/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shaking hands

Muslimah inshal
04-05-2017, 10:37 AM
How should a Muslim explain to a non muslim ( be it a teacher , friend , neighbour ) that we don't shake hands but in a polite way. Also with your Muslim family members because some Muslims seem not to understand that it's not good to shake hands with the opposite gender .
I think explaining it to a non Muslim would understand better that explaining it to a Muslim .

Hope you are all doing well!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
respecta
04-05-2017, 02:51 PM
As a male working in a non-muslim environment, instead of me explaining the entire reason behind it, I just say due to faith reasons I can only shake hands with a family female member only.

So maybe you can say 'Due to faith reasons I can only shake hands with my family members only'.

If you want to diffuse the situation in case its too tense, maybe give them a sweet / chocolate in their hand.

Muslimah inshal
04-05-2017, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by respecta
As a male working in a non-muslim environment, instead of me explaining the entire reason behind it, I just say due to faith reasons I can only shake hands with a family female member only.

So maybe you can say 'Due to faith reasons I can only shake hands with my family members only'.

If you want to diffuse the situation in case its too tense, maybe give them a sweet / chocolate in their hand.
Oh okay good idea and Jazaka allahu Khairan for the sentence!

Silas
04-26-2017, 02:12 AM
I visited a masjid recently, and the women there shook my hand, and the men shook my wife's hand

Is the prohibition against shaking the hands of a woman who is not a family member specific to certain branches of Islam?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslimah inshal
04-26-2017, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silas
I visited a masjid recently, and the women there shook my hand, and the men shook my wife's hand

Is the prohibition against shaking the hands of a woman who is not a family member specific to certain branches of Islam?
Yes you can only shake hands with your family members like your dad , brothers, sisters , ...
But maybe they shook hands because it's the first time that they meet you and maybe they didn't want to seem disrespectful. But it's not disrespectful it's just for Islamic reasons that men can't shake hands with women and vice versa ( it's showing respect to eachother ) .

Sorry if you didn't understand tell me and I'll try to explain myself more .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.