Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cherub786
12-16-2016, 03:56 AM
What's wrong with being alienated?

fschmidt
12-16-2016, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL
by seeming to care only for certain issues and people and not for everyone
Most issues and most people are alienating, so I think focusing on the right issues and the right people is the best way to avoid alienation.

muslim brother
12-16-2016, 01:42 PM
if we are not sensitive to how others perceive us we may alienate them

.when we alienate or are alienated then we are devalued or even disregarded

when we invalidate others input we can be guilty of also denying key issues

when you fail to influence you become a victim of circumstance

choosing inclusion/involvement with aspiration and ambitions will free you from the victim mindset.even if you failed at least you tried.

the aim of all efforts is not just to do but to achieve something positive.

by engaging in partnerships and putting forward possible solutions instead of dwelling on problems you lift yourself out of the swamp of self pity

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
12-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Greetings,

an interesting debate i watched recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jahx01Wo9Gw
Didn't you find it embarrassing in any way?

Where are all the intelligent Muslim debaters?

Why do we so often see Muslims in debates changing the subject, refusing to answer questions, refusing to listen to other points of view and utterly incapable of presenting a coherent or consistent case?

Peter Tatchell was the only speaker in the discussion who was in touch with reality. He faced the Muslim panellists alone and still got accused of "bullying" despite being outnumbered. It was a truly pathetic display.

Peace

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Yeah lol, for the other side.

Hamza Tzortsis, was absolutely on point as usual.

format_quote Originally Posted by Cherub786
Yes sir, Muslims consistently fail in debates these days because they don't know how to think critically.
You never watched the debate and just ranted like a buffoon.

I can show you debates that will make you swallow your words, want some thing to chew on?

Scimi

Cherub786
12-16-2016, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Yeah lol, for the other side.

Hamza Tzortsis, was absolutely on point as usual.

You never watched the debate and just ranted like a buffoon.

I can show you debates that will make you swallow your words, want some thing to chew on?

Scimi
It’s not necessary to watch it. I know for a fact that Muslim side “embarrassed” themselves as czgibson observed.
Hamza Tzortis debates without even knowing where he stands. He uses the weak “cosmological” argument he learnt from William Lane Craig. Even the Salafis have pointed this out and explained that Hamza Tzortis just ends up embarrassing not only himself but all of us Muslims with his intellectually immature wrangling with the atheists. Take for example when he falsely claims it is impossible for there to be an endless chain of events in the past. Even Shaykh al Islam Ibn Taymiyyah disagreed with this purely speculative and baseless idea.
To me the existence of God is self-evident. It is useless to debate atheists with philosophical rhetoric that was used centuries ago and is obviously outdated.
That is my whole point, Muslims are still stuck in the medieval past and don’t know how to respond intellectually to 21st century problems and ideas. Intellectual stagnation is crippling us.

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cherub786
It’s not necessary to watch it.
Oh right, sure

show us how ignorant you really are lol

Didn't watch Hamza Tsortzis blow the opposition into muddy waters - claims Muslims can't debate :D hubris on your part, muffin,

Scimi

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Watch Imran Hussein demolish Atheist premise soundly.

Subscribe yourself,

when you've exhausted these, I'll move you up to tier two...

Scimi

czgibson
12-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Greetings,

Watch Imran Hussein demolish Atheist premise soundly.
I did eventually make it through the whole video but it was painfully immature. How can you take someone like this seriously?

His simplistic understanding of logic and the scientific method has demonstrated nothing. He gets induction the wrong way round and tries to make his interlocutor agree that non-contradiction is a universal law, despite the fact that quantum mechanics shows that this is not true at the subatomic level. He assumes that his certainty makes all other views wrong, despite having no evidence for his beliefs. When there's no evidence, it's better to say that you simply don't know. He fails to realise that uncertainty and scepticism have driven scientific progress for centuries.

Please, try a bit harder to show us an intelligent Muslim debater next time.

Peace

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Greetings,

I did eventually make through the whole video but it was painfully immature. How can you take someone like this seriously?
Easily, because he doesn't contradict himself like the guy from your camp did. Or do you think contradictions are truthful now? :D

His simplistic understanding of logic and the scientific method has demonstrated nothing. He gets induction the wrong way round and tries to make his interlocutor agree that non-contradiction is a universal law, despite the fact that quantum mechanics shows that this is not true at the subatomic level. He assumes that his certainty makes all other views wrong, despite having no evidence for his beliefs. When there's no evidence, it's better to say that you simply don't know. He fails to realise that uncertainty and scepticism have driven scientific progress for centuries.
I honestly don't think you know what the Induction is m Gibson.

Logic can be either deductive or inductive. A deductive "argument is one in which the arguer claims that it is impossible for the conclusion to be false given that the premises are true" (Hurley, 2003, p. 31). Inductive reasoning is representative of generalizations or statistical reasoning, wherein the premises can be true and the conclusion false. In an inductive argument, "the arguer claims that it is improbable that the conclusion be false given that the premises are true" (p. 31).

"If the conclusion follows with strict necessity from the premises, the argument is always deductive; if not, it could be either deductive or inductive depending on the other factors" (Hurley, 2003, p. 37). Hurley identified several types of inductive reasoning.

Prediction: knowledge of past events used to argue for a future event;

Causal inference: cause to effect or effect to cause;

Generalization: applying knowledge of a sample to a broader population;

Argument from authority: expert or witness claim to knowledge;

Argument based on signs: knowledge from human symbols; and,

Argument from analogy: described below.

Inductive logic does not offer universally accepted ideas. One aspect of inductive reasoning, particularly with regard to legal and moral reasoning, is analogical reasoning. Items being compared are called analogues, the established item is the primary and the item being compared is the secondary analogue. There are six criteria for establishing the validity of an argument from analogy:

1) Relevance of shared similarities: Do the characteristics have a meaningful connection?

2) Number of relevant similarities between the primary and secondary analogues.

3) Nature and degree of disanalogy (differences).

4) Number of primary analogues: Are there other analogous items?

5) Diversity of primary analogues, if more than one (likenesses and differences).

6) Conclusion specificity: The closer the analogy claimed, the weaker the argument.

The Philosophy of Science can be defined as an attempt to understand methods, meaning, and structure of science through logical and methodological analyses of aims, methods, criteria, concepts, laws, and theories. Generally speaking, scientific theory is just verified common sense. The scientific method is generally considered to have five steps:

1. Theory construction, observation, and description of a problem or situation.

2. Creation of a hypothesis to explain the problem or situation.

3. Operationalization of concepts, the process of defining appropriate measurement of a phenomenon not directly measurable; however, its existence is indicated by other phenomena.

4. Collection of empirical data, observations or experiments conducted to confirm or refute the hypothesis.

5. Empirical testing of hypotheses from which conclusions are drawn, theories are established, and the process may begin again. (Maxfield & Babbie, 1998, p. 61)

Imran Hussein followed to the letter the methodology by leading his opponent by the carrot, which his opponent obliged due to his honesty.

Your claims are empty and you clearly lack the understanding behind the philosophy of scientific methdologies such as Induction which Imran Hussein simply used to show how dishonest atheist science has become.

The onus in on you to prove otherwise.

And no amount of denial without proof (as per your post) will be sufficient to sway us otherwise.

We are people of logic, reason and method. We do not bend the ideas to fit our bias, like your atheist scientists have done. Nor do we fake fossil evidence as per the piltdown man episode in history, like your camp has done.

So please, do debunk Imran Hussein soundly, if you can - I know you cannot.

GreetingsPlease, try a bit harder to show us an intelligent Muslim debater next time.

Peace
At this point, I recognise you are both, serious and ignorant in your request. WOW.

This is getting real interesting now lol

Scimi

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 05:25 PM
One more thing Mr Gibzon,

Since you think you are an expert on this issue, mind telling me what Hume meant by "There is no rational warrant for for inductive references" ?????

See bro, we're not as ignorant as you think, and can throw you curve balls you won't see coming either.

Scimi

czgibson
12-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Greetings,

Easily, because he doesn't contradict himself like the guy from your camp did. Or do you think contradictions are truthful now? :D
In fairness, he didn't do a very good job of defending his position. That doesn't mean he's wrong, however.

I honestly don't think you know what the Induction is m Gibson.
I have a Master's degree in Philosophy and have written papers on the subject. I am well aware of the problems with induction, so please spare me the lecture.

Let's look at Imran Hussein's definition of induction: "Induction is when you go from a general set of data and you make a specific conclusion." In fact, induction involves making inferences from a limited set of data to a more general conclusion. Are you now able to see why I said Hussein has got induction the wrong way round?

Since you think you are an expert on this issue, mind telling me what Hume meant by "There is no rational warrant for for inductive references" ?????
He actually said "There is no rational warrant for for inductive inferences", and he means exactly what he says. We all use induction every day (for instance, in our belief that the sun will rise tomorrow, or that drinking water will quench thirst, or that smoking is bad for health), but Hume was right to point out that there is a very serious problem with induction. That is, the best reason for believing inductive arguments is that they have tended to work well in the past. This itself is an inductive argument, hence the problem arises.

See bro, we're not as ignorant as you think, and can throw you curve balls you won't see coming either.
Hume's identification of the problem of induction is very well known in Philosophy. I would like to know why you are so pleased with yourself for pointing it out. What do you think it shows?

As for your level of ignorance, I'm not sure whether I have enough data. I do remember being impressed by your knowledge of maps a few months ago.

I'm still waiting for your next example of an intelligent Muslim debater.

Peace

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Greetings,

In fairness, he didn't do a very good job of defending his position. That doesn't mean he's wrong, however.

I have a Master's degree in Philosophy and have written papers on the subject. I am well aware of the problems with induction, so please spare me the lecture.

Let's look at Imran Hussein's definition of induction: "Induction is when you go from a general set of data and you make a specific conclusion." In fact, induction involves making inferences from a limited set of data to a more general conclusion. Are you now able to see why I said Hussein has got induction the wrong way round?
Absolutely not. That was exactly what Imran Hussein was doing, when he mentioned and I quote: "Induction is when you go from a general set of data and you make a specific conclusion." Because that is what Scientist in the modern age do - he used that faulty example to prove that modern day scientists have made a pigs ear of it, and he used the sampling of birds example to prove it. He was leading the Donkey by the Carrot, so to speak.

Surely that didn't get past you Mr Gibson. Why are you playing inversions? It won't ride with me.

Clearly, the Atheist was out of his depth, with his professor alongside him claiming "and that's another big problem for us"... I had to admire his honesty. lol.

He actually said "There is no rational warrant for for inductive inferences", and he means exactly what he says. We all use induction every day (for instance, in our belief that the sun will rise tomorrow, or that drinking water will quench thirst, or that smoking is bad for health), but Hume was right to point out that there is a very serious problem with induction. That is, the best reason for believing inductive arguments is that they have tended to work well in the past. This itself is an inductive argument, hence the problem arises.
So why then, do scientists rely so heavily upon it if the idea is flawed? See Imrans point now?

He (Imran) gave examples of Induction as validated in science, and showed them to be wholly unrepresentative of facts which do not sit well with said inductive logic.

Hume's identification of the problem of induction is very well known in Philosophy. I would like to know why you are so pleased with yourself for pointing it out. What do you think it shows?

As for your level of ignorance, I'm not sure whether I have enough data. I do remember being impressed by your knowledge of maps a few months ago.

I'm still waiting for your next example of an intelligent Muslim debater.

Peace
Bro, I'm surprised you fell so low as to try a character assassination attempt. can we stay on topic please ? :D

Come on bro, this was starting to get interesting.

For the record, I also have a deep interest in philoosphy, although I never studied it in any university like you did. Ever read Al Ghazali's Incoherences? Mind blowing.

But let's stay on topic (I don't want to pick up your habits here)

You just wrote: Hume's identification of the problem of induction is very well known in Philosophy.

Clearly it is not so well known in scientific circles, as was proven in the video.

Scimi

czgibson
12-17-2016, 01:57 AM
Greetings,

Sorry for the delay. I had to leave to go and play a rock and roll gig in a pub with some friends.

Absolutely not. That was exactly what Imran Hussein was doing, when he mentioned and I quote: "Induction is when you go from a general set of data and you make a specific conclusion."
The point is that this is an incorrect definition of induction that Hussein has given us.

Because that is what Scientist in the modern age do
Scientists are aware that their knowledge is imperfect. They do not claim certainty, and every aspect of science is permanently open to revision upon finding better evidence. They rely on induction, as we all do.

What I'm not sure you're getting is this: induction seems to be a habit of thought that we all rely on in order to make predictions about our experience and the world around us. If you were suddenly deprived of the ability to think inductively, it is unlikely you would be able to leave your house. Your brain wouldn't be able to form enough background knowledge about simple objects and experiences to guide your behaviour successfully.

This article might clear up some of the confusion here.

- he used that faulty example to prove that modern day scientists have made a pigs ear of it, and he used the sampling of birds example to prove it. He was leading the Donkey by the Carrot, so to speak.
Pigs, donkeys, carrots. What are you talking about? Are you saying that science has been unsuccessful? Or that scientists have done something wrong?

Surely that didn't get past you Mr Gibson. Why are you playing inversions? It won't ride with me.
I played a few chord inversions on my guitar tonight. Other than that, none.

Clearly, the Atheist was out of his depth, with his professor alongside him claiming "and that's another big problem for us"... I had to admire his honesty. lol.
Yes, discussing things honestly is a good approach.

So why then, do scientists rely so heavily upon it if the idea is flawed? See Imrans point now?
Because it seems to be part of the way our brains work. Even though they are uncertain, inductive arguments are successful for so much of the time that they can still be useful to us. Along with deductive reasoning, of course. You can't forget that that's a big part of science too.

He (Imran) gave examples of Induction as validated in science, and showed them to be wholly unrepresentative of facts which do not sit well with said inductive logic.
I'm not sure how well you've understood this.

Peace

Search
12-17-2016, 03:51 AM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

Greetings,
It's good to see you participating on IB. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't watch the video. That said, a question: Do you, for example, get embarrassed if other males in your workplace fail to show up on time because you're a male yourself or when other some specific atheists might not able to articulate their viewpoints well in a specific venue even though probably many other atheists do and have in other venues? Similarly, I don't understand why a Muslim should become embarrassed on behalf of another Muslim's performance in a debate; there's something to be said for at least having our viewpoint as Muslims represented, even if it is not articulated as well as we'd like. For example, there are doubtless debates happening about the Muslim/Islam question without the benefit of any Muslim person's presence on other panels; that is and should be far more concerning to us as Muslims.

Surely, this one debate can't have been that bad to make the call for "[w]here are all the intelligent Muslim debaters"? And if this was that bad, I'd love to have you point out specific issues - as human beings, we can only learn from our collective mistakes, right?

Why do we so often see Muslims in debates changing the subject, refusing to answer questions, refusing to listen to other points of view and utterly incapable of presenting a coherent or consistent case?
This could be for a variety of reasons: Muslims might feel some questions don't deserve a response; for example, on another non-Muslim board some years ago, I was once asked why as a Muslim I'm forced by my religion to hate and destroy all non-Muslims? While I did answer the question and thoroughly too, refuting that particular weird assertion in the guise of a question, I was honestly not too happy to be having to refute a weird, antagonistic, and baseless assumption. So, I can understand when some Muslims refuse to answer some questions, because some might hold some belief as to some belligerent or insincere or provoking questions not meriting a response.

Also, sometimes, there isn't enough time given to properly give nuanced answers to questions; and sometimes, there are concerns about the understanding level of the audiences; and so, an answer might be deliberately vague to drive across a particular point, though said in that way with the intent of avoiding the audience becoming engrossed in or sidetracked with irrelevant tangential issues not of immediate relevance or concern.

Also, I want to clarify something: Muslims do listen to other points of view - literally, any Muslim living in a Western society anywhere in the world has no choice - due to being part of a minority population; and I think you might be underestimating on just how many issues we have clarity in terms of the non-Muslim viewpoint specific to Islam/Muslims - and perhaps because Muslims already know what specific types of non-Muslims' positions are on certain issues - it may seem like specific Muslims are not immediately listening to any assertions presented forthwith in specific arenas like a debate - but the truth is as Muslims we're already familiar with and have listened to these positions but just not agreed - and so at an opportune time like an arena of debate some Muslims might just be eager to get on with the task of presenting their own viewpoints as a representation of Islam/Muslims and so in turn may erroneously come off as individuals that are not inclined to properly give a circumspect and fair hearing to other points of view on the given topic.

And hey, maybe these Muslim debaters did not present a cogent case (and I can't say either way as I haven't watched the video) - however, maybe we can clarify some points that you didn't feel was answered well in this debate?

Peter Tatchell was the only speaker in the discussion who was in touch with reality. He faced the Muslim panellists alone and still got accused of "bullying" despite being outnumbered. It was a truly pathetic display.
Callum, you have to understand something very important about bullying: A person can be a lone person and still manage to bully a group of people.

Please understand all it takes for the bullying to happen is for a strong personality to run roughshod over those surrounding him. I am not saying, by the way, that Peter Tatchell bullied the Muslim panelists, as you know that I've already admitted that I have not as yet watched the video.

However, I do want to correct the false impression that a lone person cannot manage to bully a group of persons; a lone person can, and doubtless has in numerous examples even in history; and the bullying can take place even in a roomful of audience. I'm, again, not saying that's the case here. However, a person doesn't have to be a detective or a historian or a social scientist to know that there are undoubtedly people who have a boss or a co-worker or a relative who adequately manage to fit the description of bullying a group of people even being the lone person in a roomful of others.

Peace
Wishing you the best, as always, :)

Search
12-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Greetings,
Hi. :)

So, yesterday, I finally had a chance to watch the video. And I thought I'd answer the questions you've posed here now that I've had time to watch the video.

I didn't find it embarrassing. While I don't think that any of the Muslim panelists brought any new points which we could take home, I did think they discussed the issues that they found concerning then, and I liked the fact that they emphasized that we as Muslims needed to become comfortable with our own identity.

That said, I think it is a huge characterization of the event to call it a "debate" as it was not a debate by any stretch of the imagination. When I imagine a debate, I imagine people taking opposing viewpoints and taking turns to present their sides - for or against.

Simply as a neutral observer, the event seemed more like a discussion panel and not a debate. So, I'm unsure why this specific organization called iERA felt the need to characterize it as a "debate." Even from Peter Hatchell, since I watched the video to the end, I didn't get the impression that he was any true voice of dissent, though his trying to question the panel at one point did lead to heated answers from Muslim panelists.

I don't think that's a fair question. This event was, from my understanding, not a "debate" and I think calling the event so is a misnomer on the part of the organization that arranged the event. A better question would be, "Where is the debate?"

To be fair, I don't think they changed the subject so much as they wanted to get back to the main topic, which I presume all panelists understood was, "Is Islam a solution or cause of the extremism?"

Also, I wanted to note that the panel's discussion took place in October 2015, and so I went to Wikipedia and went through the list of all terrorist attacks in 2015; while none stood out as prominently as the attacks to be followed in California and Paris which were after October 2015, I'd have to say that I do remember there being the most heightened concerns in that year as the issue of Daesh was one that really was of great security concern. So, I mined some stories of U.K. in that time period before October 2015 and found the following: British Muslim girls had traveled to Syria in February 2015 and were believed married in July 2015 and U.K. papers carried stories of youth being arrested for intending to travel to Syria - some in which males intended to do so and others in which females had intended to do so - but failed. So, as I imagine, the media must have been having a field day of anti-Muslim stories for which both The Sun and The Daily Mail are already famous for doing so and other major news networks were also carrying these stories as they were the highlight of the latest tragic news in Daesh's ability to radicalize youth and probably hysteria about the loyalty of British Muslims to U.K.

Against the backdrop of these things, Peter Tatchell, though I do not doubt well-intentioned, made the mistake of questioning the panel. And yes, it was a mistake, I stress again, because the discussion topic was focused on whether Islam was a solution to the extremism they were seeing then in the community or not. And questioning then instead the panel as to their beliefs on specific topics in shariah (Islamic law) was inappropriate, because that was not the topic of discussion nor relevant - though I do understand that back then probably the majority of the British non-Muslim public were becoming increasingly concerned about whether Muslims somehow want to impose Daesh's version of shariah (Islamic law) on them should they somehow ever come into power. However, again, the line of questioning was inappropriate because I imagine Muslims then were already feeling under fire from all sides, and for then Peter Tatchell, to be insensitive to that, and question the panel (even with good intentions) was inappropriate.

As to Hamza Tzortzis making the accusation of "bullying", you forget that Peter Hatchell questioned Hamza as to a set of things he'd mined from Google and YouTube which were from Hamza Tzortzis himself and I could already see Hamza was uncomfortable being questioned about what he'd said and then Peter then moved on subsequently to questioning the panel as well. So, I think Hamza was talking about how Muslims were feeling probably not because Peter himself was a bully but this line of questioning felt like bullying to the panel who were not there to have their "Britishness" questioned due to their "Muslimness." That said, I don't think Peter was intending to interrogate them so much as have the Muslim panelists issue clarification on specifics of beliefs that were probably of then great concern to the British non-Muslim public. However, even being sensitive to that desire, I don't think I can give Peter a pass on this unmerited lack of questioning.

So, while I don't think Peter intended to bully the panel, I think his line of questioning was inappropriate against the backdrop that I've just painted existed for them with anti-Muslim hysteria on the rise and a question mark hanging over the loyalty of British Muslim citizens.

I understand that Peter has all these years, as he says, felt persecuted from Islamists who've given him death threats; however, if we're being honest, let's not imagine that death threats are exclusive to only him for being a prominent non-Muslim. Many Muslims too receive death threats for not being "Muslim" enough, and I imagine that the Muslim panelists have not escaped these types of threats from either the non-Muslim anti-Muslim brigade made in the image of EDL or BNP or the self-righteous Muslims who somehow imagine that they have a right to judge others on the scale of "Muslimness."

I'm unsure how you can say Peter Tatchell was "in touch with reality." Honestly, from your point of view, what remark makes you to say he was "in touch with reality"? Is it because he wanted to question the panel? Is it because he supports Palestine? Is it because he gives Tell Mama organization money and his support? No one said Peter Tatchell was not a nice man; even I think he is a nice man.

However, his desiring to question the panel cannot be characterized as being "in touch with reality." For the record, I think Peter is probably a good man because I absolutely give him credit for the work that he's done to fight anti-Muslim bigotry and Islamophobia that he'd enumerated towards the near end of the video. However, I don't think his line of questioning was appropriate in a time when Muslims were already feeling threatened from the negative press coverage, governmental scrutiny, and increasing outrage from the public as to Daesh's antics and desiring to put Muslims on trial as to their faith.

Also, I have to say that Peter Tatchell is definitely not "in touch with reality" as to one important point: Secularism is a worldview. And one of the remarkable things I've had to watch in secular societies is how nonsensical positions always get a pass. For example, gay marriage had not been legalized for the longest time in the United States, until July 2015, that is, even though U.S. is a secular society and has a doctrine specifying "separation of church and state," because of religious bent of the public and not because the country had any real "secular reasons" to ban gay marriage. Transsexuals are struggling to attain legal rights in the U.S. even though U.S. is a secular society because of the religious bent of the public. Polygamy is banned in the U.S. because of the religious bent of the public in the U.S.

Also, discussions of banning articles of clothing like Britain was at one point considering in terms of niqab and Angela Merkel is saying now she'll do, is unjustifiable in truly secular societies with values of "freedom" until we take into consideration that secularism has also militant and radical strains. And I'm sorry to say that secularism doesn't get a free pass as to any moral high ground because it doesn't have it and has never had it. I'd also say that in addition to the religious bent of the majority which somehow "secularism" always takes into the consideration as well as the despotic way in which secularism has been marketed for a long time has been witnessing us getting involved in undeclared wars in the Middle East like the Iraq War and now Syria, all under the ambiguous and dubious catchphrase "War on Terror." I'm seriously starting to get sick of people marketing themselves whether it's right-wing politicians who are apparently "Christian" but not Christ-like and then Islamists who say they are "muhajideen" when they are just terrorists hungering for political hegemony but without any of the ihsan (excellence) in character and actions expected of Muslims; literally, just as we would read a label before buying a product, we need now more than ever to be wary of intelligent but meaningless labels and disingenuous clever self-marketing ploys.

Also, I came away with another thing from watching this discussion. In the U.S., for the longest time, liberals now realize that they threw around terms like "racist," "Islamophobe," "homophobe" as a way to perhaps shut down certain types of discussion but its currency seems to have expired from overuse and wrong usage. Similarly, I think now the term "Islamist" and "extremist" is about to lose its currency in U.K. because of its overuse and wrong usage.

So, in terms of sentiments, I agree with you - this "debate" which was not a true debate was uncharacteristically depressing for all those reasons I've enumerated; and I'd love to see what you think also.

Peace
Wishing you the best, as always, and yes, peace too, :)

Scimitar
12-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Greetings,

Sorry for the delay. I had to leave to go and play a rock and roll gig in a pub with some friends.
Howdy, no problemo for the delay. Guitar eh?

The point is that this is an incorrect definition of induction that Hussein has given us.
I disagree, and so did the atheists in the video once Imran corrected their understanding of it.

Scientists are aware that their knowledge is imperfect. They do not claim certainty, and every aspect of science is permanently open to revision upon finding better evidence. They rely on induction, as we all do.
It's useful, in some cases. I won't disagree, but it could be used badly too. I don't think you would disagree.

What I'm not sure you're getting is this: induction seems to be a habit of thought that we all rely on in order to make predictions about our experience and the world around us. If you were suddenly deprived of the ability to think inductively, it is unlikely you would be able to leave your house. Your brain wouldn't be able to form enough background knowledge about simple objects and experiences to guide your behaviour successfully.
I know what induction is, when it is useful and when it's not. What I think you fail to address is exactly this: the inductive process is by its nature, uncertain. And thus, only a means by which one can navigate something they do not understand. Alongside the Deductive process and between these, scientists believe they can answer most questions, with a relative amount of certainty - the problem I have with that idea is that the very same scientists claim uncertainty in the next breath.

Pigs, donkeys, carrots. What are you talking about? Are you saying that science has been unsuccessful? Or that scientists have done something wrong?
Meh, We move on.

I played a few chord inversions on my guitar tonight. Other than that, none.
Let's keep moving. *shakes head

Yes, discussing things honestly is a good approach.
That's what I admire about ya Mr G. The honesty.

Because it seems to be part of the way our brains work. Even though they are uncertain, inductive arguments are successful for so much of the time that they can still be useful to us. Along with deductive reasoning, of course. You can't forget that that's a big part of science too.
That's exactly what I said above - that between these two - the inductive and deductive, scientists think they can answer most questions with a relative amount of certainty - and then in the next, claim uncertainty... real quick. Probabilities to me are just something to muse over. Nothing worth taking as a belief.

Ofcourse, the abductive process is also problematic, given it's limitations, but I'm sure you will claim that this just fleshes in the methodology of the science for you. I will not disagree. But I will say, it's willfully painful a process, don't you think? I know Rome wasn't built in a day - but to invest in set of principled ideas that are in reality, only based on understanding probability factors? Certainty/Uncertainty?

I'm not sure how well you've understood this.
I don't know, you tell me bro.

Peace
And to you, peace. :)

Scimi

Born_Believer
12-18-2016, 09:44 PM
I didn't watch the debate but Muslims do not alienate themselves. Just about every mosque I know of raises money, not just for Muslim causes but many non-Muslim causes. Just recently, East London Mosque and other mosques in London started a fundraiser to raise food and clothing for the poor during winter in this Christmas period. MMD, a Muslim medic organisation holds several events every years raising money for all kinds of causes and also works in conjunction with other groups, such as those campaigning for better understanding of mental health. Muslims are involved in British politics (good or bad)...heck one of the world's most important cities has a Muslim mayor, in a country where barely 5% of the population is Muslim.

I could go on but I feel I have made my point, so in which way do we alienate ourselves? Or is it more pertinent to say other organisations, religious groups and political motivations try and alienate and segregate us from the rest of society?

Scimitar
12-18-2016, 09:50 PM
London Muslims donate 10 tonnes of food for homeless at Christmas

Hundreds of Muslims flocked to the East London Mosque on Friday in a drive to feed London's homeless during the festive period.
Pictures showed members of the 7,500 strong Muslim congregation donating food as they attended Friday prayers at the mosque in Whitechapel.

Read more here:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3422611.html

Scimi

Zeal
12-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Subhanallah

Born_Believer
12-18-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm still curious if this is going to be answered by OP:

I could go on but I feel I have made my point, so in which way do we alienate ourselves? Or is it more pertinent to say other organisations, religious groups and political motivations try and alienate and segregate us from the rest of society?

czgibson
12-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Search
Do you, for example, get embarrassed if other males in your workplace fail to show up on time because you're a male yourself
If it's a workplace that I care about, then yes, I do.

or when other some specific atheists might not able to articulate their viewpoints well in a specific venue even though probably many other atheists do and have in other venues?
Of course.

Surely, this one debate can't have been that bad to make the call for "[w]here are all the intelligent Muslim debaters"?
Perhaps my words didn't make it clear that my opinion has not been formed by watching only one debate. This is just one more example.

And if this was that bad, I'd love to have you point out specific issues - as human beings, we can only learn from our collective mistakes, right?
I think I already did.

This could be for a variety of reasons: Muslims might feel some questions don't deserve a response; for example, on another non-Muslim board some years ago, I was once asked why as a Muslim I'm forced by my religion to hate and destroy all non-Muslims?
What prevents you from giving the easy reply that your religion doesn't teach that?

I don't think that's a fair question. This event was, from my understanding, not a "debate" and I think calling the event so is a misnomer on the part of the organization that arranged the event. A better question would be, "Where is the debate?"
Your question is also a good one. Again, my question doesn't just relate to this video. I would like to see people like you on TV, Search. You do a far better job of discussing these things than most.

Against the backdrop of these things, Peter Tatchell, though I do not doubt well-intentioned, made the mistake of questioning the panel. And yes, it was a mistake, I stress again, because the discussion topic was focused on whether Islam was a solution to the extremism they were seeing then in the community or not. And questioning then instead the panel as to their beliefs on specific topics in shariah (Islamic law) was inappropriate, because that was not the topic of discussion nor relevant
How can discussing the nature of sharia not be relevant regarding the question of whether Islam could be a solution to extremism?

As to Hamza Tzortzis making the accusation of "bullying", you forget that Peter Hatchell questioned Hamza as to a set of things he'd mined from Google and YouTube which were from Hamza Tzortzis himself and I could already see Hamza was uncomfortable being questioned about what he'd said
What's wrong with questioning somebody about things they've said?

So, while I don't think Peter intended to bully the panel, I think his line of questioning was inappropriate against the backdrop that I've just painted existed for them with anti-Muslim hysteria on the rise and a question mark hanging over the loyalty of British Muslim citizens.
Why was it inappropriate?

I understand that Peter has all these years, as he says, felt persecuted from Islamists who've given him death threats; however, if we're being honest, let's not imagine that death threats are exclusive to only him for being a prominent non-Muslim.
So he's received death threats. Must be a bully then.

Many Muslims too receive death threats for not being "Muslim" enough, and I imagine that the Muslim panelists have not escaped these types of threats from either the non-Muslim anti-Muslim brigade made in the image of EDL or BNP or the self-righteous Muslims who somehow imagine that they have a right to judge others on the scale of "Muslimness."
Does any aspect of this concatenation of hatreds sound like a solution to extremism to you?

Honestly, from your point of view, what remark makes you to say he was "in touch with reality"?
Many things make me say that, but let's start with the fact that he doesn't believe that an angel dictated the answers to all life's questions to an illiterate merchant in the 7th century.

However, I don't think his line of questioning was appropriate in a time when Muslims were already feeling threatened from the negative press coverage, governmental scrutiny, and increasing outrage from the public as to Daesh's antics and desiring to put Muslims on trial as to their faith.
I don't understand why you think it's inappropriate. Why can't people ask whatever questions they like?

Also, I have to say that Peter Tatchell is definitely not "in touch with reality" as to one important point: Secularism is a worldview. And one of the remarkable things I've had to watch in secular societies is how nonsensical positions always get a pass. For example, gay marriage had not been legalized for the longest time in the United States, until July 2015, that is, even though U.S. is a secular society and has a doctrine specifying "separation of church and state," because of religious bent of the public and not because the country had any real "secular reasons" to ban gay marriage. Transsexuals are struggling to attain legal rights in the U.S. even though U.S. is a secular society because of the religious bent of the public. Polygamy is banned in the U.S. because of the religious bent of the public in the U.S.
Do you support gay marriage, transsexuals and polygamy?

As to the religious influence on public policy, I agree with you; it's a terrible thing.

Also, discussions of banning articles of clothing like Britain was at one point considering in terms of niqab and Angela Merkel is saying now she'll do, is unjustifiable in truly secular societies with values of "freedom" until we take into consideration that secularism has also militant and radical strains.
I disagree with banning the niqab.

And I'm sorry to say that secularism doesn't get a free pass as to any moral high ground because it doesn't have it and has never had it.
But it does tend to lead to more successful societies:

Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

So, in terms of sentiments, I agree with you - this "debate" which was not a true debate was uncharacteristically depressing for all those reasons I've enumerated; and I'd love to see what you think also.
Yes, I agree with a lot of what you've said. It was certainly not a well-organised debate in the usual sense. You could almost say ... embarrassing, which I think is where we came in.

Talking about depressing, take a look at Scimitar's latest reply to me. He's bright lad with occasional flashes of insight, but just look at the monumental level of misunderstanding I now have to respond to.

Peace

Search
12-19-2016, 03:35 AM
Greetings,
Hey. :)

If it's a workplace that I care about, then yes, I do.
This would be helpful if I talk to co-workers who could confirm as to your facial expressions and behavior and words when a male does show up late. :p Otherwise, I don't know what I'd do with you saying that. I'm not saying, by the way, that I don't believe you, but I certainly don't know if you're embarrassed literally on behalf of other males showing up late to the workplace.

Perhaps my words didn't make it clear that my opinion has not been formed by watching only one debate. This is just one more example.
Yes, I did gather that impression. Question: Have you watched debates in which Mehdi Hassan participated? I think he does a good job. He's almost as good as Douglas Murray, and despite the fact that I don't like the way Douglas Murray takes Islamophobic stances almost always, I do want to give credit where credit's due: He's an awesome debater.

What prevents you from giving the easy reply that your religion doesn't teach that?
Well, yes, the religion doesn't teach that - in fact, does any religion? And yes, sure, I can explain in short answers, but I think it's important to understand the person who's asking the question as well when you're answering a question. And believe you me, the person was not going to be satisfied with short answers; she's one who I'd have characterized as Islamophobic, and I don't say that lightly. Plus, there's something to be said for actually replying in detail to clear any further misunderstanding for posterity (i.e. all future readers of that thread).

Your question is also a good one. Again, my question doesn't just relate to this video. I would like to see people like you on TV, Search. You do a far better job of discussing these things than most.
That's a nice thought; and I appreciate the thought. However, there are a great many concerns with this desire; I'd lose my privacy for one. Number two, I'd be the target of death threats from both Islamists and our not so cute Trumpeter right-winger non-Muslims. I'd be characterized probably as an Islamist by one group and not enough of a "Muslim" by the other.

Also, there's fame and then there's notoriety; I can maybe, maybe just maybe handle being famous (not too sure as people in my humble opinion usually don't handle it well), but I would not and could not handle notoriety.

And as if that wasn't enough of a concern, I can honestly tell you that I am a hit-and-miss presenter/debater; I remember, for example, in college doing either such a great job in public speaking/presenting that I'd either get a standing ovation or I'd be so nervous that I'd do such a piss-poor job that I'd leave the audience with befuddled expressions (poor audience!). So, I can honestly tell you that while I'd like to do something like this in theory, I like it remaining in theory better; in reality, I'd be skittering away from the opportunity because such a thing scares me. Being in the courtroom is different, though it was intimidating as well when it was new. However, in the courtroom at least I am familiar with the environment, with the officials, the people, and so it doesn't scare me; it's just a job. Here, it wouldn't be a job; I'd be afraid so badly of messing up and inadvertently not representing Islam well that I'm not sure I'd be able to do a good job.

And last but not least, it would absolutely break my heart if some British dude despite my best efforts and show then wrote, "Where are all the intelligent Muslim debaters?" :p Haha.

How can discussing the nature of sharia not be relevant regarding the question of whether Islam could be a solution to extremism?
Simple. Islam as currently practiced while technically emerging from shariah (Islamic law) in terms of how to fast and pray and conduct ourselves in financial transactions is part of the practice that we Muslims do everyday is not the "shariah" (Islamic law) which immediately draws people's eyebrows up to their hairlines and scares non-Muslims into believing that we'll be chopping people's heads. And that part of shariah is not only completely inapplicable and inaccessible to anyone living in Britain, there's a great amount of misunderstanding of what "shariah" really is and what it encompasses and its purpose as we've already discussed that shariah can be encapsulated in many quotes but one of the most important and relevant as I'd told you before is the words of Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him): Ward off the hudood punishments from the Muslims as much as you can. If there is any possible way for the accused, let him go. For a judge to err in pardon is better than his erring in punishment. British Muslims live under U.K. law, correct? So, how is shariah that most non-Muslim people think of even remotely relevant to discussion about extremism in Muslim communities? It's not. It's not the shariah that has been responsible for driving Muslims to suddenly imagine that joining Daesh is the way to go; it's literally alienation among the Muslim community as we've discussed previously in my PMs alongside other relevant things.

What's wrong with questioning somebody about things they've said?
Theoretically, nothing.

Also, for the record, I think Hamza should have expected questions about his previously stated positions elsewhere. (And I think he did, but he did not like it and felt a little defensive; I also expect that he didn't want to issue any public clarifications when his blog already has issued clarifications as he'd said.)

In fact, all the the panel, from what I'd seen, had been asking questions nicely to one another before Peter then very unfortunately decided to put irresponsibly, in my opinion, irrelevant questions concerning shariah forward to all of the panelists, which then led to the heated exchanges between the panelists.

The point I am trying to make is that Peter questioned Hamza and then questioned the entire Muslim panelists as well, which only then led Hamza to put forward the charge of "bullying" so as to describe/name what others may have been feeling with his desire to scrutinize their beliefs. And I've already told you that given the climate I imagined existed against the backdrop of this panel's discussion in October 2015, Peter went too far. He went from querying Hamza to then wanting answers from the entire panel, answers which might have assuaged his own fears but were not quite appropriate for the venue, the topic, and against the backdrop of the extreme anti-Muslim climate I can easily imagine then existed. Let's not forget this is the time when Daesh were releasing their horrific videos and publishing their horrific material on the Internet; and media outlets were reporting on these things almost daily, at least in the U.S., and I imagine U.K. was no different. They were all there to discuss/debate the issue of extremism and whether the solution is or is not Islam, not make the main topic the panelists themselves.

I repeat: I'm sure Peter did not intend to put anyone on trial.

However, I imagine something like this had also been happening on public stages in the McCarthy era due to Cold War tensions and fears of communism; we're supposed to have learned from our mistakes and therefore want to avoid them and definitely not repeat them. Otherwise, why are we still opening history books in schools to learn if we only intend to bury its lessons behind us?

Good intentions aside, I simply don't think it was appropriate of Peter to put forward the questions to all the panelists about shariah for all the reasons I've said.

Why was it inappropriate?
You're going to make me repeat my eloquent words? :( In October 2015, there was heightened scrutiny of Muslims from the government, the press, and the public, and against the backdrop of this anti-Muslim climate, Peter questioning the Muslim panelists was inappropriate. He was there to discuss the main topic, not to verify the panelists' beliefs as to whether they are Islamists or not.

So he's received death threats. Must be a bully then.
No, no, no, hey, you don't get away with that; I won't let you. I never said he was a bully. In fact, I went to great lengths to make clear that I don't think he was a bully or trying to bully the panelists; however, I do think his attempts at questioning were validly perceived as bullying by others on the same panel.

For example, if a man is hitting on a woman in a workplace, he might think that's appropriate because he's the handsomest frog to have ever lived and these moments are as right and ripe as any to show how studly he is. However, the woman is likely to perceive that as sexual harassment, especially if it's not convenient for her or wanted by her; point is her feelings decide for her as to what she thinks has happened.

Does any aspect of this concatenation of hatreds sound like a solution to extremism to you?
I have a quibble with you: You made me open an online dictionary to look up "concatenation." :p

To answer your question, I think it would be great if we lived in an ideal world; and in that ideal world, our governments would not involve themselves in interfering with other governments or countries because of trying to attain/maintain some hegemony as a dominant superpower. However, we don't live in an ideal world. So, while I understand lack of interference in foreign affairs being posed as a solution, I think we also have to think about the fact that there might still be involvement in foreign affairs in ways that we might not like despite our best affairs to stop that, and therefore we have to deal in solutions that are able to be viable even in the case of involvement in foreign affairs.

Personally speaking, yes, I do think Islam is the solution to extremism. However, for Islam to be a solution, the people have to be willing to work together. Did you know that I visited London as a college student on Spring Break once? One of the things that I can tell you I personally felt is that the British people are not happy with following the lead of U.S. in foreign policy matters, because I cannot tell you how many times I had to answer questions of normal everyday people who are definitely not minorities in U.K. wondering why America is fighting this "War on Terror" having involved U.K. too. Apparently, we Americans were then not too popular in U.K., and I shudder to think how popular we may be now with Trump having asked Britain to appoint Nigel Farage as a U.K. ambassador to U.S. on Twitter. *Cringe*

So, anyway, yes, both Muslims and non-Muslims have to be willing together for common causes, and one of the biggest common and unifying causes that I know is that we don't want to involve ourselves in more foreign affairs; this doesn't mean as a nation becoming an isolationist but that we strive to not meddle in other countries' affairs thinking we know best. Because here's a radical thought: Maybe we don't know best.

Anyway, maybe working for a common cause on a large-scale doesn't change anything for the future of foreign affairs even if non-Muslim and Muslim communities work together, but it might just bring us enough closer together as communities so that we don't mistrust one and learn to see one another as human beings and let go of any residual tribal mindset; by the way, I'm sure there are other common causes, but I can't think of them at the top of my head when it's late at night right now. *Real yawn*

However, it's not just because I'm an optimist that I'm warning you that the one to watch out for now in our time is not going to be Muslim extremists because their time has ended; with the Trump presidency, you can say in a manner of speaking a new era has been ushered, and the thing you'll now have to watch out for is right-wing politics and its dominance on the world stage; they'll be the one to now get us into any future trouble. Mark my words.

So, stop looking at the back door; it's closed now. Look to the front door that we've left open.

Many things make me say that, but let's start with the fact that he doesn't believe that an angel dictated the answers to all life's questions to an illiterate merchant in the 7th century.
Tsk. Tsk. Hey, I really do believe that Angel Jibreel/Gabriel :as: dictated the answers to all life's questions to an illiterate merchant in the 7th century.

And again, back to square one, are we not? (Why, why, why God! Okay, now, that I'm done with the histrionics! :p I can answer you.) I have told you time and again the answer to question for you to try to discover the answer is whether God exists, because all of your questions and unbelief stems comes from this first question. And therefore, we keep coming back to you again and again questioning possibilities of the unseen world. Again, the first question is: Does God exist? That's your life's question and mission in life to find out; so, please, off you go on a search expedition; I don't care how you go about this matter as long as you make the effort. I think it's vital to both you and me that you have a final answer by emptying yourself of all things you think you know and instead become again open-minded to at least the possibility and genuinely search, because otherwise we're going to keep running in circles about this matter as you'd continually fail to realize, understand, and accept the first point (i.e. there is a God) from which emerges all other points of our discussion.

I don't understand why you think it's inappropriate. Why can't people ask whatever questions they like?
I've answered this already somewhere above. Hopefully, that's sufficient an answer. If not, you're welcome to ask again. ;)

Do you support gay marriage, transsexuals and polygamy?
There are two parts to this very honest answer: 1) Religiously, I personally believe that Islam forbids gay marriage and for people to become transsexuals and allows polygamy. 2) In a secular setting, however, I cannot understand how and under what valid terms the state feels it can ban gay marriage, deprive transsexuals certain rights and liberties, and deny Mormons and Muslims and any other religion's adherents to practice polygamy.

So, while I cannot say that I support things forbidden in Islam, I can tell you that I'm a liberal for the reason that I do not politically support the state interfering in these matters because a secular society has no standing in my eyes to dictate in these matters.

As to the religious influence on public policy, I agree with you; it's a terrible thing.
Well, the part that annoys me is that despite the verbal mouthing of "separation of church and state," religious doctrine is definitely a great influence on how U.S. is actually interpreting rights of others in matters like polygamy, transsexual rights, and gay rights.

I disagree with banning the niqab.
:)

But it does tend to lead to more successful societies:

Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies
I'm disinclined to agree with you, but that's just a knee-jerk reaction. So, I'll read the article that you've cited, and I'll then give you my opinion InshaAllah (God-willing) when I finish.

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you've said. It was certainly not a well-organised debate in the usual sense. You could almost say ... embarrassing, which I think is where we came in.
Hmm, we've had you use the terms in the vein of "embarrassing" now in PMs and here a few times. Well, maybe I'm just hard to embarrass (or at least I like to think so), at least maybe on behalf of others.

Having said that, I think I now understand better why you said "embarrassing." If you're using it in the sense that it wasn't a literal debate and mischaracterized as such, then I agree with you as to the mischaracterization. Also, since I felt everyone was almost always agreeing with everybody else on the panel - I don't think it can be termed validly a "debate." I'm almost tempted to say that the YouTube video had click-bait title except it wasn't really the title that misled but the hashtag type thingy marking it as a debate with the words "#ExtremismDebate."

Talking about depressing, take a look at Scimitar's latest reply to me. He's bright lad with occasional flashes of insight, but just look at the monumental level of misunderstanding I now have to respond to.
This you're going to have to handle on your own because you're all "speaking Greek" so-to-speak. Practically speaking, I have no knowledge of the field of philosophy. I'm sure I might have taken classes that touched on the subject but honestly I don't remember anything; I'm sure we even touched on subjects concerning legal philosophy in law school, but again, I don't remember anything. Anything at all. I got nothing. So, rather than prove to you that I'm an imbecile with my ignorance, I'll shut up very nicely - see, sometimes you do get what you wish for - and so you should believe in God *nods head eruditely* for who else could have granted you this dear wish. :D

Peace
Wishing you best wishes, and peace as well, :)

muslim brother
12-19-2016, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I'm still curious if this is going to be answered by OP:

the 2nd part
there is a dangerous trend in the u.k that the more anti...whatever you are ,the better muslim you are

czgibson
12-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Greetings,

Howdy, no problemo for the delay. Guitar eh?
Yes. Among other things, I am a rock and roll guitar player.

I disagree, and so did the atheists in the video once Imran corrected their understanding of it.
What do you mean, you disagree? The definition of induction (in the philosophical sense) is the same in every dictionary or encyclopedia. If you don't agree with it, then you have voluntarily abandoned the conversation, as you are now talking about some other concept that is only recognised by yourself and Imran.

It's useful, in some cases. I won't disagree, but it could be used badly too. I don't think you would disagree.
What is your point?

I know what induction is, when it is useful and when it's not.
Nothing you have written so far convinces me that this is true.

What I think you fail to address is exactly this: the inductive process is by its nature, uncertain. And thus, only a means by which one can navigate something they do not understand. Alongside the Deductive process and between these, scientists believe they can answer most questions, with a relative amount of certainty - the problem I have with that idea is that the very same scientists claim uncertainty in the next breath.
Scientists do not believe they can answer most questions with certainty; as I have already said, every aspect of science is permanently open to revision on finding better evidence.

Meh, We move on.
I'd like you to answer my questions: do you think science has been unsuccessful? are you saying scientists have done something wrong?

That's exactly what I said above - that between these two - the inductive and deductive, scientists think they can answer most questions with a relative amount of certainty - and then in the next, claim uncertainty... real quick. Probabilities to me are just something to muse over. Nothing worth taking as a belief.
What is wrong with expressing uncertainty? Scientists don't want to claim to know things if they don't have good supporting evidence.

Ofcourse, the abductive process is also problematic, given it's limitations, but I'm sure you will claim that this just fleshes in the methodology of the science for you. I will not disagree. But I will say, it's willfully painful a process, don't you think? I know Rome wasn't built in a day - but to invest in set of principled ideas that are in reality, only based on understanding probability factors? Certainty/Uncertainty?
It's very unclear what you're talking about. Yes, science can be difficult, and yes, it's imperfect. But it gets results. The fact that we are able to talk to each other on an internet forum like this is one example of the impressive progress that science is capable of.

There were many inductive leaps of logic on the way to the development of the computer, but because inductive arguments are uncertain, are you now going to stop using computers? Are you going to refuse medical treatment, which is almost entirely based on inductive logic?

Peace

muslim brother
12-19-2016, 03:58 PM
another observation is muslims nowadays always seem angry and uptight.
as if to have a sense of humour and just be sensible is some great sin or something.

today when we live in unprecedented times and challenges there is no need for a fatwa on everything.because there simply isnt
we need more common sense and a reliance on the mercy of allah.

we behave like aliens then moan
the moaning and victim industry is now huge and popular,

i wont join:inshallah

noraina
12-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Sometimes we can end up seeming very grey and, well, boring. As Muslims we should definitely have self-discipline and constantly keep a check on our behaviour, but that doesn't mean suppressing ourselves to the extent that we cut ourselves off from others.

Our own beloved Prophet :saws: was the most perfect of creation, and he would regularly communicate with and speak to others, he was very in touch with the thoughts and events happening around him while remaining firm to the tenants of the deen and that was key to the success of Islam in those early days.

I enjoy fine arts and calligraphy, and I see myself going into that in future inshaAllah. And I was told how it's an utterly useless thing to do and not something a Muslimah should get into. :D.

SubhanAllah....

Born_Believer
12-19-2016, 04:12 PM
the 2nd part
there is a dangerous trend in the u.k that the more anti...whatever you are ,the better muslim you are
I responded to you saying this: "by seeming to care only for certain issues and people and not for everyone

is that a correct assumption?"

I and others proved you wrong, so now the new point is there's apparently a trend. Ok, what is that trend, where is the evidence for it and have you carried out any research on such things? Also, can you show me where such a trend is unique to only Muslims?

muslim brother
12-19-2016, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I responded to you saying this: "by seeming to care only for certain issues and people and not for everyone

is that a correct assumption?"

I and others proved you wrong, so now the new point is there's apparently a trend. Ok, what is that trend, where is the evidence for it and have you carried out any research on such things? Also, can you show me where such a trend is unique to only Muslims?
no one proved me wrong.i had already started the positive muslim thread
https://www.islamicboard.com/family-...otivation.html
i have been researching and observing for 11 years..specifically u.k orgs and events.

listen to my interview .link under my posts.
i believe in balance ,praise where deserved and constructive criticism where needed.
and at 50 years of age ive been observing u.k and world events for over 30 years now.
when i was young the ira were in the news,and the iran v iraq war,
i can go on..

czgibson
12-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Search
This would be helpful if I talk to co-workers who could confirm as to your facial expressions and behavior and words when a male does show up late. :p Otherwise, I don't know what I'd do with you saying that. I'm not saying, by the way, that I don't believe you, but I certainly don't know if you're embarrassed literally on behalf of other males showing up late to the workplace.
To be clear: I wouldn't be embarrassed because they're male, but because they are fellow workers. If we have something we're supposed to be working on together, it's frustrating and embarrassing when people don't turn up on time.

Yes, I did gather that impression. Question: Have you watched debates in which Mehdi Hassan participated?
Yes. I think he's an awful debater and rather a horrible human being. He also believes Muhammad (pbuh) flew to heaven on a winged horse, and as you know that's the kind of thing that tends to make me question people's judgement.

I think he does a good job. He's almost as good as Douglas Murray, and despite the fact that I don't like the way Douglas Murray takes Islamophobic stances almost always, I do want to give credit where credit's due: He's an awesome debater.
Yes. He also has the considerable advantage of being right.

And last but not least, it would absolutely break my heart if some British dude despite my best efforts and show then wrote, "Where are all the intelligent Muslim debaters?" :p Haha.
You're certainly intelligent; you just believe a number of things that aren't true.

I should point out that there is an exception to my sweeping generalisation in that question: I have seen one Muslim debater on TV who didn't display stunning ignorance or malice. His name is Usama Hasan, and I remember being very impressed by an appearance he made on The Big Questions. I've found it; here it is. The contrast between his calm, informative approach and the much more typical shouting from two other Muslim guests is very noticeable. However, after watching this episode and mentioning Usama Hasan on the forum, I was told he is an innovator who deserves hell-fire. So there we go.

Simple. Islam as currently practiced while technically emerging from shariah (Islamic law) in terms of how to fast and pray and conduct ourselves in financial transactions is part of the practice that we Muslims do everyday is not the "shariah" (Islamic law) which immediately draws people's eyebrows up to their hairlines and scares non-Muslims into believing that we'll be chopping people's heads. And that part of shariah is not only completely inapplicable and inaccessible to anyone living in Britain,
Let's hope it stays that way.

British Muslims live under U.K. law, correct? So, how is shariah that most non-Muslim people think of even remotely relevant to discussion about extremism in Muslim communities? It's not.
I still don't understand why not. Sharia is a fundamental part of Islam; how can you seek to separate it out from the religion as a whole?

Also, for the record, I think Hamza should have expected questions about his previously stated positions elsewhere. (And I think he did, but he did not like it and felt a little defensive; I also expect that he didn't want to issue any public clarifications when his blog already has issued clarifications as he'd said.)
Is this some sort of defence? Perhaps he will learn from this: if he doesn't want people questioning him for saying stupid or hateful things, maybe he should stop saying stupid or hateful things?

You're going to make me repeat my eloquent words? :( In October 2015, there was heightened scrutiny of Muslims from the government, the press, and the public, and against the backdrop of this anti-Muslim climate, Peter questioning the Muslim panelists was inappropriate. He was there to discuss the main topic, not to verify the panelists' beliefs as to whether they are Islamists or not.
I've read your words again and again and I still don't see how his questions were inappropriate. What difference does the anti-Muslim climate make? Does that suddenly make certain questions off-limits? Why?

No, no, no, hey, you don't get away with that; I won't let you. I never said he was a bully. In fact, I went to great lengths to make clear that I don't think he was a bully or trying to bully the panelists; however, I do think his attempts at questioning were validly perceived as bullying by others on the same panel.
Haha! You must be a lawyer. :)

You don't think he's a bully, but you think it was right for his questioning to be described as bullying? Are you kidding?

I have a quibble with you: You made me open an online dictionary to look up "concatenation." :p
Hopefully in turn your comment here will cause people to look up the word "quibble"; it is an excellent word. :)

So, anyway, yes, both Muslims and non-Muslims have to be willing together for common causes, and one of the biggest common and unifying causes that I know is that we don't want to involve ourselves in more foreign affairs; this doesn't mean as a nation becoming an isolationist but that we strive to not meddle in other countries' affairs thinking we know best. Because here's a radical thought: Maybe we don't know best.
Good point.

Anyway, maybe working for a common cause on a large-scale doesn't change anything for the future of foreign affairs even if non-Muslim and Muslim communities work together, but it might just bring us enough closer together as communities so that we don't mistrust one and learn to see one another as human beings and let go of any residual tribal mindset;
Do you think this noble task might be made easier if the Qur'an didn't say things like: "O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and Christians as friends" (Qur'an 5:51) ?

However, it's not just because I'm an optimist that I'm warning you that the one to watch out for now in our time is not going to be Muslim extremists because their time has ended; with the Trump presidency, you can say in a manner of speaking a new era has been ushered, and the thing you'll now have to watch out for is right-wing politics and its dominance on the world stage; they'll be the one to now get us into any future trouble. Mark my words.
I fear you may be right. I'm terrified of what Trump and his ilk are about to do.

Tsk. Tsk. Hey, I really do believe that Angel Jibreel/Gabriel :as: dictated the answers to all life's questions to an illiterate merchant in the 7th century.
I continue to find it amazing that someone as intelligent as you could believe this.

And again, back to square one, are we not? (Why, why, why God! Okay, now, that I'm done with the histrionics! :p I can answer you.) I have told you time and again the answer to question for you to try to discover the answer is whether God exists, because all of your questions and unbelief stems comes from this first question. And therefore, we keep coming back to you again and again questioning possibilities of the unseen world. Again, the first question is: Does God exist? That's your life's question and mission in life to find out; so, please, off you go on a search expedition; I don't care how you go about this matter as long as you make the effort.
I think I've already expended enough effort in this quest, and you know the conclusion I've come to. I could easily say: "You'll never understand what I'm saying until you come to realise that atheism is true", but I don't do that because it's so unlikely to happen. Until either of us undergoes this change of mind, let's see if we can discuss matters on the basis of things we can agree on.

There are two parts to this very honest answer: 1) Religiously, I personally believe that Islam forbids gay marriage and for people to become transsexuals and allows polygamy. 2) In a secular setting, however, I cannot understand how and under what valid terms the state feels it can ban gay marriage, deprive transsexuals certain rights and liberties, and deny Mormons and Muslims and any other religion's adherents to practice polygamy.

So, while I cannot say that I support things forbidden in Islam, I can tell you that I'm a liberal for the reason that I do not politically support the state interfering in these matters because a secular society has no standing in my eyes to dictate in these matters.
This is more evidence of your legal training! I can't for the life of me see how what you've just said isn't straightforwardly self-contradictory.

So, rather than prove to you that I'm an imbecile with my ignorance, I'll shut up very nicely - see, sometimes you do get what you wish for - and so you should believe in God *nods head eruditely* for who else could have granted you this dear wish. :D
Very funny! :D

Peace

Born_Believer
12-20-2016, 09:02 PM
no one proved me wrong.i had already started the positive muslim thread
https://www.islamicboard.com/family-...otivation.html
i have been researching and observing for 11 years..specifically u.k orgs and events.

listen to my interview .link under my posts.
i believe in balance ,praise where deserved and constructive criticism where needed.
and at 50 years of age ive been observing u.k and world events for over 30 years now.
when i was young the ira were in the news,and the iran v iraq war,
i can go on..
No offence but what has what you just posted got to do with:

I asked you to show me the trend and provide the relevant information, where is it? For someone who has observedt he UK for so long, you don't half go out of your way to make generalisations.

Search
12-20-2016, 09:21 PM

Greetings,

To be clear: I wouldn't be embarrassed because they're male, but because they are fellow workers. If we have something we're supposed to be working on together, it's frustrating and embarrassing when people don't turn up on time.
Yes. I think he's an awful debater and rather a horrible human being. He also believes Muhammad (pbuh) flew to heaven on a winged horse, and as you know that's the kind of thing that tends to make me question people's judgement.
Really - what debates have you been watching of his? And why would you think he's a horrible human being? I don't understand. Do you know something I don't know?

Well, as to the last comment, so, what I can surmise from this last comment is that if you were living in Elizabethan era, and a fellow man expressed to you that one day some human beings might travel to the moon, your comment to him would have been something like, “Your brain is as dry as the remainder biscuit after voyage.” And yet if that exchange was recorded, we would discover that the person who was incorrect to have made the "brain" comment was the one who should have perhaps reserved review of his own.

Why do I say this? Because this event would have been part of the future in which you would had not lived to be able to say with any definite way that this definitely could not happen. Yet you would have denied it anyway without evidence because you had personally not seen it happen.

In that same way, Prophet Muhammad :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) traveling on a winged horse is part of the unseen reality to which we didn't bear witness, and yet you deny it based on no evidence except your own lack of witnessing. Wouldn't it be better if you said that you didn't know either way? Just because something "seems" impossible to you doesn't mean that it is factually impossible.

I admit this is an Islamic belief and one to which I didn't bear witness but just because a person holds a specific belief does not mean that person's judgment is clouded or questionable for the following reasons which will become clear to you in a moment:

This might seem weird to say, but think: You are a product of your parents having copulated (yes, beyond icky for us to think of parents copulating but here's to moving on), yet you didn't bear witness to your own conception. So, how do you know that you are in fact the son of your parents? Did you ask at any time your parents to present you your birth certificate for verification purposes as to knowing that you are their son? How do you know you are not adopted? Yet I imagine you accepting being born the son of your parents at face value. Yet what real evidence have you of this belief? What about any sibling of yours - even if you, for example, have been able to verify that you're the son of your parents, how can you say for a fact that any sibling of your is also your biological sibling? Have you seen the birth certificate? How do you know at least the sibling wasn't adopted?

I have listed my religion on IB as a Muslim and my gender as female. And yet, yet, I have already told you that I could be an obese tattooed Buddhist man eating another bag of chips even as I write this and you wouldn't know the difference. Yes, yes, *rolls eyes* I remember you made the comment about my garrulousness as proof of me being female ("very funny" to quote your own words), but really, I could just be the talkative man who pretends to be a female Muslim. Maybe I'm just a bored obese tattooed Buddhist man who's been funning you all this time. What's your real proof for the belief that I'm female and I'm a Muslim. Because I say so or my profile says so? That's no evidence. That's hogwash. Essentially, you "believe" something of me of which you can have no possible personal knowledge, no proof, no real idea.

Did you know in 2015 in Canada, Nick Williams lifted off a very heavy four-wheel vehicle off of a boy trapped underneath? Science is still studying this phenomena of superhuman strength that can lead people to perform these types of feats. And yet an Internet newspaper that covered this story reported on the story afterward. Also, I think I can safely say you have personally neither interviewed nor examined or witnessed any part of this miraculous event. Yet if you had read this story in your news feed in 2015, you'd believe every word without actual evidence that any of what was reported was true. Just because an Internet newspaper reported it. How many stories then, do you know, in real life do you read in newspapers or media that you accept without personal verification because you trust the source?

Also, graduate student David Markowitz searched the archives of PubMed, a database of life sciences journals, from 1973 to 2013 for retracted papers. They identified 253, primarily from biomedical journals, that were retracted for documented fraud due to falsified data. And yet when these papers were first published, you personally might have found no reason to suspect that these papers were in fact frauds. So, really, how many scientific findings and science data do you have full access to verify on a personal basis so that you can determine is true and accurate on more than belief? I imagine not many. So, again, you believe things that you cannot personally verify because you trust the source.

My IB friend, theists and atheists are not so different. You hold a great many beliefs of which you may have no personal avenue to verify except to take on trust, yet you fail to scrutinize these beliefs and do not question your own judgment. That's because you have learned to not think of them as "beliefs," yet by any dictionary's definition that's what they are: Beliefs. Therefore, if you're going to question people's judgment, perhaps you should first start with your own.

Yes. He also has the considerable advantage of being right.
In what world is he right? Yours, my IB friend? I live in the same world, and I see that he's not right. He fans anti-Muslim bigotry. I have personally read enough of his The Spectator articles to recognize that. In his world, there are villains, and they are almost always Muslims and almost never non-Muslims. If this kind of tribal mindset had been found in a Muslim, you'd probably have had no qualms about calling that person perhaps an extremist, a radical, or an Islamist. However, because you find this mindset in a fellow educated man, in your eyes, he has the "considerable advantage of being right" because he's doing this on the subject of Islam, which by the way is nowadays such an easy target in the media and public sphere that his doing so is no longer even avant-garde. Did I not tell you once that intelligence does not inoculate people against prejudice? He's a great debater, but that's where my praise ends for him.

Also, his opinions were considerably influenced by Ayan Hirsi Ali, a woman who is a vitriolic ex-Muslim. May I just ask if you've ever stopped to think in your life as to how many people in real life you know who have all and only good things to say about their exes? Exes are exes for a reason. Relationships and religion are not so dissimilar in that respect. Similarly, she left the religion because it did not suit her for whatever reasons; that doesn't mean that she's objectively right only about Islam. Nor is he.

Let me share a funny yet sad story: Do you know when I was 7-years old, my sister loved eating chicken? However, due to this, I'd notice that the chicken my mom cooked in our home would run out of chicken legs fairly quickly. So, realizing my sibling was eating some of the chicken legs contributing to this general lack, I informed her that chicken still had leftover blood and veins and opened the chicken I'd had on my plate then to show her how the juiciness could possibly be due to both. Well, I never lacked for chicken legs from then onward. Years later, I fessed up to having done that. The result: She still doesn't eat chicken.

I'd warped "chicken" for her, though of course there is nothing objectively wrong with cooked chicken; and I think if you've been listening to some persons who are prone to take Islamophobic stances, they'll have warped "Islam" for you too.

You're certainly intelligent; you just believe a number of things that aren't true.
I'm intelligent Masha-Allah (as God-willed) and that's why I don't limit intelligence to that being which I can only experience with my five senses.

I should point out that there is an exception to my sweeping generalisation in that question: I have seen one Muslim debater on TV who didn't display stunning ignorance or malice. His name is Usama Hasan, and I remember being very impressed by an appearance he made on The Big Questions. I've found it; here it is. The contrast between his calm, informative approach and the much more typical shouting from two other Muslim guests is very noticeable. However, after watching this episode and mentioning Usama Hasan on the forum, I was told he is an innovator who deserves hell-fire. So there we go.
Unfortunately, one of the disadvantages of being an American is that I am unfamiliar with most U.K. personalities. Therefore, I wikied the man. And I still wasn't able to understand why an individual should think he deserves to be put in Hell-fire. I then went through Google searches and discovered that he works for the Quilliam Foundation. Perhaps that's why Muslims may have an unfavorable opinion of him.

For the record though, I should tell you that no person knows for a fact which human being actually "deserves" Hell-fire. For even all I know, you're the one destined for Paradise and I may not be so (God forbid that it happen that I not be so and InshaAllah (God-willing) we're both destined for Paradise as hopefully you'll one day be a believer also as anything can happen), and only Allah judges and knows; I don't, you don't, nor does anyone else. Similarly, this man, whatever perceived faults he has, is one on whom only God can pass judgment and decide what he deserves; and know that any time human beings speak for God in this respect, they are just trying to cope with their frustration by making the person a target of their opinions of what he/she deserves when the fact is that even they don't know and will never know.

Let's hope it stays that way.
I'm sure I've said this before but one day I believe the world will be unified under a figure called Mahdi :as: (peace be upon him) who will have emerged to correct the injustices of the world and bring back mercy and hope wherein before there'd been hopelessness and despair reigning instead due to nuclear warfare having wiped entire nations. From what I understand, at that time, on earth, there won't be many people remaining on the earth. After Dajjal (Anti-Christ) is destroyed with the Second Coming of Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him), the rule at that time from God's Will will be Heavenly rule with Islam for all people, though no one has specifics as to the information. During that time, the secrets of the Qur'an will have been opened generally so that those people would be living in a Miraculous Age.

I'm sure this all sounds like some fantasy to you, but the reason I'm telling you this is because you implied that you didn't want the criminal penalties of statutory law of shariah to ever be applicable in U.K.; so, while I cannot say what type of shariah (Islamic law) will exist in the world as you know that Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) was an Orthodox Jew whom God had favored to be born without a father but is identified as a Muslim in Islamic theology because he'd been one who'd submitted to God in his own Time and Mahdi :as: will be a Muslim from birth reigning as a ruler in the Miraculous Age, I do know that secularism at that time will not exist.

And regardless of whether you think this will happen or not, I hope you realize that all of us - purple, brown, white, black, yellow - in the end just want a government that is just and merciful and good and literally "for the people" accountable "to the people" and therefore the type of governance should not matter and only that it is "by the people."

I still don't understand why not. Sharia is a fundamental part of Islam; how can you seek to separate it out from the religion as a whole?
You have misunderstood. I do not parse or separate it as a whole from the religion. However, what I'm trying to tell you is the following: Shariah (Islamic law) is only part positive statutory law comprising of penalties but mostly as a bulk comprises of meeting everyday needs of Muslims such as how to pray 5 daily prayers, how to marry or divorce, how to do business dealings, how to fast, how to raise children, etc. This means that while already Muslims practice shariah (Islamic law) in Western countries in their everyday affairs, the part of the shariah - criminal penalties - that scares non-Muslims and perhaps even you is not something which Muslims are needed to practice in Western countries as that's necessarily the domain of only a true unified and accepted Islamic State wherein the state and religion are the one and the same. Therefore, asking questions about criminal penalties within shariah to Muslims panelists or hosts is an exercise in futility for the reasons that Muslims can only conjecture as to how criminal penalties will be exercised in a hypothetical Islamic State, Muslims are not looking to bring in those criminal penalties in Western countries, and a connection cannot be made between Muslims practicing shariah and then subverting state's interests because the Muslim majority already do practice shariah - fasting, praying, marrying, financial dealings - peacefully in Western countries even as citizens today.

Is this some sort of defence? Perhaps he will learn from this: if he doesn't want people questioning him for saying stupid or hateful things, maybe he should stop saying stupid or hateful things?
I think you and I will have to disagree on what's "hateful" and "stupid" then. For example, one of the other comments on which Peter said Hamza had made was about apostasy being punishable by death. As you may remember, you and I've already had debates about this topic. Already, you know, for example, in the U.S., treason and murder are punishable by death. I've already told you that I supported death penalty as an atheist by virtue of being an American, and, now, as a Muslim I still support capital punishment. I've already told you that I do not find vigilante justice or violence acceptable but that I find it completely within the domain and right of the state to execute a person that it considers has committed treason or murder. I've already told you that I do not and have never liked Daesh. And I've already told you that a true Islamic State would not be anything like Daesh or even a Khomeini's Iran; however, I've also told you that I do find that in a true Islamic State wherein religion and the state are the one and the same, it is expected that the state would execute any person who would be seen as a security threat because not doing so would undermine the state and national interests. I've also told you that given the requirements for execution to take place on such a person, the likelihood of that occurrence becomes virtually improbable. And I've also told you that a person who does not like this rule in a true Islamic State would also be free to escape the state's jurisdiction by living in self-imposed exile. If you think, for example, that capital punishment is wrong (as I know you do), then you should also then feel free first to start with asking U.S. to remove that penalty altogether. However, you should know that despite international pressure and human rights organizations' pressure, U.S. has maintained the death penalty and shows no signs of wanting to do away with that punishment; and now more so than ever, since right wing politics has gained dominance in the U.S., I see no chance of that happening either. So, you should ask yourself then why Britain allies itself with this "hateful" and "stupid" country; and then you should ask yourself why in Britain the people who are asked to reject this as a penalty as a belief are only Muslims who don't even have a Islamic State whereas U.S. who already has this punishment and has executed already 20 people in 2016 is able to send leaders to Britain and ask Britain instead to do its bidding in foreign affairs of which non-Muslims too are both wary and weary when instead Britain's own contemporary ideological values are against this "hateful" and "stupid" idea of U.S.

You're going to make me repeat my eloquent words? In October 2015, there was heightened scrutiny of Muslims from the government, the press, and the public, and against the backdrop of this anti-Muslim climate, Peter questioning the Muslim panelists was inappropriate. He was there to discuss the main topic, not to verify the panelists' beliefs as to whether they are Islamists or not.
I've read your words again and again and I still don't see how his questions were inappropriate. What difference does the anti-Muslim climate make? Does that suddenly make certain questions off-limits? Why?
Let's imagine you are teaching as a college professor and are now invited as a panelist on a discussion forum after the college has just found out that one of your colleagues, another professor, a middle-aged male, raped a female student on campus. Now, everyone's concerned about this horrifying event and it's garnered all sorts of negative publicity. The forum has been set up by the college for good publicity and also to ensure that no rape happens to any female on campus. You're all there to discuss this horrifying event and issue and then give your input. As panelists, you've all been having a robust discussion. Suddenly, one of the female panelists, a colleague and another professor, turns to you and asks, "Have you ever been attracted to a female student?" And then not satisfied with that, she then turns to all the other male panelists, her being the lone female on the panel, and says she is now posing this question to all her fellow panelists while the audience watches.

Now, here's the problem: First and foremost, the panel has not congregated there to discuss all the male professors themselves nor has it congregated there to discuss you ever having been or not having been attracted to a female student. However, let's even say you had once developed an attraction to a female student - so what? If that attraction never led you to cross any ethical or legal boundaries, what does that question do for you or anyone on the panel except to crucify you or others? How is that relevant to a middle-aged professor having raped a female student on campus? Does you answering the question or not prove anything as to this issue? What is the answer's probative value to the discussion? The two are not remotely related by any stretch of the imagination. Therefore, the question that the female panelist posed can validly be said to be irrelevant and inappropriate; and the reasons for that is that posing that question in that venue and atmosphere was irresponsible. She might have had her concerns due to being shaken with this unfortunate incident; but that was neither the place nor the time nor her right to question you all in that venue because now instead of discussing the topic her diverging from the main topic into asking those questions leaves the entire panelists vulnerable to potential attack as to your name, reputation, and career and all this for no crime of your own should you answer in any way that can be misinterpreted. And there's even the chance that should you answer no, you might still not be believed; therefore, this question should not have been posed at all. Instead, the scope of the discussion should have, out of circumspection and self-modulation, been limited to the crime itself and the solutions to prevent females from becoming vulnerable to any sexual assaults on campus. Let's say, however, you and other male panelists say to her that you would not subject yourselves to this interrogation and have managed to not answer - well, all I can think is that's good - because the line of questioning was inappropriate.

Haha! You must be a lawyer.
Right you are, boyo!

You don't think he's a bully, but you think it was right for his questioning to be described as bullying? Are you kidding?
Let me ask you something: Who determines or decides what your (extra emphasis on the "your") feelings are - you or someone else? The answer is you.

So, say, for example, you are in a restaurant with your girlfriend. You're both discussing an issue you'll have been having in the relationship, and your girlfriend says, "How can you say that? That doesn't make sense." And a waiter has just come to your table. You feel disrespected with her address. But when you discuss the issue with your girlfriend at home, she apologizes and says she hadn't intended to disrespect you. Let's believe her that didn't intend to disrespect you.

Does that change the fact that you felt disrespected at the time of her saying those words to you? The answer is no.

So, similarly, that should tell you a person can intend to not bully a person nor be seen as a bully by an observer and yet have the other person still have felt bullied at the time of a specific incident. Because the other person decides his perception of the specific incident as it pertains to himself at the time of the incident when it's happening; that person may later change his mind or not, but that still does not change the fact of his then-existing perception of what had happened.

Good point.

Anyway, maybe working for a common cause on a large-scale doesn't change anything for the future of foreign affairs even if non-Muslim and Muslim communities work together, but it might just bring us enough closer together as communities so that we don't mistrust one and learn to see one another as human beings and let go of any residual tribal mindset;
Do you think this noble task might be made easier if the Qur'an didn't say things like: "O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and Christians as friends" (Qur'an 5:51) ?
Do you think this noble task might be easier if people didn't quote-mine and understood verses in context? Tell me what's the most intimate relationship that exists. I don't know about you, but I think the most intimate is a spousal relationship (i.e. marriage). Isn't that relationship more intimate physically, spiritually, mentally than a friendship between two persons? And yet we understand from another verse ("And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers (Muslims) and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before you" in Qur'an 5:5) that a Muslim man is allowed to marry a Jewish or Christian woman if he so chooses. We can then surmise simply using logic without even using exegesis known in Arabic as "tafsir" that the former verse has probably context and detail, information which would clarify holistically what this verse connotes because obviously its literal meaning makes no sense given the other verse.

Also, let me tell you another funny story that I find funny primarily because of its supreme irony pivoting on a person's blind spot:
Sam Harris had said in the past that he thinks Qur'an's literal readings are fine and he expects divine texts to not require contexts for clarification as they should be clear enough on their own due to divine authorship. That's been his position, though I do understand he has since written a book with Maajid Nawaz giving Maajid Nawaz in that book an opportunity to give in-context readings of the same texts even though in his own previous releases and statements on Islam he'd not done that himself.

Yet in a blog post titled "On the Mechanics of Defamation" in October 2014 Sam Harris has said that his critic Reza Aslan was in wrong to say that he was a "genocidal fascist maniac" in a retweet that held both a scary picture of him and a quote out of context from his own book, "Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them." So, in his blog post, he highlighted the passage from his book in its entirety to ensure that his readers and fans do not misunderstand and again talked about how wrong it was for people to deliberately misinterpret or misrepresent his views.

However, in another blog post titled "True Believers," Sam Harris says the following in March 2015: "I grant that there are many possible readings of the Qur’an and the hadīth. There’s simply no question that many different traditions have emphasized one reading or another. All I argue is that there are more or less plausible, more or less straightforward, more or less comprehensive readings of any scripture. And the most plausible, straightforward, and comprehensive readings tend to be the more literalistic, no matter how self-contradictory the text. So, for instance, when it says in the Qur’an (8:12), 'Smite the necks of the infidels,' some people may read that metaphorically, but it’s always tempting to read it literally. In fact, a line like that fairly cries out for a literal reading."

Huh.

I fear you may be right. I'm terrified of what Trump and his ilk are about to do.
All I'll say is that we all need to get out of our echo chambers if we're going to try to be on the right side of history.

Tsk. Tsk. Hey, I really do believe that Angel Jibreel/Gabriel dictated the answers to all life's questions to an illiterate merchant in the 7th century.
I continue to find it amazing that someone as intelligent as you could believe this.
Maybe you'll one day join me in amazement that the unseen world is as real as the seen world and that we should take into account both to profit here and hereafter.

I think I've already expended enough effort in this quest, and you know the conclusion I've come to. I could easily say: "You'll never understand what I'm saying until you come to realise that atheism is true", but I don't do that because it's so unlikely to happen. Until either of us undergoes this change of mind, let's see if we can discuss matters on the basis of things we can agree on.
Uh-uh, you can't renege on our deal - that's sacrilege I do declare in any friendship: Remember we in our early PMs discussed you having patience with me and willingness to work with me to get you there to the other side. 18 years you'd tried to give being Catholic a chance; you'll give me at least almost as much as 18 years. I insist. Fair's fair. Deal's a deal.

And hey, I've been all over the spectrum: I was a believer in some personal God in early childhood, an atheist since my early teens and then since junior year of college tending to be "spiritual" atheist and then tending towards agnosticism and then moving more towards uncertainty to feeling more open to the possibility of mysteries in the universe and then accepting in my heart to be a Muslim one year after I'd graduated college and then being a practicing Muslim ever since. And then I lived happily-ever-after - well, almost, since this isn't a fairy-tale but in all honesty if it's as good as it gets, I'm still content.

So, in practical terms, I have already been an atheist. And just because I am no longer an atheist doesn't mean that I don't understand from where you're coming as a person who's still an atheist. I just happen to disagree with you just as I disagree with my former self.

And anyway, since "caring is sharing" or so kindergartners are always taught, I'm trying to share. So, you'll appreciate :p - thank you, dear British sir.

So, while I cannot say that I support things forbidden in Islam, I can tell you that I'm a liberal for the reason that I do not politically support the state
interfering in these matters because a secular society has no standing in my eyes to dictate in these matters.
This is more evidence of your legal training! I can't for the life of me see how what you've just said isn't straightforwardly self-contradictory.
Lol. What matters in the end, my friend, is that I don't see it as contradictory. :)

So, rather than prove to you that I'm an imbecile with my ignorance, I'll shut up very nicely - see, sometimes you do get what you wish for - and so you should believe in God *nods head eruditely* for who else could have granted you this dear wish.
Very funny!
Well, what can I say. We all have our skills. You play the guitar. And I don't even have to play at making you grin. ;)

Peace
Wishing you awesomeness, :)

muslim brother
12-22-2016, 02:21 PM
another observation is muslims nowadays always seem angry and uptight.
as if to have a sense of humour and just be sensible is some great sin or something.

today when we live in unprecedented times and challenges there is no need for a fatwa on everything.because there simply isnt
we need more common sense and a reliance on the mercy of allah.

we behave like aliens then moan
the moaning and victim industry is now huge and popular,

i wont join:inshallah
just read the most popular muslim orgs in the u.k.
i wonder if our pious predecessors moaned so much every single day and carried such a victim mentality

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.