/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is caffeine haram?

Bobbyflay23
05-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Caffeine can kill a person if you drink I believe over 6 cups and can make you haulcinate if you drink like 5 cups or somthing and on top of that it's addicting with bad side effects in my opinion because if you stop drinking it you get in a bad mood and even my dad said he's losing is voice because he can't drink caffeine while fasting I've always thought it's haram and if so is it just the concentrated version of caffeine that's haram such as energy drinks and coffe drinks but things like soda are okay?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
05-28-2017, 12:02 AM
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/32978

Umm♥Layth
05-28-2017, 12:04 AM
As far as I know, it isn't haraam, but that doesn't mean you can't make it haraam. Abusing one's body is haraam as our bodies have a right over us. Caffeine is a drug and can be used for remedies such as migraines or to stay awake for worship. This isn't what people generally use caffeine for though. People often use caffeine as a bandaid for their lack of time management. They stay up late and don't allow their body to rest fully. They eat garbage and expect to have energy or they have an underlying health issue that they don't address and use caffeine, again for energy purposes and that isn't the correct way to use it.

So yeah, caffeine is greatly abused because it is allowed.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
But it can cover your judgement obviously since it can make you haulcinate and also if a intoxicant can intoxicate in high quantitys then in small quantitys it's haram too right? So sure at small doses it doesn't but at high Doses it can kill you and make you haulcinate

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
05-28-2017, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
But it can cover your judgement obviously since it can make you haulcinate and also if a intoxicant can intoxicate in high quantitys then in small quantitys it's haram too right? So sure at small doses it doesn't but at high Doses it can kill you and make you haulcinate
Water can kill you if you drink large amounts, but water is halal for us to drink. If you abuse anything it can have harmful effects on the body.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Water can kill you if you drink large amounts, but water is halal for us to drink. If you abuse anything it can have harmful effects on the body.
Ok but water you have to drink like 2 gallons of it or somthing which is almost impossible with coffe you can just go buy some 200mg caffeine pills pop a some and boom you die and your hauclinating

*charisma*
05-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Ok but water you have to drink like 2 gallons of it or somthing which is almost impossible with coffe you can just go buy some 200mg caffeine pills pop a some and boom you die and your hauclinating
;D ;D

Idk honestly considering it's in pill form. Sometimes derivatives of halal things become haram (eg. grapes>wine) But coffee and tea are halal for sure, so better to stick with that and drink moderately.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 01:22 AM
;D ;D

Idk honestly considering it's in pill form. Sometimes derivatives of halal things become haram (eg. grapes>wine) But coffee and tea are halal for sure, so better to stick with that and drink moderately.
No I was giving a example I was saying that sure water can kill you but you need to drink so much that you wouldn't be able to walk on the other hand coffe it doesn't take much to have really bad effects I'm not trying to be the haram police I just want to know if some of the beverages I drink are halal such as soda pop

*charisma*
05-28-2017, 01:40 AM
No I was giving a example I was saying that sure water can kill you but you need to drink so much that you wouldn't be able to walk on the other hand coffe it doesn't take much to have really bad effects I'm not trying to be the haram police I just want to know if some of the beverages I drink are halal such as soda pop
I understand, but everything halal has it's dose before it becomes harmful on the body. Of the things that we know are clearly haram to drink are blood and wine. Coffee and tea however are of those things which have always been halal, as well as caffeine. They become an issue when they are abused or overused. If a certain amount of coffee causes problems for you, for example, don't drink that much. Every body tolerates different amounts differently. Soda is halal as long as it has no haram additives. But I think you should be mindful about what you put in your body in general. Instead of drinking soda, try drinking fresh juices or water :p

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 01:48 AM
I understand, but everything halal has it's dose before it becomes harmful on the body. Of the things that we know are clearly haram to drink are blood and wine. Coffee and tea however are of those things which have always been halal, as well as caffeine. They become an issue when they are abused or overused. If a certain amount of coffee causes problems for you, for example, don't drink that much. Every body tolerates different amounts differently. Soda is halal as long as it has no haram additives. But I think you should be mindful about what you put in your body in general. Instead of drinking soda, try drinking fresh juices or water :p
I don't really drink soda often probably just ounce every 1 - 2 weeks but on very rare occasions 2 times a week and I do drink juice and stuff

*charisma*
05-28-2017, 02:00 AM
I don't really drink soda often probably just ounce every 1 - 2 weeks but on very rare occasions 2 times a week and I do drink juice and stuff
I used to drink juices a lot (the ones from the store) but when I realized how sugary they are, I started drinking water instead. I had to "wean" myself off ;D So I'd water it down a bit. Now whenever I drink juice it's wayy to sugary for me subhanallah. I hated drinking water at first too, but subhanallah eventually it was like my body needed it and it accepts nothing else. I rarely drink anything else. I love freshly squeezed juice though.

fromelsewhere
05-28-2017, 03:43 AM
Caffeine can kill a person if you drink I believe over 6 cups and can make you haulcinate if you drink like 5 cups or somthing and on top of that it's addicting with bad side effects in my opinion because if you stop drinking it you get in a bad mood and even my dad said he's losing is voice because he can't drink caffeine while fasting I've always thought it's haram and if so is it just the concentrated version of caffeine that's haram such as energy drinks and coffe drinks but things like soda are okay?
I know people who drink more than 5 cups of coffee a day and they don't start hallucinating or drop dead all of a sudden. In fact, I have never heard of someone hallucinating due to consuming caffeine. You can die of caffeine overdose, but you really need to overdo it really badly by drinking like 100 cups of coffee one after the other.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by fromelsewhere
I know people who drink more than 5 cups of coffee a day and they don't start hallucinating or drop dead all of a sudden. In fact, I have never heard of someone hallucinating due to consuming caffeine. You can die of caffeine overdose, but you really need to overdo it really badly by drinking like 100 cups of coffee one after the other.
I'm not talking a normal cup I'm talking about the like concentrated version I think it's called espresso people usually take it in shots and you can still take a minimal amount of caffine pills and have the effects I was talking about

fromelsewhere
05-28-2017, 06:46 AM
I'm not talking a normal cup I'm talking about the like concentrated version I think it's called espresso people usually take it in shots and you can still take a minimal amount of caffine pills and have the effects I was talking about
Hallucinations with an espresso shot? No... Caffeine is a stimulant and will make you more "awake", jittery, increase urination/GI stimulation, and so on.

The average cup of coffee contains between 80-200 mg caffeine.
The average espresso shot ~150 mg.
The average caffeine pill ~100 mg or 200 mg for extra-strength.
The average cup of black tea ~47 mg.
(see this link: https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/i...caffeine-chart)

Personally, I don't understand why someone would take a caffeine pill when you can just enjoy a nice cup of tea/coffee instead.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Hallucinations with an espresso shot? No... Caffeine is a stimulant and will make you more "awake", jittery, increase urination/GI stimulation, and so on.

The average cup of coffee contains between 80-200 mg caffeine.
The average espresso shot ~150 mg.
The average caffeine pill ~100 mg or 200 mg for extra-strength.
The average cup of black tea ~47 mg.
(see this link: https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/i...caffeine-chart)

Personally, I don't understand why someone would take a caffeine pill when you can just enjoy a nice cup of tea/coffee instead.
http://www.healthline.com/health/caf...-risk-factors2
Read all the symptoms of caffeine overdose

fromelsewhere
05-28-2017, 09:54 AM
http://www.healthline.com/health/caf...-risk-factors2
Read all the symptoms of caffeine overdose
Like I said, you need to take a heck of a lot of caffeine to get hallucinations... a near-lethal dose.

That being said, nothing stops you from considering caffeine to be Haram. Do as you please.

Bobbyflay23
05-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Like I said, you need to take a heck of a lot of caffeine to get hallucinations... a near-lethal dose.

That being said, nothing stops you from considering caffeine to be Haram. Do as you please.
No chrasima convinced me a bit that it's halal I was just presenting my arguement to you because you did reply to it and I was replying with the answer I would have given you before hand

Scottish Celt
05-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I enjoy a wee cuppa tea(no sugar),...also my poison is energy cans of red bull at least 1 a day,but really need to give it up.did in thepast but back on them again,Ramadan is here now is a good time to stop with the red bull.

azc
05-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Everything can't be declared as haram.

Umm♥Layth
05-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Caffeine actually has detrimental effects to health. One of the first things I have my clients do is reduce and eventually eliminate caffeine consumption in order for them to achieve their health goals. There are MANY MANY things that are halal, like food, that are easily abused and cause the body harm. Allah gives us the ability to choose what we do. Some people abuse that ability all the time.

So really, it isn't simply a matter of "halal or haraam". :)

noraina
05-28-2017, 05:02 PM
I was going to mention 'water intoxication', lol.

Anything in excess is detrimental to your health. Fasting excessively could kill you, it is about moderation and balance.

That said, take it easy on things such as tea and coffee. And rather than fruit juices or carbonated drinks, opt for water if you need a drink.

space
02-02-2018, 01:07 AM
everything that damages your health and bad for your body should be considered as haram.. it's so simple to understand

Ümit
02-02-2018, 08:09 AM
something is not totally correct in this thread.
The question asked:
then azc answer with a link to a fatwa in IslamQA
the answer given is like:
What is prohibited is khamr (wine) or anything with its effects of inebriation (taskir).
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Every intoxicant is unlawful.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
He (peace and blessings be upon him) also once explained the basis of why khamr is unlawful when he said, “Khamr is that which covers [or clouds] the intellect.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
So what is meant by intoxicant in this context is that which “covers the intellect,” i.e., causes inebriation or drunkenness like beer, or euphoria such as cocaine or amphetamines. These are all unlawful.
Caffeine is not an intoxicant in that sense, but rather only a mild stimulant and hence permissible.
And Allah knows best.
wassalam
Faraz

This answer does not satisfy me at all, because this guy clearly does not know that cafeine is a drug and is both physically and mentally addictive.
And when something gets addictive, it always clouds the mind.
a good example of this is gambling. we all know gambling is physically addictive. and once someone is addicted to gambling, he cannot think clearly anymore about handling money.

besides, if that is true and caffeine is not haram because of the small dosis you take, then I would say that non-alcoholic beer then also is not haram because of the small dosis of alcohol in it something like 0,5%...or even drinking a few zips beer is then also not haram because it is only a few zips and you wont feel the effect.

cooking your dinner with alcohol is then also not haram, because alcohol vapourizes and what is left in your food is only small dosis of alcohol.

So, as you can cee, I cannot agree with this given answer.
In my opinion everything that is addictive or clouds the mind is Haram...unless it is needed as a medicine of course.

azc
02-02-2018, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by umie
something is not totally correct in this thread.
The question asked:

then azc answer with a link to a fatwa in IslamQA
the answer given is like:
What is prohibited is khamr (wine) or anything with its effects of inebriation (taskir).
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Every intoxicant is unlawful.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
He (peace and blessings be upon him) also once explained the basis of why khamr is unlawful when he said, “Khamr is that which covers [or clouds] the intellect.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
So what is meant by intoxicant in this context is that which “covers the intellect,” i.e., causes inebriation or drunkenness like beer, or euphoria such as cocaine or amphetamines. These are all unlawful.
Caffeine is not an intoxicant in that sense, but rather only a mild stimulant and hence permissible.
And Allah knows best.
wassalam
Faraz

This answer does not satisfy me at all, because this guy clearly does not know that cafeine is a drug and is both physically and mentally addictive.
And when something gets addictive, it always clouds the mind.
a good example of this is gambling. we all know gambling is physically addictive. and once someone is addicted to gambling, he cannot think clearly anymore about handling money.

besides, if that is true and caffeine is not haram because of the small dosis you take, then I would say that non-alcoholic beer then also is not haram because of the small dosis of alcohol in it something like 0,5%...or even drinking a few zips beer is then also not haram because it is only a few zips and you wont feel the effect.

cooking your dinner with alcohol is then also not haram, because alcohol vapourizes and what is left in your food is only small dosis of alcohol.

So, as you can cee, I cannot agree with this given answer.
In my opinion everything that is addictive or clouds the mind is Haram...unless it is needed as a medicine of course.
'Truly Allah did not place your cure in what he made forbidden to you,' narrated by al-Bayhaqi in al-Sunan al-Kubra (10:5)]

Will you Abstain from such medicine which contain alcohol...?

- - - Updated - - -

No, I don't think it's Haram. I know that definitive and specific evidence is needed to declare it Haram whereas we've no evidence, even speculative one.

This tool of analogy sounds incorrect

'Abd-al Latif
02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
So if I drink 4 cups or less it's halal?

You can't say something is haram without backing it up from the Qur'an and sunnah. If it's not mentioned in the Qur'an and sunnah then caffeine is absolutely halal. If anything, coffee was invented by Muslims in Yemen in the 15h century. Surely 600 years is a long time to determine whether or not it's haram!

Now please excuse me while I sip my on steaming hot cup of mocha. :mmokay:

beleiver
02-02-2018, 11:33 AM
If i dont get my Caffeine fix in the morning i will not drive unless its to the nearest caffeine dealer..And i will drive slowly with extra caution as i would if drunk..Caffeine is very subtly addictive and screws with ones central nervous system, balance, co-ordination, judgement of distance and speed is impaired during the withdrawals..Way worst than many illegal non toxic herbs imho and experience..I believe it was categorized in the same as most banned substances like heroine and cocaine back in the days when they were legal?
I drink way too much and I KNOW I sin in doing so.

air
02-02-2018, 01:23 PM
:sl:
If you categorize addictive food is haram, then you should know that meat is addictive brother, and over eating of goat meat will harm your health, but still prophet :saws1: eat meat. Try to consume 5 to 6 cups honey a day will it have bad effect for you or not.

adnan747
09-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Exactly. the fact that it is addictive should at least render it makrooh. the people who say it's 100% halal should go a week without it. only then they will see the headaches, nausea, etc. that signals a total dependency and addiction towards it.

"Coffee was invented by Arab and Turkic Muslims 600 years ago". coffee, tea and chocolate have not been available back then nearly as much as it is today especially since Europeans started to dominate Muslim lands. there have been plenty of drinks, hot and cold, that have stimulating properties in human history. that caffeine is a unique compound and how it affects the nervous system into dependency is a fairly recent knowledge.

caffeine intake has been linked to infertility in both men and women, more so for women. i believe a 'caffeine lobby' puts out positive lingo around caffeine drinks. many articles online only hint that ANY caffeine intake causes drop in the fertility hormones in men and particularly, women, however, they do openly say fertility decreases only with overconsumption.

Caffeine also causes hyperactivity in healthy people, while compensates for a lack of energy in people with unhealthy lifestyles and hides the real sources of lethargy like bad sleep habits, poor diets, anxiety and so on. and these things should logically only get aggravated left unchecked. most people i'm sure take caffeine as really a legal drug that makes up for and hides lackings in areas of their lives and health.

i hope to see more input from ulema at large regarding caffeine consumption.

Personally, i'm currently trying to give up tea and coffee. but it's tough. the withdrawals creep in... and also being Bangladeshi, having the South Asian tea culture doesn't help either. then there's the availability of espresso based and 'artisan' coffees all around. but abstinence is possible (with only very occasional intake) and the key is slow transition. make sure you're drinking plenty of water and fruits which provide energy, take 100%-caffeine-free herbal teas. also, get into the habit of quick exercises that gets the body going without the caffeine.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by air
:sl:

If you categorize addictive food is haram, then you should know that meat is addictive brother, and over eating of goat meat will harm your health, but still prophet :saws1: eat meat. Try to consume 5 to 6 cups honey a day will it have bad effect for you or not.
not logically sound. you can go a few days without meat and not suffer from withdrawal symptoms of caffeine abstinence. that is a huge reason people (probably like yourself) find it tough to let go of caffeine, even though the withdrawals last only a few days.

'Abdullah
09-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Seriously now Muslims have to argue on these little things! I have not heard a single scholar saying that coffee or tea is haram. Just don't go to an extreme ( drinking 20 + cups of coffee), keep a balance (2-3 cups) should be enough and should not have any impact on human health. Islam teaches to keep balance in anything we do, extreme in any case will harm us.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.