/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on posting baby's picture on fb

LauraBaha
05-01-2017, 02:43 PM
AsSalamu Alaykum.(Facebook) I had pictures of my newborn to show my family but my husband deleted them saying since they're non Muslim they don't know the rules of the evil eye (not saying masha'Allah).. anyways what's the ruling in posting pictures? My family really should see the baby and Facebook is the only way., Since my husband doesnt want his daughter to have pictures online does that mean I have no say? [emoji17]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
05-01-2017, 02:46 PM
People are evil.

...refrain from posting pictures unless you can verbally slap people everytime they show a forked tongue.

Hmm.. the irony is not lost on me.

Try not to look back.

*charisma*
05-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Walaikum Asalaam

format_quote Originally Posted by LauraBaha
AsSalamu Alaykum.(Facebook) I had pictures of my newborn to show my family but my husband deleted them saying since they're non Muslim they don't know the rules of the evil eye (not saying masha'Allah).. anyways what's the ruling in posting pictures? My family really should see the baby and Facebook is the only way., Since my husband doesnt want his daughter to have pictures online does that mean I have no say? [emoji17]
You should perform ruqyaa on your child to protect him from any type of hasad in general because it can be caused by anyone. As for sharing his pics, if it's your immediate family then maybe you can come to a compromise. Like posting the pic up privately only for them to see and then removing it afterwards.

For performing ruqyaa on a child, check out this link: https://islamqa.info/en/104454

LauraBaha
05-01-2017, 03:12 PM
JazakAllah Khair. Honestly I didn't know anything about ruqyaaso thank you for the link. I will definitely be doing it on her. And maybe I'll just print off pictures and send them to the family or show the pictures when i go to visit inshaAlllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Can´t you send picture via email as attachment file?

LauraBaha
05-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Yes I can (:

Umm♥Layth
05-02-2017, 01:41 AM
Many cultures, in fact MOST cultures around the world are aware of evil eye, but they don't have fine details the way we do in Islam. They tend to try and protect themselves by using shirk (usually in a form of a charm). The modern generation has, for the most part, dismissed it as superstition.

Anyone can give anyone evil eye, not just to babies. They don't have to intend to give evil eye and there is no way for you to ever be able to tell how somebody feels deep down inside.

Lets' say your child's photo is seen by a woman who has fertility problems. Although she may be happy for you and your family, she may have feelings of jealousy or envy deep down, even if she is a good person. We cannot always help our humanness. So it is best to take measures to protect yourself and your family, like not sharing photos, talking about accomplishments or anything like that in public. It is difficult at first, but you learn to really appreciate privacy after a while.

cinnamonrolls1
05-04-2017, 07:42 PM
^^^^ Good point

fromelsewhere
05-09-2017, 10:43 PM
From a technical perspective (in case you weren't aware), when you make a post on Facebook, you can select to have only specific people see your post, without having to share it with the whole wide world. So you can select to share the pictures with only your parents and siblings and not all your 1001 "friends".

cinnamonrolls1
05-13-2017, 08:37 AM
I recently watched a documentary on facebook, and long story short, even if your profile is private, there is still ways of seeing pics etc, eg thru someone your friends with who has a public pic. Not trying to scare anyone or anything ;)

noraina
05-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Even a Muslim can give another Muslim the 'evil eye', true other cultures have different ways of approaching this topic or might not even take it seriously. I understand where your husband is coming from, and also how delighted you are to have had a child (ma'sha'Allah :)) and you wish to share it with those you love.

Overall, it is a good idea to keep as lowkey as possible when it comes to social media. You don't need to always share details of your married life, or where you went to eat or for a holiday, or your children all the time...and actually, I found the less you project to the world, the happier you be. And how strongly this is tried to the evil eye or not I don't known, but it certainly makes life easier.

Maybe, as has been said, you could email your baby's pictures to relatives or even on facebook send them through a private message?

noraina
05-13-2017, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fromelsewhere
From a technical perspective (in case you weren't aware), when you make a post on Facebook, you can select to have only specific people see your post, without having to share it with the whole wide world. So you can select to share the pictures with only your parents and siblings and not all your 1001 "friends".
This ^^^ I don't have a Facebook account but my mother does, and she always does this.

format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
I recently watched a documentary on facebook, and long story short, even if your profile is private, there is still ways of seeing pics etc, eg thru someone your friends with who has a public pic. Not trying to scare anyone or anything
I watched that documentary as well....subhanAllah, nothing is private anymore.

fromelsewhere
05-14-2017, 02:05 AM
The 'evil eye' affects most those who fear it most. While I am not a big user of facebook myself, there are a few things I sometimes want to share with close friends and family. Let's not get all paranoid here about the OP's family casting an 'evil eye' onto the baby. We are not talking about the OP sharing photos of the newborn baby with the whole wide web, but just with her immediate family (mom, dad, siblings, duh). Of course, nothing is 100% guaranteed to be private on the Internet, but Facebook usually does a pretty good job at preventing hacking and private things from becoming public, otherwise they would not have a successful business model. Social media, like any other technological tool, can be a bliss or a curse depending on how you use it.

Anyways, lots of people have babies; I just wouldn't send my photo to someone who is experiencing fertility problems and who may be obviously envious and bitter to see others having babies (and it wouldn't be out of fear of the 'evil eye' that I would avoid doing that but more out of consideration for how that person might feel).

cinnamonrolls1
05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
This ^^^ I don't have a Facebook account but my mother does, and she always does this.

I watched that documentary as well....subhanAllah, nothing is private anymore.
Yep, subhanallah! Its so scary, very thankful i deactivated my fb account a couple of years ago

Supernova
05-14-2017, 09:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraBaha
Asalaamualaykum.

Your husband unfortunately doesn't have a proper understanding of "evil eye".
The evil is related to two aspects of Islam.
1. Not associating the credit of a creation of Allah SWT.
2. Hassad (Jealousy)

On both accounts even a Muslim can cast an Evil Eye on another person. This can happen both knowingly and unknowingly.

If you look at the two points that I have mentioned above, you will realise that its not only non-muslims who can cast an evil eye but also Muslims as Muslims with a weak understanding of the Sifath of Allah SWT can fall in point number 1 and that every Muslim can easily fall into Hassad. Your husband relating his reason is in reality a very inflammatory & bias remark. He needs to go learn the Quran & Hadith to understand that Rasool SAW has made clear that his ummah must not fall into Hassad. Hassad is a mechanism by which Evil eye is casted - so it will be obvious that from many Hadith and Ayah that even Muslims can be guilty of Hassad.

Everyone is susceptible to an evil eye irrespective of their age.
If your husband is to inspect his own principle here - then effectively no non-Muslim is to ever see your child ! What is your husband going to do for the rest of the childs life? Someone is bound to see the child as they grow up, then into teens, then into adulthood.

On the other hand your husband has a partial point that Hassad and Evil Eye should be invited - but yet his principle on the issue is still incorrect.

The solution of evil eye is not to hide in a hole. The solution are many Surahs and Ayahs in the Quran whereby there lay Shifa.

Wasalaam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.