/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help to learn urdu please

smaria
10-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Assalam walikum. I'm a new revert without Arabic or urdu knowledge. I would like to learn basic knowledge of urdu. Please guide me. Jazak allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
10-17-2016, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smaria
Assalam walikum. I'm a new revert without Arabic or urdu knowledge. I would like to learn basic knowledge of urdu. Please guide me. Jazak allah
Wa alaykum assalam,

Is there a specific reason you want to learn Urdu first? Unless you're from an Urdu-speaking family, it's not as necessary to learn it as to learn Arabic.

Arabic is the language of the Qur'an and should be our primary focus - although it does need a little effort!

aaj
10-17-2016, 03:01 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

as sister noraina said, is there a reason you would like to learn urdu first?

Urdu is known as a sister language of arabic because of so many similarities. I think it's a good language to learn and should be taught as a 2nd language in islamic schools. Unless you are from urdu speaking background or have a partner or family member or living in a heavily populated urdu speaking community, I think arabic may be a better first choice.

زهراء
10-17-2016, 03:48 PM
و علیکم السلام

I agree with the advice given. First learn Arabic. It will help you to recite Qur'aan and understand it step-by-step too. Also, later on when you have learned Arabic, it will be very easy to learn Urdu.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
smaria
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Assalam walikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhu. Thank you for advices. I'm speaking with a brother he's from Pakistan. His parents are against us to get married as I don't belong to community. They will come over in uk soon insha allah. And they will want to meet me. I was thinking as a sign of respect I want to be able to task basic questions and answer. I know you might not agree with my way, and please feel free to advice me . Allah swt help me to find this site with a reason.

skypilot
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
I concur with everything said so far. Arabic should be the primary focus.

anatolian
10-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Assalam walikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhu. Thank you for advices. I'm speaking with a brother he's from Pakistan. His parents are against us to get married as I don't belong to community. They will come over in uk soon insha allah. And they will want to meet me. I was thinking as a sign of respect I want to be able to task basic questions and answer. I know you might not agree with my way, and please feel free to advice me . Allah swt help me to find this site with a reason.
Salam. A very intelligent way. Well done :)

skypilot
10-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Oops, I didn't see that post.

aaj
10-17-2016, 07:26 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

What you are trying to do you understandable. You can learn some basic hi/hello phrases and that should suffice. More importantly, you should have a wali as that will be of bigger help. If you do not have a wali being a convert, then if you have a pakistani female friend then it would be good to have her with you. This way you won't miss out on what they say in their language and your friend can fill you in of her impression of them based on their interactions and observation.

Sentences wise, you can pick out the relevant ones from below or you can ask us if there's some specific you would like to say.

http://users.skynet.be/hugocoolens/urdu/urdusent1.html

http://www.linguanaut.com/english_urdu.htm

skypilot
10-17-2016, 08:20 PM
To be honest I think sometimes it's better not to know what they're saying

noraina
10-17-2016, 09:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with that, ukhti, inshaAllah they'll appreciate that. And if you haven't already you could get someone you trust to be with you when you meet them, so they can speak on your behalf and also give you a second opinion. :)

Urdu isn't so hard to learn. Urdu has many loanwords from Arabic - so an understanding in one will give you a good foundation in the other.

May Allah swt give you success in both this world and the next.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-17-2016, 09:24 PM
One of my Asaatidhah (teachers) used to say that learning Urdu is like learning to ride a bicycle, and learning Arabic is like learning to fly a plane.

anatolian
10-17-2016, 09:31 PM
And learning Turkish is like landing on Moon.. ;D

azc
01-13-2017, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
There is nothing wrong with that, ukhti, inshaAllah they'll appreciate that. And if you haven't already you could get someone you trust to be with you when you meet them, so they can speak on your behalf and also give you a second opinion. :) Urdu isn't so hard to learn. Urdu has many loanwords from Arabic - so an understanding in one will give you a good foundation in the other. May Allah swt give you success in both this world and the next.
Urdu banisbat arabi ke asan he lekin har shakhs nahi seekh sakhta

azc
01-13-2017, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
One of my Asaatidhah (teachers) used to say that learning Urdu is like learning to ride a bicycle, and learning Arabic is like learning to fly a plane.
esa unhone kyon kaha..?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.