/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to combine prayers?

happy muslim
11-16-2019, 10:37 AM
How do you combine prayers? Please simply tell me. Please. Just simple, please. Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
11-16-2019, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by happy muslim
How do you combine prayers? Please simply tell me. Please. Just simple, please. Thank you.
Asslam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Can you be little more specific? Are you asking to combine prayers during travel or combine them in normal circumstances?

Ma’a Salama

happy muslim
11-16-2019, 08:58 PM
In normal circumstances? Can I combine prayers too even while not traveling?

'Abdullah
11-16-2019, 09:40 PM
In normal circumstances? Can I combine prayers too even while not traveling?
Assalam o alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

In Sahih Muslim there is an authentic narration from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said:
The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) put together Zuhr and ‘Asr, and Maghrib and ‘Isha’, when there was no fear and he was not travelling and it was not raining [Muslim 1/489]
Now this Hadith is taken by Shia Muslims and they combine their prayers based on the evidence from this Hadith. But let’s dig little deeper. Why did Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) combined prayers when there was no excuse and he was not traveling either?
It was said to Ibn ‘Abbaas concerning that: What made him do that? He said:
He wanted not to make things difficult for his ummah.
In other words, he did not want to cause them hardship and difficulty. This indicates that there was an excuse for putting prayers together in this hadeeth, and were it not for putting the prayers together it would have caused hardship for the people.

so yes you can certainly combine your prayer based on this Hadith if praying all five prayers is being hard for you due to sickness, or rain or work related issues. But there has to be a valid reason to combine prayers, if there is no reason then pray all prayers at their respective times.

Just warning you that people who follow hanafi madhab don’t combine their prayers, not even when they travel. Clearly they reject the sunnah and follow the interpretations of their scholars so it’s up to you if you want to follow them or follow the sunnah. And Allah knows the best!

How to combine prayers:

It is preferable to combine the later Prayer with the earlier Prayer. However, in unavoidable circumstances, the earlier Prayer may be combined with the later one.

When the Prayers are combined, one Adhan is sufficient for both Prayers but Iqamah has to be recited separately for each Prayer.

It should also be remembered that the Sunnat part of the Prayer service need not be offered when Prayer services are combined together. However, the two Sunnats performed before the Jumu‘ah (Friday) Prayer are necessary and should not be omitted.

Below is link to a video which pretty much covers this topic and I hope it will be helpful for you:

I hope it answer your question, if you need any other help please feel free to ask.

Ma’a Salama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
happy muslim
11-17-2019, 08:45 PM
What is an iqamah?

'Abdullah
11-17-2019, 09:07 PM
What is an iqamah?
Iqama is something we say right before the start of prayer. Below is the Arabic verbiage for iqama.
الله اكبر الله اكبر
اشهد ان لا اله الا الله
اشهد ان محمد رسول الله
حي على الصلاة
حي على الفلاح
قد قامت الصلاة
قد قامت الصلاة
الله اكبر الله اكبر
لا اله الا الله

AabiruSabeel
11-18-2019, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
Just warning you that people who follow hanafi madhab don’t combine their prayers, not even when they travel. Clearly they reject the sunnah and follow the interpretations of their scholars so it’s up to you if you want to follow them or follow the sunnah. And Allah knows the best!
:salam:

That is a big statement that you are making which you have to be accountable for. Perhaps Hanafi scholars understand and follow the sunnah better than you!

The Hanafi Stance on Combining Prayers During Travel

Question:

Why don’t Hanafis combine prayers, when there are authentic hadiths about it?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

This issue is a major one between the fiqhi schools. The Hanafis have judged all the narrations on this issue to be based on the method of “apparent combining” (Jam’ al-Suri) not “real combining” (Jam’ al-Haqiqi). What this means is that since we are told to make every prayer on time, and there are hadiths of Ibn Mas’ud (R) which clarify that the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, never combined the prayers together (by taking a prayer out of its time) except in ‘Arafa and Muzdalifa during the [Hajj] pilgrimage.

The following, which is an excerpt the from the Fiqh al-Imam (third edition) currently under publication,[1] may be useful in understanding the hadiths on this issue:

From the Chapter on “Combining Two Prayers”:

‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (R) relates:

“I never observed the Messenger of Allah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam perform any prayer out of its time except at Muzdalifa. He combined Maghrib and ‘Isha at Muzdalifa.” (Sahih al-Bukhari 1:227, Sahih Muslim 1:417, Sharh Ma’ani ‘l-athar 1:164)

Another narration of Ibn Mas’ud (R) states:

“The Messenger of Allah combined two prayers whilst on a journey. He would combine Maghrib and ‘Isha by delaying Maghrib until just before its expiry time, and performing ‘Isha immediately as its time entered.” (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba 2:458)

‘A’isha narrates: “The Messenger of Allah, whilst on a journey, would delay Zuhr and perform ‘Asr early and would delay Maghrib and perform ‘Isha early (i.e. perform each prayer in its own time).” (Sharh Ma’ani ‘l-athar 1:164, Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba 2:457)

Ibn ‘Abbas (R) narrates:

“I performed eight rak’ats together (four of Zuhr and four of ‘Asr) and seven rak’ats together (three of Maghrib and four of ‘Isha) with the Messenger of Allah.” (One of the narrators says,) “I asked Abu ‘l-Sha’tha’, ‘I assume he delayed Zuhr (to the end of its time) and performed ‘Asr as soon as it entered, and delayed Maghrib (likewise) and performed ‘Isha early.’ He replied, ‘I also think the same.’ ” (Sahih Muslim 1:246, Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba 2: 456)

This hadith of Sahih Muslim is very clear about the exact description of combining two prayers. The method described by the narrator is Jam’ al-suri.

Imam Abu Dawud has transmitted the following:

The Mu’adhdhin of ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (R) informed him it was time for prayer. Ibn ‘Umar instructed him to continue on the journey. When the red of sunset (shafq ahmar) had nearly disappeared, he got of from his mount and performed Maghrib, and then he waited until the red had completely disappeared and performed Isha. He then said, “Whenever the Messenger of Allah (S) was in a hurry for some reason, he would do just as I have done.” (Sunan Abi Dawud 1:178)

As we can see, the method of combining mentioned in the above hadiths is none other than that of jam’ al-suri. It is an agreed upon method which nobody has any argument with. How can there be an objection to two prayers being performed together in a way that does not cause them to be performed either before their stipulated time or after it? Undoubtedly, this is the safest method of combining two prayers, and would be the most suitable way to explain the hadiths on combining.

It is also common knowledge that the Fajr prayer should not to be performed before its time or intentionally delayed beyond it. Similarly, other prayers should not be performed out of their stipulated times either, especially not while considering it to be sunna. This indicates that the sunna method of combining two prayers is jam’ al-suri, as has also been substantiated through the Qur’an and hadiths. This is the Hanafi opinion in this issue.

If it was permissible to practice jam’ al-haqiqi in the event of travel or illness, etc. then why is it confined to some prayers only? Why is it not permissible to perform all the prayers of the day together in the morning before departing on a journey? The reason for this is quite simple. The practice of combining mentioned in the hadiths is not to be taken as jam al-haqiqi, but as jam al-suri wherein each prayer remains in its own time, but are performed one after another.

And Allah knows best.

Wasallaam
Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

—————
Footnotes:

[1] The book Fiqh al-Imam by Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf has already been published by White Thread Press.

'Abdullah
11-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Assalam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Brother,
@AabiruSabeel
I wish you would have read the sahih hadith which I quotes at the start of my reply. Anyways let's look into those hadiths again:

Ibn 'Abbas reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together, and the sunset and Isha' prayers together without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey.
Reference:
Sahih Muslim 705 a
In-book reference : Book 6, Hadith 59
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 4, Hadith 1515

Ibn 'Abbas reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together in Medina without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey. (Abu Zubair said: I asked Sa'id [one of the narrators] why he did that. He said: I asked Ibn 'Abbas as you have asked me, and he replied that he [the Holy Prophet] wanted that no one among his Ummah should be put to [unnecessary] hardship.)
Reference:
Sahih Muslim 705 b
In-book reference: Book 6, Hadith 60
USC-MSA web (English) reference: Book 4, Hadith 1516

Now who combined prayers? My beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
What does Quran say - follow Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or Imam Abu Hanifa?
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) if you are Muslim.
Who was Quran revealed to? Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or Imam Abu Hanifa? Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
Who understand Quran and Shariah better? Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or Imam abu Hanifa?
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

My advice is again not to follow a madhab blindly because that leads to the nonsense which you just quoted above. All other madhabs have permitted the combining of prayers in the case of need as mentioned in the video I quoted previously.
Now to wrap this up, let's also look what exactly Imam Abu Hanifa said about following authentic Hadiths:

If a Hadith is authentic then that is my madhab.(Kalimat Tayibat (1/30)
Are the hadiths I quoted above authentic? Yes they are authentic by consensus. So if you are a Hanafi then follow that authentic hadith and don't make the religion difficult for yourself and for others.

Ma'a Salama

happy muslim
11-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Thank you all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.