/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can I give zakat to my husband ?

UmmAisha
04-15-2022, 09:52 PM
Assalamu alaikum
my husband has lost his job and has no money for rent, food etc. he doesn’t live with me. Can he have my zakat money? The only reason I am hesitant is because he unfortunately has a drinking and drugs problem (hence why he isn’t living with me atm.) I am already getting advice on this separately. If I give him zakat money I can’t 100% guarantee that he won’t be buying alcohol, however without any help he will probably be made homeless as he doesn’t have a penny to his name. He is both poor and needy at the moment as he is behind on rent payments, has no money for food or for clothes. He had a job but lost it and I don’t know when he will get another job. He is not receiving any benefits or income of any sort. Please advise

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
04-16-2022, 06:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmAisha
Assalamu alaikum
my husband has lost his job and has no money for rent, food etc. he doesn’t live with me. Can he have my zakat money? The only reason I am hesitant is because he unfortunately has a drinking and drugs problem (hence why he isn’t living with me atm.) I am already getting advice on this separately. If I give him zakat money I can’t 100% guarantee that he won’t be buying alcohol, however without any help he will probably be made homeless as he doesn’t have a penny to his name. He is both poor and needy at the moment as he is behind on rent payments, has no money for food or for clothes. He had a job but lost it and I don’t know when he will get another job. He is not receiving any benefits or income of any sort. Please advise
Wa Alaikum Asalaam,

The majority of scholars except the Hanbali Scholars and a few others from the other Mathaib state that the wife cannot give her Zakaat to her husband. However this is only due to the fact that the wife may benefit from that money in some way or another, which is not the case with your situation. So I would suggest to check with a local trustworthy Scholar on this issue. However one suggestion maybe just to keep on the safe side is that can you not just give him voluntary Sadaqa instead?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.