/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How the Salaf read the Qur'an

Delete.
10-28-2016, 11:36 PM
It is reported that Al-Aswad ibn Yazid Al-Nakha'i used to complete the recitation of the Qur'an in Ramadan every two nights; sleeping between al-Maghrib and al-'Isha. Outside of Ramadan, he used to complete a recitation every six nights. (Abu Nu'aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliya' 1:250.)

It is related from Al-Rabi' ibn Sulayman, "Muhammad ibn Idris Al-Shafi'i used to complete reciting the Qur'an in the month of Ramadan sixty times, all in the prayer." (Ibid. 4:107)

It is reported that Abul-Ash-hab said, "Abu Al-Raja' (Al-Atarudi) would complete with us a recitation of the Qur'an in the night prayers of Ramadan every ten days." (Ibid. 1:348)

It is reported that Qatadah used to complete a recitation of the Qur'an once every seven nights, and when Ramadan came, once every three nights. During the last ten nights, he would complete a recitation every night. (Ibid. 1:364)

It is reported that Al-Bukhari used to complete a recitation of the Qur'an once a day in Ramadan, and would pray after Tarawih every night, completing another recitation every three nights. (Al-Dhahabi, Siyar A'lam Al-Nubala' 12:439)

Ibn Rajab says in Lata'if Al-Ma'arif page 319, "The prohibition of reciting the Qur'an in less than three days (found in some ahadeeth) refers to doing so regularly (throughout the year). As for virtuous times, like Ramadan - especially the nights in which it is hoped Laylatu Al-Qadr will occur - or virtuous places, like Makkah - for those who enter it and are not residents there, then it is recommended to increase in reciting the Qur'an, making the most of the time and the place. This is the position of (Imam) Ahmad, Ishaq (ibn Rahuyah) and other Imams, and the practice of others (from the Salaf) indicates (they held the same position)."

SubhanAllah. May Allah have mercy on them.

Nabi salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said, "He who recites the Qur'an in less than three (days), he does not understand it." -Jami at-Tirmidhi (and others), Sahih

RasoolAllah salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said to Abdullah bin 'Amr radhiAllahu anhu - "Fast three days a month." 'Abdullah said, "I am able to fast more than that." They kept on arguing on this matter until RasoolAllah salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said, "Fast on alternate days, and recite the whole Qur'an once a month." 'Abdullah said, "I can recite more (in a month)," and the argument went on until RasoolAllah salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said, "Recite the Qur'an once each three days." (i.e. you must not recite the whole Qur'an in less than three days). -Sahih al-Bukhari

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zeal
10-29-2016, 06:51 AM
Jzkk this just tells me how much I am lacking subhanallah I will defo make it an aim to read and memorise quran more

anatolian
10-29-2016, 08:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ___
Nabi salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said, "He who recites the Qur'an in less than three (days), he does not understand it." -Jami at-Tirmidhi (and others), Sahih
Thank you for sharing this. Also, I think this hadith points out the most important part of reading Quran. We must read it to understand it. Some people think that it is just reading which matters.

fhmn63
10-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Would like to add some more points -

We should approach the Quran with pure intention of Pleasing Allah's subhanatallah .We should have Ikhlas and try to read Quran with tajweed . The" Adaab " l( Recommended manner ) of Reading Quran is that we should have clean mouth (free of smell of Onion /garlic) ,We should be free from major and minor impurity and should take care in sitting in clean place and should reflect on the verses of Quran .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.