/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is participating in the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligences permitted in Islam?

Koopa39
10-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I have two questions.

Is believing in the existence of technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences permitted in Islam?

Is trying to find and contact technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences (e.g. by working at the SETI Institute) permitted in Islam?

These “technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences” would not be like the aliens in all of the Hollywood movies, they would be far more powerful.

They would be technologically so far ahead of us that they could potentially do some or all of the following things (sorted from most likely to least likely):
- Completely blow up a planet or a star with one single bomb (e.g. antimatter bomb).
- Create stars and planets and perhaps also seed life on planets.
- Have armies of trillions of extremely intelligent and powerful robots.
- Engineer structures bigger than our planet (e.g. Jupiter brains) and bigger than our Sun (e.g. Dyson spheres, matrioshka brains).
- Have uploaded their consciousness/soul into machines (e.g. super-advanced computers, Jupiter brains, matrioshka brains) to achieve immortality.
- Teleport instantly anywhere in the universe by using wormholes.
- Travel in the past and change the timeline.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
10-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Allah is the "Lord of the Worlds" and we dont know what all those Worlds are..So it is possible that there are extraterrestrial beings somewhere in this universe. But I personally find it useless to spend all those money and effort to find them..What is the purpose? We can develop all those achievements ourselves if we avoid all useless money and human source losses..

Karl
10-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Maybe these aliens have already been here for ages and the primitive humans have called them gods, demons and devils etc. Allah would be the most superior extra terrestrial, in a scientific theoretical viewpoint. But that which is beyond our comprehension becomes supernatural.
I believe it is very dangerous to try and contact extra terrestrial life as intelligence has nothing to do with benevolence and more in probability they would be evil and destructive to Earth. As humans are destructive to each other (at war all the time) and destructive to other life on Earth, wouldn't superior more powerful beings be worse?
The scary thing, is that "scientists" throughout time have believed they know what they are doing and dabble in things beyond their comprehension of the outcome, like babies playing in a mine field.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 11:54 PM
No and NO... and NOOOOoooooOOOOoo

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
10-21-2016, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Koopa39
Assalamu Alaykum,

I have two questions.

Is believing in the existence of technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences permitted in Islam?
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

Allah says He created life and spread across the universe. So we know life is out there. As to how advanced that is? there is no proof so all you are believing is your own assumptions.

Is trying to find and contact technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences (e.g. by working at the SETI Institute) permitted in Islam?

These “technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences” would not be like the aliens in all of the Hollywood movies, they would be far more powerful.

They would be technologically so far ahead of us that they could potentially do some or all of the following things (sorted from most likely to least likely):
- Completely blow up a planet or a star with one single bomb (e.g. antimatter bomb).
- Engineer structures bigger than our planet (e.g. Jupiter brains) and bigger than our Sun (e.g. Dyson spheres, matrioshka brains).
- Have uploaded their consciousness/soul into machines (e.g. super-advanced computers, Jupiter brains, matrioshka brains) to achieve immortality.
Again this is nothing more then an assumption of what types of civilizations are out there. Yes, there could be someone as advanced out there. It is possible but then so is flying pigs, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean they don't' exist. See the logic in that?

I would lay off the sci fi for a bit if I were you. They may or may not exit and I highly doubt we'll make any contacts with them. A Muslim is better of spending his energy in something that benefit him in this duniya and his akhira.

format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Maybe these aliens have already been here for ages and the primitive humans have called them gods, demons and devils etc. Allah would be the most superior extra terrestrial, in a scientific theoretical viewpoint. But that which is beyond our comprehension becomes supernatural..
Maybe you should lay off of StarGate and vampire series.

Scimitar
10-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,
Walakum salaam Koopa39

I have two questions.

Is entertaining foolishness an Islamic practice? Do bears cook their food even though they seen us cook ours?

No, they are from the "unseen" for a reason, and a barrier exists between our reality and their - if you attempt to find the ghaib, then be prepared to be islolated from the reality of this world, and sign your akhirah, goodbye. Simply put. Chasing fairy tales is a thing a child does, not a grown adult.

What you may want to consider is that some species of Jinn can shape shift and manifest in forms which can look like the little green man, or a gray, or the flying spaghetti monster ... whatever they please.

SO when you claim "alien" - i have this smirk plastered over my face and I think "Pshhhhhh another one of them loonies"

These “technologically superior extraterrestrial intelligences” would not be ....[/snip]
After what I just gave you, the rest of your post became kinda irrelevant, fast.

Salaam

Scimi

sister_39738
10-21-2016, 04:18 AM
Only Allah truly knows if he created life on other planets. Secondly only Allah can create stars and galaxies. I don't think it is haram unless you are putting these hypothetical aliens on a pedestal. However, I think it is a fruitless venture. If they are technology advanced they would be able to contact us. Secondly, there are things on Earth to be ambitious about.

Al Sultan
10-21-2016, 04:58 PM
How do you know that they can do this ? How? Have you seen them ? No,do you have evidence for them ? No.Making these types of assumptions is first of all lame,and it belongs to children to be honest with you..no one can do these things only Allah,Allah never said in the Quran "and I created far more stronger creatures than you that has supper powers" did Allah say this ? No,so you should stop assuming and predicting that aliens can make seeds for life,only Allah can do that,alien is not Allah,Alien is a creation of Allah (if it even exists) why would you waste your money over it may I ask?? It's basically pointless..and it's wiswas and also shirk...its impossible,Allah said in the Quran that he preferred us over MANY things he has created.We are the beings and creatures that Allah chose..why didn't he give us super powers then? why Aliens? if you think about it,it doesn't make any sense...

Karl
10-21-2016, 10:58 PM

The Quran has nothing on these subjects at all. So as long as you use science without magic or witchcraft, I can't see any reason it would not be permitted. Don't worry about your critics, they are just scared and have a right to be, because the unknown is scary.
I have a primitive outlook and believe progress just causes problems and distracts people away from faith. Instead of worshipping God they are playing God, which I believe is very dangerous.

Al Sultan
10-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Well to reply,it's not really haram,if it's your job and your getting money from it then that's fine,as long as it doesn't turns you to kufr and shirk brother

Al Sultan
10-22-2016, 10:10 AM
But Allah never denied them though? it says that he creates what you don't know..

gazzalii
10-30-2016, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Allah is the "Lord of the Worlds" and we dont know what all those Worlds are..So it is possible that there are extraterrestrial beings somewhere in this universe. But I personally find it useless to spend all those money and effort to find them..What is the purpose? We can develop all those achievements ourselves if we avoid all useless money and human source losses..
We cannot say it is futile in the attempt to find ET as outer space is created to make humans awe at the creation. Who is behind all these-Allah

gazzalii
10-30-2016, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Sultan
How do you know that they can do this ? How? Have you seen them ? No,do you have evidence for them ? No.Making these types of assumptions is first of all lame,and it belongs to children to be honest with you..no one can do these things only Allah,Allah never said in the Quran "and I created far more stronger creatures than you that has supper powers" did Allah say this ? No,so you should stop assuming and predicting that aliens can make seeds for life,only Allah can do that,alien is not Allah,Alien is a creation of Allah (if it even exists) why would you waste your money over it may I ask?? It's basically pointless..and it's wiswas and also shirk...its impossible,Allah said in the Quran that he preferred us over MANY things he has created.We are the beings and creatures that Allah chose..why didn't he give us super powers then? why Aliens? if you think about it,it doesn't make any sense...
Are you saying we are all alone?

Al Sultan
10-30-2016, 11:42 AM
No? what I am saying is,HOW are these people so sure that Aliens can do these things? these things that they can supposedly do is just something that only god does...not aliens,making seeds for life,how can they confirm this? they haven't seen it first,and Allah said he chose Humans as the best of his creations,he did not say Aliens,he said he preferred us over many other things Allah has created,of course there could be other than humans in the universe,i myself believe there is something out there,i am just saying that Aliens cannot do these impossible things,like travel through space and what not...that makes them better than us,and Allah said humans are the best of creations,so he chose us,why didn't he give us abilities like Aliens? let alone if these abilities are even possible.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.