/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslim Not Attending (Non-Muslim) Family Events

INFJkitty
11-13-2023, 12:08 PM
As Salaamu Alaikum brothers and sisters,
I am a convert Muslim and have been for one year Alhamdulillah.
I have been having an emotional battle since yesterday.
A few months ago, one of my closest cousins who is male, passed away in a very sad and unexpected manner. I have a big family and a lot of so my cousins family (the one who passed away) threw a big celebration for my cousin Joshua yesterday. A lot of family out of town came. I told my parents I would not be attending this event due to the fact that Alhamdulillah I just got married and it is important for me to stay and attend to my husband and not engage in this event. My mother was extremely upset, because family is a big deal to us. I felt so guilty and bad for not being there, but Allah swt brings ease to my heart because I didn’t go because 1. There would be free mixing, alcohol, music, etc. My family is all Christian and most of them do not know I converted to Islam. So I know majority would not understand me or my new behavior- for example not wanting to free mix of give hugs to male family members. I feel so misunderstood and judged when I think to myself that I missed the event. But I know as a Muslim woman it would be haram and bad for me to attend an event like this. I guess what I’m saying is converting to Islam changed my life in so many great ways. I just realize that as a Muslim woman I am now allowed to attend events of gathering like this for my family. I feel bad because I always was at family events, I love family and hold family close to my heart- I don’t want anyone to think wrong of me. But this is life and I am unapologetically Muslim and I thank Allah for guiding me to this. I guess I am just venting now- I am feeling this challenge of being a convert with my family. Staying home was the right thing to do- I just feel like I disappointed my family and they don’t understand why… Jazak Allahu Khairun

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.