/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it better to read surahs in arabic or translation

spikyboi
07-14-2023, 04:56 AM
my best language is english, and i prefer to read a translation of the Quran. however, for example today is friday, and is it better for me to read the arabic or the translation of surat al kahf??

thank you very much,
wz :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ishrak
07-16-2023, 06:24 AM
Assalamualykum,
The Quran is the Quran only in Arabic and we are required to read it in Arabic. It was revealed in Arabic and that is the language we must read it in.
Ofcourse, knowing and understanding what we are reading is necessary as well, so if you want to read the translation, thats great, but read it along with the Arabic. Dont leave the arabic.

for eg: if you read surah kahf every friday, start with reading a couple pages in arabic with the meaning, and complete the rest in arabic. eventually, keep increasinf the number of pages u read in arabic and english.

this will also help you start catching on to arabic words.

after a couple of reads, even if you do not know the meanings of every word, you will be able to understand the main concepts of the Ayahs which will be good enough for now.

it is vital to attempt to learn arabic as well in order to truly connect with the Quran. The translations do not do justice to the depth of meaning the arabic words carry, which adds to my point that the quran is the quran, only in arabic. you may think the translation is enough by itself, but it isnt. you can look up some videos explaining the word to word meanings to understand this.

there are many many free arabic courses available, even on youtube. with the notes and books and everything. if you are interested, let me know. ill share some links.

anatolian
07-16-2023, 03:17 PM
Its better to read and unserstand in the original arabic but this requires a lot of study. If you cant do this you can read its translations to understand.

Ümit
07-17-2023, 06:25 AM
You get credit for reading Quraan in Arabic. Probably even more credit because you do not understand what you are reading because if you do not know what you are reading your motivation to continue will be lower.
So, reading in Arabic is a very good thing to do.

on the other hand, you also want to understand what you are reading. So, reading in English will boost your knowledge about Islaam. You will get credits for that too...especially if you share your knowledge with others.

So both reading Quraan in Arabic as in English is good for different reasons. You should determine your purpose and make your decision depending on that.

I am told that (I do not know whether it is true or not, maybe there are brothers here that can confirm) the angels are not able to recite the Quraan. They just do not have that ability. So, whenever someone is reciting Quraan in Arabic, they come and gather around that person just to listen. And they make lots of dua to Allah about that person afterwards.
That's another thing to conssider.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
spikyboi
07-17-2023, 11:00 AM
thank you so much guys :D
i really appreciate your help, you were so nice about it too :D :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.