/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Charity

azc
03-01-2018, 03:38 AM
Ibnul Furaat was a minister in the fourth century of Islam during the reign of the ‘Abbaasi ruler, Al-Muqtadir billah. (Siyaru Aa’laamin Nubalaa vol. 14, pg. 474)

On one occasion, Ibnul Furaat summoned a certain scribe and said the following to him:
Woe to you! I had sinister intentions in your regard and always wanted to arrest you and confiscate your wealth. However, for a few nights, I have been seeing a strange dream. In this dream, I myself issued the order for your arrest. However, you were somehow resisting arrest. So I next ordered my soldiers to attack you, but whenever they fired an arrow at you or attempted to strike you with a weapon, you successfully defended yourself with a loaf of bread that you held in your hand. On account of this bread, none of our attacks could reach you. Tell me, what is the secret behind this bread?

The scribe replied, “O minister! Since I was a small child, my mother would place a loaf of bread beside my pillow when I went to sleep at night. The following morning, she would give it in sadaqah (charity) on my behalf. My mother continued to do this until she passed away. After her demise, I continued with this practice, and I thus place a loaf of bread beside my pillow every night, giving it in charity in the morning.”

When the minister, Ibnul Furaat heard this, he was astonished and said, “By Allah! I will never be able to harm you! In fact, (having learnt of your excellent practice,) I now wish well for you and my heart has been filled with love for you.”

(Al-Bidaayah wan Nihaayah vol. 11, pg. 224)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Greetings and peace be with you azc;

Thanks for sharing, this still needs to happen.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

azc
03-01-2018, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you azc;

Thanks for sharing, this still needs to happen.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric
Very true.

And you are a pearl of wisdom is also true

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.