/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Writing Competition - Winner Announced!

Scimitar
01-08-2017, 10:17 PM

:salamext: and greetings.

This thread is for all comments and discussion regarding this years writing contest.

The entries and voting options are HERE

This year we had 7 entries, Allahu Akbar. I thnk that's the most we have ever had.

Please do have a read, vote, and then offer your comments in this thread as I'm sure the writers, having spent time writing their stories for you, would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Thank you, and get reading and voting and commenting!

Scimi

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
01-08-2017, 11:05 PM
و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

:jz: brother scimitar for hosting this year's contest. You have done a great job.

:ma:, seven entries this time! We will need some time to read them all. How long should we keep the voting open? I guess one month would be sufficient?

Scimitar
01-08-2017, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

:jz: brother scimitar for hosting this year's contest. You have done a great job.
Wa iyyakum,

It was an honour to be host for this competition. Honestly, the pleasure is mine.

:ma:, seven entries this time! We will need some time to read them all. How long should we keep the voting open? I guess one month would be sufficient?
I set the vote option up for two weeks, but please do feel free to extend that to a month in sha Allah. Wasn't too sure how long to keep votes open for. But yes, a month seems ample enough.

Scimi

aamirsaab
01-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Could we get a mass e-mail sent out to all members regarding the contest? Jazak'allah kheir.

Also, 7 entries?! Incredible! And so varied too!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
01-08-2017, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Could we get a mass e-mail sent out to all members regarding the contest? Jazak'allah kheir.
That's a good idea. :ia: we'll send one soon.

noraina
01-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I've just finished reading through them all. So many genres and styles of writing ma'sha'Allah.

It honestly doesn't take long to read through them all, it took me around 30 minutes, and it's definitely worth it.

I liked them all so much, can't wait to discuss them inshaAllah.

To begin with, I 'The King Without the Crown' is written in the style of those age-old fables I read so much as a child, really has that nostalgic fairy-tale like feel to it.

And 'Rusty' is completely difference, a sci-fi story through and through, I liked the Muslim twist to it.

Scimitar
01-10-2017, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Wa alaykum assalam,

I've just finished reading through them all. So many genres and styles of writing ma'sha'Allah.
me too, I just finished them all. I got up to reading Rusty last night, and stopped there - there was a lot to process. So I thought I'd take a break, before I moved onto the final two. And yes, what varied writing styles, mashaAllah.

It honestly doesn't take long to read through them all, it took me around 30 minutes, and it's definitely worth it.
You're right, doesn't take long at all. I have this thing I do, where I stop and let my imagination fill in the details I see fit into the scene, and when I feel satisfied, I carry on reading. Takes longer, but is more enjoyable.

I liked them all so much, can't wait to discuss them inshaAllah.
IB Book Club (hint)

To begin with, I 'The King Without the Crown' is written in the style of those age-old fables I read so much as a child, really has that nostalgic fairy-tale like feel to it.
I really did enjoy that one a lot, it was very classical.

And 'Rusty' is completely difference, a sci-fi story through and through, I liked the Muslim twist to it.
I really enjoyed Rusty. A Muslimah Deunan Knute - I didn't see that one coming. This story had me gripped from the start, as I am a bit of a sci-fi fan lol, especially the mecha sub genre. If you don't know what I am talking about, check out Appleseed Ex Machina. This story, Rusty, is worthy of another few parts. Yes, I'm left wanting more... those goggles were left blinking faintly. There's more, I know it.

Ghoul was really engrossing, but I'm not a fan of the genre. Having said that, i did read and I did enjoy. The dialogue was dark and full of intent which made me uneasy. I guess that is the desired effect for horror fans though, so in that sense a job well done.

Blank Paper was interesting to read. First person story telling is always hard to pull off. Takes a lot of internalising to know how to paint the scene in when it's just one voice doing everything in the narrative, but I have to say, the attempt was decent and for that, I liked it.

The King without a Crown, as I mentioned, this is classical story telling which is fading fast in this world of film, pop art and pfft... this story has the charm which appeals to all ages, in all times. A triumph in itself, as the story is one I've not actually read before, nor been told before. And one, I will definitely be telling my Nieces and Nephews in sha Allah.

Human Life is Very Precious. I was a little wary reading this, as it is a true story. So when I finished, I sat and had a long think. And in some ways, I haven't stopped. That's a compliment. Thought provoking stories are always welcome sustenance for both, the mind and heart.

Tom. What can I say, as short and silly as this was, I loved it. Like it was written by a seven year old for his five year old sister, a story about their Sunday afternoon playing imagination in the garden... for what it's worth, it's a little gem :)

Emotional Abyss was very different, not sure what the author intended here but it had a weirdness to it I think some might enjoy.

Scimi

Akeyi
01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Crown one was stupid how can a king doesn't know that he doesn't have a crown. IT IS STUPID So i didn't read the rest of them after i read that he didn't know that he didn't have a crown.

And second short one. What should that one be ? It is a poetisch stupidness. Most uneducated man from iran can say that what you wrote is an insult to all texts.

I could not find a mistake in third one because it was too boring i could not read it. But while scrolling down i saw enough mistakes like And i wait and wait and wait . How unlogic is that ?

I WONT CONTINUE

JUST DELETE HUGE BANNER IN THE HOME PAGE. PEOPLE WILL CLICK AND SEE HOW UNTALENTED THIS TEXTS ARE AND HOW LOW LOGICLESS TEXT HERE:

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Expect heavy neg rep for being an a hole

noraina
01-11-2017, 01:08 PM
The problem with your 'review', is that it's not even constructive criticism. Unless you can write Shakespearean-level timeless masterpieces blindfolded I wouldn't accept that kind of feedback from anyone, and probably not even then. You've actually just shown how little you know about writing.

btw brother Scimi, that was a great review of all the stories :jz:

Scimitar
01-12-2017, 01:27 PM
I'd like to read some more replies/reviews/opinions.

Come on people, get your socks on.

Scimi

Scimitar
01-12-2017, 01:30 PM
VOTING IS FREE,

Please Vote for your favourite story, the members who participated in this years writing competition have spent many an hour writing for your pleasure. Please show them which story you loved most by voting at the top of this thread (poll option)

Thank you, lovely peoples.

Scimi

sister herb
01-12-2017, 01:54 PM
I liked "Tom". It was so cute and like children would tell it. Also easy to read. Some stories are quite long and full of words I need to check from the dictionary. (Good thing as I learn some new words at the same time. The word "murmur" sounds funny.)

I need to read them few times more, I think. Long stories are hard to understand if reading them only once and fast.

ardianto
01-12-2017, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I'd like to read some more replies/reviews/opinions.

Come on people, get your socks on.

Scimi
I haven't finished reading complete entries. Also I need time to write the reviews.

*charisma*
01-12-2017, 06:11 PM
VOTING IS FREE,

Please Vote for your favourite story, the members who participated in this years writing competition have spent many an hour writing for your pleasure. Please show them which story you loved most by voting at the top of this thread (poll option)

Thank you, lovely peoples.

Scimi
I think in the future we should have a rubric. I haven't read any of the stories yet but I'm thinking how would I make a choice? Someone may write better than someone else in terms of word choice, flow, etc. But someone else's storyline may be better overall, or character development is stronger. :skeleton: Am I thinking too much into this? :facepalm:

Zeal
01-12-2017, 08:26 PM
I liked the first one alot, maybe the wisdom of @Kiro or some of the other wise folk on the forum, though so far I've only read three and they were all very profound in there own unique way, i'm excited to read the rest

Scimitar
01-12-2017, 10:14 PM
That's the thing, you decide which story is your favourite and why,

Of course, I am unable to tell you which is my fave because I am host

Akeyi
01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
nice no one votes except some people

imaybe people ar thinking that this texts are not nice
or they arethinking that reading some fiction useless thing is waste of one of the most valueable things time

Scimitar
01-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Akeyi, the irony is that the writing competition is for people who want to improve their writing skills... and from what I can tell of your English, you need it.

As usual, many things pass by you because of your ignorance.

Scimi

Edit: if you've got nothing constructive to add - don't post. This thread is NOT about you.

Scimitar
01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
REMINDER:

Voting ends in a few days (unless a Mod or Admin can edit my OP and extend til the end of the month)

Please do have a read (click here for the thread with the stories and voting poll), vote, and then offer your comments in this thread you are reading - as I'm sure the writers, having spent time writing their stories for you, would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

SO GET VOTING in sha Allah.

Scimi

Muezzin
01-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Would be a great idea to extend the poll deadline inshallah

Such a great variety this year mashallah. As I have entered the contest, I will post feedback after voting has ended so as to keep my entry secret inshallah. If you have not already, please do take the time to read and vote (and hopefully leave some constructive feedback, as that's extremely valuable to all entrants :))

AabiruSabeel
01-20-2017, 03:58 AM
We have extended the deadline for voting on the poll. Everyone, please share the link far and wide. We need more votes.

greenhill
01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
First and foremost, well done to those who have entered. I cannot like your composition as it would be Scimi getting the likes Ha ha ha..

Reading is something I really have to be in the mood for…. if not it can be painful.. he he . . . but I have voted (finally, took me long enough to start reading).

Finally, a toast to the Host! Scimi!!!!!!!!!

:peace:

AabiruSabeel
01-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Finally got the time to read all the entries. :ma:, each one of them is unique on its own. I am unable to decide which one to vote for.

As for the review, I cannot say anything better than what brother Scimitar has already written earlier,

I really enjoyed Rusty. A Muslimah Deunan Knute - I didn't see that one coming. This story had me gripped from the start, as I am a bit of a sci-fi fan lol, especially the mecha sub genre. If you don't know what I am talking about, check out Appleseed Ex Machina. This story, Rusty, is worthy of another few parts. Yes, I'm left wanting more... those goggles were left blinking faintly. There's more, I know it.

Ghoul was really engrossing, but I'm not a fan of the genre. Having said that, i did read and I did enjoy. The dialogue was dark and full of intent which made me uneasy. I guess that is the desired effect for horror fans though, so in that sense a job well done.

Blank Paper was interesting to read. First person story telling is always hard to pull off. Takes a lot of internalising to know how to paint the scene in when it's just one voice doing everything in the narrative, but I have to say, the attempt was decent and for that, I liked it.

The King without a Crown, as I mentioned, this is classical story telling which is fading fast in this world of film, pop art and pfft... this story has the charm which appeals to all ages, in all times. A triumph in itself, as the story is one I've not actually read before, nor been told before. And one, I will definitely be telling my Nieces and Nephews in sha Allah.

Human Life is Very Precious. I was a little wary reading this, as it is a true story. So when I finished, I sat and had a long think. And in some ways, I haven't stopped. That's a compliment. Thought provoking stories are always welcome sustenance for both, the mind and heart.

Tom. What can I say, as short and silly as this was, I loved it. Like it was written by a seven year old for his five year old sister, a story about their Sunday afternoon playing imagination in the garden... for what it's worth, it's a little gem :)

Emotional Abyss was very different, not sure what the author intended here but it had a weirdness to it I think some might enjoy.

Scimi
I will have to think over them twice or thrice before actually casting a vote.

Muhaba
01-22-2017, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
First and foremost, well done to those who have entered. I cannot like your composition as it would be Scimi getting the likes Ha ha ha..

Reading is something I really have to be in the mood for…. if not it can be painful.. he he . . . but I have voted (finally, took me long enough to start reading).

Surely he deserves to get something in return for all the hard work :haha:

Scimitar
01-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Your thanks are enough.

Guys - get voting in the main thread please - time is ticking.

Scimi

piXie
01-22-2017, 05:01 PM
We don't do the toast thing :unsure:

greenhill
01-22-2017, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
We don't do the toast thing
Ha ha.. Had a feeling someone might 'pick up' on this…

Scimitar
01-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Assalaam alaikum all,

we are now in the last few days of this competition, and we've only had 11 votes so far.

Now, I know you all love stories, and you're all readers of forums. So why not take a few mins to visit the thread, read The Stories And Vote for your favourite,

Once again, the thread is here: https://www.islamicboard.com/creativ...ng-thread.html

There is a VOTE option at the top of the thread, but know that it is not visible on mobile devices - so use a computer/laptop please.

The members who participated, spent their time on these stories. They are really really good. MashaAllah, Islamicboard is blessed with so much talent, and it's time we recognised this talent and voted for the story we liked the most.

Less than a week to go now, and closing. So please, please do get reading the stories, they do not take long at all to read. And please, DO VOTE.

Again, here is the thread for voting: https://www.islamicboard.com/creativ...ng-thread.html

If you have any comments or critique - do not post in the main story and vote thread, but do it here instead, in sha Allah.

Thank you for listening/reading, and your votes.

Scimi

AabiruSabeel
01-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Why do we have to vote for only one? I think, next year onward, we can allow multiple selection up to 3 best entries. Because I feel I am not doing justice with the other really good stories by not being able to vote for them. It was a very difficult choice to select one out of the best three that I liked.

piXie
01-25-2017, 02:53 PM
:sl:

I think Ghoul , Rusty and Blank Paper were the best written stories Maa shaa Allaah. Lots of talent, thought and hard work put in there - but the theme wasn't something I'd be as interested in reading. If the story line was more clear or coupled with a moral - or it was about something more relevant to real life - I would have enjoyed reading them more.. :)

Scimitar
01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Why do we have to vote for only one?
least you got a vote.

I have a favourite, but am not allowed to vote due to being host. That really sucks. lol.

Scimi

Muhaba
01-26-2017, 07:43 PM
I was thinking of starting a writing workshop -to teach creative writing (if the members are interested and administration allows it). It would be a paid service of course, maybe something that VIP members could get or regular members could pay to take part in - and get VIP membership as an added bonus. Let me know if you're interested in something like that.

Scimitar
01-26-2017, 07:52 PM
There are forums where people can learn to better their writing skills, for free. Why would a member pay for something if they can get it for free?

Here, check it out: http://learningpath.org/articles/20_...e_Writers.html <- that's a list of twenty forums where one can join for free and learn how to better their art.

Scimi

Muhaba
01-26-2017, 07:58 PM
There are forums where people can learn to better their writing skills, for free. Why would a member pay for something if they can get it for free?

Here, check it out: http://learningpath.org/articles/20_...e_Writers.html <- that's a list of twenty forums where one can join for free and learn how to better their art.

Scimi
not everything free is good enough.

Scimitar
01-26-2017, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhaba
not everything free is good enough.
True, but with 20 forums to choose from, and a wealth of experienced writers who are actually published, offering advice for free - makes paying for it, a waste of money.

I'm reminded of when I wanted to learn how to study "comparatives"... I could have paid as an adult student and gone to university - but instead, I watched loads of youtube lectures and got my nose stuck into case studies which were available online. All that was free.

Today, I can hold my own in comparatives, Allahu Akbar... and I saved a pretty penny too. Our Lord, is Most Generous.

Scimi

Muhaba
01-26-2017, 08:22 PM
True, but with 20 forums to choose from, and a wealth of experienced writers who are actually published, offering advice for free - makes paying for it, a waste of money.

I'm reminded of when I wanted to learn how to study "comparatives"... I could have paid as an adult student and gone to university - but instead, I watched loads of youtube lectures and got my nose stuck into case studies which were available online. All that was free.

Today, I can hold my own in comparatives, Allahu Akbar... and I saved a pretty penny too. Our Lord, is Most Generous.

Scimi
I was offeriing it as a favor for the members of this site and because I love this place and have been a longtime member. Not that I have the time for it or it would make me a lot of money.

But because there are people here interested in writing, which is why we have the writing contest, so they might want to learn something from an IB member and it would be fun to do a workshop here together.

I mean that's why we have the contest here too. I'm sure there are other places people can enter writing contests but we have them here for the fun of it. And we could have a writing workshop here to for the fun of it. And the members would love to do a workshop together as opposed to doing something with people they don't know or with nonmuslims. And this could be an IB thing and it would be awesome to have something like that here.

Scimitar
01-26-2017, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhaba
I was offeriing it as a favor for the members of this site and because I love this place and have been a longtime member. Not that I have the time for it or it would make me a lot of money...
Start a new thread sister, in sha Allah, you may get some interest.

This thread is for the discussion and critique of the stories in the competition.

Scimi

EDIT: are you published?

ardianto
01-28-2017, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I haven't finished reading complete entries. Also I need time to write the reviews.
:sl:

I am really sorry that I am failed to fulfill what I have intended, write reviews for stories in the contest.

Writing review is not easy because it need concentration, and I always failed to concentrate my mind when I tried to write review. Maybe because there are many things that currently need my attention in my daily life.

I apologize if anybody feel disappointed because have waited for my review.

ardianto
01-30-2017, 03:01 AM
I change my intention from write review into giving feedback. Might be not for all stories, but I will try to do my best.

Okay, I will start with feedback for Tom

The writer seem like inspired by "Jack and the beanstalk" and he tried to 'Islamize' the story by changing the beanstalk into beard. However, it makes the story difficult to be imagined by the readers. Readers can easily imagine a man climb a plant into the sky. But can they easily imagine a man climb a beard that grown on his own chin?.

In writing a story we are free to use our imagination. But we must also make our imagination easily to be accepted and depicted by the readers mind, because when read a textual story (not comic), readers always make depiction of the story in their minds. That's why we must make our our imagination can easily to be accepted by the readers mind.

"Tom" actually could be a beautiful fairytale if the writer didn't stop the story in which the main part should begin, when the main character meet Tom the giant robot. It would be better if the story continued with friendship between the main character, his brother, and Tom, which they experience adventures on the upper world.

I really appreciate the writer. What he should do is train to improve his imagination. In Shaa Allah, later the writer can create the good beautiful stories.

:)

Scimitar
01-31-2017, 02:56 PM
WOW - WHAT A JOURNEY

Thank you to all who commented on the stories, We are now in the closing stage of this Writing Competition, SubhanAllah, what a great exercise in writing, reading and commenting on the work our own members have done.

Honestly speaking, I've not come across a forum on the webs as passionate about improving their skills as this one. So, hats off you all, the Writers of the Stories, the Voters, The Commenters, Critics and the Encouragers and Cajolers.

Now... for those of you who have yet to read the entries, go here: https://www.islamicboard.com/creativ...ng-thread.html read the stories and VOTE. At the top of the thread, is a POLL OPTION, please VOTE for your favourite story in sha Allah.

If you wish to leave a comment, or critique some work, please post in this thread after me in sha Allah.

Scimi

AabiruSabeel
02-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Should we extend the deadline once again until Sunday? We might get a few votes during the weekend.

sister herb
02-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Sunday is ok - only 13 votes till now. But people have had already a lot of time to read entries and vote. Are they any more interesting to vote if they haven´t done it before?

Cptn._.Mario
02-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Masha Allah, you guys are talented! :)

ardianto
02-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Maybe is better if I do not post feedback until the contest getting closed, since my feedback may influence the readers decision in voting the best story?.

Scimitar
02-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Should we extend the deadline once again until Sunday? We might get a few votes during the weekend.
Yes in sha Allah.

Scimi

Muezzin
02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Maybe is better if I do not post feedback until the contest getting closed, since my feedback may influence the readers decision in voting the best story?.
As an entrant, I would value your feedback even before the contest closes. I think influence is irrelevant as readers must ultimately decide for themselves. :)

Scimitar
02-04-2017, 04:25 PM
I could write an in depth review of two stories which really resonated with me most.

And I will. in sha Allah.

Hopefully by next week they will be up.

Scimi

Shamnadanu
02-04-2017, 05:03 PM
which keyboard is used...i m tired with my Aosp keyboard ..how to write easily and faster ...my english is bad too...

AabiruSabeel
02-04-2017, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shamnadanu
which keyboard is used...i m tired with my Aosp keyboard ..how to write easily and faster ...my english is bad too...
Brother, most of us are using the forum on a PC or Laptop. The web address is https://www.islamicboard.com/

It is difficult to type long passages on a mobile device using tapatalk or the IB app.

Shamnadanu
02-04-2017, 05:56 PM
thank you..J A K

Born_Believer
02-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Guys, I havent had a chance t oread these but I'll try. If not, sorry for not votes :(

Scimitar
02-06-2017, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I'll try. If not,
in sha Allah, you still have time to vote and comment as well :)

Scimi

AabiruSabeel
02-07-2017, 01:53 PM
:ma:, now we got 25 votes. Just a few hours left before the poll closes.

noraina
02-07-2017, 05:18 PM
So exciting, in'sha'Allah.....

Reminder
02-08-2017, 03:35 AM
Some people just want to eat, while their stomachs churn.

Others cannot walk arthritis in the knee due obesity.

Allah works mysteriously, we are His subjects.

AabiruSabeel
02-08-2017, 04:12 AM
Finally, it is the time to announce the winners. The poll is now closed. Waiting for the host ...

I request brother Scimitar to withhold the author's name for the poem "Emotional Abyss". :ia: we will have a poetry contest at some other time of the year, most probably in June/July and the same entry can be used there. It doesn't seem appropriate to judge the poem along with the stories here.

Finding MEMO
02-08-2017, 08:15 AM
So exciting, in'sha'Allah.....
Yes Alhumdulilah

Scimitar
02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Assalaam alaikum all,

I'm gonna announce the winner tomorrow in sha Allah, as I am very busy today and do not want to rush the announcement.

For the meantime, your comments here are appreciated by us all, especially the talented forum members who wrote for us all, their wonderful tales.

Scimi

Scimitar
02-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Assalaam alaikum fine people of Islamicboard forum.

We finally arrive at the moment many of us have been awaiting.

Announcing The WINNER of the 2016/2017 Islamicboard Writing Competition.

Do I do it here? Or shall I make a new thread for it?

Scimi

noraina
02-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Assalaam alaikum fine people of Islamicboard forum.

We finally arrive at the moment many of us have been awaiting.

Announcing The WINNER of the 2016/2017 Islamicboard Writing Competition.

Do I do it here? Or shall I make a new thread for it?

Scimi
Wa alaykum assalam

Well, considering there's been so much suspense about the grand announcement and you also delayed it by a day :D....

You might as well make a new thread for this occasion.

Scimitar
02-09-2017, 04:29 PM
I think it may be an option, but to keep things contained, the mods/admins may feel it is better announced here. Let's see in sha Allah.

Scimi

sister herb
02-09-2017, 04:38 PM
So keep it here. Then people can continue discussion in the same thread about the entries if they like. Mods can later move it to other thread if they see it better.

aamirsaab
02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Do it here. Do it now.

Scimitar
02-09-2017, 05:08 PM
WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Bismillah,

Finally the moment is here, but before we get there - let's take one final moment to think and appreciate the efforts of all the writers in this years Writing Competiton 2016/2017.

It's been a journey so far. Thoughts and ideas bled ink onto paper to form stories. Stories which resonate, inspire, grip, tickle and soothe to say the least. The skill our members have developed in this competition have given us much to be proud about. The entrants themselves are the pride of this forum, and though I have to announce a Winner - for me, every single entry is a Winner in their own right.

And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for in sha Allah.

1st Place Winner - Sister Herb for her story, A King Without A Crown - Congratulations, you are this years WINNER mashaAllah :)

Second Place Runner Up - NBegam for her story, Human Life Is Very Precious

Third Place Runner Up - Aamirsaab for his story, Rusty

Fourth place - Noraina for her story, Blank Paper

Fifth place - Zeal for his story, Tom

Sixth place - Muezzin for his story, Ghoul.

There is one entry which we decided would not be included in this years competition - this was the Poem titled "Emotional Abyss" and this entry will be entered into the Poetry Competition which the mod/admin team will announce in due course in sha Allah.

If you have not had the opportunity to read the stories so far, fear not. You can read them HERE.

Now - for your thoughts :)

Scimi

sister herb
02-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Well it´s over again. Thanks for everyone who read my story, whose voted and for every other writers. This was interesting competition as here were so many and different stories. They all were good ones of my mind.

I have to say that I was very surprised about the results as I didn´t expect I could win for two consecutive years.

Congratulations to all writers.

noraina
02-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Mabrook to sister herb and all of the wonderful writers who contributed.

I loved reading each and every story, there's some serious talent here ma'sha'Allah and I had a hard time choosing the best story.

Scimitar
02-09-2017, 08:24 PM

Sister Herb, you can print this on high quality paper and put it on your wall in sha Allah. (click the image to open in a new tab, and download - This is a REAL certificate [large file size for print] for you Sister Herb, masha Allah.

For future competitions, I can make the PSD file available for future hosts to edit in sha Allah.

Scimi

noraina
02-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Lovely certificate ma'sha'Allah.

sister herb
02-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Now I am speechless.

Scimitar
02-09-2017, 09:07 PM
You can have a new avatar as well :)

Scimi

sister herb
02-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks again. I use it for some time.

:lol:

Zeal
02-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Many thanks to all of you who read the stories

My little brother will be overcome with joy :D

And a big congratulations to the winner

AabiruSabeel
02-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Congratulations to all the winners! and a special mention for the host, brother Scimitar. You have all done really good, :ma:.

We will be gifting a few rep points to each participant and the host. We were also planning to get some real gifts but unfortunately, it could not be arranged until now. We hope, :ia: in the future, we can reward with some real valued gifts.

greenhill
02-10-2017, 02:12 PM
I am speechless! Thank Allah for now my fingers do the talking . . .

The entries, I would not have been able to guess who wrote what in a million years! Also it happened when I was mostly unavailable on the net. :hmm: and it appears that will be the case for the foreseeable future :o

And, I liked the style of the host. 2 thumbs up!! :thumbs_up:thumbsup:

Congratulations to all!

greenhill
02-10-2017, 02:16 PM
errrr...

hmmmm...

I would like to suggest that the title of the thread be changed so that it is an announcement to all members, not just to those who come in this thread.

...or..

have a little bubble on the main page announcing the winner..

I would not have known if I did not enter this discussion thread, honestly..

Scimitar
02-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Right.... so I been unable to vote so far.

If I could vote, I would have voted Rusty. The story was brilliant - quite simply brilliant in every way.

Honestly speaking I could not fault it and I was left wanting to read more. Aamirsaab - you got a story on your hands bro - which I would like to read more of.

Your choice of name for the Muslimah, Hal, was sneaky - short for Halima. So many sci-fi movies have an "Hal", sometimes an hologram, other times some sort of AI, and yet at other times, an holo-matrix. The word Hal, seems to be suited to the sci-fi world, yet your use of it was unique, which I found really quite endearing.

Speaking of Hal, the character development was instant - I was thrown into the midst of the story, and immediately understood the main character, Hal, was no ordinary girl, but a strong willed and physically able individual who had the strength to make men look like girls. She had grit, grunt and growl... impressive.

For the AI mecha exoskeleton, I didn't have to work my imagination. Being familiar with Sci-Fi, I noticed your description of the mecha was reflective of Iain M Banks stories with a touch of the old Asimov. Asimov gave his AI robots some human qualities, such as loyalty, and I found this theme prevalent in your story.

The action scenes were intense, and brutal - and knowing that a Muslimah was fighting this epic mecha rumble, coupled with her AI exoskeleton was interesting. Particularly the conversations between the two. At one point, there was almost a Vulcan mind merge where the AI and Hal are finishing each others sentence off - that was really exciting.

Hal's struggle for survival in a post apocalyptic world was unique and championed the human spirit. I think this story has lots of subtle mind blows attached to it, which when really reflected upon left me feeling like this was just the start of an epic in scope story which is more of a tease - an intro - to an otherwise fantastical tale of survival, faith, companionship and loyalty.

Basically bro Aamirsaab - my hat comes off in respect. I nod my head in acknowledgement of your skill and say to you, Sir, please - please - write this book.

Honestly - I want MORE.

EDIT:
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal

My little brother will be overcome with joy :D
WOW mashaAllah haha, how old is he? Tell him I said I really liked his story and smiled because it took me back to when I was a child and had one heck of an imagination. For that, I thank him. His short story allowed me to reconnect with me innocent inner child again :)

God bless,

Scimi

Shamnadanu
02-10-2017, 05:08 PM
So where is my prize...hehe

aamirsaab
02-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Congrats to sister herb, 2 years in a row! I loved the fairy tale like feel your story had, and I agree with Noraina's earlier assessment in that it resembles stories we read/heard as children way back when. And I'm pretty sure others felt the same way - another deserved win under your belt!

It was great to see a whole bunch of new authors enter too - noraina, nbegum and Zeal ('s brother!). I am hoping more will follow in your footsteps and that you will all enter the next writing contest.

Unlucky muezzin - I guess the world just ain't ready for that level of horror bro!

I know my place.

Scimitar
02-10-2017, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

Unlucky muezzin - I guess the world just ain't ready for that level of horror bro!
Well, I did find myself going back to his story, Ghoul, more than three times. That's gotta count for something because I didn't want to like it - I ended up liking it a lot... that was the other story I liked most.

I guess Muslims don't like the horror genre much, and so it's to be expected that the votes would not be in favour - but for a piece of creative writing, heck, it was actually bloody engrossing. And in my empty moments, I found his story coming back to bite my ass lol.

Ya know what? for that alone - I give Muezzin two thumbs up and a nod of appreciation.

As for the others who didn't pay mind to his story - y'all missed out on some rather hairy experiences lol. Your loss though, not mine - I'm still recovering lol. Muezzin's story left me feeling uneasy for days - and that is the desired effect of horror... totally nailed it in that way.

Great work Muezzin.

In sha Allah, sometime over the weekend I will write my review of Ghoul also.

Scimi

sister herb
02-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback, it´s useful when I try to improve my writing skills. Writing stories by other language than my own is quite a challenge but interesting one.

Finding MEMO
02-10-2017, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Thanks for the feedback, it´s useful when I try to improve my writing skills. Writing stories by other language than my own is quite a challenge but interesting one.
Wow Subhan'Allah

greenhill
02-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Another thought...

Would it be possible to vote in a ranking fashion for top 3 kind of thing? The way we are not just voting for one article only.

Any thoughts?

aamirsaab
02-11-2017, 01:01 AM
Another thought...

Would it be possible to vote in a ranking fashion for top 3 kind of thing? The way we are not just voting for one article only.

Any thoughts?

I was discussing this with muezzin the other day, and we came up with a solution for future contests (we`ve never had this many entrants, nor this much consistency from year to year in terms of entrants, so im guessing everyone always felt 1 vote was enough)

What we propose for future contests:
If there are:
Less than or equal to 3 entrants = 1 vote
4 - 6 = 2 votes
7 to 9 = 3 votes
And so on

And in cases of a draw, the host gets the deciding vote.

This is to prevent a unilateral draw I.e in cases where there are only 3 entries, and you are allowed 3 votes, yeah that's ending in a draw which defeats the point of having a contest. Similarly, as we've now just encountered, we may get cases where we have a great deal of entrants and being only able to vote for 1 can seem harsh or too difficult to narrow down.

Inshallah this proposed method will help keep people interested and engaged and more willing to participate - even as hoat (I've got a couple of other ideas too, but I'll discuss them later down the line)

Until then, please read the entries if you haven't already and do give feedback - honestly, the latter is more important than the vote itself. As a writer, and I'm pretty sure I speak for us all here, I need to know if what I wrote worked - did it keep your attention throughout, was the story engrossing, where the characters compelling, and if the answer is no to any of those then I'd love to know why you think that (it is a forum after all) so that I can improve and do better next time.

Yes, I can appreciate that English is not everyone's first language, and yes I can appreciate it can be difficult to put your thoughts into writing. But at the very least, a couple of sentences on each of the stories wouldn't hurt.
Hashtag wall of text

sister herb
02-11-2017, 09:23 AM
About entries; I liked the most story called Tom. It was simple text, full of imagination and funny too. I liked how it ended (and his name was Tom).

I liked also "Blank paper". When I read it, I saw that who ever wrote it is skillful with English language and clearly speaks it as the first language. I compared it to my text and felt I too would like to write English as good like the writer (well, I need to practice and write a lot more, then maybe at one day I´ll can).

Other stories were quite complicated to my skills to read English text as I don´t read much novels by English (maybe I should to) and I hardly understood their messages. A lot of words and expressions I might not understood at all and using dictionary makes reading slowly.

Scimitar
02-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Yesterday I said I would comment on "Ghoul" - Muezzin's story.

I just read it again.

Bloody heck.

Disturbing. Moreso this time round than the other.

I don't even know how to comment - all I can say is, he nailed it lol.

If anything I am slightly miffed that he didn't get any votes. For me, Ghoul was up there with Rusty, as my two faves. Well a close second anyway.

One thing I will say is, I didn't know anything of the characters and was propelled into a plot where the S had hit the F and humanity was not even something present - instead, inhumane ideas were desenstizing me in preparation for what was to come.

It started of weird, and got progressively worse - in a good way. I'm fascinated by the reveal of Daddy Mouse - such a slimeball of a demon. I imagine him in a clowns outfit with a long rats nose prosthetically sewn onto his face - that made his dialogue really sinister (as if it wasn't already).

Marv, Hank, Kat - etc - all played out well in the narrative but I would have liked a little more background on their characters - and the blood hounds history as well as Daddy Mouse, however, with a 5000 word limit and a plot so heavily nuanced, I can appreciate the reason why you felt it unnecessary.

Overall, you showed great imagination and threw yourself into the blood bone and sinew of the horror you wished to portray, and it worked.

I'm still disturbed.

Very well done.

Scimi

ardianto
02-11-2017, 05:33 PM
I was surprised when I knew "Blank Paper" was written by sister Noraina. I thought the writer is about 25 years old, or older, due to maturity that reflected in portrayal of emotional side of the character.

"Blank Paper" was one of two entries that I considered in final consideration before I vote for the best story. If then I voted for "A King Without A Crown", it's because "A King Without A Crown" is 'flowing better' than "Blank Paper".

One thing that I really appreciate from "Blank Paper" is its 'power' to invite the readers to feel what the character feel. This story is strong in portraying the emotional side of the character, although is better if the writer did not add it with poetic style like ... And I wait .... and wait ..... and wait ...., because it could ruin the flow of the story.

Okay, I give special appreciation for sister Noraina. Her writing style is more mature than other writers in her age.

noraina
02-11-2017, 06:13 PM
:jz: for everyone's thoughts and advice, it's really appreciated. When you write something yourself it can be quite hard too read it objectively, so the critiques and comments of others is enormously helpful.

There was something special about each of the entrants, and I enormously enjoyed reading all of them, so...

Human Life is Very Precious - it was based on real life, and was a thought-provoking piece which really highlighted the fragility of human life and the importance of a responsible approach to the medical profession from an Islamic and ethical perspective. And it did make me pause for thought, especially in light of the recent media spotlight on A and E department of NHS hospitals here in the UK.

The King Without the Crown - as I said before, this has such a nostalgic charm to it of those tales that used to be written way back, reminds me almost of the Grimm brothers or Hans Christian Andersen, an era of writing which has seem to have past us. So it was the one I voted for because it was such a nicely-flowing story and more than that it had such a profound message underneath it.

Rusty - yes a classic sci-fi story, I really enjoyed its fast-pace and the interaction between Hal and Rusty and how, even in such a little amount of words, their friendship just deepened and developed so much and there was such a sense of loss when Rusty sacrificed himself (I almost don't like it when writers kill off your favourite character, lol). And a Muslimah heroine - yay!

Ghoul - nothing short of horrifying, maybe you should have put some sort of disclaimer at the top warning of possible trauma, lol. I used to read a lot of horror stories a while back and it appealed to that interest of mine. The title 'Ghoul' through me off, I thought it would may be some kind of subtle haunting-type story, what I found myself reading was very physical, supernatural thriller and I can easily see it being lengthened into a novel. Daddy Mouse, the catacombs, the blood hounds....all of that has a lot of potential for writing.

Tom - I actually really liked this. It was just such a charming little story, it was almost like a brief glimpse into the feelings of childhood that I can remember, that pure delight from simple things, those meandering, trailing thoughts leading from one thing to the next. I mean - having a beard which you can climb to the clouds, that's just so paradoxical but delightful at the same time :D.

Serinity
02-11-2017, 06:31 PM
:salam:

I actually like Muezzin.. Maybe make it more bloody next time lol. :D Maybe I should write too..Muezzin, you are my rival! xD LOL.

Though, i like Rusty quite a lot too. Mixing Rusty and Ghoul together would make for a splendid story, If Allah wills. I feel soo atleast. I like Rusty a lot too!! So many rivals!! So good.

What I like about Rusty is the whole sci-fi thing and the refreshing atmosphere. I like the whole "science feeling" of it.

For example:

“You can call me Hal for short. I am your new pilot from here on out. Destination: Outpost Hijrah. System report”
Systems currently at 10% and counting
“Good, that means the battery I just put in is actually working, and that in 30 seconds, you will have enough power to move and at least get us as far as my home. I need to stop by for supplies anyhow. What’s your name?”
I do not have a name
“Ok, well what do I call you, what’s your designation code?”
Refurbished class, service tank unit, designation RST 1138
“RST-1138 huh? Well that’s a mouthful, so how about I call you Rusty for short and you call me Hal” she said as she tuned Rusty’s personality settings to a more playful mode.

Mixing Science Fiction and Ghoul / Horror and gore... Amazing! That is my style lol. :D

Scimitar
02-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Yes yes bro Serenity. It's ON!!!

You should backtrack to a story written by Aamirsaab titled "Qareen" - that was one amazing story.

A search should have it turn up,

Scimi

sister herb
02-11-2017, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:

I actually like Muezzin.. Maybe make it more bloody next time lol. :D Maybe I should write too..Muezzin, you are my rival! xD LOL.
More bloody? :omg:

Maybe we need to create here the writing corner as it´s a long time to wait the next writing competition and it´s stories.

Serinity
02-11-2017, 08:10 PM
More bloody? :omg:

Maybe we need to create here the writing corner as it´s a long time to wait the next writing competition and it´s stories.
well, bloody... my style is a combination of Rusty and Ghoul - although I might be wrong on that. I like being unique. So while I do like Rusty and Ghoul's style / elements. My stories may be completely different.

What I like about Ghoul is its suspense. With Rusty, I like the sci-fi and the flexibility of expresssing one's sciency ideas - in a sci fi - imaginative way - i.e sci fi, mixing fiction and science.

Good idea on the writer's corner suggestion. I am totally up for that! There we can write and train our fingers whenever we want. Tho, I'd like some formalities in there.

Your story had a very good morale to it. That many times we pursue what we want but fail to see that we already have what we want. Kind of. Like pursuing something you think you need, but actually you had it in front of you the whole time.

aamirsaab
02-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Writer's corner? Well, we have a whole section dedicated to creative writing. It's actually called, the creative writing section! :shade:

sister herb
02-11-2017, 10:55 PM
^ That´s true. We should be more active in there. :embarrass

Finding MEMO
02-12-2017, 07:34 PM
^ That´s true. We should be more active in there. :embarrass
Sister Herb I look forward to it especially as your holding this years title MashAllah!
No pressure! [emoji6]

Muezzin
02-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Reviews!

Emotional Abyss
A well-written meditation on the transitory nature of what some people believe is ‘love’. The use of language and rhythm was good. I liked the extended metaphor of the entire piece. Inshallah it can be entered into the forthcoming Poetry Contest :)

Blank Paper
Excellent use of language throughout, with a lovely flow and message. I liked the metaphor of a ‘dense forest of coat-clad trees’, and the repetition of ‘And wait’ effectively communicates the monotonous passage of time. I like the characters and the old man’s philosophy – a blank piece of paper, infinity itself, is nothing more and nothing less than potential, not something to be feared. An important message, a literary approach - excellent work and I hope to read more :)

Human life is very precious
This was a good description of medical procedure and educational for non-medics. It had an excellent message regarding the sanctity of human life. I feel that perhaps it could be even better if for example it was told from the little girl’s point of view, to really ratchet up the tension, while retaining fidelity to the actual events. It has a good message and I am glad I read it.

A King Without Crown
A very well-told fairy-tale, reminiscent of Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm. There were nice touches of humour, such as the king fearing that a too-heavy crown would break his neck. The lessons learned and the final message was lovely and one that all of us, including current world leaders, would do well to remind ourselves of.

Rusty
High-octane mech action. Excellent character work throughout, including dialogue. ‘RST-1138’ – very geeky 1138 reference to George Lucas’s first film THX 1138. The scrappers and Hal’s interactions with them are amusingly insane. In 5,000 words you have a Muslim heroine, giant robots fighting, rocket launchers, a flying train and a guy called Crazy Steve. What’s not to like?

Tom
Jack and the Beanstalk with Beards, spaceships, clowns and a robot called Tom! Very imaginative, short and sweet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.