PDA

View Full Version : Finland: Northern Lights



sister herb
10-18-2016, 03:06 PM


You are welcome.

(P.S. We have also cookies here.)
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zeal
10-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Omdz subhanallah those green lights are soo cool.. I wanna go Finland
Reply

anatolian
10-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb

You are welcome.
Can you see these lights with naked eyes or is it only captured by the camera?
Reply

Little_Lion
10-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Insha'Allah I will visit Finland and the rest of Scandinavia one day. I have good friends in Sweden, have been fascinated with Norway since I was a kid (blame the musical group a-ha), and used to take a class on Danish culture when I was in elementary school.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Akhi_Umar
10-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Subhan'Allah.

Beautiful. Words cannot describe it.

I was looking at some pictures of different galaxies, solar systems and planets. Subhan'Allah I don't think I've ever seen something more stunning. Left me in awe of Allah SWT and his creation.

We can't even begin to comprehend the beauty of Jannah.

May Allah grant us all a place in Jannatul Firdaus, Ameen.
Reply

noraina
10-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Absolutely beyond stunning ma'sha'Allah.

Even better than cookies ;).
Reply

hisnameiszzz
10-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Sister Herb, you are so lucky. I've seen the aurora borealis on a documentary once and have always wanted to see it in person. One day, I will.

Are you able to look at it when it happens?
Reply

sister herb
10-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by anatolian
Can you see these lights with naked eyes or is it only captured by the camera?
They are visible with naked eyes and look just same like when filming them. This film is captured as the time-laps technic, so in the nature they are slower. It usually looks like the wavy flames on the sky. At the northern parts of the Finland they are stronger, here is south (where I live) they are quite rare and usually much more pale. Occasionally they might be strong here too.
Reply

sister herb
10-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Sister Herb, you are so lucky. I've seen the aurora borealis on a documentary once and have always wanted to see it in person. One day, I will.

Are you able to look at it when it happens?
Yes. Unfortunately they are quite pale and rare here in south Finland. At the north Finland they are more common and stronger.
Reply

bilal_abdullah
12-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Finland is great to mu'min in winter because we have short days during winter so it's easy to fast and it's cold here so you don't sweat :)
Reply

anatolian
12-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by bilal_abdullah
Finland is great to mu'min in winter because we have short days during winter so it's easy to fast and it's cold here so you don't sweat :)
Another Muslim Finlander in IB Mashallah :)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
12-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Time to pack my bags! :outta:
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 02:43 PM
yeah, wait til the summer is here and ramadhan too, then you'll be packing again lol. 21 hour fasts are LONG.

Scimi
Reply

sister herb
12-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
yeah, wait til the summer is here and ramadhan too, then you'll be packing again lol. 21 hour fasts are LONG.

Scimi
But wait when ramadan is at the winter - then day takes only 5 to 6 hours, at the north even less. :shade:
Reply

azc
12-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for this informative thread
Reply

Scimitar
12-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
But wait when ramadan is at the winter - then day takes only 5 to 6 hours, at the north even less. :shade:
extremities... I did joke back in the day how I'd love to do ramadhan in a nation which saw very little daylight lol. But then again, I'm not that far from Finland so when you have short days, so do we - just not as short.

Scimi
Reply

sister herb
12-12-2016, 03:46 PM
If you stay in Inari where that video was from, there isn´t daylight at all at this time of the year. The polar night is about 50 days. However, at the mid summer there isn´t nights at all and this makes fasting quite impossible if using the local times. The polar day is normally for 74 days.

Naturally Muslims whose live so up north can´t use the local times for the fasting.
Reply

anatolian
12-12-2016, 03:50 PM
There is an easiness with every hardship. It is too cold in the north in winter but the day is too short and the day too long in summer but the weather is warmy. It is vice versa for the south. :)
Reply

Scimitar
12-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
If you stay in Inari where that video was from, there isn´t daylight at all at this time of the year. The polar night is about 50 days. However, at the mid summer there isn´t nights at all and this makes fasting quite impossible if using the local times. The polar day is normally for 74 days.

Naturally Muslims whose live so up north can´t use the local times for the fasting.
Ya know, I did wonder about the way daylight (and night time) is perpetual for extremely long periods of time in the polar regions of our planet. But I never wondered how that would affect Muslims in Ramadhan...

Mute the music, and watch this:



Looks like something out of a sci fi fantasy novelette. Muslim friendly? Maybe the people are, but the weather deffo aint lol

Scimi
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Assalamu alaikum

Hopefully I'll be coming to Finland end Dec. Which month does the northern lights occur in?

Gonna be staying in airbnb for a few days at Tampere till I get school accomodation on Jan.

Around what time does the khutbah start on Fridays? Are there many places in Tmp that people go to for congregational prayers?

Also what are the must see places there? I'm gonna be staying there for quite a bit.
Reply

sister herb
09-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Salam alaykum

About the northern lights; Tampere is quite south so the northern light are usually quite pale but if you are lucky you can see them sometimes. Dark winter nights are the best times. You can find more info from: http://www.tampereenursa.fi/?page=%7...8487D447213%7D (click --Briefly in English... )

In Tampere is one mosque (I posted before it´s contanct info to you):

Yliopistonkatu 60 A,
33100 TAMPERE
+358 50 323 5594
info(at)islamtampere.com

They are also in Facebook (but unfortunately only by Finnish):

https://www.facebook.com/Tampereen-i...4097486070687/

From them you can ask more info about times and places where to pray.

From the official site of city of Tampere you can find info where to go and visit but I am sure you will get information also from the university about the city.

https://www.tampere.fi/en/index.html

As I know, every people whose visit in there, like to visit in the observation tower called Näsinneula.

When you travel, remember that winters are cold with a lot of snow (well, mostly). Be sure you have warm clothes with you. Warm wool socks are the must. Hyvää matkaa ja tervetuloa. (Have a nice travel and welcome.)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
Salam alaykum

About the northern lights; Tampere is quite south so the northern light are usually quite pale but if you are lucky you can see them sometimes. Dark winter nights are the best times. You can find more info from: http://www.tampereenursa.fi/?page=%7...8487D447213%7D (click --Briefly in English... )

In Tampere is one mosque (I posted before it´s contanct info to you):

Yliopistonkatu 60 A,
33100 TAMPERE
+358 50 323 5594
info(at)islamtampere.com

They are also in Facebook (but unfortunately only by Finnish):

https://www.facebook.com/Tampereen-i...4097486070687/

From them you can ask more info about times and places where to pray.

From the official site of city of Tampere you can find info where to go and visit but I am sure you will get information also from the university about the city.

https://www.tampere.fi/en/index.html

As I know, every people whose visit in there, like to visit in the observation tower called Näsinneula.

When you travel, remember that winters are cold with a lot of snow (well, mostly). Be sure you have warm clothes with you. Warm wool socks are the must. Hyvää matkaa ja tervetuloa. (Have a nice travel and welcome.)

Thank you.

The wool socks is a good tip! Never experienced winter before.

Attachment 6270

How is the travelling around the city like?
Reply

sister herb
09-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Traveling by city bus is cheap and easy. More info from:

http://www.opiskelijantampere.fi/en/public-transport-2/

You´ll get more info from your university about how to get student´s card and student´s certificates.
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
Traveling by city bus is cheap and easy. More info from:

http://www.opiskelijantampere.fi/en/public-transport-2/

You´ll get more info from your university about how to get student´s card and student´s certificates.
Thank you.
My uni is in TMP but the flight lands in Helsinki.
I searched on the onnibus for travel from HEL to TMP.

Under HEL, there's many locations. Which one should I choose which is closest to the airport?
I know the TMP uni is in Hervanta.

Thanks!

Attachment 6271
Reply

sister herb
09-28-2017, 12:56 PM
At the first you have to travel from the Helsinki airport to Helsinki (Kamppi) central bus station (It is a center of the city.) by bus and from that central bus station you can travel to Tampere.

Finnair City Bus goes every 10 minutes to the Central Railways Station which is not far from the Kamppi Bus Station.

https://www.pohjolanliikenne.fi/cs/pl/en/fcb_timetable

I think that brother @Futuwwa might know better about those bus routes than I. It´s decades ago when I at the last times have traveled by bus in Helsinki. :embarrass
Reply

Grandad
09-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
If you stay in Inari where that video was from, there isn´t daylight at all at this time of the year. The polar night is about 50 days. However, at the mid summer there isn´t nights at all and this makes fasting quite impossible if using the local times. The polar day is normally for 74 days.

Naturally Muslims whose live so up north can´t use the local times for the fasting.
Went to the very north of Norway two winters ago. On this particular day it was 40 below. Local tour guide (a lass) said: 'We love it when the spring comes. That's when we unwrap the kids to see who they belong to!'
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-29-2017, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by sister herb
At the first you have to travel from the Helsinki airport to Helsinki (Kamppi) central bus station (It is a center of the city.) by bus and from that central bus station you can travel to Tampere.

Finnair City Bus goes every 10 minutes to the Central Railways Station which is not far from the Kamppi Bus Station.

https://www.pohjolanliikenne.fi/cs/pl/en/fcb_timetable

I think that brother @Futuwwa might know better about those bus routes than I. It´s decades ago when I at the last times have traveled by bus in Helsinki. :embarrass

Ok thank you!
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by sister herb
At the first you have to travel from the Helsinki airport to Helsinki (Kamppi) central bus station (It is a center of the city.) by bus and from that central bus station you can travel to Tampere.

Finnair City Bus goes every 10 minutes to the Central Railways Station which is not far from the Kamppi Bus Station.

https://www.pohjolanliikenne.fi/cs/pl/en/fcb_timetable

I think that brother @Futuwwa might know better about those bus routes than I. It´s decades ago when I at the last times have traveled by bus in Helsinki. :embarrass
Gonna bother you with another question :hiding:

Is it easy to find halal frozen foods in supermarkets? Is there a logo saying the product is halal or kosher like they have in other countries?
Reply

sister herb
09-30-2017, 08:23 AM
From normal supermarkets you don´t find much halal products but you can check nearest markets and ask if they have halal meat, frozen or fresh. And yes, halal products have logo to tell they are halal. In Tampere is 2 special markets where you can find halal foods (Alanya Market, Puutarhakatu 14 and East Asian Mart, Tullikatu 6). You can also contact to mosque and ask if someone can help you to find suitable foods. Muslims in Tampere are very helpful. ;)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
09-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks again! Sorry for not creating a separate thread and for hijacking your one :peace:
Reply

sister herb
09-30-2017, 06:53 PM
No problem about hijacking. I am happy if I can help you, even a little. :statisfie May Allah makes your stay in here easy.
Reply

Mustafa16
10-01-2017, 01:02 AM
wow! that's amazing and beautiful! thanks for the share @sister herb !
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
10-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by sister herb
No problem about hijacking. I am happy if I can help you, even a little. :statisfie May Allah makes your stay in here easy.
Ameen, Jazakallah khair:)
Reply

sister herb
10-01-2017, 10:12 AM
What came to my mind; as you might need photos about yourself to the student cards, it may be easier to you if you have them already before you leave your home. I mean similar photos which are needed for the passports.
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
10-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
What came to my mind; as you might need photos about yourself to the student cards, it may be easier to you if you have them already before you leave your home. I mean similar photos which are needed for the passports.
Great tip! Might also be handy when creating a bank acc / sim card
Reply

sister herb
10-13-2017, 08:06 PM
http://aurorasnow.fmi.fi/public_service/

Auroras Now! is a space weather service maintaining by Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) to help watching auroras in Finland.
The service includes auroral monitoring with the all-sky cameras and magnetic field alarm systems for Northern and Southern Finland separately.
Reply

Supernova
10-13-2017, 08:47 PM
I am definitely living in the wrong country.
That is so beautiful.
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
10-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

Is anyone living in tampere currently? I googled mosques in tampere and one mosque showed up which is very near to where I'll be staying. I am so happy. But I can't find any details about the mosque except for it's location. Can anyone verify if it exists?

Jazakallah Khair

Hervanta Mosque


Address: Opettajanraitti 4, 33720 Tampere, Finland

Attachment 6287

I'm emailing the islam tampere society in the top post as well.


Update: They mentioned there's a mosque there. Alhamdulillah

Reply

Cptn._.Mario
11-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by sister herb
From normal supermarkets you don´t find much halal products but you can check nearest markets and ask if they have halal meat, frozen or fresh. And yes, halal products have logo to tell they are halal. In Tampere is 2 special markets where you can find halal foods (Alanya Market, Puutarhakatu 14 and East Asian Mart, Tullikatu 6). You can also contact to mosque and ask if someone can help you to find suitable foods. Muslims in Tampere are very helpful. ;)
Assalamu alaikum,

do you have any pictures of the halal logos? I can't seem to find it in google. thanks again!!
Reply

sister herb
11-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Majority of halal products you find from shops are imported so they might be what ever logos. In Finland seems to be at the least one Finnish food producer which has halal products (but I don´t know how widely they sell them).

For example halal salami:



(producer: Kylmänen Food Oy)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
11-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
Majority of halal products you find from shops are imported so they might be what ever logos. In Finland seems to be at the least one Finnish food producer which has halal products (but I don´t know how widely they sell them).

For example halal salami:



(producer: Kylmänen Food Oy)
Oh I see, planning on checking out the 2 supermarkets you mentioned previously. Is the logo above the arabic halal word? The oval shape
Reply

sister herb
11-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I am not sure as the logo is so small but under of that logo is Arabic word "halal".
Reply

sister herb
11-04-2017, 01:30 PM
When you go to buy food, with products have list of ingredients by Finnish and Swedish (as they are official languages in here) but also they may be by English. If there isn´t list by English, here is some information you should notice:

Gelatin is by Finnish as liivate. It´s mostly made by pork in Finland.

If some food includes animal fats, producers don´t have to tell from which animal it comes so it also can be from pork (eläinrasva or eläinrasvat by Finnish).

Pigged parts of the pork are not always referred to as the word "sika" or "sianliha" or "porsas" or "porsaanliha" (sika = pig, porsas = piglet, pork). Therefore, it may be good to know what names are used. They include for example: kassler, kotletti, kinkku, potka. Also "ihra", "silava", "läski" and "kamara" are normally from pork.

If in some product has alcohol as ingredient, then there has to be information about it. In some cases there also may be just information as what kind of alcohol there is like punaviini, konjakki, arrakki, punssi etc.

Alcohol can sometimes be used in small quantities to emphasize, for example, certain flavoring substances before they are added to the food without it being reported in the list of ingredients.

Same also if there is blood, there has to be information about it (veri by Finnish, also sometimes "sianveri" or "sianverta" = pork blood).

About E codes, there are some Finnish food producers whose have informed they use mostly herbal additives in their products (Fazer, Valio, Ingman). Also, if you for example like ice cream, then ice creams from those companies should to be halal.

Hopely that helped you a little. ;)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
11-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
When you go to buy food, with products have list of ingredients by Finnish and Swedish (as they are official languages in here) but also they may be by English. If there isn´t list by English, here is some information you should notice:

Gelatin is by Finnish as liivate. It´s mostly made by pork in Finland.

If some food includes animal fats, producers don´t have to tell from which animal it comes so it also can be from pork (eläinrasva or eläinrasvat by Finnish).

Pigged parts of the pork are not always referred to as the word "sika" or "sianliha" or "porsas" or "porsaanliha" (sika = pig, porsas = piglet, pork). Therefore, it may be good to know what names are used. They include for example: kassler, kotletti, kinkku, potka. Also "ihra", "silava", "läski" and "kamara" are normally from pork.

If in some product has alcohol as ingredient, then there has to be information about it. In some cases there also may be just information as what kind of alcohol there is like punaviini, konjakki, arrakki, punssi etc.

Alcohol can sometimes be used in small quantities to emphasize, for example, certain flavoring substances before they are added to the food without it being reported in the list of ingredients.

Same also if there is blood, there has to be information about it (veri by Finnish, also sometimes "sianveri" or "sianverta" = pork blood).

About E codes, there are some Finnish food producers whose have informed they use mostly herbal additives in their products (Fazer, Valio, Ingman). Also, if you for example like ice cream, then ice creams from those companies should to be halal.

Hopely that helped you a little. ;)
That helps a lot! thanks, I think people will be staring at me when I check out simple items like chocolate for 5 mins reading and checking the ingredients lol
Reply

sister herb
11-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Finland wildlife

Reply

anatolian
11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
It must be a very peaceful country with only 5 million people on 338.424 km² :)
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
12-31-2017, 04:20 AM
Gonna board for Helsinki soon!
Reply

sister herb
12-31-2017, 08:59 AM
You are welcome!

Notice the weather forecasts:

Tampere: http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/weather/tampere

Remember, the weather is the most common and popular matter of talking in Finland. If you meet new person and start conversation with mention something about weather like "It has been quite chilly here" or "I like when it´s snowing/raining/shining", people feel they can continue talking easily. That´s maybe because everyone can have some neutral opinion about the weather. Finnish people are quite shy when they meet new people and it´s hard to find something sensible to say. Plus they may afraid their English isn´t good and you laugh to their language.
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
12-31-2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the tips, gonna leave hel to tmp soon. 1°c feels like having a mentos and water in your mouth 24/7. Coming from a person who never expetienced cold weather before. Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Rarely do they write the ingredients in english for the foods sold at airport.
Reply

sister herb
12-31-2017, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately dark comes here so soon that you might see only darkness during the travel. There might not be much snow in Helsinki region but in Tampere - yep some.

You can check weather in the main roads (this goes to Tampere region): http://www.kelikamerat.info/kelikamerat-tampere
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
12-31-2017, 06:43 PM
Reached my apartment safely. Jazakallah khair.
Reply

*charisma*
12-31-2017, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario
Reached my apartment safely. Jazakallah khair.
Alhemdulilah you reached there safely. And I must know..how's the cold? :D
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-01-2018, 11:37 AM
As a person who never experienced snow before and has summer all year round at hometown, it was a very pleasant change. The first feeling of cold weather i got was when i got down the flight and made the short walk to the airport.

The feeling was like having mentos and water in your mouth 24/7 kind of feeling.

Also the smoke coming out of the mouth is so cool. I met another stydent from hungary and she said its very normal. But so many first experiences for me. Alhamdulillah

Subsequently my fingers and ears started to freeze. Haha. I would take this over the hot weather im accustomed to. I see others not wearing gloves and ear muffs, theyre used to it i guess. But i still need it :p
Reply

sister herb
01-01-2018, 12:18 PM
It´s good to protect your fingers and ears from cold and also remember that wind increases coldness rapidly. Other thing is icy roads. They are common problem at the winters when weather may change from cold to wet and back to cold. Many people use different kind of slipping barriers (not sure what´s by English, by Finnish it´s liukueste ). You can find from them many markets as well from the shoe stores and I really recommend to try them. Prices are from about 10 euros to more but those cheapest too are very good.

https://www.islamicboard.com/images/.../OSVNNbq-1.jpg
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info, ill look out for it in the shops. My boots do get slippery
Reply

anatolian
01-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
It´s good to protect your fingers and ears from cold and also remember that wind increases coldness rapidly. Other thing is icy roads. They are common problem at the winters when weather may change from cold to wet and back to cold. Many people use different kind of slipping barriers (not sure what´s by English, by Finnish it´s liukueste ). You can find from them many markets as well from the shoe stores and I really recommend to try them. Prices are from about 10 euros to more but those cheapest too are very good.

https://www.islamicboard.com/images/.../OSVNNbq-1.jpg
Thats a perfect invention. We too have ice on roads after extreme snowing in some particular regions in Turkey sometimes but I have never met such a thing here before .
Reply

*charisma*
01-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario
Also the smoke coming out of the mouth is so cool. I met another stydent from hungary and she said its very normal. But so many first experiences for me. Alhamdulillah
As kids we'd pretend to be smoking ;D

I'm glad you're having a great experience there. You will get used to the cold. Give it about a week or two :D and don't be surprised if you get ill during that time, but inshallah you won't :p Make sure you keep your hands clean..I have a habit of washing my hands every time I return home because people are sneezing and coughing and touching everything that you touch lol.
Reply

sister herb
01-02-2018, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by *charisma*
As kids we'd pretend to be smoking ;D
I remember this... :embarrass
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-02-2018, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by *charisma*
As kids we'd pretend to be smoking ;D

I'm glad you're having a great experience there. You will get used to the cold. Give it about a week or two :D and don't be surprised if you get ill during that time, but inshallah you won't :p Make sure you keep your hands clean..I have a habit of washing my hands every time I return home because people are sneezing and coughing and touching everything that you touch lol.
Hahaha im doing it right now . Hard to get the snoke on camera though
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-02-2018, 07:42 PM
some issues i face which i think is normal for the weather. let me know what u think

blood drying up in the nose.
throat becoming very dry, dry cough. need to buy a kettle asap.
lips becoming black and texture feels different. already using lipbalm
blister in the back of my shoe area between ankles. Due to new show i guess. bought and applied the blister plaster.
Reply

sister herb
01-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario
some issues i face which i think is normal for the weather. let me know what u think

blood drying up in the nose.
throat becoming very dry, dry cough. need to buy a kettle asap.
lips becoming black and texture feels different. already using lipbalm
blister in the back of my shoe area between ankles. Due to new show i guess. bought and applied the blister plaster.
All those are normal reactions for new, colder climate. If your nose or throat feel dry (or different), note that breathed cold air absorbs moisture from the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. This cools and dries heavily in the airways' mucous membranes.

Temperatures are still quite mild, so your body has time to get used to new climate. But soon there might be a lot of colder.

Lipbalm is a good idea.
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-06-2018, 03:42 PM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...bI?usp=sharing

some photos. Loving my time here. (:
Reply

sister herb
01-06-2018, 03:54 PM
So you have found mosque, brothers, shops, snow and something to eat from there. That´s great.
Reply

sister herb
01-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Winter in Finland

Reply

Cptn._.Mario
01-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Went hiking, slipped and took a hard fall :embarrass
It was fun though ;D
Reply

sister herb
02-21-2018, 12:10 PM
The arctic weather has captured the whole Finland - it´s under the snow, ice and freezing air:



(Image has captured from the satelite.)

Now wool socks are more than necessary. :D
Reply

Grandad
02-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
The arctic weather has captured the whole Finland - it´s under the snow, ice and freezing air:



(Image has captured from the satelite.)

Now wool socks are more than necessary. :D
Only for wimps and young uns :shade:
Reply

Cptn._.Mario
03-23-2018, 07:38 AM
I saaaw it!!

Attachment 6387Attachment 6386
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
03-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario
Oh theyre beautiful subhanallah. You're blessed you got the chance to see them brother :)
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
03-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Grandad
Only for wimps and young uns :shade:
Only for wimps?? Pshhh no. Everyone needs thermals in that weather!
Reply

Grandad
03-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Only for wimps?? Pshhh no. Everyone needs thermals in that weather!
Nah.......Was in North Norway in early January....-42C. Easy peasy for an old rufty-tufty like me :shade:


Shhhhhh......don't breathe a word to anyone else: Boots; thermal socks; three layers of thermal long leg pants; thermal trousers; two layers of thermal long-sleeve tops; a jacket thingy; a full-on thermal jacket that weighed a tonne; balaclava all over head and half the face; fur lined cap with furry flaps; thermal gloves. No problemo!
Reply

anatolian
03-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Grandad
Nah.......Was in North Norway in early January....-42C. Easy peasy for an old rufty-tufty like me :shade:


Shhhhhh......don't breathe a word to anyone else: Boots; thermal socks; three layers of thermal long leg pants; thermal trousers; two layers of thermal long-sleeve tops; a jacket thingy; a full-on thermal jacket that weighed a tonne; balaclava all over head and half the face; fur lined cap with furry flaps; thermal gloves. No problemo!
Try Erzurum in Turkey next time :D

Attachment 6391
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
03-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Grandad
Nah.......Was in North Norway in early January....-42C. Easy peasy for an old rufty-tufty like me :shade:


Shhhhhh......don't breathe a word to anyone else: Boots; thermal socks; three layers of thermal long leg pants; thermal trousers; two layers of thermal long-sleeve tops; a jacket thingy; a full-on thermal jacket that weighed a tonne; balaclava all over head and half the face; fur lined cap with furry flaps; thermal gloves. No problemo!
Dont worry, your secret's safe here!
Reply

Grandad
03-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by anatolian
Try Erzurum in Turkey next time :D

Attachment 6391
Ouch!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Dont worry, your secret's safe here!
No doubt about it :omg:
Reply

sister herb
05-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Now winter and snow have gone and weather feels like summer again (+26 C yesterday). Time to check what this creature is doing:

The Saimaa Ringed Seals - only in Finland

Live Cam of Saimaa Ringed Seals:

https://luontolive.wwf.fi/norppalive/

Saimaa Ringed Seal, a Persistent Finn

The large-eyed Saimaa Ringed Seal (norppa by Finnish) is one of the world's most endangered and rare seals. This ice-loving seal can only be spotted in Lake Saimaa, where it became isolated from other seals at the end of the Ice Age.

The seal lives in the murky, labyrinthine waters of Lake Saimaa, where its only enemy is humans. Due to human activity, the seal population has decreased heavily during the 20th century. Only because of the persistent conservation measures, around 370–380 seals currently live in Lake Saimaa, but the species is still threatened by extinction. Today, the greatest threats to the seal population are by-catch mortality by fishing, climate change, a small and fragmented population, and disturbances during the breeding season.
The Saimaa Ringed Seal (Pusa hispida saimensis) is one of the few fresh-water seals. Due to the melting of the ice sheet and as the land uplift broke the connection to the Baltic Sea, the Saimaa Ringed Seal became isolated in Finland's largest lake 8,000 years ago. As it adapted to life in the murky waters of the labyrinthine Lake Saimaa, its brain and eyes grew larger than those of its near relatives. The Saimaa Ringed Seal is endemic to Lake Saimaa, and it is not found anywhere else.

The Saimaa Ringed Seal spends most of its life submerged. It can even sleep under water. In May, during the moulting season, seals enjoy lolling on lakeshore rocks and islets drying their fur. The seals usually have their favourite spots, where they can be spotted every spring. If you find a seal lying on a rock, do not approach the animal and scare it. With some luck, you may be able to observe its life for years.

After the moulting season, seals return to the water. In the July warmth, only an occasional seal head popping to the surface is evidence of the existence of this mythical being.

Seals do not Suffer from Decompression sickness

The Saimaa Ringed Seal is a skilled diver and adapted to life in the water. It navigates through the maze of islands and islets in Lake Saimaa with the help of its sight and whiskers, which it uses as sense organs. The seal's hypodermic fat layer functions as excellent insulating material in the water, and the large hind flippers enable quick moves when foraging.

The seal was the first professional fisher in Lake Saimaa. An adult seal eats about 1,000 kilos of fish a year. Its body mass, particularly the amount of fat, varies heavily, depending on the season. The seal is at its fattest in early winter before the lake freezes and at its thinnest in early summer, after the breeding and moulting seasons. When moulting, seals fast for most of the time.

The Saimaa Ringed Seal population is growing slowly. The seals only reach sexual maturity at the age of 4 to 6 years and usually give birth to one pup a year. Due to high mortality in the younger age group, particularly, the life span of a seal is often under ten years. With good luck, a seal may live to be over thirty.



More information:

http://www.nationalparks.fi/saimaa-ringed-seal
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!