PDA

View Full Version : Do Muslims celebrate Birthdays?



*charisma*
01-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Do Muslims celebrate Birthdays?

Some do, but again, not Islamic and not allowed.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
01-29-2017, 05:18 AM
Not allowed, really?


:peace:
Reply

Zeal
01-29-2017, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by greenhill
Not allowed, really?


:peace:
https://islamqa.info/en/115148


Apparently so
Reply

azc
01-29-2017, 06:52 AM
But still it's a disputed issue.....
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
anatolian
01-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Realy, what is unIslamic with birthday celebration? It is just a cultural thing like wedding more than an unIslamic fest.
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
01-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by anatolian
Realy, what is unIslamic with birthday celebration? It is just a cultural thing like wedding more than an unIslamic fest.
It has been declared Haraam by the `Ulamaa for a number of reasons, including:

1) Tashabbuh bil-Kuffaar (imitating the Kuffaar in their celebrations).
2) In Islaam, there are only two days of celebration: `Eedul Fitr and `Eedul Adh-haa. Imaam Ahmad and others from the Fuqahaa (jurists) have said that there is no forming of a new "`Eed". So, what does "`Eed" mean? It comes from the verb عاد يعود `Aada - Ya`oodu, which literally means "to return". In other words, an annual holiday. A day which you celebrate every year. This is the meaning of "`Eed", and this is what the `Ulamaa have said is not permissible. Besides `Eedul Fitr and `Eedul Adh-haa, there is no other day of "`Eed". In Arabic, a birthday is called "`Eed-ul-Milaad". The "`Eed" of Birth.
3) Birthdays has its origin in paganism. Check up the history on it. Even the cakes. The pagans used to make round "cakes" for their god. And the giving of gifts was because they used to believe that by gifting a person presents on their birthday, you ward of bad luck, etc. otherwise they will be unlucky, and this is all Baatil superstition.

These are the main reasons. Then there's also the fact that birthday parties are generally accompanied by Haraam activities such as singing, music, free-mixing of men and women, and overall wasting time in futility.

Celebrating birthdays should be avoided.

A question might arise:

"Maulana/Mufti Saheb, I have a wife, and I've been buying her presents on her birthday every year. If I don't buy her presents, she will become sad. What should I do?"

What you can do is to give her the presents a few days before her birthday or a few days after, and in this way, you would not be taking the day as an "`Eed" (see the definition of `Eed given above), and it would not be imitating the Kuffaar on specifically giving presents on the birthday itself. But better than this is to buy her gifts every single day. If you do that, she will not worry about a birthday.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام
Reply

azc
02-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
It has been declared Haraam by the `Ulamaa for a number of reasons, including:1) Tashabbuh bil-Kuffaar (imitating the Kuffaar in their celebrations).2) In Islaam, there are only two days of celebration: `Eedul Fitr and `Eedul Adh-haa. Imaam Ahmad and others from the Fuqahaa (jurists) have said that there is no forming of a new "`Eed". So, what does "`Eed" mean? It comes from the verb عاد يعود `Aada - Ya`oodu, which literally means "to return". In other words, an annual holiday. A day which you celebrate every year. This is the meaning of "`Eed", and this is what the `Ulamaa have said is not permissible. Besides `Eedul Fitr and `Eedul Adh-haa, there is no other day of "`Eed". In Arabic, a birthday is called "`Eed-ul-Milaad". The "`Eed" of Birth. 3) Birthdays has its origin in paganism. Check up the history on it. Even the cakes. The pagans used to make round "cakes" for their god. And the giving of gifts was because they used to believe that by gifting a person presents on their birthday, you ward of bad luck, etc. otherwise they will be unlucky, and this is all Baatil superstition.These are the main reasons. Then there's also the fact that birthday parties are generally accompanied by Haraam activities such as singing, music, free-mixing of men and women, and overall wasting time in futility.Celebrating birthdays should be avoided.A question might arise:"Maulana/Mufti Saheb, I have a wife, and I've been buying her presents on her birthday every year. If I don't buy her presents, she will become sad. What should I do?"What you can do is to give her the presents a few days before her birthday or a few days after, and in this way, you would not be taking the day as an "`Eed" (see the definition of `Eed given above), and it would not be imitating the Kuffaar on specifically giving presents on the birthday itself. But better than this is to buy her gifts every single day. If you do that, she will not worry about a birthday.
والله تعالى أعلموالسلام
which scholars have declared birthday as haram
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by azc
which scholars have declared birthday as haram
That's a useless question to ask, really, because when I tell you, you'll say: "I don't follow those scholars." I can mention 100 names one after another, and after each one you'll say, "He is like this or that," "I don't follow him," "He's an extremist", etc. etc. etc.

So, useless to answer that question.
Reply

Supernova
02-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Asalaamualaykum:

The concept of a birthday defies all logic whether you apply Shariah or not.

Please read on only you have a sense of logic.


Your birthday technically only happens once in a lifetime as you only born on one day - which is the day you born.

When you celebrate your annual birthday you are technically not celebrating your birthday as your birthday (the day your born) has already passed. So what you technically celebrate is one year on (Annual cycle) from your birthday. Approximately a 365 and quarter day cycle.

My question for those who celebrate birthdays is what is so special about a 365 and quarter day cycle that permits a celebration yet no one really celebrates a monthly, weekly, or daily cycle ? In other words (If you do celebrate a birthday), my question is why have you accepted the Annual cycle to celebrate instead of a monthly, weekly or daily cycle ?

(1a) What is your criteria that you have accepted the Annual celebration yet dismissed the monthly, weekly and daily cycle of your celebration ?

( 1b) If you cannot answer the above question (1a) then you would have to logically admit that a person can celebrate monthly, weekly, and daily. hourly etc.

If you admit to (1b) above, then technically every person is liable to celebrate every hour, minute and second of their life under the umbrella of the understanding of birthday. Bringing that down to nanosecond , it then means anyone can celebrate their "birthday" at any arbitrary point in their life.

Another thing that defies all logic is the very naming and celebrating of "Birthday" - Isnt it strange that you celebrate your birthday ANNUALLY instead of daily ?
That means that when you do celebrate your birthday you are actually celebrating your BIRTHDATE and not "birthday"

If you reached this far with no actual validation and answer to what criteria you have used to accept the Annual celebration, then my synthesis proves true that all your friends and family can have multiple "birthdays" when they want, how many times they want in their life.

Wasalaam

To round it of all - it still begs the question :
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
That's a useless question to ask, really, because when I tell you, you'll say: "I don't follow those scholars." I can mention 100 names one after another, and after each one you'll say, "He is like this or that," "I don't follow him," "He's an extremist", etc. etc. etc.So, useless to answer that question.
and you take their word as dalil...Anyway....
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by azc
and you take their word as dalil...Anyway....
I believe many Muslim brothers and sisters follow a logical and rational path instead of taking somebody else's word for it. If we would use logic even with birthdays I use to call it as long as I can remember it when I came to the west and even as an atheist back then..."why celebrate when you are a year closer to your death" XD If we follow this logic even one can say indeed why celebrate even as an atheist as this world is their paradise. If you are a year closer to your death.
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
I believe many Muslim brothers and sisters follow a logical and rational path instead of taking somebody else's word for it. If we would use logic even with birthdays I use to call it as long as I can remember it when I came to the west and even as an atheist back then..."why celebrate when you are a year closer to your death" XD If we follow this logic even one can say indeed why celebrate even as an atheist as this world is their paradise. If you are a year closer to your death.
Birthday celebration is a cultural thing from west but sadly a large number of Muslim youth follows the western culture. I don't think if any scholar allows to celebrate birthday or follow western culture though but calling it haram is questionable.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by azc
Birthday celebration is a cultural thing from west but sadly a large number of Muslim youth follows the western culture. I don't think if any scholar allows to celebrate birthday or follow western culture though but calling it haram is questionable.
Brother, i follow mostly the path of logic and rationality. Think with me.

The question that one needs to be asking him or her self is rather simple. If i do not celebrate my birthday, what will happen? In case of let's say if indeed is haram, you have protected yourself from it by not celebrating. If it wasn't haram, have you missed that much of life by not celebrating it?

Another approach what gives even MORE support is this approach. Iblies is aware of what is haram and what is not haram, BETTER then us Muslims or other people who believe in One Creator. In the Qur'an Allah(swt) tells us i am not sure myself how many times exactly but A LOT........A LOOOOOOT of times, sheytan indeed is a enemy to you. A enemy by definition will harm you by whatever means. This world has gone astray from a Creator as never before in the history of mankind. So the practices done in this day and age are also mostly in line with what are contradictory to the true religion. For example, alcohol is being widely promoted to drink, while Islam as only religion prohibits this practice. Or even ribba..or women "showing signs of freedom" by being naked while dressed. So in the case of birthdays, we look at this practice. Is this worldwide being widely spread and promoted? To my knowledge this indeed is being widely spread and promoted. So if this wasn't beneficial for the TRUE religion for people to practice it, then for sure sheytan will want people to practice it :). So sub'han'Allah a lot of times, it is sheytan's strategy that teaches us what to do :). So how foolish he is, his strategy makes us even more firm in our deen and the things we don't even know are forbidden or not. He will show it to us ;D

Another example, when i JUST embraced Islam by choice. I suddenly got those lucid nightmares. I NEVER in my entire life had experienced such dreams. In those nightmares i was awake as and looking at the room i was in and in real life also sleeping in that room. Everything as it really was in the exact place, just like you would wake up and stay in bed and look at the room. In those dreams however i couldn't move whatsoever. In that dream some dark shadow figure was standing by looking at me, trying to scare me. The first time i had this dream, i was very scared. When i woke up i realized it was sheytan. I thanked him hahaha, because i then knew that i was on the right path hahah. Later on he tried it again, but i recited Qur'an and tried to drag myself towards him..every time again he ran away.

He is the "contradictory mufti". Everything that he says you should do, do the opposite and you are safe ;D. And if he says something that is correct, you listen to your heart if it is at ease or not :).

Simple argument right?
Reply

anatolian
02-25-2017, 07:31 AM
Culture is the tradition people produce. Sunnah is the tradition the Prophet aleyhissalam produced. As Islam came for all mankind, people need to look at the cultural elements they have whether it contradicts with Sunnah. However, an element which does not exist in Sunnah does not necceseraly mean it contradicts with Sunnah. We must compare it. Huzaifah made a comparison with Eids. This might be a rational comparison. But as for following the western culture, just as I said, if the elements do not contradict with Sunnah there is no harm in following the western or eastern or northern or southern culture. All cultures belong to people.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by anatolian
Culture is the tradition people produce. Sunnah is the tradition the Prophet aleyhissalam produced. As Islam came for all mankind, people need to look at the cultural elements they have whether it contradicts with Sunnah. However, an element which does not exist in Sunnah does not necceseraly mean it contradicts with Sunnah. We must compare it. Huzaifah made a comparison with Eids. This might be a rational comparison. But as for following the western culture, just as I said, if the elements do not contradict with Sunnah there is no harm in following the western or eastern or northern or southern culture. All cultures belong to people.
Bro, you go ahead if you want, you will be held responsible for what you do not for what i do. Some other brothers have given a very firm foundation why it is prohibited. I am not even that knowledgeable as those brothers and i have given my simple logic, yet your heart desires to celebrate it. You are free, nobody is stopping you. But i have the feeling that you are showing those typical character traits of being in doubt and getting more people on your side so you feel "safe" with what you are doing. Saying they have their cultural habits, is part of Allah(swt) creation for example, is like saying we should start doing Christmas..this has also become part of their culture. And no, not always just because something is not contradicting the sunnah because it wasn't talked about, is allowed to do.

Why Rasullah(saws) came with his Sunnah has wisdom behind it. A PART of this wisdom i think is the balanced path and the right path. This is his "culture" and the right "culture" If something does not exist on this path, just don't do it. How hard is it?

But again, i have the feeling that i am talking to a wall (no offense), what i mean by this is you already have made your mind closed and are only open to people who agree with you. For the rest you go against with all you have got even with weak arguments.
Reply

ardianto
02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by anatolian
Huzaifah made a comparison with Eids. This might be a rational comparison.
Not a rational comparison. Eid is mass event, while celebrating birthday is personal event. These two things cannot be compared. The point number 2 in maulana Huzaifah's post actually was ulama statement about celebrating Milad-un Nabi (Maulid) which is mass event, not about ordinary person who celebrate birthday.
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Brother, i follow mostly the path of logic and rationality. Think with me.The question that one needs to be asking him or her self is rather simple. If i do not celebrate my birthday, what will happen? In case of let's say if indeed is haram, you have protected yourself from it by not celebrating. If it wasn't haram, have you missed that much of life by not celebrating it?Another approach what gives even MORE support is this approach. Iblies is aware of what is haram and what is not haram, BETTER then us Muslims or other people who believe in One Creator. In the Qur'an Allah(swt) tells us i am not sure myself how many times exactly but A LOT........A LOOOOOOT of times, sheytan indeed is a enemy to you. A enemy by definition will harm you by whatever means. This world has gone astray from a Creator as never before in the history of mankind. So the practices done in this day and age are also mostly in line with what are contradictory to the true religion. For example, alcohol is being widely promoted to drink, while Islam as only religion prohibits this practice. Or even ribba..or women "showing signs of freedom" by being naked while dressed. So in the case of birthdays, we look at this practice. Is this worldwide being widely spread and promoted? To my knowledge this indeed is being widely spread and promoted. So if this wasn't beneficial for the TRUE religion for people to practice it, then for sure sheytan will want people to practice it :). So sub'han'Allah a lot of times, it is sheytan's strategy that teaches us what to do :). So how foolish he is, his strategy makes us even more firm in our deen and the things we don't even know are forbidden or not. He will show it to us ;DAnother example, when i JUST embraced Islam by choice. I suddenly got those lucid nightmares. I NEVER in my entire life had experienced such dreams. In those nightmares i was awake as and looking at the room i was in and in real life also sleeping in that room. Everything as it really was in the exact place, just like you would wake up and stay in bed and look at the room. In those dreams however i couldn't move whatsoever. In that dream some dark shadow figure was standing by looking at me, trying to scare me. The first time i had this dream, i was very scared. When i woke up i realized it was sheytan. I thanked him hahaha, because i then knew that i was on the right path hahah. Later on he tried it again, but i recited Qur'an and tried to drag myself towards him..every time again he ran away.He is the "contradictory mufti". Everything that he says you should do, do the opposite and you are safe ;D. And if he says something that is correct, you listen to your heart if it is at ease or not :).Simple argument right?
glad to know that you are a Muslim by choice... I agree with you bro
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Not a rational comparison. Eid is mass event, while celebrating birthday is personal event. These two things cannot be compared. The point number 2 in maulana Huzaifah's post actually was ulama statement about celebrating Milad-un Nabi (Maulid) which is mass event, not about ordinary person who celebrate birthday.
yes, this is the point which he hints at. Whereas this issue i.e. Eid miladunnabi s.a.w is a disputed one and no scholar declared it as Haram except a certain sect.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by azc
yes, this is the point which he hints at. Whereas this issue i.e. Eid miladunnabi s.a.w is a disputed one and no scholar declared it as Haram except a certain sect.
Which sect are you referring to if i may ask?
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Which sect are you referring to if i may ask?
madkhali or of this mentality
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 09:45 AM
............For these reasons one should refrain from the prevalent Milad gatherings. However if care is taken to avoid all of these evils and to follow the Shariah carefully, then a meeting organized to remember the Prophet, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, with the sole purpose of seeking Allah's pleasure, will Insha-Allah be a blessed event. And Allah knows best.http://www.as-sidq.org/darusalam/fat...ng%20milad.htm
Reply

Serinity
02-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Brother, i follow mostly the path of logic and rationality. Think with me.

The question that one needs to be asking him or her self is rather simple. If i do not celebrate my birthday, what will happen? In case of let's say if indeed is haram, you have protected yourself from it by not celebrating. If it wasn't haram, have you missed that much of life by not celebrating it?

Another approach what gives even MORE support is this approach. Iblies is aware of what is haram and what is not haram, BETTER then us Muslims or other people who believe in One Creator. In the Qur'an Allah(swt) tells us i am not sure myself how many times exactly but A LOT........A LOOOOOOT of times, sheytan indeed is a enemy to you. A enemy by definition will harm you by whatever means. This world has gone astray from a Creator as never before in the history of mankind. So the practices done in this day and age are also mostly in line with what are contradictory to the true religion. For example, alcohol is being widely promoted to drink, while Islam as only religion prohibits this practice. Or even ribba..or women "showing signs of freedom" by being naked while dressed. So in the case of birthdays, we look at this practice. Is this worldwide being widely spread and promoted? To my knowledge this indeed is being widely spread and promoted. So if this wasn't beneficial for the TRUE religion for people to practice it, then for sure sheytan will want people to practice it :). So sub'han'Allah a lot of times, it is sheytan's strategy that teaches us what to do :). So how foolish he is, his strategy makes us even more firm in our deen and the things we don't even know are forbidden or not. He will show it to us ;D

Another example, when i JUST embraced Islam by choice. I suddenly got those lucid nightmares. I NEVER in my entire life had experienced such dreams. In those nightmares i was awake as and looking at the room i was in and in real life also sleeping in that room. Everything as it really was in the exact place, just like you would wake up and stay in bed and look at the room. In those dreams however i couldn't move whatsoever. In that dream some dark shadow figure was standing by looking at me, trying to scare me. The first time i had this dream, i was very scared. When i woke up i realized it was sheytan. I thanked him hahaha, because i then knew that i was on the right path hahah. Later on he tried it again, but i recited Qur'an and tried to drag myself towards him..every time again he ran away.

He is the "contradictory mufti". Everything that he says you should do, do the opposite and you are safe ;D. And if he says something that is correct, you listen to your heart if it is at ease or not :).
Simple argument right?
I like you man.

I also had nightmares lol after practicing Islam.

I like your logic. "DO opposite of whatever shaytaan says, but always check, i.e. read Quran and see what Islam says."

I know Worship is only for Allah. Shaytaan has been bothering me about this. Trying to make me do shirk by confusing me.

What am I going to do? I already see through the traps of shaytaan. I seek refuge within Allah from the accursed Shaytaan.
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 10:12 AM
^ and shaytan is too cunning. We can be protected from his stratagem and tricks if Allah swt protect us
Reply

Serinity
02-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes, we need Allah.

Iblees knows The Haqq, and an enemy who knows The Haqq, yet goes against it, is one of the worst enemies of Islam. Cause he may mix falsehood and truth. you can never take the words of Iblees for anything, don't even listen to him. Seek refuge within Allah.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Serinity
I like you man.

I also had nightmares lol after practicing Islam.

I like your logic. "DO opposite of whatever shaytaan says, but always check, i.e. read Quran and see what Islam says."

I know Worship is only for Allah. Shaytaan has been bothering me about this. Trying to make me do shirk by confusing me.

What am I going to do? I already see through the traps of shaytaan. I seek refuge within Allah from the accursed Shaytaan.
In another topic i said, our mind KNOWS things and remembers it, yet our heart forgets it. So knowing it is the trap of sheytan, but still falling in is the question what to do? The problem is not knowledge, the problem is imaan. However, the question that i am asking, what can we do to strengten our imaan. We already know what to do to strengthen our imaan, however based on logic and rationality i am trying to figure out the "secret" path.

I have for example, figured out some of the things to stay more firm and every time our imaan gets weak, we head back to that "secret" path. Although it is not so secret to be honest XD. So what is this path? I have observed myself often and pondered about the previous mistakes. It starts with having a strict routine, although sometimes you will deviate from this routine, but be aware of this routine and go back on it.

Isha part:

So, lets start with isha prayer. Do the Isha prayer at the mosque. Why? When you go to the Isha prayer, you already mentally prepare for what is to come. (The prayer). Beside that you do not think anymore of the dunya. Which means your mind is empty of all the nonsense and focused. When you have done the isha-prayer..do NOT have a chat with other brothers. Just go straight home and sleep. DO NOT EAT after Isha prayer. If you are still attached to the Dunya, your brain is still active. Which means it will for you take LONGER to get in to the REM-sleep. (Rapid Eye Movement). This is the phase of sleep that is important..which is the quality sleep you get. So why is this "quality" sleep so important? Sometimes when you even have slept maybe 7-8 hours, yet are just broke up. As if you haven't slept. This is because you have had quantity, but not quality of sleep. So you need quality of sleep and this can be achieved by a focused isha-prayer. I have witnessed that i automatically wake up before the night prayer, being all rested. I woke up without any alarm clock. Also during the winter dress the proper clothes, so when you would get out of bed, you do not feel the cold. Which sheytan cannot keep you in bed. When you directly after isha prayer go to sleep, your mind has become tired and body has become tired. So if you are tired, you should go to sleep. During winter times the earliest moment i go to sleep is after Isha around (19:00). I live by myself so you have to look if it is possible in your situation. This by the way can change during summer times, as the days are longer and the nights are shorter. But the same, just go to sleep after isha-prayer.

Night prayer:

You can do your night prayer if you want as you have slept the quality sleep and are rested. You can also benefit that time during the night with other stuff, like reading or learning something. When your body has rested and your mind has rested you can easily absorb new information. I have also learned to be a bit active during your night prayer especially when start of fajr-prayer is near. As sheytan will try to make you sleepy, but when you are active, it is very hard for sheytan to make you sleepy.

If you are planning to fast, eat at least 7 dates or 9. I myself try to eat 7. Eat something like yogurt or something light. BTW, find excuses to fast if you yourself are not married like me. For example, i find the excuses to say..well when i was born as a baby i did not do Ramadan..so let me do those days that i did not do Ramadan. If you have done all of those, you could say..well there were a lot of those 13, 14, 15 of the day and every month day and Thursday that i did not fast when i was a baby..so let me also fast those now. As only Mondays and Thursdays for one year are like 106 days in total..not even counting other days to voluntary fasting.

Why fasting? I have read about Rasullah(saws) saying if one is not married, then better to fast as it is a shield for you. I have noticed that this indeed is true. When you somehow are fasting you are not tired, but not bothered or finding it hard not looking at women. You have no interest in them whatsoever. Sub'han'Allah very strange but satisfying feeling as you are very calm. Also what i have witnessed is that my body is somehow strangely very tight. As if i have been to the gym working out. I have more energy and direct energy. I am also more alert. The stronger your imaan is, then less fatigue you feel. The weaker your imaan is, the faster you want to break your fast. Even going as far as breaking your fast to eat because you feel the hunger, while not the case when you have a stronger imaan.

Fajr prayer:

Go to fajr-prayer, walking or with your bike. Why? I have noticed that the air just before sunrise is SUPER FRESH. I SUSPECT that this oxygen has more quality than the oxygen during the day. As it becomes more warm and cars and people and other stuff hanging in the air. About 2 hours before sunrise i have noticed that is the COLDEST moment during the night..so really SUPER fresh air..even when there is less green and more buildings. If it was up to me and allowed i would follow the tradition of Rasullah(saws) to sit after fajr-prayer till after sunrise. As i am MORE then sure there is some benefit in it, but sadly mosques have changed ..they have become like shops =_=! with closing times. Any ways, after isha-prayer do NOT go to sleep. As i know of hadith i believe that Rasullah(saws) has said the the blessing is in the morning. When you have done your fajr-prayer and didn't go to sleep. The sun has risen, you will feel A LOT of energy. Around maybe 8-10 o'clock you will have that feeling as if it is already around 16:00-17:00 o'clock. That is the MOST BIZARRE feeling there is. You have suddenly UNBELIEVABLE amount of time. You still have energy and can do all sort of stuff. In the summer because the mornings are colder than the afternoons you have more energy and do not feel any fatigue.

Dhur prayer:

When dhur-prayer is about to start you go to or do dhur-prayer..so again mind and body away from this dunya. Try to be as focused as possible. I have noticed that the more focused you are the more your body really is being rested. So those 6-8 minutes doing your prayer, it felt like as i have been sleeping for couple of hours.. o_O!?? My mind is very calm..my heart is very calm..my body is very calm..and all rested.I have also noticed that some imams are more quickly than others. And SUB'HAN'Allah, Allah(swt) made another solution you could say to that. Do the voluntary prayer to still get this quality prayer and get all rested. In the summer times if possible, go to sleep for 1-2 hours. Around 16:00 i have noticed that is the HOTTEST moment of the day. When it becomes hot during the day, we become slow and lazy. This time especially if possible better go to sleep. Before Asr-prayer when you wake up..eat something light..NEVER fill your stomach with anything. Always 1/3 food, 1/3 water, 1/3 air. I have noticed and experimented with this, that sub'han'Allah i have A LOT OF energy if i am not full. For example doing taraweeh at the masjid. You have a lot of energy :).

Asr-prayer:

I have heard that it is not recommended to sleep after asr prayer. I have experimented with this also and i can confirm that you wake up a bit more lazy and less energy. This also will screw up your actual sleep. During winter..we still have to work, but during the summer we are already at home. This moment of the day, we can spend time with our spouse and children..visit family and friends. In the summer, i have concluded to NOT stay longer than Maghreb prayer.

Maghreb prayer:

Before Maghreb prayer get back home. Why? If you are fasting, you can peacefully break your fast, if you are not fasting, you preparing for Maghreb prayer. After Maghreb prayer, clean up your house ..do the dishes..every where that needs to be tidy. So when you later on go to sleep you are more satisfied with a clean and tidy house. By the way, also EAT SOMETHING after Maghreb prayer..even if you are not fasting. Why? To make for the body a habit when fasting and not fasting and having a routine. I try to always also eat after Maghreb prayer 7 dates. Dates i have read in a hadith are also a protection or some sort. Try to NOT watch tv, or on your computer or phone. Tv, computer and phone have this blue light. This blue light also comes from the sun. Which is a indication for our eyes..as WAKE UP. During this time between Maghreb and isha-prayer, rather spend time reading something or mentally preparing for isha prayer (restart of the cycle)

Also not to forget to make habit out of some things. For example going to bathroom and left foot in and right foot out with the dua. Or eating with right hand and what to say and trying to sit down..or whatever you do..saying bismillah. Or going up a stairs or going down the stairs. I have made a habit that every time i am walking on my own and riding the bike or driving in the car, to say "sub'han'Allah, wa alhamdulillah, wa la ilaha illallah, allahu akbar, la hawla quwwata illa billah". Also when going to fajr-prayer saying sub'han'Allah 100 times. These things are very light on the tongue, but have a heavy load.

I have also noticed that when you do that, you somehow build up more patience. Your heart becomes calm.

Forgive me for such a long comment, but these things i have observed and have made my imaan stronger. So knowing this path, every time my imaan becomes weaker, i try to get back on this path and i notice again that my imaan becomes stronger.
Reply

anatolian
02-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Bro, you go ahead if you want, you will be held responsible for what you do not for what i do. Some other brothers have given a very firm foundation why it is prohibited. I am not even that knowledgeable as those brothers and i have given my simple logic, yet your heart desires to celebrate it. You are free, nobody is stopping you.
No, I haven't said that I have desire to celebrate it. I was neutral in my above post. I said Huzaifah might be right on his comparison with Eids. I just said that something cannot be prohibited just because it exists in the western culture. Cultures are neutral as long as they clearly contradict with Islam.

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
But i have the feeling that you are showing those typical character traits of being in doubt and getting more people on your side so you feel "safe" with what you are doing. Saying they have their cultural habits, is part of Allah(swt) creation for example, is like saying we should start doing Christmas..this has also become part of their culture. And no, not always just because something is not contradicting the sunnah because it wasn't talked about, is allowed to do.
I have no idea where from you developed this feeling regarding me. I can assure you I don't have such a character to feel myself safe in my position. What other people think about me or my opinions really does not effect my understaning. I must tell you, even if all people in this world think or believe different but if I am sincere in my thoughts and beliefs I wouldn't really care what others think about me.

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Why Rasullah(saws) came with his Sunnah has wisdom behind it. A PART of this wisdom i think is the balanced path and the right path. This is his "culture" and the right "culture" If something does not exist on this path, just don't do it. How hard is it?
First of all Sunnah is not a culture. Look at my definition of culture and Sunnah in my above post please.. Ofcourse there is wisdom behind the Sunnah of Rasulullah aleyhissalam but you miss something which I tried to explain in my above post again. Just something from a culture does not exist in the Sunnah does not neccesarily mean it contradicts with it. We humans, intelligent beings, must compare them. Otherwise you invent harams for you own agenda or just because of ignorance and this is a sin as much as inventing halals for the same purpose.

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
But again, i have the feeling that i am talking to a wall (no offense), what i mean by this is you already have made your mind closed and are only open to people who agree with you. For the rest you go against with all you have got even with weak arguments.
This is the first time you are answering to a post of mine. I see that you have newly entered to this forum even. I wonder how you came to that conclusion about me that fast? I don't think you know me enough to have such an assumption. Don't assume too much about people. It may lead you misconceptions.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 01:15 PM
In the previous post you said

Originally Posted by anatolian
Culture is the tradition people produce. Sunnah is the tradition the Prophet aleyhissalam produced. As Islam came for all mankind, people need to look at the cultural elements they have whether it contradicts with Sunnah. However, an element which does not exist in Sunnah does not necceseraly mean it contradicts with Sunnah. We must compare it. Huzaifah made a comparison with Eids. This might be a rational comparison. But as for following the western culture, just as I said, if the elements do not contradict with Sunnah there is no harm in following the western or eastern or northern or southern culture. All cultures belong to people.
We know that innovations are forbidden within Islam. There is Islam and there is the sunnah. As Muslims we also know that we Muslims have only two celebrations, everything else falls outside the box so to say is a innovation by it self. Point 1 of Huzaifah was "Tashabbuh bil-Kuffaar (imitating the Kuffaar in their celebrations).", however maybe you have missed this point, if so then you haven't replied to that.

There is a hadith that i remember this hadith.

‘I advise you to fear Allaah and to hear and obey even if an Abyssinian slave were to rule over you. For surely, he who lives from amongst you will see much differing, so it is upon you to be upon my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs. Bite on to it with your back molar teeth and beware of newly invented matters, for verily, every newly invented matter is an innovation, and all innovation is misguidance.’”

Source used:
https://abdurrahman.org/2013/07/08/h...her-audioen/So

i am not saying it is haram as i myself have no clear evidence. Some scholars say it is haram and the present their evidence. I choose the safe way and agree with them to stay away from it. Based on what do i agree with them to stay away? Based on logic. If i do not practice celebrating my birthday, what will i miss..even though it is halal? For example, you see vegetarian Muslims. Meat is halal, but they don't eat it. Is there any sin they are committing, as far as i know ...no. So in case of something that isn't known, we Muslims know better to just stay away from it. If let's say it is haram, despite knowing we should stay away from it to be on the safe side but don't do that..this will become another thing on our plate on the Day of Judgement. So logic and rationality says, stay away from it to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted by anatolian
No, I haven't said that I have desire to celebrate it. I was neutral in my above post. I said Huzaifah might be right on his comparison with Eids. I just said that something cannot be prohibited just because it exists in the western culture. Cultures are neutral as long as they clearly contradict with Islam.
I refer you to the text above about point one of Huzaifah made.

Originally Posted by anatolian
The sunnah is safeguarded for innovations and as brother

I have no idea where from you developed this feeling regarding me. I can assure you I don't have such a character to feel myself safe in my position. What other people think about me or my opinions really does not effect my understaning. I must tell you, even if all people in this world think or believe different but if I am sincere in my thoughts and beliefs I wouldn't really care what others think about me.
You ignored many other posts, while usually one would respond to their arguments to prove their arguments are false. Again, if you have not seen or read those arguments, i apologize, as we see often people still wanting to head their own way without refuting other arguments first. So my argument is solely based on seeing no comment of yours refuting other arguments first.

Originally Posted by anatolian

First of all Sunnah is not a culture. Look at my definition of culture and Sunnah in my above post please.. Ofcourse there is wisdom behind the Sunnah of Rasulullah aleyhissalam but you miss something which I tried to explain in my above post again. Just something from a culture does not exist in the Sunnah does not neccesarily mean it contradicts with it. We humans, intelligent beings, must compare them. Otherwise you invent harams for you own agenda or just because of ignorance and this is a sin as much as inventing halals for the same purpose.
To know what is a culture, one must first define what a culture is.

"The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."
"The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society."

source used: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/culture

Islam it self is a way of life. Rasullah(saws) came to redefine this human intellectual achievement regarding the collective of people who choose to be part of it. As Muslims we have certain customs, you know maybe even better than me about those. We have social behavior, i do not have to explain this to you as you also know this maybe even better than me.

So based on this one can say that Islam can be branded as a culture. A culture that can be chosen, just like any other culture. You might be born in a Turkish culture, but if you choose to throw out those cultural habits and adopt a western culture means you have adopted another culture.

Originally Posted by anatolian
This is the first time you are answering to a post of mine. I see that you have newly entered to this forum even. I wonder how you came to that conclusion about me that fast? I don't think you know me enough to have such an assumption. Don't assume too much about people. It may lead you misconceptions.
Nobody knows you enough even if they already were members since 2008. Only Allah(swt) knows you and He knows you better then you yourself.

So again, based on what did i conclude that...well i already have said it above as you might maybe have read it already. So no, it was not a assumption, it is a observation based on a action taken. And again if you really haven't noticed other comments or did not read point 1 of Huzaifah, i apologize.
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by azc
yes, this is the point which he hints at. Whereas this issue i.e. Eid miladunnabi s.a.w is a disputed one and no scholar declared it as Haram except a certain sect.
You are referring to the Salafis, yes?

Actually, not only them. The old `Ulamaa of Deoband spoke out very harshly against it as well. Take Maulana A.S. Desai (Mujlisul Ulama of South Africa), for example. You mentioned that you know about him? He was one of the main "Khalifas" of Hadhratji, Maulana Maseehullah Khan رحمة الله عليه. He studied in Jalalabad. He studied under many of the major Deobandi `Ulamaa at that time. He himself is extreme where Salafis are concerned; he almost makes Takfeer of them. He doesn't believe they are part of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jamaa`ah. He is an "anti-Salafi". Yet, he says that Maulood is Haraam, and not only Haraam, but "Shaytaaniyat (Satanism)" as well. His views are well-known.

We could make a thread just quoting the Fataawaa and statements of the old `Ulamaa of Deoband with regards to Maulood. The point is, rejection of Mawlood/Meelaad/Moulood/Mawlid is not a "Salafi" thing as people make it out to be.
Reply

Kiro
02-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Nope
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
You are referring to the Salafis, yes?Actually, not only them. The old `Ulamaa of Deoband spoke out very harshly against it as well. Take Maulana A.S. Desai (Mujlisul Ulama of South Africa), for example. You mentioned that you know about him? He was one of the main "Khalifas" of Hadhratji, Maulana Maseehullah Khan رحمة الله عليه. He studied in Jalalabad. He studied under many of the major Deobandi `Ulamaa at that time. He himself is extreme where Salafis are concerned; he almost makes Takfeer of them. He doesn't believe they are part of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jamaa`ah. He is an "anti-Salafi". Yet, he says that Maulood is Haraam, and not only Haraam, but "Shaytaaniyat (Satanism)" as well. His views are well-known.We could make a thread just quoting the Fataawaa and statements of the old `Ulamaa of Deoband with regards to Maulood. The point is, rejection of Mawlood/Meelaad/Moulood/Mawlid is not a "Salafi" thing as people make it out to be.
maximum you can say it's a bidat. Plz see fatwas of DU deoband and DU Karachi: http://www.as-sidq.org/darusalam/fat...ng%20milad.htm http://www.darulifta-deoband.com/hom...-Customs/20428
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-25-2017, 02:54 PM
The `Ulamaa of Deoband say it's a Bid`ah, yes. And your point, Hadhrat, is..? The view of the `Ulamaa of Deoband is that it's Haraam to engage in Bid`ah. Correct? So if they say it's Haraam to engage in Bid`ah, and they say that Mawlood is Bid`ah, then what are they saying? "It is Haraam to take part in Mawlood."

If A is equal to B, and B is equal to C, then A is equal to C.
Reply

anatolian
02-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
In the previous post you said



We know that innovations are forbidden within Islam. There is Islam and there is the sunnah. As Muslims we also know that we Muslims have only two celebrations, everything else falls outside the box so to say is a innovation by it self. Point 1 of Huzaifah was "Tashabbuh bil-Kuffaar (imitating the Kuffaar in their celebrations).", however maybe you have missed this point, if so then you haven't replied to that.

There is a hadith that i remember this hadith.

‘I advise you to fear Allaah and to hear and obey even if an Abyssinian slave were to rule over you. For surely, he who lives from amongst you will see much differing, so it is upon you to be upon my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs. Bite on to it with your back molar teeth and beware of newly invented matters, for verily, every newly invented matter is an innovation, and all innovation is misguidance.’”

Source used:
https://abdurrahman.org/2013/07/08/h...her-audioen/So

i am not saying it is haram as i myself have no clear evidence. Some scholars say it is haram and the present their evidence. I choose the safe way and agree with them to stay away from it. Based on what do i agree with them to stay away? Based on logic. If i do not practice celebrating my birthday, what will i miss..even though it is halal? For example, you see vegetarian Muslims. Meat is halal, but they don't eat it. Is there any sin they are committing, as far as i know ...no. So in case of something that isn't known, we Muslims know better to just stay away from it. If let's say it is haram, despite knowing we should stay away from it to be on the safe side but don't do that..this will become another thing on our plate on the Day of Judgement. So logic and rationality says, stay away from it to be on the safe side.



I refer you to the text above about point one of Huzaifah made.



You ignored many other posts, while usually one would respond to their arguments to prove their arguments are false. Again, if you have not seen or read those arguments, i apologize, as we see often people still wanting to head their own way without refuting other arguments first. So my argument is solely based on seeing no comment of yours refuting other arguments first.



To know what is a culture, one must first define what a culture is.

"The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."
"The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society."

source used: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/culture

Islam it self is a way of life. Rasullah(saws) came to redefine this human intellectual achievement regarding the collective of people who choose to be part of it. As Muslims we have certain customs, you know maybe even better than me about those. We have social behavior, i do not have to explain this to you as you also know this maybe even better than me.

So based on this one can say that Islam can be branded as a culture. A culture that can be chosen, just like any other culture. You might be born in a Turkish culture, but if you choose to throw out those cultural habits and adopt a western culture means you have adopted another culture.



Nobody knows you enough even if they already were members since 2008. Only Allah(swt) knows you and He knows you better then you yourself.

So again, based on what did i conclude that...well i already have said it above as you might maybe have read it already. So no, it was not a assumption, it is a observation based on a action taken. And again if you really haven't noticed other comments or did not read point 1 of Huzaifah, i apologize.
No I didn't read other peoples' posts properly. I can't read every individual post in every thread. However I have read the point no 1 of Huzaifah which he answered my post for sure. The reason I didn't reply I could neither oppose it or accepte it. I am still thinking about it. Also this is the third time I am telling you in this very same thread I did not oppose this idea "birthday celebrations being haram". I am still neutral on the idea. What surprises me, although I have given a general opinion about the Sunnah and culture relation, you accused me of somethings irrevelant of me. For example, if I opposed to your ideas for several times although you have given several evidences for your pov, you might have right to call it speaking to a wall. But you acted very fast lol. Really, do you know me somewhere before? Otherwise it is called prejudice.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by anatolian
No I didn't read other peoples' posts properly. I can't read every individual post in every thread. However I have read the point no 1 of Huzaifah which he answered my post for sure. The reason I didn't reply I could neither oppose it or accepte it. I am still thinking about it. Also this is the third time I am telling you in this very same thread I did not oppose this idea "birthday celebrations being haram". I am still neutral on the idea. What surprises me, although I have given a general opinion about the Sunnah and culture relation, you accused me of somethings irrevelant of me. For example, if I opposed to your ideas for several times although you have given several evidences for your pov, you might have right to call it speaking to a wall. But you acted very fast lol. Really, do you know me somewhere before? Otherwise it is called prejudice.
As you said, you did not read all the posts and thus why you had not responded on all of them. Also, usually if i am neutral or rather ignorant about a matter, i will not post anything about a matter, but that is how i role and i cannot dictate that you also should role like that. So apologize if i made you upset in anyway or insulted you in anyway.

As-salam alaikum.
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
The `Ulamaa of Deoband say it's a Bid`ah, yes. And your point, Hadhrat, is..? The view of the `Ulamaa of Deoband is that it's Haraam to engage in Bid`ah. Correct? So if they say it's Haraam to engage in Bid`ah, and they say that Mawlood is Bid`ah, then what are they saying? "It is Haraam to take part in Mawlood."If A is equal to B, and B is equal to C, then A is equal to C.
As I explained in my article on celebration of Eid-e-Milaad-un-Nabi, holding a meeting to discuss different aspects of the life of the Holy Prophetis a very meritorious act for which the Muslims should strive to the best of their ability. But confining this discussion to the events of the birth of the Holy Prophetand restricting it to a particular date and holding attendance at such meetings as necessary or obligatory for every Muslim renders this practice asbid'ahor innovation. Mostly the meetings of Maulid today are of this type. Therefore, contemporary Ulema of Deoband have declared it abid'ah
Ulama declared it bidat and stopped the people to participate in it because some ill practices are involved in celebration e.g. Free mixing, music etc
If the life of the Holy Prophetis made subject of a meeting, and the meeting is free of the above mentioned defects, nobody can call it abid'ah. It is in this context that some scholars of the past have allowed the practice
in this case it's even praiseworthy bidat
Scholars like Jalaluddin Suyuti, Ibn Hajar Asqalani and even Ibn Taimiya described it as a praiseworthy innovation.
why did they find it praiseworthy invocation...?
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
A good article on sunnah and bidaat : https://islamreigns.wordpress.com/20...nafi-madh-hab/
Reply

anatolian
02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
A general question. What if there is a good element in a specific culture of kuffar? Is it still haram to take it?
Reply

azc
02-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by anatolian
A general question. What if there is a good element in a specific culture of kuffar? Is it still haram to take it?
bro, have you noticed any culture as such..?
Reply

Aaqib
04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by praisetoallah
There should be nothing wrong in celebrating the birth of a human being
:salam:
"The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah"

Watch what you say.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2017, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
  4. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 10:40 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!