/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Find this hadith

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2005, 03:01 AM
:sl: I can't seem to locate the hadith "The Amir of a people is their servant". Can anyone find it for me, and if they could provide the authenticity classification of the hadith as well, it would be very appreciated.

If there are other hadith with a similar meaning, it would also be appreciated.

JazakAllah khair, in advance.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Anyone?

Khattab
04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Salam brother,

Are you talking about the Khilafah, for example, is meant to be the servant of the people, because I have heard this before?

Khattab
04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
A distinct characteristic of Islam is its teaching to provide justice even before a person calls for it. The political leadership is not to ‘rule’ but to ‘serve’ the people. The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said:

"One who assumed a position of responsibility for the collective affairs of Muslims but did not perform his duties for their well-being or did not toil and take pain for them as he toiled for himself, Allah will throw him face-down in the Hell."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Is this Bukhari or Muslim?

Have you found anything like the hadith I posted? Not necessarily the khalifa, but any Ameer or leader.

Khattab
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Salam Ansar, The site did not state where it was Bukhari or Muslim: http://jamaat.org/Isharat/1999/0399.html

I have been looking but cant find anything to specific, here are two things that may be of interest, one link and a hadeeth.

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/eng...hFatwaID=97509

You have the honour of being among the earliest who accepted Islam as well as being a relation of the Prophet of Allah. By God! If you are entrusted with Khilafat, promise that you will rule with justice and if ‘Uthman (rta) is made the Khalifah, you shall listen to him and obey him. (Ibn Sa‘ad, Al-Tabaqatu’l-Kubra, vol. 3, [Beirut: Dar Sadir, 1960], p. 339)

Khattab
04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Imam Ali, the fourth khalifah, in discussing the qualities of a leader said:

"O People! You know that it is not fitting that one who is greedy and parsimonious should attain rule and authority over the honour, lives and incomes of the Muslims, and the laws and ordinances enforced among them, and also leadership of them. Furthermore, he should not be ignorant and unaware of the law, lest in his ignorance he misleads the people. He must not be unjust and harsh, causing people to cease all traffic and dealings with him because of his oppressiveness. Nor must he fear states, so that he seeks the friendship of some and treats others with enmity. He must refrain from accepting bribes when he sits in judgement, so that the rights of men are trampled underfoot and the claimant does not receive his due. He must not leave the Sunnah of the Prophet and the law in abeyance, so that the community falls into misguidance and peril."

Nahjul Balagha, p.50, quoted in Imam Khomeini: Islam and Revolution: Writings and Declarations of Imam Khomeini; edited and annotated by Hamid Algar, Mizan Press, Berkeley, CA, US. 1981. p.67.

Not a hadeeth but may be of use.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2005, 01:34 AM
JazakAllah khair br. Khattab.

I'm still hoping someone might be able to find something closer to the hadith.
Something that shows that leadership does not equate superiority.

kadafi
04-22-2005, 04:03 PM
:sl:

I could not find the reference to the hadith bro, but I did find a few of these wordings on a sect site (more like a story):

At this moment, a voice from within the tent announced a newcomer.

"Amir ul-Muminin!" said the visitor’s wife. "Congratulate your friend. God has blessed him with a son."

The Bedouin was taken aback at the words, Amir ul-Muminin. His visitor was the caliph, himself. He was overtaken by fear.

"I beg your pardon, Amir ul-Muminin," he said, with fear on his face. "I have been rude to you."

"Don’t worry about that, friend," Umar reassured him. "You are just as much a human being as I am. In the sight of God, there is neither high nor low. We are all equal. God loves those who love His creatures. I have only done my duty, for, in Islam, the leader of a people means the servant of the people."

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
That was the Qadiani site, yes I saw that as well.

Perhaps the hadith is not as authentic as I thought. :(

kadafi
04-22-2005, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
That was the Qadiani site, yes I saw that as well.

Perhaps the hadith is not as authentic as I thought. :(
:sl: but does the hadith even exist?

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I read it in a book a while ago, and I was almost postive it labelled it from one of the reliable collections. Now I can't remember which book it was in, and I can't find the hadith either.

Khattab
04-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Salam brother Ansar,

I asked the Sheik here and he says a hadeeth like this does exists, it goes something like this it is about Abu Bakir (ra) when he was appointed the ameer (leader) of a group who where traveling and he said along these lines my job as ameer is to serve the people. He gave me the reference but I couldnt write it down but inshallah I will try and get it for you on Sunday after work.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-22-2005, 11:35 PM
JazakAllah khair br. Khattab for your help. I would really appreciate it if you could get the reference for me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.