/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Making Friends With Non-Muslims?

shanu
02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Assalamu alaikum
I was reading through the surah 5 of the Quran

And in the translation i saw this part
005.054 O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust.
Then i was wondering, how come? As i clearly know that Allah is not unjust
then i read the other parts
005.058 Your (real) friends are (no less than) God, His Apostle, and the (fellowship of) believers,- those who establish regular prayers and regular charity, and they bow down humbly (in worship).

005.059 As to those who turn (for friendship) to God, His Apostle, and the (fellowship of) believers,- it is the fellowship of God that must certainly triumph.

005.060 O ye who believe! take not for friends and protectors those who take your religion for a mockery or sport,- whether among those who received the Scripture before you, or among those who reject Faith; but fear ye God, if ye have faith (indeed).

005.061 When ye proclaim your call to prayer they take it (but) as mockery and sport; that is because they are a people without understanding.
-----

Then only i realised, what the surah was saying that we are not to take friends who mock our faith and religion, as if we move with them, we begin to lose faith in ourselves. And this was not referring to peaceful Christians and jews who dont mock us for our religion, and we can be friends with them.

005.085 Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are Christians": because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant.

005.086 And when they listen to the revelation received by the Apostle, thou wilt see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses.

005.087 "What cause can we have not to believe in God and the truth which has come to us, seeing that we long for our Lord to admit us to the company of the righteous?"

005.088 And for this their prayer hath God rewarded them with gardens, with rivers flowing underneath,- their eternal home. Such is the recompense of those who do good.
I started reading because i have an old uncle in london who says that we are not to have friends from other faith, I found this a little extreme, as i have full faith that Allah is most just. Well from what i understand here, The Quran actually referred to "friends" who mock our religion and make fun of us, and make us feel low abt ourselves. Truly, they cant be friends at all, as friends are those who support one another no matter where they come from. Friends are those who support and believe in us. Like for an example, a christian who does nothing to shake ur faith in ur religion, andwho doesnt mock you and support you when help is needed. Now that is what this is reffering to.

One fine example is our Prophet Mohammed pbuh, a man who lived like a walking Quran.

It was in Madinah that the Prophet (PBUH) received envoys and emissaries from various tribes and nationals, asking matters of various sorts, demanding dialogues, negotiations etc. Among the emissaries were an envoy representing the Christian community in Najran (South Arabia). The Prophet (PBUH) welcomed them, entertained them as honoured guests and even allowed them to conduct their religious service in his city.

It was a good occasion to share each other's views on matters of religion. Some members of the envoy were deeply impressed by the treatment they received from the Muslims, thus leading them to embrace Islam.

Some people take a dim view on islam, as they feel we were told to hate christians and jews, and not take them as friends. As you can see from above, The prophet treated them kindly and didnt kill them nor hate them for the differnt faiths they emerge from, Instead, he embraced them and treated them with honour. Like i said earlier, what they are reffering to is people who mock you and make you feel stupid. Such are not friends at all. There are even Christians in this forum who speak kindly to us, furthermore some of us muslims today were jews and christians before.

Allah knows best

Peace on you all

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
02-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Jazakallah, but the thing is, i don't have any non muslim freinds, cos i go to an Islamic school, so i'm Saved from breaking many freindships....

And besides that, i don't hang around on the streets so i can't mix with many people from outside of school...I don't wanna be a "GANGSTA"

shanu
02-18-2006, 06:22 PM
well, i have a friend who is a buddhist, a student who is buddhist but talk abt islam, But they dont mock our religion, my buddist friend was even interested in a miswaak

Whereas, ma sis has many non muslim friends, but none mocks islam. In fact they come over to help for eid, and we teach them some stories abt islam smtimes

shorouk
02-18-2006, 06:51 PM
look u can be friends work togther, etc but just do not b influenced from the religion side...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
family
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
:sl:
Can we be friends with the non-muslims? i'm kind of confused.
Wasalaam

Kittygyal
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
yes u can y not????

mathematicci
03-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Of course you can, but not with their non-Muslimness.Non_MUslims are not enemy of Islam.Opinion of non-muslim is foe of Islam.For example when you have a wive beleive in Christianity or Jewish, of course you will love her.We do not have any problem with individuals, but opinions...Esselamu aleykum...

mahuruf
03-01-2006, 08:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by family
Can we be friends with the non-muslims? i'm kind of confused.
Wasalaam
Sister, please refer the following verses from the Holy Book. Allah (SWT) answers your questions. 60:4, 5:51, 60:1, 9:23, 58:22, 5:55 – 56, 48:29, 49:10, 59:10,

May Allah’s Peace and Blessings be up on us all

nihma333
03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes you can befriend non'Muslims: however; that friendship has restrictions. And I'm going to make a point to be VERY VERY careful on who you befriend, especially if he/she is non-Muslim, because they aren't thinking the same way as yourself, and you don't want to compromise your beliefs for a friendship.

peace,Naimah

bezimany 071
03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nihma333
Yes you can befriend non'Muslims: however; that friendship has restrictions. And I'm going to make a point to be VERY VERY careful on who you befriend, especially if he/she is non-Muslim, because they aren't thinking the same way as yourself, and you don't want to compromise your beliefs for a friendship.

peace,Naimah

that is true....they might expect you to change your ways for them, because in their head they are correct......so as long as you stay on top of your deen its cool who ever you make friends with, but never compromise Islam for anyone, muslim or non muslim

peace
bez

family
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahuruf
Sister, please refer the following verses from the Holy Book. Allah (SWT) answers your questions. 60:4, 5:51, 60:1, 9:23, 58:22, 5:55 – 56, 48:29, 49:10, 59:10,

May Allah’s Peace and Blessings be up on us all
Shukrun brother
It was very helpful

Muhammad
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM

Threads merged.

Please also see: http://www.load-islam.com/C/rebuttals/Misquoted/#19

Jazakallahu Khayr,

:w:

shanu
03-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Have friends, but not those who make fun of ur faith
Because faith is like ur skin
its part of u
A true friendship is beyound skin
And true friends would never make fun of ur religion
Thats wat the verses intrepret
Dont take those who mock u
As u will lose faith in ur belief
So be careful who u make friendship with

Guli7
03-30-2006, 01:00 AM
well the friends that I have or have had don't mock my religion or faith (at least not in front of me)

I usually am close friends with those who are sincere anyway. Otherwise I try not to get too close to anyone and form new friendships for I want to keep in touch with my relatives/cousins first and foremost.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.