/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Native American Art

GodIsAll
02-12-2017, 04:23 AM
1. Someone invited me to the group on this board that included artists...I accepted, thank you.
2. Several viewers enjoyed my Blackfoot warhorse painting. Thank you for both the appreciation and for the discussion regarding the great Native Americans I have had to privilege to meet and be exposed to.
...In lieu of this, I am sharing a piece my father did in 1970. His style is very different from mine and absolutely exemplifies way more talent.
+ Its the first painting he ever did and hasn't done one since. ....it makes me shake my head.
I have it my home and am very proud to have it.
It is on leather and he soaked it and shaped it to be in 3D.
I hope you enjoy is as I have for 4 and 1/2 decades.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-12-2017, 04:27 AM
Must say, family talent...

On your War Horse painting, I will add that the eyes look very watery... almost like its a button (3D like too).

:peace:

GodIsAll
02-12-2017, 04:33 AM
Thanks, Greenhill. The eye scared me and I was grateful it came out as well as it did. There's many other facets of that painting that I'm not happy with, though.
Funny thing: My mother was an art teacher for 30 years. Speaking candidly, though, Dad did one piece in his life that was more impressive than anything she'd done in her life. Bizarre....and kind of a waste he'd never do anything else, too.

greenhill
02-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Sometimes people just do things for themselves to say that 'yes, I could do it' but not to pursue but merely to perhaps notch it down to 'been there, done that!' and then proceed with their normal life.. ha ha..

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
02-15-2017, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
1. Someone invited me to the group on this board that included artists...I accepted, thank you.
2. Several viewers enjoyed my Blackfoot warhorse painting. Thank you for both the appreciation and for the discussion regarding the great Native Americans I have had to privilege to meet and be exposed to.
...In lieu of this, I am sharing a piece my father did in 1970. His style is very different from mine and absolutely exemplifies way more talent.
+ Its the first painting he ever did and hasn't done one since. ....it makes me shake my head.
I have it my home and am very proud to have it.
It is on leather and he soaked it and shaped it to be in 3D.
I hope you enjoy is as I have for 4 and 1/2 decades.
Your father is very talented. Excellent piece - thank you for sharing.

GodIsAll
02-19-2017, 01:00 AM
Thank you, M. I wish he had done more.

Scimitar
02-19-2017, 02:05 AM
I'm fascinated by the Native American peoples instinctive understanding of nature from the ancient times - so many tribes - so many stories, morals and lessons.

If you have any you wish to share, I am a willing ear here my bro.

Scimi

GodIsAll
02-23-2017, 01:56 AM
Scimi, last time I was in NW Montana, I had the opportunity to talk at length with a 97 year old Blackfoot Indian. He was sharing stories his grandfather had told him of his youth.
Keep in mind, there's a distinct accent. When they say "ponies", it sounds more like "pone-eesh". Anyway, he was sharing how they had to creep on their bellies all through the night to have a horse raid on a tribe of Cheyenne. Very fascinating to listen to.

GodIsAll
02-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Another thing that awed me:
A restaurant owned by a Blackfoot family had a document posted entitled: "The 10 Demands of Our Grandfather (a word synonymously used for 'Great Spirit' or 'Creator')".
Although different in phrasing, they were, in order, exactly the 10 commandments given to Moses in the Book of Exodus. Makes you scratch your chin and ponder a bit. Claimed it was unchanged for thousands of years.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.