/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Extremist or Fundamentalist?

nimrod
03-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question about how the news media describes militant Muslims. At times I see them described as "extremist" and other times as "fundamentalist".

Are either of these terms correctly used? If so what would be a good discription of any differences?

Thanks
Nimrod

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Knight
03-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Extremist refer to those who would use extreme means to achieve an end, like suicide bombing for example. Fundamentalist refer to those who go back to the root, fundamental teachings of belief/religion, without the hassle of innovations.

I find it somewhat disturbing that Western medias have opted to use extremist and fundamentalist interchangebly.

renak
03-11-2006, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim knight
Extremist refer to those who would use extreme means to achieve an end, like suicide bombing for example. Fundamentalist refer to those who go back to the root, fundamental teachings of belief/religion, without the hassle of innovations.

I find it somewhat disturbing that Western medias have opted to use extremist and fundamentalist interchangebly.

I had never thought about the usage of extremist and fundamentalist. You are correct, the media does use them interchangably. However, they don't use the terms interchangably when referring to Christianity. hmmmm

Muslim Knight
03-11-2006, 03:57 AM
In my opinion I would see Salafis and Ahlil Sunnah wal Jamaah could be called as fundamentalists, but of course this does not necessarily mean they are extremists because the fundamental teachings of Islam urge Muslims and People of the Book not to go into the extremes of their religions.

Extremists should be those who try to achieve their ends using extreme measures; economic manipulations resulting in misery of others, going to war with reasons under cover, killing without justification etc. In this case extremists should not be identified with their religion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
renak
03-11-2006, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim knight
In my opinion I would see Salafis and Ahlil Sunnah wal Jamaah could be called as fundamentalists, but of course this does not necessarily mean they are extremists because the fundamental teachings of Islam urge Muslims and People of the Book not to go into the extremes of their religions.

Extremists should be those who try to achieve their ends using extreme measures; economic manipulations resulting in misery of others, going to war with reasons under cover, killing without justification etc. In this case extremists should not be identified with their religion.

True when one reaches the category of extremist, they more than likely have abandoned the core beliefs of their religion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.