/* */

PDA

View Full Version : On being greeted by a non-Muslim

nili
02-04-2018, 03:32 AM
Good evening.

I am Jewish and very much committed to bridge-building efforts. It is not at all unusual for my wife and I to find ourselves at some interfaith event at one of the nearby muslim centers. This is the context for my question.

It is my understanding that it is prohibited for a Muslim to initiate a greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim and that, furthermore, there is some discussion about how a Muslim should respond to such a greeting if initiated by a non-Muslim. With this in mind, what might be the preferred way (the most respectful way) for me as a Jew to greet you? Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zzz_
02-04-2018, 04:13 AM
Good Evening and welcome.

While it is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting, the Muslim who is returning the greeting should respond in the manner prescribed by sharee’ah, giving a similar or better greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

A group of scholars said: It is permissible to greet him first if that serves a purpose, or for fear of his harm, or because of blood ties, or for a reason that requires that. If there is a need to greet a non-muslim first, there is no sin in that, but it should be something other than the greeting of salaam, such as saying 'welcome' or How are you, etc.

You may follow the customs of the land you are in or what you think is the best way yourself. For example, you could just say "hello, hi, etc." or say the Jewish greeting of Shalom or Muslim greeting of "as-salamu alaikum".

azc
02-04-2018, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nili
Good evening.

I am Jewish and very much committed to bridge-building efforts. It is not at all unusual for my wife and I to find ourselves at some interfaith event at one of the nearby muslim centers. This is the context for my question.

It is my understanding that it is prohibited for a Muslim to initiate a greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim and that, furthermore, there is some discussion about how a Muslim should respond to such a greeting if initiated by a non-Muslim. With this in mind, what might be the preferred way (the most respectful way) for me as a Jew to greet you? Thanks.
http://www.answering-christianity.co...sbelievers.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.