/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Losing Passion for making supplication

anonymous
08-19-2020, 09:37 AM
What does one do when the passion for making dua keeps waning?
Like, we are tld like that we are supposed to keep invoking Allah like with the same passion. But what happens when that passion begins to drop?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wayfarer91
08-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Mann... When u find out, do teme as well. I asked the same question a few days back but response wasnt of much help

Alpha Dude
08-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Nothing is constant.

We have passions for different things in different degrees and these passions differ over time. Sometimes we are very passionate about something and then another time, we are not.

For example, you might be struggling with weight and you initially have a passion to lose that weight and you go about restricting your diet and doing exercise. You might be doing it with full on commitment but over time, as you get used to it, your attention to it will waver. However, if you want to maintain results: you have to force yourself to continue.

Same thing.

anonymous
08-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Continue even if the urge is gone? Even if one is starting to make peace with the fact that perhaps it isnt meant to be?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alpha Dude
08-19-2020, 11:01 PM
Yes. You obviously have some inclination that dropping dua is a negative thing, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

It's not complicated:

Anything that Allah said to do is good and beneficial for us.
Shaytan has vowed to disrupt us from doing good.
Allah has commanded us to make dua
So shaytan will disrupt our dua
And we need to fight him

Even if one is starting to make peace with the fact that perhaps it isnt meant to be?
I think it helps if you have the mindset that Allah will give you what you request him, only if it is in your best interest. If not, ask Allah to actually remove it from your life and remove any inclination you have toward it. That way, you can never lose out in dua.

anonymous
08-20-2020, 06:22 AM
Akhhi but we don't know whether it is good for us or not. So how to keep that passion intact? my english is weak, i don't know how to make my point lucid

Avis
08-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Just remember that your Iman and passion will go up and down and act accordingly. When your passion reaches a low, do some extra good deeds and read some Islamic literature. Remind yourself that the reason that you may be discouraged is due to the whispers of Shaytaan. Also, try fasting on Mondays and Thursdays while also giving what you can in charity, it would help boost your Iman.

You're only Human, you can't have perfect faith all the time, accept it and do your best to combat it.

Ummshareef
08-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Remember that Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa always hears and answers our dua - though not always in the way that we expect, rather, in the way that is best for us even though we may not even recognise it.

My suggestions would be to maintain a dua list and to re-double your efforts when making dua in sha'Allah. So for example if you spend 10 minutes after each salat going through your dua list, then find the time to make dua for 20 mins. If you find this difficult then try to remember that Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa has created and sustains us and all our hope lies with Him. If we forget Allah and think we can navigate our own path through this dunya without His help, then sorry to say, but we are heading for kufr and the Fire.

anonymous
08-21-2020, 05:47 AM
@Avis so despite weak passion i should continue?

anonymous
08-21-2020, 05:49 AM
@Ummshareef that is not the answer to my question. Iam not doubting making dua, iam losing passion for it
Like if u ask ur mother to buy u candy continuously for a week and after a week u might prolly lose the enthusiasm with which u were asking for it on day1. U still want it, but not as bad as u did on day 1.on day 7 u would perhaps ask once or twice.. Where as on day 1 u might have drove her crazy askinf for the toy

amnasheikh99
08-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Perhaps you should remind yourself of the reason why you wanted something in the first place, e.g remind urself of the job u wanted and where u wanted, keep the goal in mind. I don't know whether it is a good piece of advice or not, but i feel like it might help.
@ümit perhaps you can share your wisdom

Avis
08-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Yes, you should never give up hope. Maybe change up your dua to include "if what I am asking for isn't good for me, please give me something better". It is possible that Allah already gave you something better but you just haven't realized it yet.

Here is a good video about Dua that someone else posted, I recommend you watch it:

anonymous
08-21-2020, 12:18 PM
@Avis
My question is not about faith in dua.
It is about enthusiasm.
Like the example quoted above. When u want a toy really bad and u ask ur parents and continue for week. on the first day you would be passionate, enthusiastic, begging like crazy.. But as days begin to pass, u start to forget about thw toy, and eventually u dont ask ur parents wth the same fervor as before..

Bringing to my question.. How to deal with that waning enthusiasm

Imraan
08-22-2020, 08:31 AM
I too lose enthusiasm occasionally for certain dua requests but I always still pray for it regardless and keep some faith and hope

Lately I've been thinking to change the request, i.e word it differently or stop making certain requests and ask for better alternatives.

The problem I have is im limited in courage, taking risks, resources, creativity etc. because I feel limited, I find it hard to pursue free will.

When you want something you do have to literally make efforts to go out and physically get it.

Can't just sit back and wait for it, because you don't know how long you'll be waiting for....

Sorry if I've gone off track.

Avis
08-22-2020, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
@Avis
My question is not about faith in dua.
It is about enthusiasm.
Like the example quoted above. When u want a toy really bad and u ask ur parents and continue for week. on the first day you would be passionate, enthusiastic, begging like crazy.. But as days begin to pass, u start to forget about thw toy, and eventually u dont ask ur parents wth the same fervor as before..

Bringing to my question.. How to deal with that waning enthusiasm
I think it is okay to lose enthusiasm for something that you want. Perhaps what you're asking for wouldn't benefit you as much as you think and that is why Allah hasn't given it to you yet. Or perhaps it is simply not the right time. So even if you lose enthusiasm for something, as long as you understand Allah wants what is best for you and you don't despair in His Mercy and Generosity, you will be fine.

When I start to lose enthusiasm for something, I just change my dua to something along the lines of "Please give me such and such if it is good for me and keep it away from me if it is bad for me, but please grant me something that is better".

If what you are asking for is something you consider very important, and Allah hasn't given it to you, remember that maybe He keeps it away in order to build you up in good deeds and to give you hardship now in order to erase some of your sins.

anonymous
08-22-2020, 11:35 AM
again, it refers to faith in dua, not enthusiasm. your solution,brother, is to stop asking for the thing. The rest of the explanation fits well with faith in dua. And how do we know why He is keeping something awy from us? for how long should we pray before moving on to the next one and understanding that the first dua isnt meant to be @Avis

anonymous
08-22-2020, 11:37 AM
@Imraan
i guess you are right, but that means we don't have faith in our real dua in the first place. that's why we changed it. I wanto change the dua, but my mind tells me not to, but the passion is gone.

wayfarer91
08-22-2020, 02:03 PM
But does it not mean that uve lost the faith in dua? That's why u changed it?

Ummshareef
08-22-2020, 02:34 PM
@Ummshareef that is not the answer to my question. Iam not doubting making dua, iam losing passion for it
If you are not feeling enthusiastic about making dua then it seems to imply that you are not very concerned about whatever it is that you are asking Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa for. In other words you do not really mind whether or not Allah answers your request. One day, I am sure that you will have a desperate need for Allah's help about something, in which case I am sure that you enthusiasm for making dua will come flooding back.

Imraan
08-22-2020, 07:09 PM
I pray and supplicate after every salah. Have been praying for the same things for a long time.

Some of the stuff I ask for, I will ask for until my last breath insh Allah. Like for our prophet pbuh, for the deceased, parents, family, relatives, muslimeen, the sick, the struggling, the poor, the oppressed... That is a definete and will always will be. My mom instilled this prayer in me when I was around 12 years old... Some 27 years ago..... This I will never lose a passion for, this is evident based on the fact that I made these supplications for 27 years alone!

However for specific circumstances relating to the needs of myself and my family, well that passion fluctuates, most times passion is high because I maintain faith, but sometimes even though it all rolls off my tongue as habit, my faith can be low depending on whether from my perception I see my circumstances Improve/remedied or not.

Even then I can't keep crying or asking for support from friends, family or even here... Because certain circumstances are prolonged by the will of Allah swt. There's only one thing you can do, cry to Allah swt because he is the only one you can cry to endlessly.....

SubhanAllah

anonymous
08-23-2020, 06:22 AM
This is it, You still keep praying habitually. But it is always said that conviction counts while making dua? and the passion too

Imraan
08-23-2020, 06:34 PM
All I know is my desires have always been deep in my heart.... (can't say that they've always been legit unfortunately) but nonetheless Allah swt knows what is in my heart..

To quote quran... :

وَأَسِرُّوا قَوْلَكُمْ أَوِ اجْهَرُوا بِهِ إِنَّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِذَاتِ الصُّدُورِ

“He knows what is in every heart.”

— Surah Al-Mulk [67:13]”

Have to believe even when passion and conviction is low... He knows.....

May Allah swt guide us all even when in doubt....

Remain a strong believer and maintain your faith...

Reminds me of Night of power.... Laylatul qadr... That is a special night... You have to put all efforts in and pray like you never have done so before. That night separates all the other nights in the year... You can't afford to be low in faith or passion on that night, you just can't!

amnasheikh99
08-28-2020, 06:06 AM
But that day is a year away! no?

Wordsword
08-28-2020, 08:07 AM
I guess it happens when you start to love dunya more than Allah, but one has to hate dunya. It is an enemy

anonymous
08-28-2020, 08:44 AM
But Allah doesn't tell us to hate duniya..it is not an enemy, it is a test.!

Imraan
08-28-2020, 10:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amnasheikh99
But that day is a year away! no?
Hah. Yes that's why we
- make that night so special so we regret less of not doing enough....
- pray we get to partake yet in another Ramadan again. You say one year....? Its September after weekend... Then roughly 8 months to go for Ramadan... Watch its imminent arrival...

I think generally we have to believe every dua / supplication counts, on that basis we supplicate throughout the day in general and after prayers...on a daily basis..

Believe it or not despite lacking in faith sometimes I also sometimes believe the possibility of miracles being imminent.. I mean I've seen and experienced miracles before so why not?... This is something I've found myself not willing to let go of. Maybe this thought along with my duas is all I have.... Maybe...

Have to exercise patience and try to stay positive... I keep telling myself...

amnasheikh99
08-28-2020, 01:05 PM
That is true, sad and hopeful all in one...

anonymous
08-28-2020, 11:10 PM
but akhi, I get confused. I am losing passion for dua. And when i make dua, I get the feeling to like "move on"from the whole situation I am invoking Allah for.! So the passion, and faith both are compromised.

amnasheikh99
08-30-2020, 07:22 AM
Thankyou all for your kind words, I want to say something, but I am restricted by a few things.
I didn't mean to hurt any one's sentiments whilst saying God is unfair towards women. I just feel like that. Emotionally and physically women are weak. They have a biological clock which makes them less attractive or suitable for marriage as they grow old. A man can marry a 20 year old in his 40s. But I have n't seen the case the other way around. Pakistan is the worst country to be a woman.

I have been in pain for the past 6 months. The pain is only going to increase from now on. Knowing that jannat is not guaranteed to all Muslims, especially not to the ones who commit suicide. Bbut I have had enough. If you guys could take a moment recite durood sharif (durood e ibrahimi) and make dua for Allah to grant me what I want, I will appreciate it.
Másalam

Imraan
08-30-2020, 07:27 AM
but akhi, I get confused. I am losing passion for dua. And when i make dua, I get the feeling to like "move on"from the whole situation I am invoking Allah for.! So the passion, and faith both are compromised.
Ya akhi... I understand how you feel. May Allah swt guide us.

Not sure how old you are but at my age I felt the effect...

The cultivation of negativity within your mental state.... Cant be healthy can it? . I was cultivating it.... Then I realise now the side effect on my physiological health... And I still feel it. Let hope and faith counteract that.

So be mindful of it.

Stay hopeful, Insh Allah the door will open, if not then another door will open in its stead..... Soon....

ashraf__
11-27-2020, 10:03 PM
just registered to answer this thread and the psudo molvis who are always saying suffer here for the great after life, you are here because of your love for dunia, yada yada...

brother let me tell you this stay away from such folks as they will only add on to your misery. they wont understand it because Allah hasn't blessed them with hardship like you with your level of tolerance.

passion is like a sine curve will fluctuate, as long as you know you are trying that should be good enough....

growing up in islamic countries I also felt that Allah is out there to get you on every fault of yours all good things are haram and all the good life and luxuries are for arabs...

that sure killed my passion

my passion came back when I started to think why does every surah start with Bismillahi Rahman er Rahim..... yet almost every other molvi competes with each other on who can be the most harsh.... then i found out the so called scholars will be among the first to go to jahanam....

I used to think Allah is unfair too.... i come from the indian subcontinent where muslims are very poor and used to think Allah only loves the arabs so he gave them all the prophets we never got any and all the riches, then I came to realize our people (people from bangla india and pak) are even worse than the arabs, if look at whats happening in the subcontinent you will get your answer...

I came to realize whenever you have questions you should have a balanced approach of deen and dunia, only jahils will tell you to focus on deen only. When you start appreciating the dunia you have more opportunities for saying a heart felt shukur Alamdhulilah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.