/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hijab?

muslimahzoya
01-13-2017, 02:37 PM
I live in a small town outside Houston, Texas. There is quite a bit of xenophobia and Islamophobia in my town, so I am honestly afraid to leave my house wearing hijab and jilbab. Is anyone else in this predicament?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Abed
01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Best is not to go out alone as far as possible.

There is safety in numbers.

NurSalam24
01-14-2017, 02:04 PM
I understand. I am also afraid sometimes. But don't let fear keep you from wearing your hijab. Remember Allah is always with you.

Scimitar
01-14-2017, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahzoya
I live in a small town outside Houston, Texas. There is quite a bit of xenophobia and Islamophobia in my town, so I am honestly afraid to leave my house wearing hijab and jilbab. Is anyone else in this predicament?
Wear Hijab, sister, and if you have to leave the house, take a male family member with you - as mahram. A mahram is also a type of covering, a protection, an hijab.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
01-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Second everyone's advice.

Wearing the hijab can be a little nerve-wracking at first, the first time I wore I felt so, so self-conscious. But what really helps is when you remind yourself you are doing this for Allah swt, as a form of worship, and anyone who sees you will know you are a Muslimah alhamdulillah. That sense of identity it gives you is really powerful and liberating.

But avoid going out alone, or when it is beginning to get dark. Try to make sure you always go outside with a male family member, or perhaps a few other sisters - that's the advice we're always given here and it goes a long way.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:06 PM
I've been looking at different ways to style hijab, and I've found a few that manage to maintain modesty without drawing too much attention. It's not myself I worry about, it's if someone becomes aggressive when I am out with my young children. My husband works long hours so he can't be with me as often as I'd like, unfortunately, so a lot of the shopping/errands falls on me.

Scimitar
01-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Do you have a brother? or a male member of the family to help you run your errands?

Scimi

noraina
01-14-2017, 03:15 PM
I've been looking at different ways to style hijab, and I've found a few that manage to maintain modesty without drawing too much attention. It's not myself I worry about, it's if someone becomes aggressive when I am out with my young children. My husband works long hours so he can't be with me as often as I'd like, unfortunately, so a lot of the shopping/errands falls on me.
I understand sis, I don't have any brothers or uncles who are close enough to me, so it's just my father who can take us around when he can. I think the only times I've ever had to face Islamophobia was when I was out on my own. So another way to go out is with another woman - do you have any female relatives or friends or Muslim sisters you can go out with, maybe coordinate your shopping days together?

As we recommended before, usually wearing a hat over your hijab makes it much less 'obvious' so to speak. And if you're not used to wearing the jilbab/abaya, try to start by wearing long skirts with a loose top on inshaAllah.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Do you have a brother? or a male member of the family to help you run your errands?

Scimi
Sadly, no. My father passed away when I was a child, and my brother lives several states away, as well as the other male members of my family. They're all very anti-Islam, though, and very evangelical Christian.

I'll speak with my husband and see if we can't possibly plan shopping trips on his days off so he can come with me.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I understand sis, I don't have any brothers or uncles who are close enough to me, so it's just my father who can take us around when he can. I think the only times I've ever had to face Islamophobia was when I was out on my own. So another way to go out is with another woman - do you have any female relatives or friends or Muslim sisters you can go out with, maybe coordinate your shopping days together?

As we recommended before, usually wearing a hat over your hijab makes it much less 'obvious' so to speak. And if you're not used to wearing the jilbab/abaya, try to start by wearing long skirts with a loose top on inshaAllah.
That I can do. The few jilbab I own are poorly made, anyway, so I can deal with a hat and some long skirts until I can make a trip into the city for some better fitting clothing.

Scimitar
01-14-2017, 03:20 PM
That sounds like a good idea in sha Allah. Also, as sister Noraina mentioned, going with sisters is also a good idea. Maybe you can join a Muslimah sisters forum online where sisters from your locality who share similar concerns can get together and go out to do their errands?

I knew a sister who had issues with hijab in Houston due to xenophobia, but she got in touch with the local masjid and made friends with some sisters who would go with her to shop for bits n bobs.

Scimi

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
That sounds like a good idea in sha Allah. Also, as sister Noraina mentioned, going with sisters is also a good idea. Maybe you can join a Muslimah sisters forum online where sisters from your locality who share similar concerns can get together and go out to do their errands?

I knew a sister who had issues with hijab in Houston due to xenophobia, but she got in touch with the local masjid and made friends with some sisters who would go with her to shop for bits n bobs.

Scimi
I need some sisters in my life! [emoji23] I am reaching out to the local masjids in my area, and scouring Facebook for muslimah groups. Inshallah I hope I find some!

noraina
01-14-2017, 03:24 PM
That I can do. The few jilbab I own are poorly made, anyway, so I can deal with a hat and some long skirts until I can make a trip into the city for some better fitting clothing.
Alhamdulillah, that's good.

And if it isn't possible to go with your husband all the time, go with a sister you know. That's what I do, if not with my father than definitely with another female relative or friend.

noraina
01-14-2017, 03:25 PM
And I'm sure you'll find some lovely sisters wherever you live (Texas?) inshaAllah.

Scimitar
01-14-2017, 03:32 PM
https://www.meetup.com/muslim-women-group/

https://www.icnahouston.org/ Islamic Center of North America

http://tmwf.org/ Texas Muslim Womens Foundation

These three sites should be good avenues for you to approach in sha Allah, I checked the sites out and must say - lots of hope yet :)

Scimi

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Thank you so much, Scimitar!

Nur80
01-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Sistre, remember that Islam is easy and I pray that Allah makes it easy for you.

Akeyi
01-15-2017, 03:51 PM
... I HAVE A VERY NICE SPEECH FOR YOU

BUT IT IS NOT MY SPEECH

HERE
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=YZ7EAgAAQBAJ

SPECIFIC PART

http://www.erisale.com/index.jsp?loc...ent.en.203.254

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.