PDA

View Full Version : Being a game developer?? halal?



Serinity
03-01-2017, 04:51 PM
:salam:

Would it be halal for me to be a game developer? I like programming, and like gaming. And programming games sounds interesting.

Is it permissible? Especially when modelling worlds, or characters?? Will it be seen as imitating the creation of Allah?

Allahu alam.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
depends on the game bro. If you are making a world where the reality is not the same as this one, then ask yourself what benefit a fantasy setting will have on those who have nothing better to do with their time than "gaming". And the answer is "it aids their disconnection to their reality which is escapist". Surely not a good thing.

If you, on the other hand developed games which aided learning, such as puzzles, quizzes and the like (see brain training games et al) then, you'd be doing something beneficial and I would not see it as a waste of time.
It's not the technology bro - it's what we do with it. :)

Scimi
Reply

Serinity
03-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
depends on the game bro. If you are making a world where the reality is not the same as this one, then ask yourself what benefit a fantasy setting will have on those who have nothing better to do with their time than "gaming". And the answer is "it aids their disconnection to their reality which is escapist". Surely not a good thing.

If you, on the other hand developed games which aided learning, such as puzzles, quizzes and the like (see brain training games et al) then, you'd be doing something beneficial and I would not see it as a waste of time.
It's not the technology bro - it's what we do with it. :)

Scimi
Didn't think of it like that.

I thought of Virtual Reality, etc.

How would I be able to implement learning in games? I like Open World games.

I thought of - revolutionizing gaming. Like, mix all the genres.

An Open world MMORPG game, with Real world stuff in it, stores, businesses, and fantasies (Super powers, etc.) A game that is not just 1 game, but a game that is a FPS, MMORPG, Open World - etc. game.

I like to experiment with new worlds and genres. lol. I.e. have a game that is multiple games within a game.

From FPS, to Strategy games, etc. To governing a Nation, and waging war, from clans, tribes, to whole nations.. So many ideas.
Reply

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Didn't think of it like that.

I thought of Virtual Reality, etc.

How would I be able to implement learning in games? I like Open World games.

I thought of - revolutionizing gaming. Like, mix all the genres.

An Open world MMORPG game, with Real world stuff in it, stores, businesses, and fantasies (Super powers, etc.) A game that is not just 1 game, but a game that is a FPS, MMORPG, Open World - etc. game.

I like to experiment with new worlds and genres. lol. I.e. have a game that is multiple games within a game.

From FPS, to Strategy games, etc. To governing a Nation, and waging war, from clans, tribes, to whole nations.. So many ideas.
I'm not sure gaming engines can currently support multiple gaming formats as you propose. Tale for example the new unreal engine, great for open world - but if it's something a bit more specialist like anti gravity combat racing - unreal engine wouldn't be the best choice platform for the build.

As for virtual reality in gaming - it's becoming a thing. It's gonna be BIG. How about making a game where a budding young gamer who dreams of being a physician when he or she comes of age, can in virtual reality perform simple operations as part of a busy but underfunded hospital. The idea being, the gamer who has an interest in medical science, can perform a multitude of simulated reality operations and procedures within the virtual reality game.

Or

How about a virtual reality experience a city where Muslims have shops, schools, universities, museums, etc and you can walk around and use your credits to take lessons in things like archery, horse riding, visit the museums and libraries and speak to librarians and other interested Muslims about those topics etc? Bit like a forum, except, more interactive - virtual reality type. Not sure how we'd get around the whole avatar thing though.

I'm no expert, i'm just throwing ideas out here. Computer Gaming is a comtroversial issue within Islam. I think there is room for creative, educational experiences in gaming that do not fall into the haraam category per se.

Making that a reality, is up to guys like you, in sha Allah.

Scimi
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Mustafa16
03-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Scimi had a great answer. I mean, it all depends on what kinds of games you make. games which are "escapist" or immoral, you should not make, but educational ones or ones that dont teach kufr or other unislamic things would be nice.
Reply

Karl
03-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Nothing in the Quran about computer games. So it probably does not matter. But technology serves the evil most.
Reply

Serinity
03-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
I'm not sure gaming engines can currently support multiple gaming formats as you propose. Tale for example the new unreal engine, great for open world - but if it's something a bit more specialist like anti gravity combat racing - unreal engine wouldn't be the best choice platform for the build.

As for virtual reality in gaming - it's becoming a thing. It's gonna be BIG. How about making a game where a budding young gamer who dreams of being a physician when he or she comes of age, can in virtual reality perform simple operations as part of a busy but underfunded hospital. The idea being, the gamer who has an interest in medical science, can perform a multitude of simulated reality operations and procedures within the virtual reality game.

Or

How about a virtual reality experience a city where Muslims have shops, schools, universities, museums, etc and you can walk around and use your credits to take lessons in things like archery, horse riding, visit the museums and libraries and speak to librarians and other interested Muslims about those topics etc? Bit like a forum, except, more interactive - virtual reality type. Not sure how we'd get around the whole avatar thing though.

I'm no expert, i'm just throwing ideas out here. Computer Gaming is a comtroversial issue within Islam. I think there is room for creative, educational experiences in gaming that do not fall into the haraam category per se.

Making that a reality, is up to guys like you, in sha Allah.

Scimi
Tbh, I don't have much knowledge in the programming area - in fact, I have almost no knowledge. But I do have the motivation and desire.

you mean a simulator where you get to be what you want to be - a car engineer - or a surgeon. That's a cool idea!!

The other Idea is cool too. I'd need scholars etc. So that I can get the correct information, etc.

I am thinking of using Unreal Engine in making a Village / town, with lots of shops and places, like "Talk about Quran here" and another shop "Usool Ul Fiqh" etc.

Allahu alam.
Reply

Kiro
03-02-2017, 11:52 AM
If you're interested. I did send a question to Islamweb about cartoony games
@Serinity
Reply

Serinity
03-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Kiro
If you're interested. I did send a question to Islamweb about cartoony games
@Serinity
:salams

And what did they say?
Oh, as long as they don't look realistic? or life-like?

Btw, hey!! :D Lol.
Reply

Kiro
03-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
:salams

And what did they say?
Oh, as long as they don't look realistic? or life-like?

Btw, hey!! :D Lol.
I have only sent my question and now awaiting an answer

My question was pertaining to models that have a cartoony model (not realistic) and like 2D facial features. I did not give any example but for example Naruto Storm or Dragon Ball Unreal Game engine
Reply

Serinity
03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kiro
I have only sent my question and now awaiting an answer

My question was pertaining to models that have a cartoony model (not realistic) and like 2D facial features. I did not give any example but for example Naruto Storm or Dragon Ball Unreal Game engine
It is just that I am interested in developing a Open World MMORPG game. With dragons, etc. I want a game, where you can be you. Design your own character, and your own abilities too.

Games nowadays are open world, but they lack content. :/ Either that, or they lack openworld.

But it would help a lot if you helped me with Ideas. Now, I need a Game Engine, and Programming experience. But with an idea and knowledge.

But I also want, If I can, gain good deeds. In shaa' Allah.

And Allah :swt: knows best.
Reply

azc
03-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:Would it be halal for me to be a game developer? I like programming, and like gaming. And programming games sounds interesting.Is it permissible? Especially when modelling worlds, or characters?? Will it be seen as imitating the creation of Allah? Allahu alam.
when you have doubts then leave it...... Or talk to a mufti
Reply

Kiro
03-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
It is just that I am interested in developing a Open World MMORPG game. With dragons, etc. I want a game, where you can be you. Design your own character, and your own abilities too.

Games nowadays are open world, but they lack content. :/ Either that, or they lack openworld.

But it would help a lot if you helped me with Ideas. Now, I need a Game Engine, and Programming experience. But with an idea and knowledge.

But I also want, If I can, gain good deeds. In shaa' Allah.

And Allah :swt: knows best.
Me too. With awesome combat, a mix of Naruto
Reply

Serinity
03-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by azc
when you have doubts then leave it...... Or talk to a mufti
I want to know whether it is.

The advice about leave whatever is in doubt, is that an Islamic advice? If so,

Does it apply to all situations?

Because if we applied that to everything, a surgeon would just leave the patient to die.. So I will ask. I don't think this leave it advice is applicable in all situations.

Astaghfirullah. Allahu alam.
Reply

azc
03-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
I want to know whether it is. The advice about leave whatever is in doubt, is that an Islamic advice? If so, Does it apply to all situations? Because if we applied that to everything, a surgeon would just leave the patient to die.. So I will ask. I don't think this leave it advice is applicable in all situations. Astaghfirullah. Allahu alam.
does it help..? https://islamqa.info/en/98769
Reply

Serinity
03-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by azc
Now, how do I do that?
Reply

azc
03-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Now, how do I do that?
plz see this thread: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...elopment-Issue
Reply

Scimitar
03-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by azc
LOL that was worth reading for the entertaintment value haha.

The OP was about the same as this threads OP, but the first reply was "Have you played Portal?" like... MORON!!!

One bro posted he thinks those who use images are ok but not those who make them :S weirdo.

And the thread ends with the OP confused with no clear answer.

What was you attempting to prove bro azc? :D or was you just attempting to confuse the OP further?

Scimi
Reply

azc
03-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
LOL that was worth reading for the entertaintment value haha.The OP was about the same as this threads OP, but the first reply was "Have you played Portal?" like... MORON!!!One bro posted he thinks those who use images are ok but not those who make them :S weirdo.And the thread ends with the OP confused with no clear answer.What was you attempting to prove bro azc? :D or was you just attempting to confuse the OP further?Scimi
bro serenity is an active member of ummah so I shared this thread
Reply

azc
03-03-2017, 02:06 PM
@Scimitar : what is your suggestion to him..?
Reply

Scimitar
03-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I already gave him a few suggestions in this thread, post numbers 2 and 4, go read that if you are interested.

To be honest, the brother needs to learn coding and other things first like 3D mapping and textures and all sorts of other stuff - and then specialise in one area of game development. For example, 3D modelling, texture mapping, engine optimisation, coding, etc etc etc - no one can make a game of his vision on their own because it would take waaaaaay tooooo long - unless he is dreaming of android/ios games, which are way more limited in scope and so, no dev team necessary.

My job here is done. Nothing further to add. Seems bro Serenity has his work cut out for himself.

I wish him well,

Scimi
Reply

Mrciful_Servant
03-07-2017, 02:54 AM
Salam un alikum. To all Muslim brothers and sisters ...Brother I just saw that you wanted to be a game developer....and love programming....I would love to get some information about programming I want to be a software developer...so If u have got good online resources and other material which can help me learn programming...it would be a great pleasure ...[emoji4]
Reply

Mrciful_Servant
03-07-2017, 02:56 AM
And btw ....as long as you intend to do good with it...and do not publish something against Islam ....I think it is ok ....[emoji1305] to do...just intend to do good [emoji4]...with it and did not harm anyone or anything with it....
Reply

Serinity
03-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mrciful_Servant
Salam un alikum. To all Muslim brothers and sisters ...Brother I just saw that you wanted to be a game developer....and love programming....I would love to get some information about programming I want to be a software developer...so If u have got good online resources and other material which can help me learn programming...it would be a great pleasure ...[emoji4]
Wa alaikum salam,

I started from Codeacademy (https://www.codecademy.com/learn) basic Java scripts, etc. Idk much about Khan Academy, but it can also be good, In shaa' Allah.

I don't know where to start. C++ or c+ or Javascript, etc.
Reply

Serinity
03-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
I already gave him a few suggestions in this thread, post numbers 2 and 4, go read that if you are interested.

To be honest, the brother needs to learn coding and other things first like 3D mapping and textures and all sorts of other stuff - and then specialise in one area of game development. For example, 3D modelling, texture mapping, engine optimisation, coding, etc etc etc - no one can make a game of his vision on their own because it would take waaaaaay tooooo long - unless he is dreaming of android/ios games, which are way more limited in scope and so, no dev team necessary.

My job here is done. Nothing further to add. Seems bro Serenity has his work cut out for himself.

I wish him well,

Scimi
Yup, you are right!

I will try everything out - 3D modelling, to coding, etc. And see what fancies me most. And then specialise in that, In shaa' Allah.

unreal Engine 4.0 seems to be free. Will that be good for starters?
Reply

Scimitar
03-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Yup, you are right!

I will try everything out - 3D modelling, to coding, etc. And see what fancies me most. And then specialise in that, In shaa' Allah.
In sha Allah, may Allah develop you well, Ameen.

Originally Posted by Serinity
unreal Engine 4.0 seems to be free. Will that be good for starters?
For open world, yes. It's very powerful. I'd get onto a game dev forum and make a thread about my ideas (if I were you) and then ask interested members to post their skill set and availability - if you can start a sub forum inside the main one where Muslim coders can help to develop some games which also educate on matters of Islam, maybe history etc then why not?

having said this, you should know that this is not the direction games are going, although some would argue Assassin Creed is the answer, I would return with "go learn your history" becuase games like Assassins Creed make a mockery out of Muslims and have no educational value whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind playing a game where in an open world setting, somewhere in the dark ages of Europe to Golden Age of Islam, during a period of PEACE where there is no war or fighting, men are honoured for helping and building and learning new things - just like they were during the golden age of Islam - further, the end of the story mode would have a deep lesson attached - namely that, now the gamer has managed to do good deeds, learn new knowledges and benefit the people, help them in a variety of situations, and for building beneficial structures - why are they still playing? The game should encourage the gamer to go out into the real world and now do the very same deeds of helping people who need help, learning beneficial knowledge, building things which benefit, etc.

You game for this? or what? :)

Scimi
Reply

Serinity
03-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
In sha Allah, may Allah develop you well, Ameen.



For open world, yes. It's very powerful. I'd get onto a game dev forum and make a thread about my ideas (if I were you) and then ask interested members to post their skill set and availability - if you can start a sub forum inside the main one where Muslim coders can help to develop some games which also educate on matters of Islam, maybe history etc then why not?

having said this, you should know that this is not the direction games are going, although some would argue Assassin Creed is the answer, I would return with "go learn your history" becuase games like Assassins Creed make a mockery out of Muslims and have no educational value whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind playing a game where in an open world setting, somewhere in the dark ages of Europe to Golden Age of Islam, during a period of PEACE where there is no war or fighting, men are honoured for helping and building and learning new things - just like they were during the golden age of Islam - further, the end of the story mode would have a deep lesson attached - namely that, now the gamer has managed to do good deeds, learn new knowledges and benefit the people, help them in a variety of situations, and for building beneficial structures - why are they still playing? The game should encourage the gamer to go out into the real world and now do the very same deeds of helping people who need help, learning beneficial knowledge, building things which benefit, etc.

You game for this? or what? :)

Scimi
Well, I like violence and blood in games lol. Warfare, etc. you know battlefield, etc. And stuff, and fighting with swords lol.

So the game should, and will, have Islam at its centre.

What can I do with peaceful times? how can I fill in the gaps? Lol. I like conflict in games. So, what about a game, where one is taught how to be a Muslim in certain scenarios? How to run a state?

Like you control this main character who starts off as Muslim, who goes through The dark ages to the golden age of Islam. his job is to call people to Islam. he will be presented with dilemmas, conflicts, and Peaceful times.
Reply

Scimitar
03-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Well, I like violence and blood in games lol. Warfare, etc. you know battlefield, etc. And stuff, and fighting with swords lol.
That's where I draw a line.

Originally Posted by Serinity
So the game should, and will, have Islam at its centre.
No blood, gore, violence. OK?

Originally Posted by Serinity
What can I do with peaceful times? how can I fill in the gaps? Lol. I like conflict in games. So, what about a game, where one is taught how to be a Muslim in certain scenarios? How to run a state?
You really have to ask? :D bro, do this, check out the types of open world games that are not violent, like ones where you build a city and facilitate trade and industry, and modify those gaming ideas with an islamic twist, such as Masjids where players can go and learn to compete in QA on Islam. Just one idea I quickly came up with - give your idea some love, some time, and some Islamic context, and you may be pleasnatly surprised with what fruits from that experience in sha Allah.

Originally Posted by Serinity
Like you control this main character who starts off as Muslim, who goes through The dark ages to the golden age of Islam. his job is to call people to Islam. he will be presented with dilemmas, conflicts, and Peaceful times.
That could work, but no swords and blood, please :) do something NEW.

Scimi
Reply

shantu
10-19-2018, 03:02 PM
hi, i like the idea of this game . How far with that halal game, i am a Muslim and a hoddy game developer. I have experience in game development (unity engine). I am interested in developing halal games.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2015, 05:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:04 PM
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!