/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for studying a subject like history

Muslimah inshal
04-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Could you give some tips on how to study history as it is a difficult subject with so many battles , dates , ...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
04-03-2017, 02:37 PM
With such a broad expanse of time we call history, it's best to take a period you are interested in and look to read about it from the mainstream circles first - but do not accept anything as truth - just investigative opinion.

After this, read up on those historians who commented on same period but with an alternative historical narrative. You will find contradictions between both camps and this is where the importance is, because this is where they differ and this is where the truth is buried and you have to dig to find it.

Occasionally, you will find historians discussing things which you may know nothing of, for example - geology, or archaeology etc, and if you consider what they are saying as integral to your tudy, then you should also do some basic research into the ology in question so you can follow what the archaeological comment was attempting to infer.

This is a common basic introduction and route to investigating history.

You will need things like maps of the area you are studying which reflect the geographical borders of nations in that period, you'll find the geo-political landscape of history has always been shifting, moving, morphing.

You will in time, make useful observations which apply to all periods of history, such as how when empires fall, it is usually because of moral decline in society and this always happend in a society which has peaked - from that point, there's only one direction left - downwards and this is what historians have known for ages - that empires fall when morality takes a back seat. It is insights like these which help us to understand the period we sit within now.

Hope this helps,

God bless.

sister herb
04-03-2017, 06:26 PM
I have always loved to read about history but the way the school teached it was very narrow. Just like this: wars, kings and dates. It felt like kings wouldn´t done anything else than born, started wars and died all the time. I loved to go to the library and looking for books (I studied at the ancient times before the internet was invented) about those earlier times, like about art, social life, literature etc. to get larger picture. It took time but I also got better perspective why things happened as they did, how people spent their life, what kind of things were important to them.

It also was important to me to know why the king XX started his wars, not only know when he started them what was the only thing what they teached about his time at the school.

Butterfly
04-03-2017, 06:39 PM
In world history, my teacher made us create a timeline that we would contribute to throughout the course period. This helped keep track of dates. When it take time to studying for exams, I could easily go back and get an overview idea of what event fell where on the time line.

As for characters, you can take note cards and write the names on one side and a description on the back. Include notes about who this person is important, what was his or her contribution to history, etc. Birth and death dates and origins.

If you're just trying to study history for fun...there are a couple different approaches: 1. Chronological, 2. thematic. Dabble in each and see what works for you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Butterfly
04-03-2017, 06:40 PM
*how this person ^

Muslimah inshal
04-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Jazakumu allahu Khairan for helping ![emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G530FZ using IslamicBoard mobile app

Huzaifah ibn Adam
04-03-2017, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
With such a broad expanse of time we call history, it's best to take a period you are interested in and look to read about it from the mainstream circles first - but do not accept anything as truth - just investigative opinion.

After this, read up on those historians who commented on same period but with an alternative historical narrative. You will find contradictions between both camps and this is where the importance is, because this is where they differ and this is where the truth is buried and you have to dig to find it.

Occasionally, you will find historians discussing things which you may know nothing of, for example - geology, or archaeology etc, and if you consider what they are saying as integral to your tudy, then you should also do some basic research into the ology in question so you can follow what the archaeological comment was attempting to infer.

This is a common basic introduction and route to investigating history.

You will need things like maps of the area you are studying which reflect the geographical borders of nations in that period, you'll find the geo-political landscape of history has always been shifting, moving, morphing.

You will in time, make useful observations which apply to all periods of history, such as how when empires fall, it is usually because of moral decline in society and this always happend in a society which has peaked - from that point, there's only one direction left - downwards and this is what historians have known for ages - that empires fall when morality takes a back seat. It is insights like these which help us to understand the period we sit within now.

Hope this helps,

God bless.
In your opinion, is travelling a requirement for becoming a good historian?

Scimitar
04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
In your opinion, is travelling a requirement for becoming a good historian?
In the old times, it was necessary.

But in the modern sense, it depends on your level of interest. I would always say travel, get scope, clarity, see for yourself that which you wish to understand if you can afford it in sha Allah.

All nations have museums, and historians - and each nation has it's own version of it's own history. Which, contrasts with mainstream history, and depending on their specialty, historians will travel to museums and archives around the world, or work with communities or groups like survivors of war etc, to record their accounts as "witness statement".

Of course, for the casual hobby historian whose interest is merely "interest" itself, he/she can read about the results of these expeditions, archive visits, witness statements, etc all from their published works.

Scimi

Serinity
04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
:salam:

I once likened the kings of the past to the presidents of today - lol, in history class. my teacher said I was wrong but gave me no reason to why. :/ lol.

I like "twisting" history. in other words, if the books say "x" I think what if "y".. Try to challenge the books lol.

I hate to take things from schools - face value.

Scimitar
04-03-2017, 09:48 PM
That's not a method you are following, it's whim.

Method stops one from committing intellectual suicide ;)

Scimi

greenhill
04-03-2017, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
It also was important to me to know why the king XX started his wars, not only know when he started them what was the only thing what they teached about his time at the school.
Ha ha.. From what I know, the Kings usually got the wrap for things (sometimes it was them and their whimsical wants) but mostly it was their advisors that advised them accordingly. And if you go deeper, you might find some consistencies in who their advisors were... and in my opinion, they were mostly manipulated...

:peace:

sister herb
04-04-2017, 07:29 AM
^ Like they are same also today. We can find easily that history repeats itself.

Kiro
04-04-2017, 09:42 AM

snip

Scimi
I don't know what's going on but what do you think of travelling to excavation sites or something that has a historic past? Of course except places that are haram to visit like the places Allah destroyed as punishment for nations

Serinity
04-04-2017, 11:01 AM

I didn't know that visiting nations that were punished, was haram.

Allahu alam.

Kiro
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity

Allahu alam.
Well I think it's actually using things from there
@huzaifa h ibn adam

Scimitar
04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
I don't know what's going on but what do you think of travelling to excavation sites or something that has a historic past? Of course except places that are haram to visit like the places Allah destroyed as punishment for nations
Not necessarily,

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): Travel in the land and see what was the end of those who rejected truth”[al-An’aam 6:11]

“Say to them (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): “Travel in the land and see how has been the end of the Mujrimoon (criminals, those who denied Allaah’s Messengers and disobeyed Allaah)”[al-Naml 27:69]

al-Qaasimi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said they are the ones who go to different places to study the ruins and learn a lesson from them and seek other benefits.
Mahaasin al-Ta’weel (16/225).

Scimi

Kiro
04-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Not necessarily,

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): Travel in the land and see what was the end of those who rejected truth”[al-An’aam 6:11]

“Say to them (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): “Travel in the land and see how has been the end of the Mujrimoon (criminals, those who denied Allaah’s Messengers and disobeyed Allaah)”[al-Naml 27:69]

al-Qaasimi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said they are the ones who go to different places to study the ruins and learn a lesson from them and seek other benefits.
Mahaasin al-Ta’weel (16/225).

Scimi
I remember now

Scimitar
04-04-2017, 01:57 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_historians

Knock yourselves out ! :)

Scimi

ardianto
04-04-2017, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah inshal
Could you give some tips on how to study history as it is a difficult subject with so many battles , dates , ...
Are you student?. From what I know only students who think they have to memorize dates in history. While people who learn history not with purpose to pass exam do not think to memorize dates because they know they would not able to memorize.

I love learn history since I was kid. Since I was kid my father had motivate me to love reading. It made me grew as kid who always curious, and it lead me to curious about what happened in the past, how people in the past lived their life.

Curiosity. This is what makes us interested to study history. Without curiosity we would not interested to history.

sister herb
04-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Allahu alam.
How do we know which nations have been punished? :nervous:

Huzaifah ibn Adam
04-04-2017, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Well I think it's actually using things from there
@huzaifah ibn adam
You are referring to the following Ahaadeeth:

عن عبد الله بن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال : لما مر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم بالحجر
قال : لا تدخلوا مساكن الذين ظلموا أنفسهم أن يصيبكم ما أصابهم إلا أن تكونوا باكين ثم قنع رأسه ، وأسرع السير حتى أجاز الوادي

Hadhrat `Abdullaah ibn `Umar رضي الله عنهما narrates: "When Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم passed by al-Hijr, he said: "Do not enter the dwellings of those who had wronged themselves, less what (`Adhaab) afflicted them afflicts you, except in the state of crying." Thereafter, he covered his head and hastened the travel until he had passed the valley." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]

عن عبد الله بن عمر رضي الله عنهما ، أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم لما نزل الحجر في غزوة تبوك أمرهم ألا يشربوا من بئرها ، ولا يستقوا منها ، فقالوا : قد عجنا منها ، واستقينا ، فأمرهم أن يطرحوا ذلك العجين ، ويهريقوا ذلك الماء

Hadhrat `Abdullaah ibn `Umar رضي الله عنهما narrates that when Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم passed by al-Hijr on the way to Tabook, he commanded them (the Sahaabah) not to drink from the well nor collect water from it. They said: "We have made dough (using this water) and we have collected water from it." So he ordered them to throw away that dough and to throw out the water (that they had collected)." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]

Imaam ibn Hajr al-`Asqalaani رحمة الله عليه said:

وفي الحديث الحث على المراقبة ، والزجر عن السكنى في ديار المعذبين ، والإسراع عند المرور بها

"In this Hadeeth, there is encouragement towards Muraaqabah (contemplation), and warning from staying in the lands of those who are punished, and to make haste when passing by (these dwellings)."

Imaam ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah رحمة الله عليه said:

من مر بديار المغضوب عليهم والمعذبين لم ينبغ له أن يدخلها ، ولا يقيم بها ، بل يسرع السير ، ويتقنع بثوبه حتى يجاوزها ، ولا يدخل عليهم إلا باكيا معتبرا

"Whosoever passes by the dwellings of those upon whom is the Anger of Allaah and who are punished, then it is not appropriate for him to enter (those dwellings) nor to stay there; rather, he should hasten his travel and cover his head with his garment until he has passed by it, and he should not enter upon them except in the state of crying and taking lesson."

Imaam al-Qurtubi, Imaam an-Nawawi and others, have mentioned that Salaah performed at these places is not valid. These are places that are cursed and which the `Adhaab of Allaah Ta`aalaa befell. The reason for staying away is because, if a person enters them, that very same `Adhaab that befell them can befall this one who enters. Thus, the wise person will stay away from them entirely. People who would travel there today would do so as some kind of sight-seeing trip, a "joy ride", and snapping away "selfies" and stuff like that, and so the `Adhaab of these places can overtake them.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

noraina
04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I just love studying history. I've always been fascinated with ancient Egypt, the 'cradles of civilisation', and I've particularly liked researching about the background and history of the monotheistic faiths. Amazon was my best friend - I got my hands on all types of weird and interesting books you'd never find in the local library.

Oh, and those ancient superpowers and empires - I realised the past was most of the time a dark place to be, if you were in a brief pocket of 'peace' you were lucky.

My studies have pretty casual, but as a general tip on memorisation - make short, concise notes, either through timetables or bullet points and reread them again and again. And also associate the date with a central event, it'll help you remember. Some good old rote-learning never goes to waste.

Scimitar
04-04-2017, 06:28 PM
You are referring to the following Ahaadeeth:

عن عبد الله بن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال : لما مر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم بالحجر
قال : لا تدخلوا مساكن الذين ظلموا أنفسهم أن يصيبكم ما أصابهم إلا أن تكونوا باكين ثم قنع رأسه ، وأسرع السير حتى أجاز الوادي

Hadhrat `Abdullaah ibn `Umar رضي الله عنهما narrates: "When Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم passed by al-Hijr, he said: "Do not enter the dwellings of those who had wronged themselves, less what (`Adhaab) afflicted them afflicts you, except in the state of crying." Thereafter, he covered his head and hastened the travel until he had passed the valley." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]
Interesting bro, :) I do recall reading these ahadeeth a long time ago, but found them quite problematic, I'll explain why in a moment in sha Allah, maybe you can help me to understand these better.

عن عبد الله بن عمر رضي الله عنهما ، أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم لما نزل الحجر في غزوة تبوك أمرهم ألا يشربوا من بئرها ، ولا يستقوا منها ، فقالوا : قد عجنا منها ، واستقينا ، فأمرهم أن يطرحوا ذلك العجين ، ويهريقوا ذلك الماء

Hadhrat `Abdullaah ibn `Umar رضي الله عنهما narrates that when Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم passed by al-Hijr on the way to Tabook, he commanded them (the Sahaabah) not to drink from the well nor collect water from it. They said: "We have made dough (using this water) and we have collected water from it." So he ordered them to throw away that dough and to throw out the water (that they had collected)." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]

Imaam ibn Hajr al-`Asqalaani رحمة الله عليه said:

وفي الحديث الحث على المراقبة ، والزجر عن السكنى في ديار المعذبين ، والإسراع عند المرور بها

"In this Hadeeth, there is encouragement towards Muraaqabah (contemplation), and warning from staying in the lands of those who are punished, and to make haste when passing by (these dwellings)."
Where is the encouragement towards contemplation? I don't see it.

Imaam ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah رحمة الله عليه said:

من مر بديار المغضوب عليهم والمعذبين لم ينبغ له أن يدخلها ، ولا يقيم بها ، بل يسرع السير ، ويتقنع بثوبه حتى يجاوزها ، ولا يدخل عليهم إلا باكيا معتبرا

"Whosoever passes by the dwellings of those upon whom is the Anger of Allaah and who are punished, then it is not appropriate for him to enter (those dwellings) nor to stay there; rather, he should hasten his travel and cover his head with his garment until he has passed by it, and he should not enter upon them except in the state of crying and taking lesson."

Imaam al-Qurtubi, Imaam an-Nawawi and others, have mentioned that Salaah performed at these places is not valid. These are places that are cursed and which the `Adhaab of Allaah Ta`aalaa befell. The reason for staying away is because, if a person enters them, that very same `Adhaab that befell them can befall this one who enters. Thus, the wise person will stay away from them entirely. People who would travel there today would do so as some kind of sight-seeing trip, a "joy ride", and snapping away "selfies" and stuff like that, and so the `Adhaab of these places can overtake them.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام
This sounds very superstitious and Islam did away with superstition. Also, in light of Qur'an, it seems the ahadeeth you quoted directly contradict the ayaat:

This ayah above is clearly commanding the Prophet pbuh to tell them (the believers) to go visit those perished nations to see what befell them for rejecting truth. This idea is in the Qur'an but none of the ahadeeth you quoted, and I did mention above how you quoted Ibn Hajar Al Asqalani RA to have said "there is encouragement towards Muraaqabah (contemplation)" this is not in the ahadeeth you quoted - but Qur'an. The idea is evident in Al An'aam 6:11 - to see what befell them for disbelieving - that is an invited inference to contemplating reality from Qur'an. It seems to contradict the narrative of hadeeth which shun the idea of contemplation in lieu of hurrying past the area in fear for superstitious things happening. I don't buy it.

Commenting on this ayah, al-Qaasimi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said they are the ones who go to different places to study the ruins and learn a lesson from them and seek other benefits. Mahaasin al-Ta’weel (16/225).

My issue is as follows.

The hadeeth suggest not to visit these places.

The Qur'an suggest that we do.

Why?

Scimi

sister herb
04-04-2017, 06:43 PM
When I was a kid, I read everything about native Americans and their history and dreamed I would know few of them at one day. And what a surprise, I really got to know one of them later. What was bigger surprise - she too was the Muslim.

Mustafa16
04-04-2017, 07:10 PM
My advice is to look at history from the perspective of common people who were affected by it, not just as a battle of kings, nations, armies, and empires. Look at how it affects people. A big mistake historians later down the road can make with regards to studying Muslims in our time is not following this advice. Too often politicians and their followers, as well as historians, see things in black and white, or as nation vs nation, without regards to how war affects common people caught up in the crosshairs, such as "collateral damage" in Modern day Western (and Muslim) bombings of Muslim countries in an effort to root out terrorists and enemy combatants.

Serinity
04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm rather confused. The Qur'aan seems to suggest, from my understanding, that we should visit the perished nations to take lesson and learn from them.

Does the hadith prohibit it entirely? Qur'aan seems to encourage visiting...

Allahu alam

Scimitar
04-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Even that is half baked mustafa16

Scimitar
04-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Does the hadith prohibit it entirely? Qur'aan seems to encourage visiting...

Indeed,

I always favour the Qur'an over the ahadeeth anyhow so for me, there is no contention. I like to visit sites of antiquity to see things for my self - as long as it aint haraam bro, no one can tell me it's wrong ;)

Scimi

binthamza
04-11-2017, 12:24 AM
History is my favorite subject. From a teachers point of view you do not necessarily need to know specific dates. You just need to know the order of events. What caused each event and the effect it had on the people socially economically, politically. When I'm teaching history I like to create a timeline and as we cover important events or learn about important people, I have students jot down the information and we put it on our timeline we made on our classroom wall. I believe their are free websites that allow you to do the same thing digitally. If you tell me which history you are studying I can find some resources for you.

Samiun
04-11-2017, 02:05 AM
:sl: I guess everyone pretty much covered it up although I want to say it depends on the format of your exam. For us we had to answer 40(or 30) objective questions and about five subjective questions and one essay. I usually memorize the important bits or what usually comes out on past year papers and focus on them. It's not easy so I just go through speed reading the other chapters or just read what is most likely going to come up as a question.

The important bits for me were about 6 chapters covering the early civillizations from Mesopotamia to Greece, Thailand and then colonization in South East Asia and its historical figures that resisted them.

Silas
04-25-2017, 05:19 PM
I taught history, rhetoric, literature, and technical writing at a university before I went back into the private sector (I now work in IT). I have a passion for history.

Some things you might want to look at are

1. History podcasts: Dan Carlin has a really good one called "Hardcore History". It is from a somewhat American point-of-view, but he stays pretty objective. The stories are fascinating and engaging. http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

2. Find specialists in the given area who write books that appeal to a wide audience. I am sure there are many in Arabic, but as an English speaker, I can recommend Peter Hopkirk for histories of central Asia, Paul Johnson for American and British history, and Warren Treadgold for Greek and Byzantine history. These histories are illuminating and entertaining.

3. Find yourself some good video documentaries. Even youtube has some good free stuff.

4. Look at some historical memoirs. I have read many, and getting a first-hand account of events gives me much greater insight as to what "really happened". Some of these can be controversial (especially anything dealing with WWII), but those are typically the most interesting to read.

Scimitar
04-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Assalaam alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by Silas
I taught history, rhetoric, literature, and technical writing at a university before I went back into the private sector (I now work in IT). I have a passion for history.
:)

Have you ever read the ancient historians like Herodotus, Thucydides, Strabo, Josephus etc?

Scimi

Silas
04-25-2017, 07:45 PM
yes, my particular are of research was what we call late Imperial rhetoric, logic, and political discourse. Authors such as Macrobius, Symmachus, Julian, etc., but I did also touch on the older Greek authors.

Those that are interested in these subjects should obviously read Ibn Rushd, Ibn Sina , and Al-Farabi as well, especially if you can read them in the original.

:)

Have you ever read the ancient historians like Herodotus, Thucydides, Strabo, Josephus etc?

Scimi[/QUOTE]

Scimitar
04-25-2017, 07:52 PM
I'm impressed, shame you live across the pond from me - we could have had a coffee together :)

God bless,

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.