/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Adopting a baby girl

loneseeker
11-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Assalamualaikum,

Brothers and sisters, may Allah bless us all.
Please pardon me for my lack of knowledge on fiqh related to the question I'm going to ask.

I've been thinking to adopt a baby girl and my wife will nurse her (breastfeeding; she will suckle from my wife)
But then, will it make her my mahram or not?
This is quite critical for me as I must treat her accordingly once she grows up.

Jazakallahu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
11-16-2019, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by loneseeker
Assalamualaikum,

Please pardon me for my lack of knowledge on fiqh related to the question I'm going to ask.

I've been thinking to adopt a baby girl and my wife will nurse her (breastfeeding; she will suckle from my wife)
This is quite critical for me as I must treat her accordingly once she grows up.

Jazakallahu
Asalaamualaykum:

If the baby is breastfed by your wife, the baby is considered like your own in terms of how observing Hijab is concerned when she grows up. My understanding here is that this will have to happen before the age of 2.

Extra Notes for you..
Although the child will hold that status in terms of Hijab, the child won't hold that status in terms of inheritance. A bequest can be functioned towards the adopted child.

Also, and this is a very common error in adoption, Please remember that the child would have to retain the original family name. Many people who adopt change the adopted childs lineage surname to their own and this is not allowed.

I just wanted to say that what you're intending is such a virtuous and admirable act. I'm sure I can speak of behalf of everyone here that our duas are with you and your wife.

* The answers and advice is from Hanafi Law. I am not sure if there are any differences of opinions on this issue but I am sure that others will add on to the thread.

loneseeker
11-16-2019, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
Asalaamualaykum:

If the baby is breastfed by your wife, the baby is considered like your own in terms of how observing Hijab is concerned when she grows up. My understanding here is that this will have to happen before the age of 2.

Extra Notes for you..
Although the child will hold that status in terms of Hijab, the child won't hold that status in terms of inheritance. A bequest can be functioned towards the adopted child.

Also, and this is a very common error in adoption, Please remember that the child would have to retain the original family name. Many people who adopt change the adopted childs lineage surname to their own and this is not allowed.

I just wanted to say that what you're intending is such a virtuous and admirable act. I'm sure I can speak of behalf of everyone here that our duas are with you and your wife.

* The answers and advice is from Hanafi Law. I am not sure if there are any differences of opinions on this issue but I am sure that others will add on to the thread.
Thank you vert much for the great info bro/sis Supernova, I very much appreciate it.
Also thanks for the du'a, jazaakallaahu khairaa

'Abdullah
11-16-2019, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by loneseeker
Assalamualaikum,

Jazakallahu
The video clip(link below) on the topic of adoption by Sheikh Tahir Wyatt covers most questions You may have about adoption and shariah law:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
loneseeker
11-18-2019, 01:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
The video clip(link below) on the topic of adoption by Sheikh Tahir Wyatt covers most questions You may have about adoption and shariah law:

Thank you very much for the video link, brother. Jazaakallaahu khairaa

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.