/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Mary venerated/worshipped/prayed to by Sunnis?

Koopa39
11-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Assalam Alaykoum,

I was reading this article: diffen.com/difference/Islam_vs_Judaism

When suddenly I saw this part:

Praying to Saints, Mary, and Angel
Shiites ask for Saints' intercession, but, Sunnis do not. Mary is venerated by both Sunnis and Shiites however.
Is it true that "Mary is venerated by Sunnis"?

If I’m not mistaken, a month ago I read on another website that Sunnis do not worship/pray to anyone other than Allah. So either there is one exception for Mary, or diffen.com is wrong.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
11-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Venerate means to have respect for someone, so yes, all Muslims respect Mary...

Muslims do not worship Mary...

aaj
11-02-2016, 01:56 PM
:wasalam:

Veneration can be defined as “respect or awe directed toward someone due to his/her value or greatness.”

So all scholars, prophets, and pious people and parents are venerated in Islam in varying degrees.

The only difference for sunni vs others is that we keep veneration to the limit of the definition and do not go to extremes in that we start praying to them or as others say "ask them to intercede" on our behalf to God.

Serinity
11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
:salam:

We respect Mary :AS: but we do not worship her. That'd be kufr akbar, and take one out of Islam. The only one we Sunnis worship is Allah, because worship is the sole exclusive right of Allah. In other words, No one has the right to be worshipped except for Allah.

Allah :swt: knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.