/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am a former Tanakh Jew

Kyrate
04-12-2020, 08:10 PM
Salam.

My name is Mordecai and I am a former Tanakh Jew, having recited the Shahada online on Thursday 26th March at 8:30pm.

A Tanakh Jew is similar to a Karaite/Qara'i Jew, in that I believed in the sole infallibility and inerrancy of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh, otherwise known as the Miqra), but came across many problems with the text of Tanakh, such as the prophets (pbut) committed many great sins, there are various polytheistic verses (like Deut. 32:8-9), unfulfilled prophecies, contradictions and so on. Also, there is a prophecy in Deuteronomy 33:2 which references three mountains: Sinai (Moses (pbuh)), Seir (Isa (pbuh)) and Paran (Muhammad (pbuh)), as well as the prophecy which has three different interpretations. That prophecy says of a man coming from the brethren of Israel. Jews think that man is Joshua (pbuh), Christians think Isa (pbuh) and the only explanation that makes any sense is the Islamic interpretation: that it was Muhammad (pbuh) who came from the brethren, and the brethren of the House of Israel were the House of Ishmael.

I found getting used to living as a Sunni Muslim very easy, as it felt so natural, logical and structured. It felt like Allah wanted me to be a Muslim and not a practicing Jew.

I will have to change my name as Mordecai is a kosher name (despite it not potentially fulfilling the kosher name criteria, even though it is a Biblical name) but not an halal one. Also, another thing to note is that Tanakh and Qara'i Jews pray with full prostration.

I hope I haven't broken any rules, or broken Islamic etiquette.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
04-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Walaikum Assalaam

Mashallah, it's great to hear your story. Would love to learn more about you. Please stick around and enjoy your stay here. If there's anything you need to know or learn we will try our best to help Inshallah.

Welcome to Islam and the forum.

Kyrate
04-12-2020, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Walaikum Assalaam

Mashallah, it's great to hear your story. Would love to learn more about you. Please stick around and enjoy your stay here. If there's anything you need to know or learn we will try our best to help Inshallah.

Welcome to Islam and the forum.
Thank you for your kind welcome.

*charisma*
04-12-2020, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kyrate
Thank you for your kind welcome.
Anytime :)

Does your family know about your reversion? If so, were they accepting of it? Have you found a lot of differences between practicing as Jew vs a Muslim?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Caplets
04-12-2020, 08:30 PM
السلام عليكم

Welcome to the Islāmic community & to the forum.

May Allāh bless you with goodness in both worlds.

CuriousonTruth
04-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Interesting.

SintoDinto
04-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the forum!

SintoDinto
04-12-2020, 08:43 PM
also, welcome to Islam!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.