from humans with whatever intention idk or care for that matter. It's not from GOD.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:14 AM
oh yeah and that's another thing there are no sects of islam. At least that's what the Quran says. Again either you believe in the Quran or you don't. You can't also believe in another scripture. As it specifically not to do so.

You can read about them here:

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:24 AM
If you believe that you are muslim then you are part of the Prophet's unmah which makes you one of those women. It says ALL women not just his wives or middle eastern women. Women all over the world wear abaya/hijab because they are muslims. I'm a black woman from America and I have not adopted anyone else's culture. Its your personal choice but right now you are lying to yourself because wearing hijab may inconvenience you but I know you have enough common sense to know the prophet did not excuse women outside the middle east from hijab and abaya. Does it say wear it until it goes out of style? Does it say wear it unless you are from another country? I just follow Quran and Sunah. Being a good muslim means following Sunnah as well as Quran. Sunnah is not the personal beliefs of others but the teachings of the prophet. Right now you are in a state of ignorance and I urge you to actually do research because everything you have said so far is wrong. The worst state you can be in is a state of ignorance. All muslims be it men, women , and children are required to seek knowledge.
No I've had the whole Quran read and it doesn't say that. It says you have to dress modestly. It suggests women who wear veils to cover themselves like any other women for that matter. And it actually says as I remember his women. But that aside it's not a requirement. It's knowledge that women of Muhammad's time and location wore this attire may have been before he became muslim. Which to me means it's not apart of being muslim. That's just my opinion. I don't believe you need a specific attire to be a good muslim any more than a specific language. A long shirt and long slacks serves the same purpose of an abaya.

And the Quran teaches not follow any scripture after it. And that it is sufficient in itself. I follow the teachings of the Quran therefore I don't follow anything else for those reasons. Otherwise I wouldn't follow the Quran. Because it says specifically not to follow any other scripture. I would never cherry pick because to me that would mean I'm not muslim. That's just how I believe.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:33 AM
The hadith was made after the Quran and the Quran says don't follow any scripture after the Quran so I can't listen to it on a religious level. But I do agree with the Quran and I know I need improvements.

I am skeptical of reading the hadith or Sunnah because of what I've heard. My mom had to put the Sunnah down because it was offending her about the prophet speaking of him in ways she didn't agree. He was a human afterall. He was a prophet of GOD like Jesus and Moses. I don't make distinction. But I don't praise him. And she said she saw that it was speaking of him that way. And the hadith I've heard all sorts of really bad things. Like in favor of transsexuality and like against dogs and saying stuff against the prophet basically speaking well of a really terrible sin and saying he did it when I think it's highly unlikely as the Quran speaks in opposition to all of that. And like the perspective of jews and Christians is really mean in the hadith from the quotes. I just don't think I'd agree with it because I have an ideology similar to the Quran.

Hey, I completely understand. While we all agree on the validity of the Quran, it can very well be questioned if any of the hadiths are reliable. I can see the problems that arise in the fact that they weren't immediately published after the death of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

I don't remember where I saw this, but somewhere someone said that if a hadith seems to match up with what the Quran says, then follow it. If not, then ignore the hadith. That's honestly how I handle it, not because I'm questioning the validity of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), but because I'm questioning the validity of other people's memories and motives.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:34 AM
I feel bad sometimes because I do give but not enough. I don't give the excess like I should because I'm scared I'll need it later. Instead of having faith.

format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
i have a hard time giving to charity collectors..

sometimes i wait for hours for customers and then charity collectors follow them in lol.

hard to appear generous lol.

i pay my zakat and stuff although i suppose they require it to the penny so thats always a worry.

money corrupts i suppose..

although i aint ever tried to haggle.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:40 AM
Yeah I don't follow people but I do follow the Quran. It's not just that GOD deserves to be worshipped but also that I forever owe it because I mean I would be nothing without him. So I agree with you. Like I said there's no need to convince me I know it's just more thought into action then there's life and stuff gets all busy. So yeah....

format_quote Originally Posted by Snel
Because it's about obeying Allah. Islam is not comparable to Christianity. While the muslim believes the Quran to be the word of God (all of it) and that it was preserved since the time of the prophet Mohammad, the Christian has none of that. The Bible exists today in thousands of different versions, it is not considered to be the complete word of Jesus (except by ignorant Christians). A verse (in John I believe) that spoke of the core of the Christian belief, the trinity, clearest in all of the Bible, was taken out from the Revised Standard Version as a fabrication. You can probably see where I'm going with this: They do not have a solid foundation like we do. Therefore it only makes sense for them to not be religious.

Reference:

Allah deserves to be obeyed, and how do we obey him? By following what he says and what his prophet has said. Your parents made mistakes and they should repent. You're obviously not supposed to follow in their footsteps when it comes to the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing as having a sexual relationship like that is a major sin.

There are many educated muslims that have produced video material online, I really do recommend you check them out. Names I know of are: Ahmad Deedat (counters Christianity), Hamza Tzortzis (counters Atheism), Abdul Raheem Green.

Not all people who supposedly preach about Islam are good though, if you have the correct understanding of the basics of Islam (for example that Allah is one, what is considered shirk, that Allah is the only one who deserves to be worshipped) you will be able to eventually differentiate between the good and the bad, that is when you have enough knowledge about Islam and about the people in question.

sister_39738
10-08-2016, 02:43 AM
That's the thing though. I'm not a cultural muslim. I have history in America since the slave trade for the most part. I consider myself apart of the muslim faith as I believe in GOD the way the Quran teaches to. And I think it's the only religious text that actually is true. Just like may Christians do. There are religious christians but not all are some believe in the bible and are christians due to beliefs.

But then there are many reasons I have thought to not do something sinful because I feel like maybe GOD is protecting me from it all this time that I should probably just go with it. That's why I don't drink plus my dad was a drunk so I know like it's not feasible for me. Same with men and sex I don't because after all this time I think maybe it's GOD telling me I shouldn't so I don't. I don't do any major sins for those reasons. And I just don't find the time to pray or fast. It's more with fasting I don't get up early enough to start fasting. Then praying is the same. I get up when I can't pray and got to sleep when I can't pray so I'm left with not much time really.
Did you know that most slaves brought from Africa came from Islamic countries? That means your ancestors may have been muslim. Many black people don't know this because so much of our history has been hidden or lost. I understand that black people have our own culture but that doesn't have to contradict islam unless its something that goes against it like eating pork.

ma23
10-08-2016, 02:51 AM
Did you know that most slaves brought from Africa came from Islamic countries? That means your ancestors may have been muslim. Many black people don't know this because so much of our history has been hidden or lost. I understand that black people have our own culture but that doesn't have to contradict islam unless its something that goes against it like eating pork.
look up tuaregs hausa and shuwa arabs. They are all muslim for the most part. I'm very aware my family's been muslim for a while. But none of my family is middle eastern they were northern Africans. I actually really appreciate this fact that I have family with sense and weren't dumb enough to be any other faith. I just don't equate the middle east with islam. I'm not middle eastern. I am a Muslim. And proud of that at that.

But yeah I don't think being a black American goes against being muslim I just experience that a lot. That appearing to dress in western attire etc... To mean I don't seem so "culturally muslim" and plus my own mistakes.

sister_39738
10-08-2016, 03:19 AM
look up tuaregs hausa and shuwa arabs. They are all muslim for the most part. I'm very aware my family's been muslim for a while. But none of my family is middle eastern they were northern Africans. I actually really appreciate this fact that I have family with sense and weren't dumb enough to be any other faith. I just don't equate the middle east with islam. I'm not middle eastern. I am a Muslim. And proud of that at that.

But yeah I don't think being a black American goes against being muslim I just experience that a lot. That appearing to dress in western attire etc... To mean I don't seem so "culturally muslim" and plus my own mistakes.
You seem to be under the belief that Islamic country means middle eastern, it does not. Islam is a global religion. Many countries in Africa have been Islamic for centuries. Secondly the slaves brought over were forced to adhere to the teachings of Christianity, they didn't do it because they were stupid. They did it so they wouldn't get beaten or starved. Another note, you don't have to adopt the cultural customs outside of Islam.

talibilm
10-08-2016, 06:14 AM
:sl:

The term Muslim means willingly submitting to the will of the Creator as seen in the below verse

10:90 ''And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Fir'aun (Pharaoh) with his hosts followed them in oppression and enmity, till when drowning overtook him, he said: "I believe that La ilaha illa (Huwa): (none has the right to be worshipped but) He," in Whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am one of the Muslims (those who submit to Allah's Will)."

So We have to live by what we call ourselves. A bottle with sticker of 'honey' ought to contain honey than something else. A muslim is promised the Priceless Paradise after our death , if you believe and also success in this world too. Success is always measured by money but that not the same with Islam.

Snel
10-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah I don't follow people
Neither do I. ;)

Insaanah
10-08-2016, 03:40 PM
The hadith was made after the Quran and the Quran says don't follow any scripture after the Quran so I can't listen to it on a religious level
This is a gross misunderstanding. The authentic hadeeth is essential for a proper understanding of Islam.

I am skeptical of reading the hadith or Sunnah because of what I've heard. My mom had to put the Sunnah down
The Qur'an, in fact, contrary to what you've said, mandates that we follow the sunnah of the prophet :saws:

Please read this thread from the linked post onwards. It may be a bit long (eight posts), but perhaps read a post a day. You owe it yourself.

http://www.islamicboard.com/hadith/1...ml#post2845588

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.