PDA

View Full Version : The decay of Muslim forums



Alamgir
01-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Well, I'm sure you guys have noticed this over the past few years. Muslim forums have been becoming less and less active, with once famous ones like Ummah.com being almost completely vacant now. In fact, as far as I know, IslamicBoard is the last one standing (hence why I came here about a year ago), and even then this forum isn't exactly buzzing with activity.

Do you guys know of any other Muslim forums that are still active and promote traditional Islamic values? And how do you think we can reverse the current situation?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Junon
01-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Salaam

I think one of the reasons is that there is so many different social media platforms to choose from.
Reply

Alamgir
01-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

I think one of the reasons is that there is so many different social media platforms to choose from.
I don't think so, the only real competitor to IslamicBoard is Ummah.com, and that one's doing even worse (but it's recently improved from how terribly empty it felt for the past year).

r/Islam is pretty active, but the people on that subreddit are mostly a bunch of liberals with an inferiority complex who don't seem to like conservative Muslims very much. Same goes for Quora, but the latter has the additional baggage of a toxic moderation that will ban anyone who gets reported by users enough times.

The Durkestan discord would be perfect, but it's run by hardcore Sufis who don't tolerate dissent at all (and they crack down much harder than the others).

Defence.pk isn't a bad place in theory to discuss Islam, it's very active and has a pretty large Muslim userbase (even if many of them are only cultural Muslims). The only problem is that the main theme of the website is politics, so naturally there are too many nationalists online who really don't place their Muslim identity as high as they should (a lot of them view their nationality/ethnicity as being above or equal to being a Muslim, and quite a few are even open about this). They are also very racist at times, and the non-Muslims on there can be pretty toxic (mainly the Indians and Persians). But honestly, the fact that it has such an active userbase who (mostly) aren't a bunch of liberals with an inferiority complex and don't silence people for being more conservative really makes it the only viable alternative to IslamicBoard.
Reply

azc
01-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Alamgir
Asalamu Alaikum

Well, I'm sure you guys have noticed this over the past few years. Muslim forums have been becoming less and less active, with once famous ones like Ummah.com being almost completely vacant now. In fact, as far as I know, IslamicBoard is the last one standing (hence why I came here about a year ago), and even then this forum isn't exactly buzzing with activity.

Do you guys know of any other Muslim forums that are still active and promote traditional Islamic values? And how do you think we can reverse the current situation?
Once ummah.com was a good place but gradually it started to decline.
Now no healthy discussion is expected there.

Sunniforum.com was an excellent forum but now it's part of history. Some of its members are with muftisays.com

as far as islamicboard is concerned it's the best forum I ever found.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ummshareef
01-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Yes, I agree and often wonder why these forums are so quiet.

When you consider that there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, or whom a significant proportion speak English, of whom a significant proportion are actively on-line, it is pretty disappointing that none of the leading forums like IslamicBoard have more than a handful of posts every day, when we are all supposed to be sharing knowledge and encouraging each other to improve our worship. Is it because everyone is on Facebook?
Reply

azc
01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ummshareef
Yes, I agree and often wonder why these forums are so quiet.

When you consider that there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, or whom a significant proportion speak English, of whom a significant proportion are actively on-line, it is pretty disappointing that none of the leading forums like IslamicBoard have more than a handful of posts every day, when we are all supposed to be sharing knowledge and encouraging each other to improve our worship. Is it because everyone is on Facebook?
most of them like to share videos, photographs and chit chat on Facebook, whatsapp etc instead of Islamic forums. It's due to them being indifferent to religion.
Reply

Peacefully
01-04-2019, 04:20 PM
I found one called https://umma.global

Looks like it's still in the middle of being built, but it seems like it's on the right track. Most of the activity right now is in the private groups.

Reply

MazharShafiq
01-04-2019, 04:33 PM
there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, or whom a significant proportion speak English, of whom a significant proportion are actively on-line, it is pretty disappointing that none of the leading forums like IslamicBoard have more than a handful of posts every day, when we are all supposed to be sharing knowledge and encouraging each other to improve our worship
Reply

Alamgir
01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ummshareef
Yes, I agree and often wonder why these forums are so quiet.

When you consider that there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, or whom a significant proportion speak English, of whom a significant proportion are actively on-line, it is pretty disappointing that none of the leading forums like IslamicBoard have more than a handful of posts every day, when we are all supposed to be sharing knowledge and encouraging each other to improve our worship. Is it because everyone is on Facebook?
Originally Posted by MazharShafiq
there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, or whom a significant proportion speak English, of whom a significant proportion are actively on-line, it is pretty disappointing that none of the leading forums like IslamicBoard have more than a handful of posts every day, when we are all supposed to be sharing knowledge and encouraging each other to improve our worship
These days, religious Muslims are mostly just active on YouTube, social media and Q/A websites, with a few bloggers here and there too.
Reply

crimsontide06
01-04-2019, 07:51 PM
One nice thing though, is that the information gathered over the years is still available to read for anyone looking for answers.
Reply

Alamgir
01-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by crimsontide06
One nice thing though, is that the information gathered over the years is still available to read for anyone looking for answers.
That's where the guest viewers come from on this forum and others.
Reply

AabiruSabeel
01-04-2019, 09:00 PM
:salam:

Forums in general are on decline, not just Muslim forums. Forums had their prime time well before 2010. The old generation of members who were active during those days are all grown up and moved on with their lives. The new generation finds other social media outlets as more handy, specially with widespread smartphone use.

Earlier people used to use either desktop or a laptop for browsing, and now everything is on mobile. Forums were slow in adapting the new technology.

We have added several mobile-friendly features recently over the past few years. We also have our mobile app. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement, we are ready to implement them :ia:.
Reply

farhan
01-11-2019, 06:49 PM
:sl:

Yes social media is a big reason. Since everyone is on their phones, not many use web based sites regularly anymore for discussing.

Many forums are still thriving though, :ia: with right strategies can become active like them.

Things we can do:
- Make full use of the mobile app, try and get all the mobile users of instagram, facebook etc. Show them this is more beneficial, and like minded individuals would be prompted to download it and check it out.
- Advertise banner ads everywhere, including reddit where they can discuss here too. Also run facebook ad campaigns and instagram, which will market the benefits of a forum.
- Set up push notifications on mobile, so if someone replies on your thread, can be notified to reply.
- Referral programme to give rewards, more forum upgrades if you refer someone.
- Keep the place active and post everyday which will increase more activity.
- Think of more unique benefits so it can stand out from social media and apply them.

Hopefully that should help boost the forum :ia:
Reply

Alamgir
01-12-2019, 06:58 AM
I found a pretty active community on Discord, called MuslimChat. If you guys are interested let me know.
Reply

fschmidt
01-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Free speech would help.

This forum needs to change

Why should I spend time writing a thoughtful post if my effort may go to waste because the post is censored?

This forum needs to change
Salaam and peace to all This forum is getting more restrictive each day and needs a mental change to better itself. Mods delete the posts and close the...
Reply

beleiver
01-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by fschmidt
Free speech would help.

This forum needs to change

Why should I spend time writing a thoughtful post if my effort may go to waste because the post is censored?



This forum needs to change
Salaam and peace to all This forum is getting more restrictive each day and needs a mental change to better itself. Mods delete the posts and close the...
Yep, sums up why this is my first post here in several months...what spare time I do get online I am not going to waste typing posts that need approval or get deleted...
Seems a shame as I was learning a lot here and found it a warm and respectful place to be even though I might ask difficult questions...
Reply

ardianto
01-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Assalamualaikum.

Everyone out there who know I join in Muslim forum always wonder how could a Muslim like me interested to join in forum like this?. ... I am not 'masjid Muslim' type or 'Islamic Muslim' who love to talk about sharia or khilafah. I am just ordinary Muslim like majority of Muslims in the world. I indeed sometime attend Islamic lecture. But if I must join in majlis taqlim?. .. Wow!, I feel my level of iman is still not as high as people at there.

But what I saw in Islamicboard in that time did not make me feel alienated. There were many ordaninary Muslims like me at IB in that time. And they discussed about daily life that I could follow, not only heavy Islamic topic. So I decided to join.

Later, one by one of them leave the forum and back to their origin life. But new members who came later look different. Now I notice, newer members are dominated by those who love to discuss about heavy Islamic topic, and the youths who came to learn Islam and seek some answer. While the adult ordinary Muslims like me seem no longer interested.

Is it because the forum now is more conservative?. ... I don't know.
Reply

azc
01-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Assalamualaikum.

Everyone out there who know I join in Muslim forum always wonder how could a Muslim like me interested to join in forum like this?. ... I am not 'masjid Muslim' type or 'Islamic Muslim' who love to talk about sharia or khilafah. I am just ordinary Muslim like majority of Muslims in the world. I indeed sometime attend Islamic lecture. But if I must join in majlis taqlim?. .. Wow!, I feel my level of iman is still not as high as people at there.

But what I saw in Islamicboard in that time did not make me feel alienated. There were many ordaninary Muslims like me at IB in that time. And they discussed about daily life that I could follow, not only heavy Islamic topic. So I decided to join.

Later, one by one of them leave the forum and back to their origin life. But new members who came later look different. Now I notice, newer members are dominated by those who love to discuss about heavy Islamic topic, and the youths who came to learn Islam and seek some answer. While the adult ordinary Muslims like me seem no longer interested.

Is it because the forum now is more conservative?. ... I don't know.
:wa:

Bro, why don't you discuss the topics of your choice...?

Start a thread, would love to join you.
Reply

ardianto
01-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by azc
:wa:

Bro, why don't you discuss the topics of your choice...?

Start a thread, would love to join you.
At the moment I have no enough mood to create new thread since I am busy and hard to concentrate. But In Shaa Allah, later, after my mood going good again.

:)
Reply

anatolian
01-14-2019, 03:20 PM
I will disagree the idea of internet forums being generally declining because of other social media platforms. I have been a member of a famous christian forum since 2006 and they are increasing not decreasing. Thats somerhing the mods should ponder.
Reply

Eric H
01-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Greetings and peace be with you AabiruSabeel;

I would like to thank all the mods for running a good forum, quality counts for a lot.

I have had one problem, some while ago, I tried to log in using a second computer, but had forgotten my password. I followed the link for forgotten password, but I could still not log on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Blessings and thanks

Eric
Reply

Nitro Zeus
01-15-2019, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you AabiruSabeel;

I would like to thank all the mods for running a good forum, quality counts for a lot.

I have had one problem, some while ago, I tried to log in using a second computer, but had forgotten my password. I followed the link for forgotten password, but I could still not log on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Blessings and thanks

Eric
Yes, I had. It could be due to some very low internet. You can wait for few minutes or 1h, then try again.Thats how I did, and it worked.
Reply

ZeeshanParvez
01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by fschmidt
Free speech would help.

This forum needs to change

Why should I spend time writing a thoughtful post if my effort may go to waste because the post is censored?

This forum needs to change
Salaam and peace to all This forum is getting more restrictive each day and needs a mental change to better itself. Mods delete the posts and close the...
There is nothing wrong with this forum.

It is an Islamic forum.

You cannot expect any nonsense against Islam here under the ridiculous pretext of "freedom of speech"

Kaafirs are so funny. They cry freedom of speech but when it comes to exposing the Jews they have anti-Jewish laws.

So, please spare us your rhetoric which is dipped in double standards and hypocrisy
Reply

Junon
01-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Salaam

Brother this is a narrow minded view to take, fschmidt offers an unusual perspective which I and Im sure many others (even if we disagree with it) appreciate.

Living in a bubble wont help us, particularly in this day and age, we need to get different perspectives. Otherwise we wont be able to adapt to the coming challenges.
Reply

Supernova
01-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Asalaamualaykum

I think every reason mentioned is an ingredient to the declination of forums.

One of the many reasons I think worth mentioning is that Most people have now realised that amongst the good that can be spread - there is also Fitna in information that can be spread too - Compound that with Ulema warning people about "Google Imams or Mufti Google" a lot of people are now opting to gain knowledge straight from an Imam himself face to face.
Reply

Alamgir
01-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Junon
(and Im sure many others)
Asalamu Alaikum

Speak for yourself lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Supernova
Asalaamualaykum

I think every reason mentioned is an ingredient to the declination of forums.

One of the many reasons I think worth mentioning is that Most people have now realised that amongst the good that can be spread - there is also Fitna in information that can be spread too - Compound that with Ulema warning people about "Google Imams or Mufti Google" a lot of people are now opting to gain knowledge straight from an Imam himself face to face.
Walaikum Asalam

I was like that at first too, but honestly, after multiple years online, I am now an ardent proponent of the position that the internet is, in many ways, better than meeting an Imam face-to-face. The internet has far more resources and doesn't only offer you one side, you have the ability to discover to multiple opinions for yourself and decide which one is the most valid.
Reply

Supernova
01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Alamgir
Walaikum Asalam

I was like that at first too, but honestly, after multiple years online, I am now an ardent proponent of the position that the internet is, in many ways, better than meeting an Imam face-to-face. The internet has far more resources and doesn't only offer you one side, you have the ability to discover to multiple opinions for yourself and decide which one is the most valid.
Totally agreed - Works for some. Fortunately I have some Imaams around me who explain the Ightilaaf in many topics and not biased - but how many people would have that case ?
Reply

ZeeshanParvez
01-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Brother this is a narrow minded view to take, fschmidt offers are unusual perspective which I (and Im sure many others) appreciate.

Living in a bubble wont help us, paritucalrly in this day and age we need to get different perspectives, otherwise we wont be able to adapt to the coming challenges.
Eh? What different perspectives? Are you unsure about the truthfulness of your Diin?
Reply

ardianto
01-15-2019, 11:30 PM
I found in another thread, someone decides to leave the forum after sectarian based quarrel with another member. Yes, this is one cause, or maybe main cause, that make Muslim forums left by their members.

I never understand what happen with Muslims. When they start to learn Islam deeper, start trying to be more Islamic, many of them fall into group fanaticism and look down toward other Muslims. This attitude also brought into forum that make them easily insult other Muslims and insult ulama who are not among their group.

That's why I convince myself that I am just ordinary Muslim. So In Shaa Allah, it can prevent me from following their behaviour.
Reply

azc
01-16-2019, 01:59 AM
@ardianto :

Could you read post #2,8,10,11,12....

https://www.islamicboard.com/worship...0%2C1375580842
Reply

ZeeshanParvez
01-16-2019, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
I never understand what happen with Muslims. When they start to learn Islam deeper, start trying to be more Islamic, many of them fall into group fanaticism and look down toward other Muslims. This attitude also brought into forum that make them easily insult other Muslims and insult ulama who are not among their group.

That is a very interesting observation.

I have noticed it as well and have been thinking about it for a while now.

When I knew nothing about Usuul, Fiqh, Aqiidah, and all the different opinions I had nothing but love for all Muslims. I never inquired into their school of thought or their aqiidah. I never even knew about these things.

Then, the more I learned, the more I began to hate people around me. They seemed like very bad people.

Some would argue I learned the evil these people indulge in and hence began to hate them for the Sake of Allaah. I learned about their bid'ah, lies, deception, twisting of facts, personality worship, and what not which lead me to seriously dislike them.

Regardless of what it is, your observation is an interesting one as I have found myself thinking about it as well.
Reply

ardianto
01-16-2019, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by azc
@ardianto :

Could you read post #2,8,10,11,12....

https://www.islamicboard.com/worship...0%2C1375580842
I have followed that thread before I wrote the post above. But I decided to not be involved. I'm just so sad, why my brothers must denounce each other just because something that should not be a reason for conflict?.

Does laughing out loud break wuduu or not, actually is an issue in fiqh that categorized as furuiyah matter, not ushuliyah. And ulama have said, diversity in furuiyah matter is acceptable as long as it has shar'i base. So, if some Muslims believe that laughing out loud break wuduu, while the other believe it doesn’t, both parties have to be willing to tolerate.

Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez
That is a very interesting observation.

I have noticed it as well ………..
I watched you yesterday and I saw your emotion was unstable. Probably you have many problems out there?.

Try to calm down, brother. It’s better if now you take a rest from forum for a while and do dhikr.

:)
Reply

fschmidt
01-16-2019, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Brother this is a narrow minded view to take, fschmidt offers an unusual perspective which I and Im sure many others (even if we disagree with it) appreciate.

Living in a bubble wont help us, particularly in this day and age, we need to get different perspectives. Otherwise we wont be able to adapt to the coming challenges.
It should be clear from this thread that this forum is hopeless. Most people today hate free speech and have no interest in looking for solutions to modern evil. I wish that you or another Muslim here would start another forum based on free speech and creative thinking. Membership would be small, but the content would be high quality.
Reply

ZeeshanParvez
01-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Does laughing out loud break wuduu or not, actually is an issue in fiqh that categorized as furuiyah matter, not ushuliyah. And ulama have said, diversity in furuiyah matter is acceptable as long as it has shar'i base. So, if some Muslims believe that laughing out loud break wuduu, while the other believe it doesn’t, both parties have to be willing to tolerate.
I take it that you are not to worried about following the authentic Sunnah?

I watched you yesterday and I saw your emotion was unstable. Probably you have many problems out there?.

Try to calm down, brother. It’s better if now you take a rest from forum for a while and do dhikr.
You must teach me this art of judging online if someone is emotionally stable or unstable.

And you need to choose your words carefully. You imply I do not do dhikr. :)
Reply

ardianto
01-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez
I take it that you are not to worried about following the authentic Sunnah?



You must teach me this art of judging online if someone is emotionally stable or unstable.

And you need to choose your words carefully. You imply I do not do dhikr. :)
Jazakallahu khayran. Thanks for your reminder. Yes WE have to choose OUR words carefully. :)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 01:50 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 05:44 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 09:45 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!