/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Writing Contest 2018 - Rules, Deadline and Discussion

AabiruSabeel
04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
:salam: and greetings to all

Update: The entries are posted here: Writing Contest 2018 - Vote for the best entry

In continuation from Writing Contest 2018 ...

Welcome to the annual story writing contest on Islamicboard.

This thread will be the main hub for the general discussion about the Story Writing Contest. A separate thread will be created, after the deadline, to house this year's entries.

Here are some suggested rules for the contest, based on the rules we've had previously:

Stories can be about any topic, theme or genre, but must not conflict with forum rules.
Stories must be the entrant's own work and must be in English.
Stories should not be a translated version of someone else's work in another language.
Each entrant may submit only one story.
Stories cannot have been posted already on this forum.
Stories cannot use existing characters e.g. your story cannot be about the adventures of Batman and Robin.
Stories can be any length, but no longer than 5,000 words - this is a limit not a target.
Do not post your story here or anywhere else on the forum (or anything to do with your story), as the contest is supposed to be anonymous. Not the genre, not the title and not even one sentence of it.

The deadline is tentatively 15 May 2018 - this is the last day on which entries shall be accepted. However, there is leeway to change this if necessary.

Stories should be submitted by Private Message to the Host - AabiruSabeel. The host will then create the thread for the entries, and post the entries there, once they've all been submitted and the deadline has passed. The host cannot participate in the contest, and cannot vote (as he/she will know who has written what). Stories can be edited and formatted etc however the author chooses before submission, but the Host will not alter or reformat the story once it has been submitted

If you have any further suggestions, please share them. The parameters are really wide. Read through some of the previous entries to see how wide those parameters are. We've had dramas, crime thrillers, horror, action-adventure, cute stories, and stories with morals etc.

To all: be sure to check out this thread (Writing Tips) http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ting-tips.html and by all means feel free to read previous contests. Also feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the competition on this thread.

Take your time and make your entry the best it can be; really let your creativity loose.

I would like to thank the brothers and sisters who have hosted and organised the contest in previous years, I have just copied that in this post.

Let the writing begin!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
04-12-2018, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

The deadline is tentatively 30 April 2017 - this is the last day on which entries shall be accepted.
Maybe you meant that the deadline is 30 April 2018, not 2017.

;D

AabiruSabeel
04-12-2018, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Maybe you meant that the deadline is 30 April 2018, not 2017.

;D
Well spotted!

How is the writing going on? I hope all those who voted on the poll are busy writing their entries.

noraina
04-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Oh can't wait in'sha'Allah! I hope we have even more entries than last year,

You don't need to be a massive writer to take part either, just let your creativity flow, and most importantly enjoy taking part! Even if you don't usually write stories, think of it as a new experience or challenge to rise up to :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
04-18-2018, 11:30 PM
@AllahIsAl-Malik , @Ibn Shahid , @Junon , @Kind , @najimuddin , @Scimitar , @Tayiba , @Umme salma and everyone who expressed interest in the writing competition, how is the progress so far? If you need more time, just let me know and we can extend the deadline.

I've already received the first entry. Waiting for the rest to follow.

Scimitar
04-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Gosh, it has started already? I had no idea!!!

Alamgir
04-21-2018, 10:52 AM
@AllahIsAl-Malik, @Ibn Shahid, @Junon, @Kind, @najimuddin, @Scimitar, @Tayiba, @Umme salma and everyone who expressed interest in the writing competition, how is the progress so far? If you need more time, just let me know and we can extend the deadline.

Asalamu Alaikum

When did I express interest in entering? If I did, I would like to retract that statement.

I just want to read what others can come up with, should be interesting.

AabiruSabeel
04-21-2018, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Shahid
Asalamu Alaikum

When did I express interest in entering? If I did, I would like to retract that statement.

I just want to read what others can come up with, should be interesting.
Wa Alaikum Assalam

It's ok, I thought your vote on previous thread implied you were interested in participating.

Anyone else who's participating?

AabiruSabeel
04-21-2018, 03:00 PM
I have extended the deadline for two more weeks, until 15 May 2018. Let's wrap it up before the start of Ramadhan :ia:.

AabiruSabeel
04-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Time is running. We just have two weeks left now. Keep sending your entries. :ia: we will have a prize for the winner.

Supernova
05-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Time is running. We just have two weeks left now. Keep sending your entries. :ia: we will have a prize for the winner.
Well just like the poetry contest - I won't be entering because I have a soft heart and giving other people a chance to win.

AabiruSabeel
05-09-2018, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
Well just like the poetry contest - I won't be entering because I have a soft heart and giving other people a chance to win.
What if nobody enters? You can have a good chance at winning it all by yourself.

Supernova
05-09-2018, 06:49 PM
What if nobody enters? You can have a good chance at winning it all by yourself.
Theres no fun in that !!!

And as you know The boys will win anyway - The girls (I won't mention WHO !!! because i dont want to get in trouble - but we will know WHO !!! anyway - someone who has a big mouth and a frequent poster) will just get jealous anyway that I win and the GUYS WILL RULE ..........but I am not mentioning names !!!!

AabiruSabeel
05-09-2018, 06:58 PM
You might be surprised to know that the winners for last two years are sisters, for writing as well as for poetry contests. You should participate to change that, otherwise they will take the medal this time as well.

Supernova
05-09-2018, 07:16 PM
You might be surprised to know that the winners for last two years are sisters, for writing as well as for poetry contests. You should participate to change that, otherwise they will take the medal this time as well.
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that Big mouth won it (and I am not mentioning names for legal reasons ) ..........If that Big mouth won it I'm gonna drive nails through my toes !!! TWICE !!!

AabiruSabeel
05-09-2018, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that Big mouth won it (and I am not mentioning names for legal reasons ) ..........If that Big mouth won it I'm gonna drive nails through my toes !!! TWICE !!!
I think I know whom you're referring to, but she didn't even participate. Why are you so obsessed with anyone?

Scimitar
05-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Where’s my popcorn?

5 days left eh? Dang!!!!!

AabiruSabeel
05-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Tomorrow is the last day for submitting your entries. Hurry up!

AabiruSabeel
05-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Is anyone still writing? If not, then I'll post the entries :ia:

Imamah Ali
05-16-2018, 05:45 AM
Is anyone still writing? If not, then I'll post the entries :ia:
When the result will come?

sister herb
05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imamah Ali
When the result will come?
After voting. Everyone can give a vote.

sister herb
05-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Salam alaykum

Thanks for posting the entries. Can´t wait to read them all.

AabiruSabeel
05-26-2018, 03:30 AM
I know everyone is busy with 'ibadah because of Ramadhan. Please encourage the participants by taking some time out to read the entries and vote on the poll.

Scimitar
05-28-2018, 11:55 AM
The entries were all good, but my favourite has to be The Lily of the Valley and the Nightingale. Although there were grammatical errors, it was obvious that English was not the author's first language. However, with that aside, the innocence within the story and the use of language to deliver a vivid and sensory experience transported me into the forest in my minds eye, the story itself touched the heart, and was charming to a fault! Absolutely loved it!

AabiruSabeel
06-11-2018, 01:02 AM
Just a few days left for the poll to close.

Writing Contest 2018 - Vote for the best entry

Writing Contest 2018 - Vote for the best entry
Welcome to the Writing Contest 2018 voting thread. I will be posting all the entries below in separate posts. Take your time to read all of them and vo...

AabiruSabeel
06-18-2018, 03:21 AM
The poll will be closed very soon. There is a tie at the moment and we need a few more votes to determine the actual winner. Please vote!

Scimitar
06-21-2018, 08:45 AM
So, who won?

AabiruSabeel
06-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Still 2-3 hours to go and the poll will close automatically. I hope someone will break the tie with their vote.

eesa the kiwi
06-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Maybe it's good to have two winners. I had a hard time deciding between the two.

Still votes aren't completely in yet

AabiruSabeel
06-22-2018, 02:06 AM
So now that the poll is closed, can anyone guess the names of authors?

AabiruSabeel
06-23-2018, 05:56 AM
No guesses? Well, I think I should announce it myself.

Since Imamah Ali voted for her own entry, her actual vote count is 4. So the winner for this year's Writing Contest is once again, @sister herb. Hearty Congratualtions to her for being the serial winner of our writing contests for the last 3 years in a row.

The Second Place goes to sister @Imamah Ali . Congrats to her as well.

Jazakumullah Khair to all the participants and better luck next time inshaAllah.

eesa the kiwi
06-23-2018, 05:57 AM
Congrats

AabiruSabeel
06-23-2018, 06:07 AM
The First and Second place winners will be receiving their prize gift cards via PM :ia:.

All participants also receive rep points for participating.

sister herb
06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Salam alaykum

Wow! I didn´t expect this again. Thanks for all who read my story and I am glad if you enjoyed about it. :statisfie

Congratulations to all winners.

Periwinkle18
07-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Ahh the good old writing contest I did get an email about this! I duno sometimes I feel like I don't have it in me anymore but I guess i'll try for next year inshaAllah :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.