/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Militants attack Christians in Egypt, killing at least 28

Singularity
05-26-2017, 04:20 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/news/egyp...102255009.html

Militants attack Christians in Egypt, killing at least 28

MAGGIE MICHAEL and HAMZA HENDAWI,Associated Press 8 minutes ago

CAIRO (AP) — Masked gunmen riding in three SUVs opened fire Friday on a packed bus taking Coptic Christians on a visit to a monastery south of Egypt's capital, killing at least 28 people, including two little children, authorities said.Twenty-two others were reported wounded.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, the fourth to target Christians since December, but it bore the hallmarks of the Islamic State group. The bloodshed came on the eve of the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.For years, Islamic militants have been waging an insurgency mostly centered in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, though a growing number of attacks have recently also taken place on the mainland.The bus came under fire on a side road in the desert on its way to the remote monastery of St. Samuel the Confessor in Maghagha, about 220 kilometers (140 miles) south of Cairo.The monastery, reachable only by a short, unpaved route that veers off the main highway, is in Minya province, where Christians account for more than 35 percent of the population, the highest level of any province.Security officials quoted witnesses as saying they saw eight to 10 attackers in military uniforms and masks.Arab TV stations showed images of a bus riddled with bullet holes, with many of its windows shattered and bloodstains on the seats. Bodies lay on the ground, covered with black plastic sheets. Children could be heard screaming hysterically in the background.

Security and medical officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters, said the death toll stood at 28 but could rise.Local officials said the dead included two little girls, ages 2 and 4.The government is likely to tighten security around churches, monasteries, schools and annual pilgrimages to remote Christian sites across the country.The surge in violence against Christians in Egypt has added to the formidable challenges facing President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's government as it struggles to contain the insurgency while pushing ahead with an ambitious and politically sensitive reform program to revive the country's ailing economy. The program has sent the cost of food and services soaring."The growing number of these terror attacks is not at all reassuring," Father Rafic Greiche, spokesman for the Egyptian Catholic church, told a local TV station.On Wednesday, Egypt blocked access to nearly two dozen websites it said were sympathetic to militants or spreading their ideology.Last month, el-Sissi declared a three-month state of emergency following twin suicide bombings that struck two churches north of Cairo on Palm Sunday. In December, a suicide bomber targeted a Cairo church. The attacks, for which the Islamic State claimed responsibility, left at least 75 people dead.After a visit to Egypt last month by Pope Francis, the Islamic State vowed to escalate attacks against Christians and urged Muslims to steer clear of Christian gatherings and Western embassies.Egypt's Copts, the Middle East's largest Christian community, have long complained of discrimination and violence at the hands of radicals from the country's Muslim majority. The Copts account for about 10 percent of Egypt's 93 million people.More recently, some Christians have complained that the government is not doing enough to protect them.They rallied behind el-Sissi, a general-turned-president, in 2013 when he ousted his Islamist predecessor Mohammed Morsi, who hails from the Muslim Brotherhood. Attacks on Christian homes, businesses and churches subsequently surged.___Associated Press writer Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
fromelsewhere
05-26-2017, 07:25 PM
May the murderers of these unfortunate Coptic Christians find no tranquility in this world or the next (providing that there is another world, of course).

AbdurRahman.
05-26-2017, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fromelsewhere
May the murderers of these unfortunate Coptic Christians find no tranquility in this world or the next (providing that there is another world, of course).
brother we need to show mercy; these are deluded muslims who have been mislead by extremist intepretation; may God guide them

fromelsewhere
05-26-2017, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
brother we need to show mercy; these are deluded muslims who have been mislead by extremist intepretation; may God guide them
Mercy for murderers who have killed so ruthlessly and have no remorse? Once they actually repent, then we can talk about "mercy". Until then, I will keep my mercy for the innocent victims whose only sin was to be born in the wrong religion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AbdurRahman.
05-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Mercy for murderers who have killed so ruthlessly and have no remorse? Once they actually repent, then we can talk about "mercy". Until then, I will keep my mercy for the innocent victims whose only sin was to be born in the wrong religion.
we have to understand the context bro; they are not just coming out of the blue and murdering ...; they have been brainwashed by misinterpretations and egged on by christians killing muslim civilians in iraq syria etc so if we show ruthlessness towards them this will only make them only more ruthless; lets try to show them mercy so that they may do the same

fromelsewhere
05-26-2017, 07:46 PM
^ As far as I know, Copts have not been involved in Iraq, Syria or elsewhere.

noraina
05-26-2017, 07:51 PM
I was reading this earlier....such people have no shame subhanAllah.

Not only have they taken away the lives of innocent civilians for no reason, to do this on the eve of Ramadan and violate its sanctity like this... I'd like to know from where they get this twisted interpretation of Islam because I haven't come across anything like that in the Qur'an or the hadiths.

Things like this come into causing mischief and disruption on the earth - really strongly condemned by Islam.

noraina
05-26-2017, 07:58 PM
I can't imagine how Christians would be feeling in Egypt now....as a misunderstood minority religion.

I've felt vulnerable as a visibly Muslim woman on the occasions I've had to face Islamophobia - and it's horrible to think people would hate you solely for your beliefs.

LaSorcia
05-26-2017, 09:49 PM
You know, when this kind of stuff happens, I am never mad at Muslims. I know that, just as in Christianity and Judaism, it is not the true followers of God who are committing these acts.

Anyone can read church history and see the atrocities committed by supposed Christians. Any time God gives a revelation to the people in the dunya (I love that word, there is no equivalent in any other language that I know of), shaytan comes and tries to infiltrate the ummah/church/etc. to give the revelation a bad reputation among the unbelievers.

The only thing we can do is to cling fast to our imaan, pray for the misguided, the kufir and overcome evil with good. Come to think of it, that's actually a lot we can do. :D

AbdurRahman.
05-26-2017, 09:55 PM
^ As far as I know, Copts have not been involved in Iraq, Syria or elsewhere.
yeah your right but those nuts dont understand, they think islam says you can kill any christian civilian in return for christian killing muslim civilian! :Emoji29:

Aaqib
05-26-2017, 10:48 PM
I have a good friend who's Coptic Christian....

Hope the victim's families heal through this pain...

beleiver
05-26-2017, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I was reading this earlier....such people have no shame subhanAllah.

Not only have they taken away the lives of innocent civilians for no reason, to do this on the eve of Ramadan and violate its sanctity like this... I'd like to know from where they get this twisted interpretation of Islam because I haven't come across anything like that in the Qur'an or the hadiths.

Things like this come into causing mischief and disruption on the earth - really strongly condemned by Islam.
Saudi state Religion and their zionist allied countries openly preach hate and radicalize the masses from what i can see..All with the consent of western leaders..
The core of these terrorist groups that all stem from Saudi have always been western intelligence assets..Not only do they create fear, hate and terror and excuse for perpetual war the world over, they are very active in massacring Muslims too, dividing the Ummua and destroying Islams reputation..

People generally dont talk about it when they do the same to Shias , Sufis and other sects...doesnt get the same attention when Muslims are killed..

Cant seem to embedd the link, but this kind of thing will never be addressed on AlJazeera..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRYtWBISNY

fromelsewhere
05-26-2017, 11:47 PM
^ Another great conspiracy theory. This time from none less than a Jedi master!

Singularity
05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
https://i24news.tv/en/news/internati...y-after-attack

Tel Aviv's city hall lit up with the Egyptian flag in solidarity after attack

05/27/201712:40:54 PMUPDATED ON05/27/20171:38:51 PMWritten byi24NEWS

Tel Aviv lit up city hall with the colors of Egyptian flag Saturday night in solidarity with the Egyptian people after a vicious attack on its Coptic Christians that killed 29, including a large majority of children.It will be the first time the city hall has ever displayed the flags of an Arab nation.In recent years, it has become tradition for the municipality to demonstrate solidarity for acts of terror by illuminating the building with the flag of the respective country.The most recent saw the building illuminated with the UK's Union Jack after the Manchester Arena bombing, which took at least 22 lives and left 59 injured during what was the deadliest attack on UK soil in 12 years.La ville de Tel Aviv rend hommage aux victimes de l'attentat de ManchesterOn Friday, masked gunmen attacked a bus carrying nearly 50 Coptic Christians on a visit to a monastery south of the Egyptian capital.Pictures of the bus aired by state television showed the vehicle riddled with machine gun fire and its windows shot out.Cellphone footage and pictures circulated on Egyptian media sites showed several victims who had apparently been shot dead scattered in the desert sand around the bus.The shooting was the latest in a series of attacks by IS that have killed more than 100 Copts since December and Egyptian President Abdel Fatteh el-Sisi declared a three-month state of emergency last month in response to two church bombings that killed 43.

Egyptian mourners attend a memorial service at St Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Bani Mazar on May 27, 2017, a day after the bus massacre for the 29 people gunned down by masked gunmen in a bus attack the day beforeThe latest attack drew global condemnation."Terrorists are engaged in a war against civilization, and it is up to all who value life to confront and defeat this evil," US President Donald Trump said in a statement.Pope Francis, who visited Egypt in April, sent a message to Sisi saying he was "deeply saddened to learn of the barbaric attack".Israel strongly condemned the attack, sending condolences to the Egyptian people.Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tzipi Hotovely, wrote on Twitter that Israel condemned the "harming of the innocent" and "will continue to assist all entities combating terrorism."A statement from the Prime Minister's offices added: "There is no difference between the terror of the attack in Egypt and that of attacks in other countries. Terror will be defeated more quickly if all countries work together against it."Israel's relationship with Egypt has begun to thaw in recent years. It is one of only two Arab countries, the other being Jordan, to have signed peace treaties with Israel(Staff with AFP)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.