/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dose Allah say 1000 years of our count or 1000 years of our reckoning?

Mountains
11-19-2019, 02:13 AM
Asc Brothers and sisters. This question have been bugging me tonight and I was wondering what if there was a slight mistake in the translation of that part. In some of the translations it says 1000 years of your reckoning and in others of what you count or dose it mean 1000 years of our count which than means reckoning. This can be solved by these who are well versed in Arabic and especially Quran arabic because if this is the case then we will be able to answer a bigger question.

Because if Allah exactly meant 1 day for him is equal to 1000 years of our reckoning then that would be 50-Milllion years ( 1000 * 50000 = 50-Million) It all will comes down to the translation of the word and how it is understood and as I said myself it can be solved by someone whos really well versed in quran arabic and to be fairly honest I am not well versed arabic and my knowlegde of it is very little so thats why I summon these who are well versed in arabic for this specific question and remember not modern arabic but Quran arabic

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
happy muslim
11-19-2019, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mountains
Asc Brothers and sisters. This question have been bugging me tonight and I was wondering what if there was a slight mistake in the translation of that part. In some of the translations it says 1000 years of your reckoning and in others of what you count or dose it mean 1000 years of our count which than means reckoning. This can be solved by these who are well versed in Arabic and especially Quran arabic because if this is the case then we will be able to answer a bigger question.

Because if Allah exactly meant 1 day for him is equal to 1000 years of our reckoning then that would be 50-Milllion years ( 1000 * 50000 = 50-Million) It all will comes down to the translation of the word and how it is understood and as I said myself it can be solved by someone whos really well versed in quran arabic and to be fairly honest I am not well versed arabic and my knowlegde of it is very little so thats why I summon these who are well versed in arabic for this specific question and remember not modern arabic but Quran arabic
You can make a dua to go to paradise.

'Abdullah
11-19-2019, 03:03 AM

Assalam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

The root word is عدد which means to count. I will quote some verses which I think you probably are referring to:

They challenge you to bring forth that torture [in Hell] and Allah will not break His promise; a day of your Lord [Paradise/Hell promise] is like a thousand years of what you count.
[Quran 22.47]
Here God promises those who do not believe in Hell and punishment that each day of their torture in Hell will measure a thousand years on Earth. Since you mentioned the time, I think it will be beneficial to look at this verse and Quran 70:4 and see how those two verses relate?

The angels and the Spirit will ascend to Him during a Day the extent of which is fifty thousand years.[Quran 70:4]
Time is relative. We know from Einstein that my clock and your clock will not run at the same rate. Time (or rate of our clocks) depends on acceleration and/or gravity. If my clock accelerates and/or is in a strong gravitational field then it will run slower than your clock. Quran 22:47 compares time on Earth with time at Paradise/Hell (1 day vs. 1000 years). While Quran 70:4 compares time on Earth with time in wormholes (1 day vs. 50,000 years).

Muslims believe that Paradise and Hell are both much bigger and much more massive than Earth (but still much smaller than God's Throne). The theory of general relativity says that time passes slower near an object more massive than Earth (clocks run slower in stronger gravitational fields). So according to general relativity, time should pass in Paradise/Hell much slower than on Earth. It is stated in the Quran that 1 day in Paradise/Hell measures a 1000 years on Earth.

So according to the Quran, time passes faster on Earth than in Paradise/Hell. But this agrees with the theory of general relativity which says that time passes slower near bigger mass. Paradise and Hell are much more massive than Earth and time should pass there much slower than on Earth.

Now this is very interesting and can help us find the age of universe. Let's first look at the description of earth's creation is Christianity and Islam:

Christians believe that God created the universe in 6 earthly days and rested on the 7th.

Muslims believe that 6 days passed at God's Throne but we experienced 13.7 billion years on Earth. Muslims believe that God is not bound to His Throne; rather He created it and set it as a reference. The Quran says that God's Throne is even wider than the whole universe, so how about the mass of God's Throne? God's Throne is much more massive than Earth. Time should pass there much slower than on Earth.

Our solar system is 4.57 billion years old.
Earth started accreting concurrently with the sun and our neighboring planets 4.57 bln years ago.
However the universe is 13.7 ± 0.2 bln years old. This places the age of Earth at one third the age of the universe (4.57 bln/13.7 bln = 1/3).
Muslims say that this is what Allah says. The Quran says that in God's Throne time Earth is 2 days old while the Heavens, Earth and everything in between are 6 days old (2/6 = 1/3):

And your Lord, Allah, who created the Heavens and the Earth in six days and then settled on the Throne...
[Quran 7.54]
Those six days are on the Throne; so the frame of reference for creation is the Throne, not Earth.
Say: "Is it that you deny Him [Allah] who created the Earth in two days? And you claim others to be equal to Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds.
[Quran 41.9]
And we have created the Heavens and Earth and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN in six days and We were not touched by fatigue.
[Quran 50.38]
All those days are on the Throne; the frame of reference for creation is the Throne. When God says that He created the Heavens, Earth and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN (including you and me) in six days this means that He is referring to the period of existence. Earth has been in existence for 2 days (out of 6).

Muslims believe that God sustains all living things. And all His commands to the angels to sustain man and animals were inscribed on the Preserved Tablet. The Quran says that not even a leaf would drop on Earth without it being previously recorded on this Preserved Tablet. God says that He inscribed this Preserved Tablet before the creation of Earth started; He answered our prayers today (as commands for the angels on the Preserved Tablet) during the first four days when Earth was still smoke. After this He ordered Earth to form.

Say: "Is it that you deny Him [Allah] who created the Earth in two days? And you claim others to be equal to Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds." He set on it (Earth) mountains, and bestowed it with blessings. And [Allah] estimated all its sustenance in four days, equally for those who ask (prayers) AFTER THIS (Thumma in Arabic) [Allah] commanded the heaven and it was still smoke. He said to it and to Earth: "Come together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come together, in willing obedience". So [Allah] judged them as seven heavens (one above the other) in two days and revealed to each heaven its orders. And We [Allah] adorned the lowest heaven with lights, and protection. Such is the decree of the Exalted; the Knowledgeable.
[Quran 41.9-12]
God answered our prayers today when Earth was still smoke (the first four days). After this (Thumma in Arabic) God ordered Earth to form. The formation of Earth took two days. So our prayers today are already answered on the Preserved Tablet since before the formation of Earth started. Also in the first two days God judged the seven superimposed heavens and revealed His orders to the angels (as instructions on the Preserved Tablet).

In God's Throne time, Earth is 2 days old while the Heavens, Earth and everything in between are 6 days old. This makes the age of Earth to be one third the age of the universe (2/6 = 1/3). Similarly in Earth time, the age of Earth is 4.57 billion years while the age of the universe is 13.7 (that is each day at God's Throne measures around 2.28 billion years on Earth). So according to the Quran:

God's Throne > Paradise/Hell > Earth
The smaller the mass, the faster the time.

We are sure that time is relative, that is, the age of the universe is different for observers with clocks running at different rates. For example, there exists an observer who measures the age of the universe to be 3 billion years, however he also measures the age of Earth to be 1 billion years. But the Quran presented it as a ratio (1/3) and this ratio turned out to be correct for any observer (whatever the clock rate). If the Quran presented it in any form other than a ratio it would have been wrong for different observers.

Quran 32:5 is time vs. distance; this gives us speed of angels which turned out to be the speed of light. However Quran 22:47 and Quran 70.4 are time vs. time (no distance); this is time dilation. Quran 22:47 compares time of Earth with time at Paradise/Hell (1 day vs. 1000 years). While Quran 70:4 compares time on Earth with time in wormholes (1 day vs. 50,000 years).

Anyways I ended up saying lot more than what you initially asked but I think it is worth to see the depth of qur'anic verses and how accurately it describes the age of universe. Allah knows the best!

Ma'a Salama

Mountains
11-19-2019, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
Assalam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

The root word is عدد which means to count. I will quote some verses which I think you probably are referring to:

Here God promises those who do not believe in Hell and punishment that each day of their torture in Hell will measure a thousand years on Earth. Since you mentioned the time, I think it will be beneficial to look at this verse and Quran 70:4 and see how those two verses relate?

Time is relative. We know from Einstein that my clock and your clock will not run at the same rate. Time (or rate of our clocks) depends on acceleration and/or gravity. If my clock accelerates and/or is in a strong gravitational field then it will run slower than your clock. Quran 22:47 compares time on Earth with time at Paradise/Hell (1 day vs. 1000 years). While Quran 70:4 compares time on Earth with time in wormholes (1 day vs. 50,000 years).

Muslims believe that Paradise and Hell are both much bigger and much more massive than Earth (but still much smaller than God's Throne). The theory of general relativity says that time passes slower near an object more massive than Earth (clocks run slower in stronger gravitational fields). So according to general relativity, time should pass in Paradise/Hell much slower than on Earth. It is stated in the Quran that 1 day in Paradise/Hell measures a 1000 years on Earth.

So according to the Quran, time passes faster on Earth than in Paradise/Hell. But this agrees with the theory of general relativity which says that time passes slower near bigger mass. Paradise and Hell are much more massive than Earth and time should pass there much slower than on Earth.

Now this is very interesting and can help us find the age of universe. Let's first look at the description of earth's creation is Christianity and Islam:

Christians believe that God created the universe in 6 earthly days and rested on the 7th.

Muslims believe that 6 days passed at God's Throne but we experienced 13.7 billion years on Earth. Muslims believe that God is not bound to His Throne; rather He created it and set it as a reference. The Quran says that God's Throne is even wider than the whole universe, so how about the mass of God's Throne? God's Throne is much more massive than Earth. Time should pass there much slower than on Earth.

Our solar system is 4.57 billion years old.
Earth started accreting concurrently with the sun and our neighboring planets 4.57 bln years ago.
However the universe is 13.7 ± 0.2 bln years old. This places the age of Earth at one third the age of the universe (4.57 bln/13.7 bln = 1/3).
Muslims say that this is what Allah says. The Quran says that in God's Throne time Earth is 2 days old while the Heavens, Earth and everything in between are 6 days old (2/6 = 1/3):

Those six days are on the Throne; so the frame of reference for creation is the Throne, not Earth.

All those days are on the Throne; the frame of reference for creation is the Throne. When God says that He created the Heavens, Earth and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN (including you and me) in six days this means that He is referring to the period of existence. Earth has been in existence for 2 days (out of 6).

Muslims believe that God sustains all living things. And all His commands to the angels to sustain man and animals were inscribed on the Preserved Tablet. The Quran says that not even a leaf would drop on Earth without it being previously recorded on this Preserved Tablet. God says that He inscribed this Preserved Tablet before the creation of Earth started; He answered our prayers today (as commands for the angels on the Preserved Tablet) during the first four days when Earth was still smoke. After this He ordered Earth to form.

God answered our prayers today when Earth was still smoke (the first four days). After this (Thumma in Arabic) God ordered Earth to form. The formation of Earth took two days. So our prayers today are already answered on the Preserved Tablet since before the formation of Earth started. Also in the first two days God judged the seven superimposed heavens and revealed His orders to the angels (as instructions on the Preserved Tablet).

In God's Throne time, Earth is 2 days old while the Heavens, Earth and everything in between are 6 days old. This makes the age of Earth to be one third the age of the universe (2/6 = 1/3). Similarly in Earth time, the age of Earth is 4.57 billion years while the age of the universe is 13.7 (that is each day at God's Throne measures around 2.28 billion years on Earth). So according to the Quran:

God's Throne > Paradise/Hell > Earth
The smaller the mass, the faster the time.

We are sure that time is relative, that is, the age of the universe is different for observers with clocks running at different rates. For example, there exists an observer who measures the age of the universe to be 3 billion years, however he also measures the age of Earth to be 1 billion years. But the Quran presented it as a ratio (1/3) and this ratio turned out to be correct for any observer (whatever the clock rate). If the Quran presented it in any form other than a ratio it would have been wrong for different observers.

Quran 32:5 is time vs. distance; this gives us speed of angels which turned out to be the speed of light. However Quran 22:47 and Quran 70.4 are time vs. time (no distance); this is time dilation. Quran 22:47 compares time of Earth with time at Paradise/Hell (1 day vs. 1000 years). While Quran 70:4 compares time on Earth with time in wormholes (1 day vs. 50,000 years).

Anyways I ended up saying lot more than what you initially asked but I think it is worth to see the depth of qur'anic verses and how accurately it describes the age of universe. Allah knows the best!

Ma'a Salama
Thanks for the reply brother. I agree with most of the things you posted and the relativity of time was never in question here nor the age of the universe or the 6 days in which Allah created the universe.

But my question was solely based on the 1000 years? was it 1000 years of our reckoning or day of count or what we count? or it could be said as simple ''our count''? The thing is arabic is rich language and can have many meanings and translations for same words.

My thinking was what if we missed something in that simple word or line in the Quran. Sometimes a meaning dosen't only form based on one word but a sentence. But all in all I appreciate your answer but I would need a clarification on the word and the sentence how it's applied in arabic.

For if Allah meant 1000 years of our reckoning then it becomes 1000 years of judgement day which means 1000 * 50000 = 50-million years

I need a clarification on the word itself and when the entire sentence is applied into one meaning thanks in advance bro

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Caplets
11-19-2019, 02:54 PM
السلام عليكم

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2272...thousand-years

'Abdullah
11-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply brother. I agree with most of the things you posted and the relativity of time was never in question here nor the age of the universe or the 6 days in which Allah created the universe.

But my question was solely based on the 1000 years? was it 1000 years of our reckoning or day of count or what we count? or it could be said as simple ''our count''? The thing is arabic is rich language and can have many meanings and translations for same words.

My thinking was what if we missed something in that simple word or line in the Quran. Sometimes a meaning dosen't only form based on one word but a sentence. But all in all I appreciate your answer but I would need a clarification on the word and the sentence how it's applied in arabic.

For if Allah meant 1000 years of our reckoning then it becomes 1000 years of judgement day which means 1000 * 50000 = 50-million years

I need a clarification on the word itself and when the entire sentence is applied into one meaning thanks in advance bro
Assalam O Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

As I mention before that the root word is
عدد which means to count.
تَعُدُّونَ means you count (from your reference point which is earth).
تَعُدُّونَ can also be translated as you reckon. Reckon literally mean to establish something after counting just like we establish a year after count 365 days.

Just like for Jannah Allah gives us examples of worldly things because that's easy for us to understand, even though Quran also says that no body knows what Allah holds for believers in Jannah. Similarly, whenever Allah talks about time in Quran, it is always from our reference point because that's what we understand better as human beings. So day of Judgement is 50,000 years of what we count and that's lot of years my friend. I can't imagine to stand just for one minute when sun is only a mile away and here we are talking about 50,000 years.

That's my understanding and Allah knows best. At the end of the day it does not matter whether day of judgement is 50,000 years or 50-million years, what matters is how much effort we are putting in to prepare ourselves for that. In either count, the severity of the day of judgement is immense and we all need Allah's mercy and lot of sincere actions to be saved on that day.

Our Lord, and grant us what You promised us through Your messengers and do not disgrace us on the Day of Resurrection. Indeed, You do not fail in [Your] promise.[Quran 3:194]

Ahmed.
11-21-2019, 09:40 PM
It's 1000 years of our years (I. E, earthly years). That's what the tafsir's say and tafsir is done by experts in Quranic Arabic

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.