/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Unmarried daughter rights on mothers house

Zebazubair
03-16-2022, 08:43 PM
Asalamuwalekum,

My bothers and sisters, can you you please advice me to make a right decision with my younger sister.
We are 4 sisters and 3 are married, my younger sister is unmarried but is a working women. My mother have distributed all her legal properties equally in all 4 of us but now we have household stuffs like current house which she and mother was living where does all the furniture goes. Should we sell it and divide everything into 4 or does my younger sister have all right on the household stuffs as she is unmarried and she was maintaining the house when my mother was alive.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
03-17-2022, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zebazubair
Asalamuwalekum,

My bothers and sisters, can you you please advice me to make a right decision with my younger sister.
We are 4 sisters and 3 are married, my younger sister is unmarried but is a working women. My mother have distributed all her legal properties equally in all 4 of us but now we have household stuffs like current house which she and mother was living where does all the furniture goes. Should we sell it and divide everything into 4 or does my younger sister have all right on the household stuffs as she is unmarried and she was maintaining the house when my mother was alive.
Asalaamualaykum:

Whatever property inside your mothers house that belonged to any sister would go back to that particular sister.
Example: you had a sofa in your mothers house but it was understood by all that it is your sofa in ownership and you didn't gift it to your mother, then that sofa should go back to you.

After each sister removes their rightful property from the house (if any) then its understood that the remainder left behind is your mothers in ownership and that remainder would be split.

The fact that the remaining unmarried sister "maintained the house and mother" has no real impact of the splitting ratio unless otherwise agreed upon. Remember that your unmarried sister who was maintaining your mother had to anyway out of moral islamic circumstances and not the intent of gaining from inheritance.

Inheritance is complicated and I advise to speak to an Aalim/a about it.

Imraan
03-18-2022, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zebazubair
Asalamuwalekum,

Walaikum salaam

Personally i would encourage the three sisters to forego everything in the mothers house. Is it really worth the hassle and the headache and the potential to turn any relationship awkward (if it isnt already)? I mean what if it becomes so petty?

Depends on your outlook on life and what stage you are at and how much material stuff means to you..... are you a keep it simple type person or are you a lets complicate things type person.

Decision must be unanimous in any case and not everyone is the same but for ones peace of mind they can opt out and forego everything on their part by cutting ties altogether with the materials in the moms house.

sorry for feeling sorry for the unmarried sister... i mean what if she spends the rest of her life unmarried and alone in that house? you still visit her right. I know most materials has sentimetal value especially if you are a hoarder, lolz.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.