/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Hebdo trial, cartoon republished

IslamLife00
09-05-2020, 01:11 PM
The French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo has re-published the controversial cartoons that made it the target of a terror attack in 2015.
On Wednesday, 14 of the alleged suspects will go on trial accused of helping the two brothers who carried out the massacre.
12 Charlie Hebdo staff were killed in the shooting, and five more died in a related attack in Paris.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IslamLife00
09-06-2020, 09:03 PM
It was narrated that Abu Talhah said:
"I heard the Messenger of Allah [SAW] say: 'The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image of an animate being.'" Sunan An-Nasa'i

It was narrated from Ibn 'Umar that:
The Prophet [SAW] said: "The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them: 'Breathe life into that which you have created.'" Sunan An-Nasa'i

MazharShafiq
09-07-2020, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamLife00
It was narrated that Abu Talhah said:
"I heard the Messenger of Allah [SAW] say: 'The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image of an animate being.'" Sunan An-Nasa'i

It was narrated from Ibn 'Umar that:
The Prophet [SAW] said: "The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them: 'Breathe life into that which you have created.'" Sunan An-Nasa'i
No doubt.

سيف الله
09-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Salaam

More comment.

Nice thread on the subject.

Do as I say not as I do. . . . . . . .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
سيف الله
09-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Salaam

More comment

Charlie Hebdo – Part Deux

Posted by MASKED AVENGER on SEPTEMBER 3, 2020

Yesterday saw the delayed start of the trial of fourteen suspected accomplices to the 2015 Charlie Hebdo attack. Postponed for four months due to the coronavirus pandemic, three of the accused are being tried in absentia, reportedly having evaded apprehension by fleeing to Islamic State held territory in Syria. To mark the occasion the magazine republished the 12 cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad which sparked the deadly attack on their Paris office five and a half years ago, resulting in the death of twelve people including its editor and controversial cartoonist, Stéphane Charbonnier.

That the cartoons in question were insulting and highly provocative isn’t really open to debate (yes, I have viewed them) and I doubt Charbonnier or any of his team would have even denied the charge. Satire through wanton insult and mockery was Charlie Hebdo’s modus operandi after all and part of a French tradition of iconoclasm through caricature. For decades, if not centuries, it was the ecclesiastic hypocrisies of the Catholic Church that found itself the subject of this distinctly Gallic form of earthy humour; in fact the English adjective used to describe it, Rabelaisian, was coined in honour of the French Renaissance writer, François Rabelais whose grotesque, bawdy satirising of Catholic beliefs and practises set the precedent for the iconoclasts of the Siècle des Lumières.

Of course, Charbonnier and his team would have been well aware when they decided to publish those fateful images that insulting Islam was an altogether different proposition from deriding a Catholicism that had been rendered effete from two centuries of laicité and a swingeing campaign of de-Christianisation conducted in the aftermath of the 1789 revolution. They would have been aware that to abuse Muslim religious sensitivities was to invite a rather more robust response than a letter of complaint to the editor and a boycott of the magazine from its (non-existent) Muslim readership. Like juveniles they thought to amuse themselves by holding a flame to a pressurised aerosol can, only for it to explode in their faces. Tragic, but not altogether surprising.

Now I appreciate at this point you’re probably already screaming ‘terrorist’ (or something more profane and unprintable) but take another gulp of your latte followed by a deep breath and persevere a little more, if not for the sake of social cohesion then perhaps just out of morbid curiosity.

Every society, every civilisation, has its totems and its hallowed cows. Those venerated symbols and personalities deemed beyond the reach of contumely. For example, in the United Kingdom a 2011 YouGov poll indicated that 82% of voters backed the prosecution of those who set fire to poppies, which in that very same year is precisely what happened to one Emdadur Choudhury. After chanting “British soldiers burn in hell” – during Remembrance Day’s customary two minutes silence – he decided to further signal his contempt for the British Armed Forces by setting alight that universally acknowledged symbol of her war dead, the plastic poppy. Witnesses in the subsequent prosecution spoke of their distress upon seeing the spectacle and it was in the words of district judge Howard Riddle, “…a calculated and deliberate insult”.

As it was an act likely to cause “harassment, harm or distress” (the criterion for conviction under the Public Order Act) to those who had seen it he duly found the defendant guilty. Given that the act was carried out under police guard and it was abundantly clear that there was no possible threat to person or property – nor indeed was it directed at anyone in particular – the only one of the three conditions that could possibly have been met was that of distress. But distress to what precisely?

To personal feelings. To the idea that the honour of the British war dead is inviolable and not to be subjected to mockery or insult. You don’t have to be a genius to see where I’m going with this.

Across the Channel and approximately contemporaneous to the aforementioned incident the French government decided that insult to the national flag should be made a criminal offence and duly enacted legislation making it punishable by a fine of up to €1500. Their decision came on the back of a photo contest held in the riviera town of Nice which awarded a prize to a picture showing a man wiping his backside with the tricolour. Due to complaints the “offending” photo was withdrawn. It would appear then that people’s feelings do matter at times. But only certain people’s and certainly not Muslims’.

Again, at around the same time, the renowned neoconservative author and current associate editor of the right-wing publication, The Spectator, Douglas Murray was putting forward his views on freedom of expression, insult and social cohesion during a BBC panel discussion broadcast on radio. Given that he’s currently doing the rounds applauding Charlie Hebdo’s decision to republish their invidious depictions of Islam’s most revered personality I thought it’s worth reproducing some of what he said that day. For the sake of context, the discussion is centred on the merits (or demerits) of erecting a Muslim cultural centre in the vicinity of the Ground Zero site in New York (a project that in the end never came to fruition).

“…but there’s something else in this and Ruth [Deech] mentioned it earlier, which is the issue of sensitivities. You can have the legal right to do all sorts of things but in societies that work people make private decisions and public decisions about things that they will do that will aggravate their neighbours and so on…now I think this is a very good moment to say to Muslims in American and to Muslim in Britain and around the world, ‘fine, we hear a very great deal from you about your sensitivities, well we have sensitivities too…yes you can legally build this huge cultural centre just by Ground Zero but we think that in the interests of a pluralistic and genuinely open society it would be better if you took it elsewhere’…”

Upon being challenged by co-panellist, Maajid Nawaz, as to whether there was a right not to be offended in a liberal society he went on to say:

“I think it’s a bad idea in this case…in grown up societies we realise that we have to be offended at times…but there are times when the offense is organised, is grotesque like this and when you are walking on, yes you do, as I repeated earlier…you have the right to tread over very many people’s sensitivities, you do have that right but I would say that in this case you should not exercise it.”

Which stands in stark contrast to his more recent pronouncements, most notably on Iain Dale’s LBC radio show where he lamented that other publications had never wished to associate themselves with, let alone emulate, the crass provocations of Charlie Hebdo despite them being “totally legal in French law”. Over the passage of the past decade it seems legalism has established a higher order of precedence in Mr Murray’s calculus than concerns about sensitivities, aggravating neighbours, organised and grotesque offence or even pluralistic, genuinely open societies.

Inevitably at this juncture there will be plenty of you proclaiming that you’re not afflicted by such hypocrisies and that you genuinely believe in the “right to offend”, no matter its recipient. But do you? And the litmus test for this is when you see the curtailment of speech or other forms of expression you find ‘grossly offensive’, which runs roughshod over all that you hold dear – do you speak out as vociferously as you have done in support of Charlie Hebdo? If so then please do get in touch as I have a list of causes I think you might be interested in.

I could point out innumerable instances of Western hypocrisy on the matter of Free Speech but then to what end? If we can just accept as axiomatic that every community has something they feel a strong depth of attachment to and which the humiliation of would constitute a form of violence towards their very identity then perhaps we might be able to break the current impasse we find ourselves in.

Do I, as a Muslim (to borrow a phrase from my ‘liberal progressive’ Muslim brethren), feel that mockery and insult of the Prophet Muhammad (or Jesus or any of the other Prophets of God) ought to be permissible under law? No. Would I, ideally, wish for it be banned and severely punished? Sure (in much the same way I would ideally like a 300% pay rise and a three-day working week). Do I believe Charlie Hebdo have the ‘right’ to publish such filth? Unlike most mainstream Muslim commentators, I won’t sugar coat the reality – no, I do not, and I guarantee you most Muslims do not either. Do I appreciate, however, that under the statutes of secular European states such degeneracy, masquerading as satire and political commentary, is legal? Yes, I do. And while I don’t seek to interfere with this legal prerogative (although clearly this isn’t a sentiment shared by every other Muslim) I do reserve my right to denounce the type of vulgar insults publications such as Charlie Hebdo seem so fond of printing. I have no expectation that European nations will be reintroducing blasphemy laws (which incidentally existed in Britain right into the 1990s – but only for Christianity) nor do I agitate for their return as I realise the futility of such an endeavour.

So, what do I really want? What are my demands, so to speak? Well let me start by saying that my words are not aimed at the likes of Tommy Robinson and his hoard of monosyllabic lager louts. So, if that’s you reading feel free to get back to your Heineken (and congratulations for getting this far into a serious piece of writing). Neither do I appeal to the Douglas Murray constituency despite their more urbane mannerisms. Rather I’m appealing to that vast undecided middle ground, those with no innate hatred towards the Muslim community but who feel some measure of disquiet about aspects of Islamic belief and practise. To you I say that I understand your desire for us to assimilate. To adopt Western secular mores and behaviours. But just as with the Jewish community, who are our forerunners as the target of visceral European hatred, we simply cannot abandon our identity and expecting us to abjure the central tenets of Islam is to impose just such a demand upon us. Naturally, we will resist it. Bitterly.

We don’t expect you to love Islam or be wildly enthusiastic about it. If you don’t like it, or the actions of its founder, that is, of course, your prerogative. No compulsion in religion as the famous Qur’anic dictum goes. And believe it or not we’re not all that bothered if you choose to criticise or otherwise critique our faith; just please do it in a manner conducive to civilised discourse and debate. Bear in mind that the iconoclasts of the Renaissance and Enlightenment were taking aim at majoritarian views and practises not those of beleaguered minorities. That doesn’t mean, of course, that we expect to be immune to scrutiny, merely that you bear in mind the propensity for constant vituperative attacks on our faith – especially by those with sizeable public platforms – to engender violence or other forms of harassment towards us.

So please choose your words carefully so as not to give succour to those who might seize upon your speech as some manner of justification for their thuggery. Lastly with respect to the “organised and grotesque” offence of publications such as Charlie Hebdo would it be too much to ask for you to refrain from lionising them as champions of free expression? Respecting the legal right of someone to behave like a moron and to occasion gross offence doesn’t require their apotheosis.

If I can bring myself to ignore the provocations of individuals such as Charbonnier is it too much to ask that you don’t add to my pain by valorising them?

Somehow we all need to make this work, even if it be through gritted teeth at times. We can agree to disagree on occasion, and that’s fine. As a Muslim there is much I admire about the West, and much about its contemporaneous culture that I despise. I suspect many in the West feel the same about Islam. Which, again, is fine. If, as a Muslim, I can recognise the stupidity of burning poppies as a means of making a point about Western war crimes, is it really too much to ask for you to acknowledge the crassness of lewd caricatures of my Prophet?

https://maskedavenger1.wordpress.com...bdo-part-deux/

muslim brother
09-16-2020, 12:10 PM
No matter what our non muslim neighbours do, obviously to generate some reaction here ,muslims are advised to remain calm and only engage in legal/peaceful methods of protests.

There is no better example ,than The incident of Taif ,which all muslims know of.

We pray for peoples guidance,not destruction.

IslamLife00
09-24-2020, 05:58 PM
The president paid tribute to the victims of the attacks:
“We will all have a thought for the women and men who were cowardly shot because they drew, wrote, corrected, were there to help, to deliver.”
The 2015 attacks at the magazine’s headquarters took place on January 7, when two armed men killed 12 and injured 11.
The men identified themselves as members of ISIS

From : https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/202...ic-separatism/

The city of Tabres, in southwestern France, woke up this morning to an act of Islamophobia, with anti-Islam tags on the walls of a local mosque.
The hate-fueled vandalism aroused condemnation among some French officials, including the minister of interior and the mayor of the city.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/202...nch-officials/

muslim brother
09-25-2020, 12:13 PM
https://news.sky.com/story/four-woun...paris-12081221

Down
Islamist extremists attacked the offices in the French capital in 2015, killing 12 people....

JAM_Here
09-25-2020, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL
https://news.sky.com/story/four-woun...paris-12081221

Down
Islamist extremists attacked the offices in the French capital in 2015, killing 12 people....
For my own , I try to ignore cartoons depicting prophet. What are peaceful ways for Muslims to object to such cartoons ?

muslim brother
09-25-2020, 04:20 PM
its very simple. do not click on links to them. do not tweet or spread further.
the cartoons are not shoved in our faces.
people choose to look at them.

increase in durood and personal good deeds .

and as always, obey the law of the land.

SoldierAmatUllah
09-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Oh ALLAH- Incur Your Wrath on the ones behind this & those individuals who mock at Your Religion & Prophet!

Oh ALLAH- curse them&shake them with a mighty shaking!

Aameen

Logikon
10-01-2020, 01:57 AM
12 Charlie Hebdo staff were killed in the shooting, and five more died in a related attack in Paris.
The "related attack" was after the first massacre, they drove 20k to a Jewish supermarket and killed people inside!

In this thread there is no sympathy for the dead. No prayers for the dead.

format_quote Originally Posted by JAM_Here
What are peaceful ways for Muslims to object to such cartoons ?
There are sayings:
1. "Every joke has an element of truth to it. That's why it is funny."
2. "the pen is mightier than the sword".

Muslims around the world kill in the name of Islam. The cartoons are a peaceful way for us to object to such things.

So, why don't Muslims make cartoons about the Charlie Hedbo magazine?

IslamLife00
10-29-2020, 02:39 AM

Islami.Mu'mina
10-29-2020, 03:37 AM
The "related attack" was after the first massacre, they drove 20k to a Jewish supermarket and killed people inside!
ISIS members will be held accountable for their sins and oppression against others

Muslims around the world kill in the name of Islam. The cartoons are a peaceful way for us to object to such things.
Yeah, making cartoons and disgracing a dead prophet who taught people good manners and suffered so much pain from the polytheists at the time because he was trying to spread good and cut out evil... Great idea and peaceful way!... No.

These cartoons are not peaceful. Look what happened. Just because these news editors didn't kill someone with their own hands doesn't mean they aren't guilty. These cartoons are spreading hatred. It provoked terrorists to kill the non Muslims. On top of that, it is promoting islamophobia and hatred towards Muslims as two women in France were stabbed. More and more people are hating Muslims.

Yet somehow, anti islamic cartoons are a great way to fight terrorism as some people say! There is no need to provoke the beasts from their hiding spots and hurt the peaceful Muslims. Fighting fire with fire is a ridiculous idea. Both sides will be hurt: Muslims and non Muslims

We won't stoop as low to make these cartoons like them

IslamLife00
10-29-2020, 04:01 AM
Half-sister of the suspect chechen teen joined ISIS in Syria in 2014

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...701_story.html

Islami.Mu'mina
10-29-2020, 03:20 PM
More attacks

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54729957

was posted 15 minutes ago.

email
The mayor of Nice says a suspect has been arrested after the attack at the Notre-Dame basilica....

IslamLife00
11-01-2020, 01:32 AM

IslamLife00
11-01-2020, 01:39 AM

- - - Updated - - -

IslamLife00
11-01-2020, 01:42 AM

Abz2000
11-01-2020, 04:44 AM
Hows about some deepfake edits of macron's mom getting manhandled by trump and boris, then as a result - out pops king elizabeth reincarnated as a royal virus - who re-embarks on his population control cull adjustment, then goes on to tame and sell all oyster card holders to the banks to be processed and rfid tagged as servants who demand and accept well planned and orchestrated abuse under the notion that it's all for their own good.

IslamLife00
11-03-2020, 09:58 AM

Miguel Angel Moratinos, head of UN Anti extremism body, said the inflammatory caricatures have also provoked acts of violence against innocent civilians who were attacked for their sheer religion, belief or ethnicity.
Justin Trudeau said that terrorist attacks in France are heinous criminal attacks, unjustifiable - the perpetrators of these attacks do not represent Islam.

SoldierAmatUllah
11-03-2020, 10:23 AM
May Allah punish the French kuffar,Aameen

MazharShafiq
11-03-2020, 11:20 AM
May Allah make Muslims brave and United.

IslamLife00
11-06-2020, 02:06 AM
Charlie Hebdo, the French satire magazine known for its controversial cartoons, is well-known for claiming 'freedom of speech' to take shots at everyone.
But it once fired a major contributor, Maurice Sinet, for alleged 'anti-Semitism.'

Logikon
12-21-2020, 11:56 PM
Christians say that Christ was tortured and died on the cross for the sins of others.

Muslims say that nobody should be punished for the sins of others.

Not all Muslims say that of course. One Muslim ran into a church and cut the throat of a little old lady over the cartoon issue.

And most Muslims take this view:
format_quote Originally Posted by SoldierAmatUllah
May Allah punish the French kuffar, Aameen

Islami.Mu'mina
12-22-2020, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Logikon
Christians say that Christ was tortured and died on the cross for the sins of others.

Not all Muslims say that of course. One Muslim ran into a church and cut the throat of a little old lady over the cartoon issue.

And most Muslims take this view:
You need to rethink some things. First of all, the terrorist attacks were not ok, we obviously know that. ISIS, I don't even know what to describe them as. It seems like they are just filled with hate. "Fighting in the name of Allah" to fill whatever hole that has been created in their diseased heart. The teacher who drew the cartoon was literally mutilated which isn't even an islamic thing.

But most especially this woman is whom I offer my condolences to. Someone who was killed in her own place of worship. Even during a state of actual WAR and battle, Islamically it is impermissible to kill someone in their place of worship while they are worshipping. ( i forgot the source but this is a condition of war. Now imagine how much worse of a sin it would be if it isn't during a war.)

" Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly" (60:8)

We do not blame those who have got nothing to do with this situation.

I wanted you to keep in mind. When you transgress against Allah, he will forgive you when you ask. When you transgress against another human being and take away their right, he will forgive you but you also must get the person's forgiveness. Everything shall be settled on judgement day! That man killed a random woman for no good reason. Just the hatred in his heart so he will be accounted for it

I also think you need to reread this which I had already showed you

These cartoons are not peaceful. Look what happened. Just because these news editors didn't kill someone with their own hands doesn't mean they aren't guilty. These cartoons are spreading hatred. It provoked terrorists to kill the non Muslims. On top of that, it is promoting islamophobia and hatred towards Muslims as two women in France were stabbed. More and more people are hating Muslims.

Yet somehow, anti islamic cartoons are a great way to fight terrorism as some people say! There is no need to provoke the beasts from their hiding spots and hurt the peaceful Muslims. Fighting fire with fire is a ridiculous idea. Both sides will be hurt: Muslims and non Muslims
These cartoons clearly aren't helping. And we will be angry at those who create them. It isn't only hurting the muslims, it's hurting the non muslims as well.

This so called "freedom of speech" Emmanual Macron is promoting is his own stupid way of starting terror attacks. How is it freedom of speech if it is at the cost of other lives?

He's starting the fitna for whatever agenda he has.

SoldierAmatUllah
12-22-2020, 02:53 AM
Certainly no one should dare to insult Prophets (peace be upon all of them).

This brings punishment for sure.Look at the illumanati peeps,their destruction is happening in this world itself.

And since this is the way of God to not punish the blasphemers against His Prophets,people should fear from reading accounts of past nations that disrespected&disobeyed their Prophets(peace be upon them)

And when it comes to Prophet Mohammed(peace&blessings of Allah be upon him)then the issue gets more serious.It's not just ISIS but the whole nations Stance to shut up the evil clatter.

Yes,we don't kill people in worship places -Comment on your oppression first & then we can discuss the rest.

Eric H
12-22-2020, 10:56 AM
the perpetrators of these attacks do not represent Islam.
Hopefully, the perpetrators of these cartoons do not represent the French people.

Islami.Mu'mina
12-22-2020, 08:05 PM
.It's not just ISIS but the whole nations Stance to shut up the evil clatter.
Except ISIS is carrying it out the immoral wrong way.

manofIslam
12-23-2020, 05:54 AM
But isn't it the duty of every Muslim to defend our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.)?

Eric H
12-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Greetings and peace be with you manofIslam;

But isn't it the duty of every Muslim to defend our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.)?
Yes!

But peaceful means are more powerful in the long term. They will all have to stand before Allah at some point.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people.
Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.