/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Milk and fish

Shining Star
03-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Is it true that milk and fish should not be eaten together?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SJ2000
:sl:
As kids we were told the same thing and after doing some research on it I found it to be true.. here's a short list of foods that shouldn't be combined according to the principles ayurveda:

INCOMPATIBLE FOOD COMBINATIONS

Milk Is Incompatible With:

Bananas
Fish
Meat
Melons
Curd
Sour Fruits
Kitchari
Bread containing yeast
Cherries

Melons Are Incompatible With:
Grains
Starch
Fried foods
Cheese

Starches Are Incompatible With:
Eggs
Milk
Bananas
Dates

Honey Is Incompatible With:
Ghee (in equal proportions)
Heating or cooking with.

Radishes Are Incompatible With:
Milk
Bananas
Raisins

Nightshades, (Potato, Tomato, Brinjal, Chilies) Are Incompatible With:
Yogurt
Milk
Melon
Cucumber

Yogurt Is Incompatible With:
Milk
Sour Fruits
Melons
Hot drinks
Meat
Fish
Mangoes
Starch

Eggs Are Incompatible With:
Milk
Meat
Yogurt
Melons
Cheese
Fish
Bananas

Mangos Are Incompatible With:
Yogurt
Cheese
Cucumbers

Corn Is Incompatible With:
Dates
Raisins
Bananas

Lemon Is Incompatible With:
Yogurt
Milk
Cucumbers
Tomatoes

Source:http://www.niam.com/corp-web/foodcomb.html

Halima
03-13-2006, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shining Star

Assalaam Alaykum.

I think this is something that cats are not supposed to eat or else they will become sick.

:w:

mizan_aliashraf
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Salam
Milk and Fish? Together? No way, yuk!
Wassalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nawal89
03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Whoever learned arabic grammer out there would know that there is a whole 2 or three lessons over the gramattical rules in the sentence "laa ta'kul assamaka wa tashrab allaban."

dont eat fish and drink the milk.

looooool. I asked my teacher if it was true, that we shouldnt eat milk and fish together and she said yessss. lol.

mizan_aliashraf
03-13-2006, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Nawal89;209874]Whoever learned arabic grammer out there would know that there is a whole 2 or three lessons over the gramattical rules in the sentence "laa ta'kul assamaka wa tashrab allaban."

Yep, i know what you mean
Wassalam

Muezzin
03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Salam
Milk and Fish? Together? No way, yuk!
Wassalam
I agree. Who the heck eats milk and fish together anyway?

Also, I might be mistaken, but I think it's the part of the Jewish belief that milk and fish should not be taken together.

Just an observation. All these religious dietary requirements do serve a practical purpose, whatever religion a person is. That's pretty cool. :brother:

The Ruler
03-13-2006, 07:43 PM
ermmm...sumtimes i c ppl cukin meat wid a lil bit o milk in der...wat bout dat :?

Shining Star
03-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I was just asking because I heard somewhere that the Prophet SAW recommended that some foods not be mixed, such as milk and fish.

Oh and Halima, are you joking?! I think its chocolate that cats can't eat!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
03-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info Muslimah_sis, i have always heard of certain foods being incompatible with other but wasnt too sure if it was true.

Well people could possible have fish and have tea aftrwards, I wonder if thart is same? but apprently that skin condition can occur (virloo)

arehat
03-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Yah i was always tld milk and fish should not be eaten to toghether

Name
03-14-2006, 12:25 AM
thankytou brother or sister

Halima
03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I was just asking because I heard somewhere that the Prophet SAW recommended that some foods not be mixed, such as milk and fish.

Oh and Halima, are you joking?! I think its chocolate that cats can't eat!

haha No, i'm not joking. I would always see in the cartoons cats in the alley drinking milk and chasing after fish up til now that is what I have always thought that is what they eat. Until one day I asked this one lady that gave her cats to me and she specially said food like that can really make them sick. So its my best bet that they just eat alot of protein even when they would go hunting.

Rabi'ya
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
seriously im confused by this.

The above says that tomato and cucumber should not be eaten totgether...so i guess we cant have salad no more :?

also have you ever eaten white fish which has been cooked in milk? its really nice. a lot of old british people enjoy cooking fish this way.

are there medical reasons for it? or is it just superstition?

Rabi'ya:rose

Shining Star
03-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Hee hee ok.

aakhirah
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM
It's commonly accepted in the asian community that milk and fish can't be eaten together. They believe it can result in adverse skin effects, like spots, but I can't confirm this.

And, by the way, it's not "disgusting" (as someone put it) to have, for example, fried fish followed by rice pudding (as dessert)!

A.

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah
It's commonly accepted in the asian community that milk and fish can't be eaten together. They believe it can result in adverse skin effects, like spots, but I can't confirm this.

And, by the way, it's not "disgusting" (as someone put it) to have, for example, fried fish followed by rice pudding (as dessert)!

A.

Fried Fish? do you know how much fat it has in it.
And the Rice Pudding is eaten after the fish NOT WITH IT!!!:rant: :rant: :rant:
Jazakillah
Wassalam

Rabi'ya
03-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Fried Fish? do you know how much fat it has in it.
what if it was friend in milk - not in oil?

Rabi'ya:rose:

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
what if it was friend in milk - not in oil?

can you fry in milk? new to me, and i can cook! Who knows, i might go home and try it, but if my place goes up in flames i know where to come for the insurance lol
Wassalam

aakhirah
03-14-2006, 03:04 PM
And the Rice Pudding is eaten after the fish NOT WITH IT...
But that's the problem: according to the 'saying' you're supposed to wait until the counterpart has been digested before you can have the other! Therefore, having rice pudding immediately after the fish could also be detrimental to health (and don't quote me on this one; I'm just going with the asian flow!).

A.

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah
But that's the problem: according to the 'saying' you're supposed to wait until the counterpart has been digested before you can have the other! Therefore, having rice pudding immediately after the fish could also be detrimental to health (and don't quote me on this one; I'm just going with the asian flow!).

A.

Hmmm, im asian but i dont eat like one lol

Rabi'ya
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
put the fish in a frying pan...pour the milk over it and leave to cook :) can add a little butter too - its not too bad

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Salam
Does it really work? wow. i didnt know you could fry in milk
Wasalam

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2006, 03:12 PM
i love milk and banana?

whats wrong wiv havin milk wiv banana?
ive been having it everynight for years :?

mizan_aliashraf
03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
i love milk and banana?

Sorry bro, you seem to have lost me. Who said banana? I love them, but not with milk lol. I dont drink milk at all.
Wassalam

Rabi'ya
03-14-2006, 03:14 PM
i dunno. seems like a load of rubbish to me. I eat cucumber and tomato sandwiches. ive had milk and fish and like u said milk and bananas

strange info if u ask me

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry bro, you seem to have lost me. Who said banana? I love them, but not with milk lol. I dont drink milk at all.
Wassalam
lol you must have some weak bones and teeth :p

where do u get ur calcium from if you dont drink milk :? :sl:

Rabi'ya
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Im allergic to cows milk as it is on its own. but u can get calcium from many other places. all dairy products :)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Im allergic to cows milk as it is on its own. but u can get calcium from many other places. all dairy products :)

whats the big difference between cows milk and dairy milk :? :?

lol one comes from an udder the other from a machine?

bint-ul-islam
03-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Assalamoalykum,
i also agree that fish and milk should not be eaten together....
and one thing more ...i had also read any where that meat and milk should be taken with the gap of 2 hours otherwise calcium of milk is not gained properly.
and about milk and banana , i donot agree ...because many ppl including me love banana shake and nothing happens. :)

Shining Star
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey look what I found:

Question :

Did Muhhamad(SAW) ever teach people not to eat Fish and Milk together??

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It was not narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade drinking milk at the same time as eating fish. Since no such thing has been proven, then we should refer to the doctors concerning this issue. If they say that eating these things together is harmful, then they should not be eaten together, rather they should be eaten separately. But if there is no harm in eating them together, then you may do so if you wish. It may be that eating them together is harmful for some people, because of individual sensitivities or allergies, or the nature of their bodies, whilst it is not harmful to others. In conclusion, this matter should be referred to the experts. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

arehat
03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Intresting Jazakallah

Rabi'ya
03-16-2006, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
whats the big difference between cows milk and dairy milk :? :?

lol one comes from an udder the other from a machine?
dairy is cows

i cant have cows milk in its original form :?

Rabiya:rose:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-16-2006, 04:15 PM
dairy is cows

i cant have cows milk in its original form :?

Rabiya:rose:
lol do you happen to kno why :?

Rabi'ya
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
dunno - its makes my eczema worse...if i give up milk - its gets better.
dunno whts in milk that some people are allergic to - is it lactose?

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-17-2006, 12:15 AM

You are just sooooooo cute:happy:!!!!!

Milk and fish are a disgusting combination to start with!!!:heated:

HeiGou
03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
A sgnificant proportion of the world's population is lactose intolerant meaning they cannot digest cow's milk. It is especially common in East Asians.

amirah_87
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
Whoever learned arabic grammer out there would know that there is a whole 2 or three lessons over the gramattical rules in the sentence "laa ta'kul assamaka wa tashrab allaban."

looooool. I asked my teacher if it was true, that we shouldnt eat milk and fish together and she said yessss. lol.

yeah!!! the lessons on that was soooo fun 'n' intresting ,the best chapter in the book for me ..........anyway i heard a couple of shuyukh say that this combination leads to people gettin baras (leprosy!!!!!!!!!!)
so be careful guys:skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton:

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
i was gona start a new thread bout this, but bless the jolly old search button:D

is the milk fish thin true? and why not eat it?

why dont anythin happen when you bust maccy d, fillet fish and milkshake?

anyone....:D

.:Umniyah:.
05-27-2007, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
i was gona start a new thread bout this, but bless the jolly old search button:D

is the milk fish thin true? and why not eat it?

why dont anythin happen when you bust maccy d, fillet fish and milkshake?
anyone....:D
loool that sounds hilarious sorry. And what if you make coconut milk rice and fish? does that count?

chacha_jalebi
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
^ innit thou :p

is it trueee :mmokay:

MuslimSis&proud
05-27-2007, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i love milk and banana?

yeah that confused me too, i've had homemade banana milkshakes many times before,:? And also as asians we always have cucumber and tomatoes in yoghurt,with rice,and we've been eating them together since i can remember. This info has confused me now,:? but still jazakAllah to the sister that gave the list with the incompatible food combinations.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 05:43 PM
It is odd. In different countries I been in and even here in the US in different states, there is much disagreement as to what Milk is incompatable with. Here in the southern states it is usually believe that it is not compatable with fish, however in Louisiana it is considered compatable with fish but deadly poison if combined with meat, especialy beef.

In the North East Sea food chowders are an old mainstay of the diet and those are fish and milk. So is baked fish and poached fish, which are prepared with milk.

H4RUN
05-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Its a strange world out there.....:p

Going back to Muslimah_sis' first post...Milk and eggs:p it sounds a bit iffy but i've been making milkshakes with milk and u guessed it egg, ahem, RAW:p Well only the egg white...and i dont see anything different, im still standing:D

And who said cucumber n tomatoes dont go:p u must have the bestest salad ever then....just onions:p

Muezzin
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is odd. In different countries I been in and even here in the US in different states, there is much disagreement as to what Milk is incompatable with. Here in the southern states it is usually believe that it is not compatable with fish, however in Louisiana it is considered compatable with fish but deadly poison if combined with meat, especialy beef.
Who the heck drinks milk with meat anyway?

Unless you count fastfood milkshakes as milk. But then you'd have to count fastfood burgers as meat. Which is just wrong.

Gangster No.1
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
yep you have milk and fish 2gther, becuz you start 2 get sum sort of spots!!!

serious, thats what i heard.

why dont you try it and let us know, lol

Kittygyal
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gangster No.1
yep you have milk and fish 2gther, becuz you start 2 get sum sort of spots!!!

serious, thats what i heard.

why dont you try it and let us know, lol
Salamualikum.
it's not spots but it white patches you have. You get them when you drink milk after you had fish or even together.
But hey it's a kinda white tan i guess :laugh:
ma'assalama

sem
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
hahahha,ma parents said not to eat fish and milk together, i asked my biology teacher and he said its a myth.ive heard that people get white patches on their skin,but ive ate fish n milk nothings mashallah hapnd 2 me.

smile
06-22-2007, 05:12 PM
I just mix anything, I don't have time to check which is a starch or milk

lol

but I know not to have milk and fish

Maidah
06-22-2007, 05:47 PM
the white patches theory is correct. I know a friend of mine who devolped that because she used to have fish with milk. However it is not with all kinds of fish, only some rare ones that you prolly don't eat in everyday life anyways.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
ok about bananas and milk, i dunt see what the prob is wit that. Ive made shakes out of it with almonds in it too. And to be honest, it helps my skin :D

BanGuLLy
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I Drink Banana Milkshake :)

Woodrow
06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
I had never heard milk and fish were not supposed to be eaten together, until I moved into Southern USA.

Milk and fish dishes are very common around the world and I never heard of anybody getting sick.

Baked Milk Fish
Submitted by: Debbie
Rated: 3 out of 5 by 18 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 25 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
"Cod filets baked in milk infused with lemon pepper, lemon juice and onion."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon pepper

1 teaspoon dried parsley
salt to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Rinse cod filets and pat dry. Place fish in a single layer in the baking dish. Mix together milk, onion, lemon pepper, parsley and salt; pour over fish filets. Drizzle filets with lemon juice.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until fish is firm and can be flaked with a fork.
Oven-Poached Fish
From Fiona Haynes,
Your Guide to Low Fat Cooking.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
This healthy low fat fish dish has few ingredients and can be on the table in about 20 minutes. The recipe can be easily halved or doubled.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
* 4 cod fillets or similar mild-tasting, firm white fish
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup nonfat milk
* 1 cup broccoli florets
* 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray Heat a small skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray on medium heat; add leeks and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened. Scatter sliced leek over bottom of a baking dish large enough to hold the fish in a single layer.
Sponsored Links

Weight Watchers RecipesFind 100's of delicious & healthy recipes. Official Site - Go Now!www.WeightWatchers.com

Fish RecipesGet Recipes, Cooking Tips, Meal Ideas & More at MarthaStewart.com.MarthaStewart.com

Low Fat Baked Fish RecipeGet Delicious Baked Fish Recipes From Grandma's Recipe Book. Free!www.GrandmasRecipeBook.com
Lay fish on top of leeks, scatter broccoli florets around fish. Sprinkle fish and vegetables with freshly ground black pepper. Pour milk over fish and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 15-18 minutes.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 275, Calories from Fat 57, total Fat 6.5g (sat 2.3g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 879mg, Fiber 4.9g, Protein 16g
Creamy Fish Chowder

I have never met a fish stew or chowder I didn't like. One of my favorites is a milk based stew. It is very mild and is best with a white meat fish. Bass or crappie from freshwater and flounder, grouper or sea bass from the ocean work well.

Ingredients:
Fish - make it as thick with fish as you want I usually use four 2-pound bass for a six quart pot of stew.
Bacon - three strips < Leave out, I left the recipe alone, to warn if you ever see it in a sea food restaurant)
Onion - one large mild onion
Potatoes or rice- again, make it as thick as you want
butter - 1/4 poujnd stick - but make it as rich as you want
milk - up to one gallon

Boil your fish and remove the bones. Fry up the bacon and crumble it up Sautee diced onion in bacon grease. Flake the fish into a pot, add the bacon, onions and butter, cover with milk and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add some salt and pepper while cooking. Add diced potatoes or rice to make a heartier stew, or more milk for a soup. It is almost as good as New England clam chowder. I use rice milk since I am allergic to real milk, and although not as good as the real thing, it ain't bad.

There are many more recipes. Also think of all of the kids around the world that often get Tuna fish sandwiches and a glass of milk for lunch and never get sick or have problems.

Why don't we eat fish and curd at a time?

Myth: Fish and curd should not be consumed together as they cause stomach cramps or white patches on the skin.

Fact: There is no scientific basis for this belief. In fact, in most continental cuisines, meat and fish products are either marinated or cooked in milk and/or milk products. The white patches could be due to any vitamin deficiency or skin pigmentation. .

Now as far as it being Haram, all I know is fish is halal (for most fish)

Milk is halal(for most milk)

I have not seen anything Islamic that would make the 2 together haram. But, I do not know everything and am still learning much about Islam.

vorx
06-24-2007, 04:07 AM
:sl: Muslimah_Sis,

Thanks for the long list as i became a health freak. I have few food allergies and I should concider the source you came up with..

I know Jewish people don't mix dairy with meat. It could be healthy but i gotta ask a jewish friend for that.
=)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-24-2007, 05:50 PM
well what about when eating tuna sandwiches? when i do eat it, i eat it wit mayo... Mayo has MILK and tuna is a FISH. ive been eating it like that since i was lil..nuttin happened to me. im actually eating it right now ;D lol.

Trumble
06-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Did you fish-eaters know that an estimated 300,000 dolphins and whales are 'accidently' killed each year by commercial fishing?

Something to ponder on next time you tuck into your tuna sandwich or fish 'n chips.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
^^ +o(. I better not be eating dolphins and whales :rolleyes: :X I barely eat tuna...but I cant say I hate it.

Trumble
06-24-2007, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^ +o(. I better not be eating dolphins and whales :rolleyes: :X I barely eat tuna...but I cant say I hate it.
No.. sorry Jazzy, didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying dead whale and dolphin gets in with the fish you eat (although what your cat eats might be a different matter). The animals get caught up in the nets, drown and are just chucked overboard.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-25-2007, 03:01 AM
^^+o( thats sick, poor animals!

vorx
06-25-2007, 03:54 AM
I love all sort of fish. I'll even eat a mermaid haha

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-25-2007, 04:01 AM
LoL why would u :p Its half human ;D
im messin.

north_malaysian
06-25-2007, 04:05 AM
We Malaysians cook the fish with "milk"....coconut milk :okay:

Yanal
06-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Asalam alkum i have been taught that not to eat milk after eating fish i think because you might get a stomotch ace please forgive me of the spelling mistakes

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.