/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pausing in the Qur'an when there are no pause marks

99sobi
01-13-2018, 09:36 PM
:sl:

I have had this question for a long time. I noticed that many Qaris and Sheikhs sometimes take a pause in their recitation, even though there is not waqf (pause mark).

Is this due to a pause (for example, a new sentence or clause) in the Arabic meaning? I noticed that all the pauses are made when there is a pause in the meaning (Arabic and English).

Not all reciters do this, but I know that some do.

For example:

وَلَقَدْ أَخَذَ اللّهُ مِيثَاقَ بَنِي إِسْرَآئِيلَ وَبَعَثْنَا مِنهُمُ اثْنَيْ عَشَرَ نَقِيبًا وَقَالَ اللّهُ إِنِّي مَعَكُمْ لَئِنْ أَقَمْتُمُ الصَّلاَةَ وَآتَيْتُمُ الزَّكَاةَ وَآمَنتُم بِرُسُلِي وَعَزَّرْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَقْرَضْتُمُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا لَّأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَلأُدْخِلَنَّكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الأَنْهَارُ فَمَن كَفَرَ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ مِنكُمْ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ سَوَاء السَّبِيلِ

And Allah said: "I am with you: if ye (but) establish regular prayers, practise regular charity, believe in my messengers, honour and assist them, and loan to Allah a beautiful loan, verily I will wipe out from you your evils, and admit you to gardens with rivers flowing beneath...

There is no pause mark after "qar-dan hasa-nan" on the mushaf that I am using. However, there is a pause in the meaning; "a beautiful loan, verily I will...", so the Qari in particular (Mahir al Muaiqly) pauses there I assume to emphasise the meaning.

This is not a rule people learn when reading the Qur'an (because they aren't taught the meaning) and my teachers assume that I'm making a mistake because I am pausing when there is not a pause mark, but I only do so because the Qaris I listen to do it.

Another example:

الَّذِينَ قَالُواْ إِنَّ اللّهَ عَهِدَ إِلَيْنَا أَلاَّ نُؤْمِنَ لِرَسُولٍ حَتَّىَ يَأْتِيَنَا بِقُرْبَانٍ تَأْكُلُهُ النَّارُ قُلْ قَدْ جَاءكُمْ رُسُلٌ مِّن قَبْلِي بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَبِالَّذِي قُلْتُمْ فَلِمَ قَتَلْتُمُوهُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ

[They are] those who said, "Indeed, Allah has taken our promise not to believe any messenger until he brings us an offering which fire [from heaven] will consume." Say, "There have already come to you messengers before me with clear proofs and [even] that of which you speak. So why did you kill them, if you should be truthful?"

Again, some Qaris pause after "qultum", because that is the end of the clause/sentence/train of thought. But there is no pause mark.

Is there any particular reason why this is done?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
01-13-2018, 10:18 PM
:wasalam:

I assume they are pausing to take a breath. At the same time, most of those Qaris are Arabs and they understand the meaning when they recite, so they know where the sentence ends or where to take a pause without having to look at the pause marks in the Qur'an. They know that the sentence is complete or it makes sense to pause at that point, so they do that.
The waqf marks were added later on in the mushaf for non-Arabs to be able to recite properly, based on how the Qurra' among the Sahabah used to recite.

For those who do not understand Arabic, it is always better for them to follow the waqf marks as given in the mushaf to avoid any mistakes.

talibilm
01-14-2018, 12:40 AM
:sl:

If those who do not understand Arabic had paused without the wakf stop (meem) mark or before the end of the verse than its best to recite a word before they stopped and complete the verse.

Haroonomary
01-19-2018, 07:30 AM
I agree Inshallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.